Author Topic: Warning about Hyde School from an educational consultant  (Read 53343 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Warning about Hyde School from an educational consultant
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2008, 03:43:51 AM »
What's it to you, Mr. Counselor?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2008, 05:56:17 AM »
JACKSONVILLE, Fla., July 9 /PRNewswire/ --

The following was released today by Ellis Rubin:

In February of 2000, 12-year-old Michael Wiltsie was wrongfully killed by a counselor at E-Kel-Etu boot camp, located in Marion County, Florida, near the city of Ocala. With other children and Eckerd staff watching, camp counselor Joseph Cooley violently forced Michael Wiltsie face down on the ground in a wooded area. Cooley, who weighed well in excess of 300 pounds proceeded to lay on top of Michael, who weighed only 65 pounds. For more than 15 minutes the child begged for help, but …

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-76392482.html

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2008, 08:29:50 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Quote from: "dbuteau"
i am currently a student at hyde and am leaving in 2 days after i take my finals...

<snip snip>

...now that i am leaving i am ready to expose this cult and could use all the help i can get...

<snip snip>

...Do a search on this forum for former Hyde parent "Gary Eskow"; his email should be posted somewhere. He has walked in those shoes before, and might be a good source of some advice and perspective. (As have several others, but they haven't posted their contact info!)

Point your parents in the direction of this forum. If you think they might be too overwhelmed by the angry sentiment and the tales of Hyde's hypocrisy and assault history, have them check out International Survivor's Action Committee, though the documents on file there are but the tip of the iceberg...

Gary Eskow's fornits contact info: click HERE

He has a doc on file at the IsacCorp site which might serve as a good ice breaker, in case you or your parents want to contact him.

Also, feel free to PM me (or others) in the event that you have a question you want to keep off the threads.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2008, 12:09:21 PM »
...just last week there was 60 kids out to work because of the threats to students that they will have no vacation and no finals...

is the school getting free labor out of this? sounds illegal

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2008, 12:49:01 PM »
Quote from: "GUEST"
...just last week there was 60 kids out to work because of the threats to students that they will have no vacation and no finals...

is the school getting free labor out of this? sounds illegal

Hyde certainly depends on a required amount of "giving back to the community," but the hard work and sweat of 60 kids' worth would suggest that they might be short on the maintenance crew this year.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2008, 12:57:53 PM »
Quote from: "dbuteau"
...for the last 3 months ive been living in hell and my parents are finally realizing it...the way the faculty treats you is rediculous...just last week there was 60 kids out to work because of the threats to students that they will have no vacation and no finals...this lead to the so called "brothers keeper" of this school...they held kids in rooms for hours until they dropped names...did i mention we arent part of the commmunity when we are being punished and we eat on the floor above the cafateria...now that i am leaving i am ready to expose this cult and could use all the help i can get...
Quote from: "Counselor Cares-Alot"
Ha ha! Bust time again? Bath or Woodstock? Hyde cant survive without cooking up drama like this!

It would appear that there is an unhealthy institutional need for catharsis endemic to The Program at Hyde Schools... Perhaps the Hyde Administration is addicted to the concomitant endorphin release that must surely accompany such purges. Limbic brain stimulation, anyone?

This is generally not a positive event. There is an excess of personal hell and psychic terror going around, with the intended outcome of cleaving those deemed worthy from those deemed deficient. A judgment that, I might add, appears to reside more with how much one buys into the program or how one's personality fits in with the alleged ideal, than it does with the quality of one's character.

The Big Busts (if this is what is going on now) were not so frequent -- once or twice every two years, if I recall? ...My memory fails me. More typical and endemic to "life at Hyde" were the smaller busts or personal witch hunts of individual students and sometimes even faculty.

I see that not much has changed. Certainly nothing on the gut level of it all.

The eventual result, IMO, sooner or later, sometimes much later, is cynicism, disillusion, and blowback. Hardly a foundation upon which to build "character," more like fodder for some potentially serious psychological problems further on down the line.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2008, 12:36:36 PM »
so sad to read how little small humans have to do. fornits is definitley not the place where quality resides.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2008, 01:25:59 PM »
Quote from: "journalist"
so sad to read how little small humans have to do. fornits is definitley not the place where quality resides.
Need I remind, you are both reading and posting here.  Consider staying and reading a while.  You might change your mind about some things.  Keep in mind, though that the forum is unmoderated so the range of quality runs the full gamut from batshit crazy to enlightened philosophy (the ratio of which few can agree on).
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 30, 2008, 12:46:54 PM »

IS that the best you can do?  I will tell you what's sad: a ad hominim attacks.  Lets see some of that good critical thinking you were taught at hyde.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 30, 2008, 01:38:25 PM »
Quote from: "last man in the relay"

IS that the best you can do?  I will tell you what's sad: a ad hominim attacks.  Lets see some of that good critical thinking you were taught at hyde.

I was thinking of some acerbic witty comment along the lines of hamsters in their wheels after that comment was made yesterday...but thought better of it when psy offered up an olive branch of sorts.

Do you really think "journalist" can actually come up with more than just a miserly hit-and-run?

Prove me wrong, hamster!!  ::evil::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2009, 08:40:09 PM »
I went to Hyde about a decade ago. It is hard for me to see the 2-4s and 5:30s as torture, as some people have suggested. Unless things have changed, it is possible to mostly avoid having to participate in these things if you refrain from drinking, smoking, drugs, cheating, lying, or knowing about people who do any of those things. (Let's face it-- Brother's Keeper is easy to avoid if you tell people that you don't want to know. Not a big deal.) As for the leadership stuff, sure, some of it is fake or feels fake. What I got out of that was to learn how to balance doing what people expected of me with living by my own standards. In my life, living within other people's expectations of me was only bad when I lost myself in trying to please others. Hyde can create a culture of extremes, where people totally fight the system or totally behave while losing their identity. I grew there by living in the space between. I wasn't the best senior or the best student, but I stayed out of trouble and did well without forfeiting my identity.

I don't think that Hyde is always good for people, and I do think that sometimes the people who get the most credit are fake, but I also think that having some of the conversations with people about my personal standards and having the courage to take a level of leadership that I felt comfortable with-- not that my class expected of me-- helped me become a strong and independent person. I also felt that the family program was good for my family life which was, at the time that I went, totally horrible. My family thought I was a monster.

Not to say that the same is true for everyone, but for me, the way I interpreted what was going on and my deliberate decision to make the most out of going there (which was initially not what I wanted) made the experience productive. Though the one-size-fits-all thing was an issue in my time, I also think that if I had dismissed everything at Hyde in a universal sort of way, I would have wasted the three years of my life that I spent there. I was/am not traumatized.

No one really got in my face much, except maybe in sports, and I responded to my scarier coaches by working harder. I never liked dorm workouts or group accountability. I still don't view those things as torture. There has always been a lot of drama at Hyde, which has perhaps made me willing to cope with much more drama than I would have otherwise, but for me, it is where I grew up.  I hope the school does well. I am sad that some of its methods are hurting the school's potential to lead. I think that the five words and principles are a good foundation for education if they are utilized to truly talk about potential instead of to make kids behave. The focus on all of the rebel kids functions as one big diversion from having young people create their big dreams.

I do think that the current trend in education toward pathologizing everything that kids do is a bad thing. It would have made me even crazier if my overprotective parents had been given some great label to explain why I fought against so many of their decisions and misbehaved so much. I wasn't crazy. Our family was crazy. I didn't feel better until my family life changed dramatically. I am grateful that I didn't get sent to a special school and that Hyde claimed to be "college prep" because I got to go to a good university and did well. If my parents had chosen to send me to a school for crazy kids, I would have been really screwed up by the whole experience and might have thought that they were right-- that it all was my fault. I am personally glad that I went to Hyde. It is interesting to see how other people fared. I found this web site because I was interested in seeing what was happening to the "bad teens" of today. I would have expected more positive opinions of Hyde in hindsight... Maybe it was different in the guys' dorm.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2009, 09:23:05 PM »
so..if this place totally screwed up some of your classsmates, that was ok with you?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2009, 11:38:32 PM »
No. That is not okay with me. But I am also hearing many people claim that 2-4 and 5:30s were the problem. Being on 2-4 and 5:30 is a choice, akin to putting your hand on the stove: if it hurts, move your hand. I think that some of the ways in which Hyde is "not good" for kids comes from the ways or intensity with which they dole out consequences. All I'm saying is that it is possible to choose to live within the Hyde framework without drawing negative attention/ negative consequences to yourself. I do not think that a person has to compromise his or her integrity to live within the Hyde framework in most cases. I do see that shy kids were at a greater disadvantage than outgoing kids and that sporty kids were at a greater advantage than non-athletic kids. I still don't see that as a reason to shut it down. Maybe I'm cynical, but I can't imagine a single school unblemished by scandal. Without minimizing other people's experiences, that was my perspective when I was there, and that is my perspective now. I do see that the school has problems and could use an influx of new ideas. I hope that it does and that it continues to survive. The kids that it helps deserve a place to go. The kids it hurts deserve a chance to leave.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2009, 02:18:21 PM »
Hey,

I share your ambivalence about Hyde.  The thing that is incomprehensible to me is some of the choices it has made in recent years.  Choices like letting pedophiles back on campus, giving diplomas to shills for cults ....  There are pieces that do seem to work for some people but by the same token sometimes they really do more damage then good for others.  They seem to stand back and take a sort of libertarian stand on that and caulk it up to individual choice, which I view as Hyde ducking its own accountability, a highly unethical stand for an institution that proports to be  leader in a sort of secular morality.  And that observation would lead me to comment on the Hyde's cult like nature that cause none of that to ever be questioned.   On the whole too many turds in the punch bowl for me to want to have a sip.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2009, 03:53:36 PM »
Hey, thanks for posting! Nice to find someone actually willing to engage in some debate.  ;)

Quote from: "Guest"
I went to Hyde about a decade ago. It is hard for me to see the 2-4s and 5:30s as torture, as some people have suggested. Unless things have changed, it is possible to mostly avoid having to participate in these things if you refrain from drinking, smoking, drugs, cheating, lying, or knowing about people who do any of those things. (Let's face it-- Brother's Keeper is easy to avoid if you tell people that you don't want to know. Not a big deal.)
...I am also hearing many people claim that 2-4 and 5:30s were the problem. Being on 2-4 and 5:30 is a choice, akin to putting your hand on the stove: if it hurts, move your hand. I think that some of the ways in which Hyde is "not good" for kids comes from the ways or intensity with which they dole out consequences. All I'm saying is that it is possible to choose to live within the Hyde framework without drawing negative attention/ negative consequences to yourself.
With all due respect, the whole issue of the work crew/2-4 and 5:30's is but one of the more obvious and physically tangible aspects of the abuse. I agree with you that it is usually possible to avoid them, but there have been cases where Hyde was wrong about the presumed culprit and refused to believe the word of a kid they wanted to teach a lesson or two.

Let's face it, unless you fall within the parameters of the desired personality type, how Hyde School adjudges a "bad attitude" is a highly subjective thing. And if they don't like you, it really doesn't matter what "the truth" of the matter is. A witch hunt can be commenced for any premise or fantasy they can think of. Consequently, you can actually be a "true believer" and still reap the burden of being a pariah in their midst.

I do see that shy kids were at a greater disadvantage than outgoing kids and that sporty kids were at a greater advantage than non-athletic kids.
I totally agree with you here. I would go further to say that Hyde School does attempt to rewrite certain (generally introspective) kids' personalities, which is a very dangerous thing to do, from a psychological perspective, not to mention that it is being practiced by complete hacks with a missionary agenda on their minds.

I do not think that a person has to compromise his or her integrity to live within the Hyde framework in most cases... Maybe I'm cynical, but I can't imagine a single school unblemished by scandal. Without minimizing other people's experiences, that was my perspective when I was there, and that is my perspective now.
Seriously, the amount of sexual predation that goes on at this place is substantially more than the average school's scandal or two. And these are just the cases that have come to light. Given Hyde School's penchant for squashing the truth and for bullying and humiliating victims of sexual assault, let alone brainwashing them into thinking they are at cause, I think it stands to reason that the 'known cases' to 'actual cases' ratio is considerably less than it might be under less coercive circumstances.

And when these cases do come to light, do you actually believe, even for a wishful school spirit moment, that any bona fide educational institution would still treat these cases as Hyde School continues to do, year after year, nigh on thirty-five years since the first known case? If Hyde School cannot succeed in traumatizing the student in question into silence, they will discredit him or her in the eyes of the entire Hyde community, sweep the facts under the rug and/or completely lie about them, pay off the lawsuits, and go back to business as usual. There is absolutely zero concern for what happens to the victim. (What do you think does happen to these victims?)

All this from an organization that portrays itself as the family-oriented expert on integrity and parenting. Lol... Quite frankly, I could have learned more about honesty and integrity from Crazy Eddie.