Author Topic: Reasons for Parents to Steer Clear of RTCs  (Read 1558 times)

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
Reasons for Parents to Steer Clear of RTCs
« on: October 15, 2005, 10:33:00 PM »
http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs ... 20383/1018

Another 'safe' place for a teenager.

Westchester faces abuse suit

By TIMOTHY O'CONNOR
THE JOURNAL NEWS
 (Original publication: October 12, 2005)

WHITE PLAINS ? The boy who said he was sexually assaulted two years ago by a fellow Children's Village resident while a counselor held him down is suing Westchester County, the residential treatment center and his two accused abusers in a federal court.

The boy asks for at least $40 million in damages in the lawsuit that says his civil rights were violated.

A jury acquitted the counselor, Jason Brown, of 138 Archer Ave., Mount Vernon, of all charges. Elliot Perryman, then a 16-year-old resident of the treatment center in Dobbs Ferry, pleaded guilty to second-degree assault, admitting he injured the boy with a broomstick on the night of Nov. 20, 2003, but not admitting to any sexual assault.

The boy filed suit earlier this year in U.S. District Court in Manhattan. A federal judge ordered the case sealed, and the public was not privy to filings in the case. The case was eventually moved to U.S. District Court in White Plains, where Judge Charles Brieant ordered it unsealed, but allowed the boy to file anonymously under the pseudonym John Doe.

In the lawsuit, the boy, who was 14 at the time of the incident, says the Nov. 20 assault was not the only time he was abused.

"This attack was the culmination of a series of abusive acts that were inflicted upon John Doe while he was at Children's Village by Brown, Perryman and others," his attorney, Alan Vinegrad, wrote in the complaint.

In the Nov. 20 incident, the boy said Brown and Perryman chased him into a shower room at Wolfe Cottage. The boy said Brown held him down while Perryman sexually assaulted him with the broomstick.

Vinegrad did not return calls seeking comment on the case.

In court papers, the county and Children's Village have denied any wrongdoing. Brown and Perryman have not filed any response to the complaint.

The county will not be held liable if any damages are awarded in the case, said Susan Tolchin, chief adviser to County Executive Andrew Spano. Tolchin said by the terms of a contract the county has with Children's Village, the treatment center is responsible in case of any lawsuit.

Linda Stutz, the vice president for institutional advancement at Children's Village, declined to comment on the case, saying the treatment center does not speak about pending litigation.

Brown could not be reached for comment. Perryman, now 18, is in Downstate Correctional Facility in Fishkill, where he is serving a sentence of one to three years, said Carter Perryman, his uncle and guardian. Carter Perryman said his nephew was a victim in the case, just like the boy. Perryman had been sexually abused as a boy, his uncle said, and should have received better treatment at Children's Village.

"All this was in his history. They should have foreseen this," he said. "The suit should be addressed to the people in charge there, not my nephew."

The complaint lists five other incidents of alleged abuse by Brown, Perryman, and another unnamed resident against the boy and other residents.

Lawyers for both sides are due back in court Nov. 10.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 10:34:00 PM »
This girl is one of six children whose sexual assaults in Allegheny County group homes and treatment facilities have led to criminal charges against workers in the past three years.

An unknown number of other children were molested by workers, but criminal charges were not filed, including a case at The Academy in Pittsburgh in 2003.

And those are just the cases in which children came forward. No one knows how many times they didn't, not in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania or the nation.

Abusers sense something else about the children as well, Carrasco said: "The perpetrators know that no one will believe these kids."

Some agencies believe, however, that sexual assaults can't be avoided. Kevin Jenkins, executive director of Holy Family Institute in Emsworth, said, "Unfortunately, incidents like this do happen in a facility like ours."

The state Department of Public Welfare almost never sanctions group homes where staff sexually assault children.

Such lax enforcement isn't unique to Pennsylvania.

More cause for parents to be warned away from RTCs. It is a long article, so I only picked out selected quotes.   

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05264/574975.stm

More...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05261/573630.stm

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 11:24:00 PM »
Wow. Dobbs Ferry. That's right near where I used to go to school when I lived at a children's home in Yonkers.

(That's right. I was put in placement twice. First in Yonkers, then at  RMA/CEDU.)

But actually, the place in Yonkers was decent. No brainwashing bullshit to speak of, and I actually have some fond memories from there. Especially all of the trouble my friends and I would get into.

I can't remember if I'd heard of the Dobbs Ferry place before or not. There were quite a few places of varying degrees of security in Westchester county. (For instance, the place I went to was pretty ok, but there was a place across the street that we heard awful things about.) This Dobbs Ferry place sounds pretty awful, too.

What's the difference between a Residential Treatment Center and a Behavior Mod school? Is an RTC like a group home or more like a lock up? (We called lock ups the places where they would restrain you and they had "quiet rooms" and stuff like that.)

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 05:42:00 AM »
Its all a marketing term. In the ABUSIVE ones, the difference is like that between six and half a dozen.

Ideally, RTC would imply its actually a therapy center that has dorms, etc on site for whatever reason. Though I dont see why youd need to for therapy, but the idealized sense of some palacial, resort-type place to emotionally convalesce (like what a lot of program brochures claim their centers to be) is attractive.

Too bad its a lie.

As far as behavior modification, well, there really isnt even a way to spin the IDEAL of it. BM is BM. Behavior modification... and bowel movements. And the second kind of BM is actually useful and serves a function.

Creationists make it sound like a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
--Isaac Asimov, Russian-born American author

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile