Author Topic: Press Briefing in DC  (Read 8451 times)

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Press Briefing in DC
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2005, 05:11:00 PM »
Heres the original source of Kenny's famous quote:

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/des ... rate.shtml

Other criticism of the organization came earlier this year from a company executive shortly after he temporarily left its staff.

"These people are basically a bunch of untrained people who work for this organization," Ken Kay told the Denver Rocky Mountain News in an interview before he rejoined Teen Help as a vice president. "So they don't have credentials of any kind. ...

"We could be leading these kids to long-term problems that we don't have a clue about because we're not going about it in the proper way. ...

"How in the hell can you call yourself a behavior modification program -- and that's one of the ways it's marketed -- when nobody has the expertise to determine: Is this good, is this bad?"

If you've not read the Desperate Measure's series, you should.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Press Briefing in DC
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2005, 05:24:00 PM »
People who think that residential treatment facilities for teens should have oversight and regulation are "wackos" and "clowns?"

Are you saying these programs should continue to be unregulated, Dolphin?

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Press Briefing in DC
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2005, 06:16:00 PM »
Who is fooling who?  
1.   The mental health industry has been shrinking (no pun intended) for decades in part due to medications and fix all drugs (Prozac etc.) which you can get from your primary MD.  Do you think they want to jump in and shut everything down?  No way, they want oversight, to put there controls in, do control studies, look at how many kids do well how many fail.  Improve the system and create jobs for their field.  
2.   The government on the other hand isn?t going to get involved to shut things down either.  That has never happened once (look at smoking) They want regulation they want a piece of it.  They aren?t going to spend tax payers dollars to shut things down.  The parents will send their kids off shore.
3.  These private schools couldn?t get a loan from a bank to by a paint brush.  It is all private money.  The banks dont want to get involved because it is too risky, someone could sue and shut the whole school down.  So once the feds regulate and put the "Good housekeeping seal" on some of these places, the banks will get loan guarantees and start lending these schools money so they can expand.
4.  If the Feds guarantee the loans they are going to want the schools to accept low income kids.
5.  If the feds and mental health people see a benefit after monitoring these schools for a few years BCBS and other insurers and the like will be forced to consider paying a portion if deemed necessary by a school or doctor.
6.  The more schools that open the lower the price will get and the more affordable it will become for middle income families (thats the target audience) Right now there is a need but the private schools are too expensive for most.
7. Some of the lower end schools like I have heard about str8, seed etc.  will probably go under and some of the higher end school will have to offer something special to stay in buisness but the majority will grow and thrive.
8.  If people are mortgaging their houses and future to purchase somethign and it continues to grow the government is going to step in and try to get their shre thru regulation etc.

Do you really think all this is happening so they can shut an industry down?
How many think the teen help industry will be gone in 10 years, raise your hands....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Press Briefing in DC
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2005, 06:35:00 PM »
Nobody is saying that there isn't a place for private boarding schools... In Fact Dr. Friedman noted at the press conference that there is a need for some certain types of boarding schools... in particular, ones that have oversight and a proven and accepted by its peers program... WWASPS doesn't even come close to that... But another main point is that parents are jumping the gun with offing their kids to these places... More times than not, an approach that involves the kid's family and is not "prison" like will do wonders for a kid...
As Dr. Huffine and I discussed some of these things, he also noted that in his practice, he has an amazing success rate with kids by just meeting with them on a regular basis and talking through things (granted he is an exceptional person to talk to and probably more effective than others)... Many times kids react in the ways they do because they don't have someone to let it out with, or so many other issues that a well-trained mental health expert can remedy shortly...
I think what I just wrote might be a bit skewered..please forgive me :smile:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Press Briefing in DC
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2005, 07:04:00 PM »
Dolphin,  

I have talked to many kids and parents. None had a happy,pleasant thing to say about their experience.

The ones who have happy stories are the programed parents. Their kids are sad faced.  I have been looking and looking for the websites where the happy program kids are writing their stories.

Can you find one for us. Happy, glad to have gone stories.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Press Briefing in DC
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2005, 07:08:00 PM »
I don't think   I know.  Its you who ever you may be who is still  mulling over the use to be.....

Then you didnt know you thought you did..   Get on with life I have.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Press Briefing in DC
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2005, 07:20:00 PM »
On 2005-10-20 16:04:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

Dolphin,  

I have talked to many kids and parents. None had a happy,pleasant thing to say about their experience.

The ones who have happy stories are the programed parents. Their kids are sad faced.  I have been looking and looking for the websites where the happy program kids are writing their stories.

Can you find one for us. Happy, glad to have gone stories."
I have looked around and havent found many.  Most of the active sites are people who are very passionate, excited, angry, lots of energy.  Most of the kids I met are busy moving on, trying to catch up with school and some teen years they lost.  I have seen a few report in on this site but their stories arent received very well here by some and others may be reading but dont want to be hammered, labled stepford kids etc, so they move on (thats just speculation on my part, putting myself in their shoes etc.)
I dont think all program parents are happy, some dont do well having their kids away for so long and then coming home grown up, graduating from High school and on to college etc.  There are a lot of missed years there for some, not easy for most.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Press Briefing in DC
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2005, 10:47:00 PM »
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE HECK THIS IS SUPPOSED TO MEAN?????
On 2005-10-20 16:08:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

I don't think   I know.  Its you who ever you may be who is still  mulling over the use to be.....

Then you didnt know you thought you did..   Get on with life I have."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Press Briefing in DC
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2005, 11:16:00 PM »
Ya know, I used to really love dolphins..........when I was vacationing in Mexico I even swam with the dolphins!

Now, I don't like dolphins.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Press Briefing in DC
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2005, 12:46:00 AM »
On 2005-10-20 13:56:00, Dolphin wrote:

"Sounds to me like another misquote...Ken said what???

Anyone that reads newspapers and magazines or watches news reports can see that it's all about selling stories, not about the truth.  Too bad.  Many reporters could make a huge impact in more positive ways than writing stories that could eventually kill teens beceause the parents believed the crap the reporters wrote and didn't get effective help.

My opinion of the ?These people who want to stop all the progress because they have all the answers are wackos. They are just out of control,? Kay said."... is:  He wasn't saying that all the doctors, etc, were wackos. I read it as he was saying the ones that don't know the truth are just blindly believing reports like ISAC, or other slam sights (like this one) and not talking with even a few of the hundreds of families that had positive results. All they want to do is save their drug prescribing practices...

If they put out a message to these families, they would be happy to talk and Not the ones handpicked by Ken Kay or other program executives.     "

You sound like you just came from WWASPS Rebuttal site... Tell me this, what reporter recommended anything? All I've heard is the reporters repeating accounts from the kids about what they experienced at certain programs... I do not think the reporters ever said if your child is screwed up just leave him that way and let him die... no they are merely pointing out that a lot of these programs (especially wwasps) can be dangerous and that you'd better research it before you send them away... is that really too much to ask for?

As for your assumption of what "Ken" meant... So you think that all of these people sposoring this action don't know what they are talking about?  You did read all the sponsors didn't you? That's an awful lot of very well respected ignorami huh? I think what so many of you supporters don't get is the fact that if one child, let alone a protracted onslaught of children, has been abused then there is a problem... Jay Kay has admitted of past abuses, and did you not read the Ken Kay quote on the other page from 99? How do you defend that one? And why the hell do you guys seem to think that this is the only damn place to send them? There are literally thousands, and yet you stick by the ones that have had all of their other over-seas facilities raided and shut down for abuse... and you really think of yourself as a parent... its so sick... everytime I think about people defending it, with full knowledge of what is going on and all the warning flags out there... its so damn sick to send your kid to one of these places anyway... jesus

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Press Briefing in DC
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2005, 08:59:00 AM »
WWASPS parents are known to be the "worst of the worst".  Don't expect Dolphin to react with anything but venom.

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Press Briefing in DC
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2005, 05:00:00 PM »
On 2005-10-20 14:11:00, BuzzKill wrote:

"Heres the original source of Kenny's famous quote:

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/des ... rate.shtml

Other criticism of the organization came earlier this year from a company executive shortly after he temporarily left its staff.

"These people are basically a bunch of untrained people who work for this organization," Ken Kay told the Denver Rocky Mountain News in an interview before he rejoined Teen Help as a vice president. "So they don't have credentials of any kind. ...

"We could be leading these kids to long-term problems that we don't have a clue about because we're not going about it in the proper way. ...

"How in the hell can you call yourself a behavior modification program -- and that's one of the ways it's marketed -- when nobody has the expertise to determine: Is this good, is this bad?"

If you've not read the Desperate Measure's series, you should.

"

What year was that written???  1999?

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Press Briefing in DC
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2005, 06:04:00 PM »
An what has changed since 99, except wwasp re-hired and promoted Kenny?

Its a very well done article and is as relevant today as it was when it was written.

Anyone with any interest in these issues should read it in its entirety.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Press Briefing in DC
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2005, 06:44:00 PM »
On 2005-10-21 15:04:00, BuzzKill wrote:

"An what has changed since 99, except wwasp re-hired and promoted Kenny?

Its a very well done article and is as relevant today as it was when it was written.

Anyone with any interest in these issues should read it in its entirety.

"

Precisely! Though I would recommend the WWASPSIE parents read it twice, just to make sure they didn't miss the fact that this organization is nothing if not HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL.

Of course, they'd know this if their child was allowed to communicate openly and honestly with them and could TELL THEM THE TRUTH ... that Mom and Dad made a huge mistake and need to come and get them ASAP!!!!!

:smokin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Press Briefing in DC
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2005, 01:33:00 AM »
QUOTE: You first. Are you now or have you ever been affiliated w/ the Communist party?

Please, let's not go there. Every last parent who has firsthand experience w/ this industry got it by being reeled in by a slick edcon or other industry marketer. Some of those who wind up looking over this site were, indeed, taken in by the very charismatic, ambitious and successfull, Sue Scheff. Get over it already! /////////////

I second that, Ginger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get over it, folks, something good is happening here. Let's enjoy the moment and those to come.