Author Topic: Warning about Hyde School from an educational consultant  (Read 52635 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Warning about Hyde School from an educational consultant
« on: October 15, 2005, 10:51:00 AM »
Recently our family decided to leave Hyde.  We have the same concerns as many people who are posting on this website:  We've become very concerned about Hyde's narrow-minded view of adolescent behavior, their unwillingness to pay close attention to our child's mental health issues, the very uneven quality of the teaching and academic program, and the amateur handling of incredibly intimate self-disclosures in seminars.  Our family had no idea that Hyde was such a controversial school and has such significant limitations.  What one of us recently witnessed in our FLC was the straw that broke the camel's back; we couldn't believe how traumatized some FLC participants were and how unskilled the Hyde facilitator was. (The alumni parent in the group was worse: he was emotionally abusive and arrogant -- it's incredible that Hyde allows this sort of behavior.  What poor role modeling for students!).

As part of our process we recently contacted a very well known, skilled educational consultant.  This educational consultant clearly knows a great deal about schools for struggling teens around the U.S.  She is also VERY familiar with Hyde.  This educational consultant told us, emphatically, that she will NEVER refer another family to Hyde.  She told us that she has heard so many reports in recent years about Hyde's shortsighted handling of students' and families' complex issues (mental health, substance abuse, etc.); students who have run away from the school; the arrogant attitudes expressed by some staff; the inferior teaching in some courses; the high number of inexperienced staff who are expected to deal with very challenging behavioral, emotional, and psychiatric issues; the unhappiness among many students; and the destructive experiences many FLC participants have when very personal details of their lives are exposed.  

This educational consultant is adamant that parents of struggling teens should look for schools that are much healthier than Hyde.  Our family is now learning about some very appealing alternatives to Hyde; I wish we had known about them earlier.  We've recently talked, very quietly, with other Hyde families that are leaving, or considering leaving, for similar reasons.  It's so hard at Hyde to be vocal about these concerns.  Few people seem to trust that Hyde staff would handle criticism in a good way.  We suspect that families that are unhappy with Hyde don't know that many others feel the same way (in spite of the enthusiasm in the auditorium when parents gather).

Also, as part of our search for a new school we recently spent a long time talking with another school's headmaster.  She asked us about our child's experience at Hyde.  We summarized the experience as objectively as possible.  The headmaster was very candid: Her school has enrolled a number of former Hyde students whose families pulled them out of Hyde for similar reasons.  She talked about how destructive Hyde seems to be for some students and how she is very, very concerned about what she described as Hyde's "doctrinaire" approach.

Anyway, the educational consultant's views confirm what our family has come to learn: While Hyde may benefit some, the risks associated with the school are simply too great.  If you're searching for a school, find a very knowledgeable educational consultant who is familiar with Hyde's problems, rocky reputation, scandals, and knows about schools with much more solid reputations.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 11:50:00 AM »
I think that what's happened at Hyde in the past 10 to 15 years is that one or two "troubled teens" have had some success and the word got out.  And the troubled floodgates opened! In the 70's, when my daughter went to Hyde, the number of troubled teens was definately the minority.  People like Tommy, who posts here so much, were so few in number that their antics had little impact on the program... every once in a while  they succeeded just by hanging around  the majority, who were "under-achievers" like my daughter (Who by-the-way is an incredible person who has succeeded personally and professionally to point of making us as proud as we always hoped we could be). We needed a place to kick our butts and get her to take responsibilty for her life.  And it worked.  But at today's Hyde School,,these "under achievers" are being accepted at schools like Hebron, Kents Hill, Pomfret and other 2nd and 3rd tier boarding schools...leaving those troubled teens who are struggling with mental issues, drug and alcohol addictions, etc...to be the majority at Hyde...bottom line:  Hyde can't work when these are the kids that make up most of the school.  They need places that have medical and psych staff on site and offer the kind of counseling and attention that's needed.  Maybe Hyde needs to combine the two boarding campuses, thus getting rid of the "Troubled Majority" and unloading the deadwood on the staff...then I think Hyde can rise to the glory level of the late 70's and early 80's.  For all of you posting on this site saying Hyde is not a good place for your troubled teen and troubled family....you may just be right.
So move on and pay the $60K-$80K a year at a therapy school.  Done.  Buh-Bye!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 12:48:00 PM »
On 2005-10-15 08:50:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I think that what's happened at Hyde in the past 10 to 15 years is that one or two "troubled teens" have had some success and the word got out.  And the troubled floodgates opened! In the 70's, when my daughter went to Hyde, the number of troubled teens was definately the minority.  People like Tommy, who posts here so much, were so few in number that their antics had little impact on the program... every once in a while  they succeeded just by hanging around  the majority, who were "under-achievers" like my daughter (Who by-the-way is an incredible person who has succeeded personally and professionally to point of making us as proud as we always hoped we could be). We needed a place to kick our butts and get her to take responsibilty for her life.  And it worked.  But at today's Hyde School,,these "under achievers" are being accepted at schools like Hebron, Kents Hill, Pomfret and other 2nd and 3rd tier boarding schools...leaving those troubled teens who are struggling with mental issues, drug and alcohol addictions, etc...to be the majority at Hyde...bottom line:  Hyde can't work when these are the kids that make up most of the school.  They need places that have medical and psych staff on site and offer the kind of counseling and attention that's needed.  Maybe Hyde needs to combine the two boarding campuses, thus getting rid of the "Troubled Majority" and unloading the deadwood on the staff...then I think Hyde can rise to the glory level of the late 70's and early 80's.  For all of you posting on this site saying Hyde is not a good place for your troubled teen and troubled family....you may just be right.

So move on and pay the $60K-$80K a year at a therapy school.  Done.  Buh-Bye!"

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  I too agree that the Hyde population has changed over the years.  Earlier in its history the school enrolled a large number of kids who were somewhat defiant and underachievers.  Now many of those kids go to other boarding schools that have programs designed for them.  As a result, a HUGE percentage of Hyde's current students struggle with significant mental health, substance abuse, an other such issues.  But, the Hyde model hasn't changed significantly; as far as I know, the school still doesn't have any mental health department or staff to help kids deal with these issues.  Hyde still tries to sell itself as a school where "character education" will cure all ills.  The problem is that this model, which may have worked for the types of kids who enrolled at Hyde years ago, is a very poor fit for many of Hyde's current kids.  This is exactly what educational consultants and parents need to understand -- my impression is that the word is spreading.  Today's Hyde imposes a square peg on a round hole, and for many it doesn't work.  

I have heard rumors that Hyde administrators are very concerned about enrollment trends and growing competition from other schools that serve similar students.  You'll notice that Hyde is coming up with new PR materials in an effort to deal with this problem.  Sadly, the superficial and slick PR materials mislead many parents who don't seem to realize that the school is not a good place for many struggling teens.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 12:57:00 PM »
My Educational Consultant also has said she no longer places her kids at Hyde.  In her case I believe it was because of the handling of some controversial situations going on at the school between a male staff member and female students.

Hyde teaches the students to "confront" no matter what the problem is.  It could be a teacher, another student, a boss, or even a perpetrator of some sort.  This certainly cannot work in the real world yet Hyde would like to see everyone adhere to their ways. Can you imagine going into Bill Gates office and saying, "Mr Gates, I need to confront you about your attitude towards the other employees."  As crazy as this sounds, this is EXACTLY what you would find at Hyde if you sat in on a seminar!

In regard to observations during Family Weekends and seminars, I think we all saw some pretty crazy stuff that was especially inappropriate for young siblings to hear.  Hyde encourages ALL of the family to be involved.  I remember one father admitting he had a gay lover, another Mother telling her son in front of the rest of the family that she had been having affairs for years and wasn't happy with the Dad.  This was ALL IN FRONT OF STRANGERS!!!  Sorry, but this place is too bizarre and certainly should not be considered a boarding school for character education.  This is a Troubled Teen Program guys!!  Don't let them fool you!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 08:59:00 PM »
Several people posting on this site have made reference to other schools that offer what Hyde claims (mainly, providing structure to underachieveing teens) but have not identified those schools.

I'd love to hear positive recommendations for other schools to consider.  We have a 16-year-old son who is failing in school, hanging around with a "stoner" crowd and using drugs, but who is fairly bright, generally interested in learning and who has so far avoided any serious legal or other problems.  He has gotten thrown out of Catholic school and is just getting by in a public school he hates.  We don't think he has either the social or academic skills to do well in a traditional prep school and were looking seriously at Hyde until we came across this site and other negative reviews of Hyde.  (Even before that, some of the Hyde materials looked suspiciously "cult-like" to us.)

Any suggestions?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 09:34:00 PM »
On 2005-10-18 17:59:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Several people posting on this site have made reference to other schools that offer what Hyde claims (mainly, providing structure to underachieveing teens) but have not identified those schools.

I'd love to hear positive recommendations for other schools to consider.  We have a 16-year-old son who is failing in school, hanging around with a "stoner" crowd and using drugs, but who is fairly bright, generally interested in learning and who has so far avoided any serious legal or other problems.  He has gotten thrown out of Catholic school and is just getting by in a public school he hates.  We don't think he has either the social or academic skills to do well in a traditional prep school and were looking seriously at Hyde until we came across this site and other negative reviews of Hyde.  (Even before that, some of the Hyde materials looked suspiciously "cult-like" to us.)

Any suggestions?"

A couple of different educational consultants have encouraged us to look at three schools that seem to have very good reputations (these educational consultants warned us to avoid Hyde completely because of the kinds of concerns expressed by various people on this website -- they are VERY critical of Hyde and its cult-like quality).  Our understanding is that these 3 schools are for kids who have struggled, have done some hard work, and are progressing in the right direction (with some bumps in the road) -- we've heard that a couple of these schools enroll students whose parents couldn't wait to get them out of Hyde:  

White Mountain School (New Hampshire): http://www.whitemountain.org/ (major emphasis on using the environment and ecology to work with students)

Carlbrook School (Virginia): http://www.carlbrook.org/ (a fairly large school with lots of professional staff)

Rock Point School (Vermont): http://www.rockpoint.org/ (very small and intimate -- major emphasis on nurturing relationships between staff and students accompanied by high standards)

Good luck with your search.  There ARE some very good schools out there, especially compared to Hyde.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 08:07:00 AM »
On 2005-10-18 18:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"Several people posting on this site have made reference to other schools that offer what Hyde claims (mainly, providing structure to underachieveing teens) but have not identified those schools.

Any suggestions?"

A couple of different educational consultants have encouraged us to look at three schools that seem to have very good reputations (these educational consultants warned us to avoid Hyde completely because of the kinds of concerns expressed by various people on this website -- they are VERY critical of Hyde and its cult-like quality).  Our understanding is that these 3 schools are for kids who have struggled, have done some hard work, and are progressing in the right direction (with some bumps in the road) -- we've heard that a couple of these schools enroll students whose parents couldn't wait to get them out of Hyde:  

White Mountain School (New Hampshire): http://www.whitemountain.org/ (major emphasis on using the environment and ecology to work with students)

Carlbrook School (Virginia): http://www.carlbrook.org/ (a fairly large school with lots of professional staff)

Rock Point School (Vermont): http://www.rockpoint.org/ (very small and intimate -- major emphasis on nurturing relationships between staff and students accompanied by high standards)

Good luck with your search.  There ARE some very good schools out there, especially compared to Hyde."
I would be extremely cautious of Carlbrook.  It is run by Tim Brace, a former director at CEDU, a confirmedly abusive program that was literally sued and prosecuted out of existence.

Any institution run by folks indoctrinated into the CEDU philosophy should be carefully avoided.

Good luck with your son.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 03:02:00 PM »
On 2005-10-19 05:07:00, Dysfunction Junction wrote:

"

On 2005-10-18 18:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

Any suggestions?"

Good luck with your search.  There ARE some very good schools out there, especially compared to Hyde."

I would be extremely cautious of Carlbrook.  It is run by Tim Brace, a former director at CEDU, a confirmedly abusive program that was literally sued and prosecuted out of existence.

Any institution run by folks indoctrinated into the CEDU philosophy should be carefully avoided.

Good luck with your son.
"

I am not very familiar with Carlbrook, although I have heard good things about the other two schools (White Mountain and Rock Point).  An educational consultant I recently spoke with said wonderful things about Rock Point School and said, emphatically, to STAY AWAY from Hyde School.  This consultant also has many of the same complaints about Hyde: too many staff are arrogant and doctrinaire, students' mental health problems aren't addressed or are ignored, many staff don't have enough training or experience to deal skillfully with the kinds of kids Hyde gets (many kids with mental health issues), and parents are required to talk to strangers about their personal problems.

Good luck.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 11:48:00 PM »
I graduated from Hyde in 1990 and I still carry an intense anger towards my parents for making me spend three of the most miserable years of my life there.  I'm a successful attorney and it's no thanks to that cult.  Emotionally humiliating, intellectually stifling...I refuse to have anything to do with the place and I routinely tear up any fund raising mailers.

Going to college was like being let out of prison.  I never enjoyed school until I left that hell hole.  The comments on this board regarding the school's treatment of mental health problems as character issues bring back a lot of rancid memories (I suffered from severe depression and they told me I was lazy, the ignorant bastards).

I'm busy getting ready for a major trial, but I'll return to this board later and share some more details. The advice to prospective parents urging caution is well taken.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 12:14:00 AM »
On 2005-10-22 20:48:00, Lars wrote:

"I graduated from Hyde in 1990 and I still carry an intense anger at my parents for making spend three of the most miserable years of my life there.  I'm a successful attorney and it's no thanks to that cult.  Emotionally humiliating, intellectually stifling...I refuse to have anything to do with the place and I routinely tear up any fund raising mailers.

Going to college was like being let out of prison.  I never enjoyed school until I left that hell hole.  The comments on this board regarding the school's treatment of mental health problems as character issues bring back a lot of rancid memories (I suffered from severe depression and they told me I was lazy, the ignorant bastards).

I'm busy getting ready for a major trial, but I'll return to this board later and share some more details. The advice to prospective parents urging caution is well taken. "

Lars,
I am sorry you suffered like you did at Hyde!  Please don't take your anger out on your parents. I am a parent and believe me I was sucked into it by both an ed specialist as well as the lies the school told me!  I feel foolish now to have been so stupid and pray that my son does not hate me for my mistakes!  Sometimes parents do what they THINK is in the best interest of the child and it doesn't turn out as we thought it would!  Hyde's PR literature is very convincing especially when you are desperate to help your child.  Look at how they just fooled the public school system in California and are now working on fooling NY with their "Charter Schools."

I look forward to seeing you back here in the near future to share your stories!  Let's get the word out!!  Most families have been too embarassed to come forward, but I think we have something going here now!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 06:20:00 PM »
On 2005-10-22 20:48:00, Lars wrote:

"I graduated from Hyde in 1990 and I still carry an intense anger at my parents for making spend three of the most miserable years of my life there.  I'm a successful attorney and it's no thanks to that cult.  Emotionally humiliating, intellectually stifling...I refuse to have anything to do with the place and I routinely tear up any fund raising mailers.

I'm busy getting ready for a major trial, but I'll return to this board later and share some more details. The advice to prospective parents urging caution is well taken. "

I am very sorry to hear about your very unfortunate experience with Hyde.  Your experience parallels my own.  Now that I have some distance from the school, I am astonished that Hyde hasn't been exposed for its remarkably shortsighted, destructive practices, particularly with students who have serious mental health issues.  It's just so sad that Hyde has drawn so many desperate parents into their grip.  While some students manage to leave Hyde without serious scars (and some may even benefit), there are scores of students and parents who now talk retrospectively about how Hyde felt like a cult (Gauld influenced) and brainwashed both parents and students into thinking that everything can be interpreted as a character issue.  People who buy into Hyde talk like they're reading from a script.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2005, 07:39:00 PM »
When you say that "some even benefit from Hyde" I think this needs to be clarified.  

Hyde did not come up with some extraordinary method to "turn kids around."  There are many kids who go to Hyde who are out of control and have no discipline in their lives.  Hyde has boundaries and consequences to poor behavior.  This is something the parent obviously has a problem doing.  

You could put this child in ANY program or even juvenile hall for that matter where there are consequences and boundaries and this child will have "some benefit." The parents of these kids who have turned their lives around might praise Hyde, but truly Hyde is more harmful than good!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2005, 08:23:00 PM »
On 2005-10-23 16:39:00, Anonymous wrote:

"When you say that "some even benefit from Hyde" I think this needs to be clarified.  

Hyde did not come up with some extraordinary method to "turn kids around."  There are many kids who go to Hyde who are out of control and have no discipline in their lives.  Hyde has boundaries and consequences to poor behavior.  This is something the parent obviously has a problem doing.  

You could put this child in ANY program or even juvenile hall for that matter where there are consequences and boundaries and this child will have "some benefit." The parents of these kids who have turned their lives around might praise Hyde, but truly Hyde is more harmful than good!"

I think you're right about what I said concerning some kids benefit from Hyde.  Yes, some kids at Hyde need consequences and structure.  I think you're right that lots of programs can provide that.  One doesn't need Hyde for that.  And I fully agree that Hyde's very destructive characteristics outweigh any good that might come from Hyde's terrible environment.  Thanks for clarifying this point.  As you say, parents simply SHOULD NOT send their kids to Hyde School.  Keep looking for one of the many good alternatives.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 11:20:00 AM »
Proper therapy and medication, not their "seminars," turned my life around.  And I came out of my shell in college, where I realized how crappy Hyde's academics were.  Hyde actually ruined my chances to get into some colleges because of their grading system.  You would get two grades, achievement and effort, and the two were averaged together.  I'd get high achievement grades, but low effort grades because they said I wasn't a "leader" in class.  I think they set the system up this way to help some kids who didn't have the intellect, but it really hurt a student like me who didn't fit their mold.  Fortunately, I obtained a very high score on the SAT (and the dumb schmucks on the Hyde faculty couldn't figure out how).  Even so, my high test score combined with my mediocre grades convinced some colleges that I was an underachiever.

In college, I could learn my own way, just sitting back, enjoying the lectures & getting A after A.  Ironically, after a few years I began to participate quite a bit in classroom discussions.

In the real world, colleges, grad schools & employers don't give a f&^% about your effort unless it leads to high achievement.  I wasn't suprised to see that many of my classmates who played the academic game well at Hyde struggled in college and the alumni class notes section of the Hyde newsletter was filled with entries describing how so and so was trying to find him or herself (and glossing over the fact that they had dropped out of college).

I noticed too, that they tried to steer kids to small liberal arts colleges in the northeast.  Screw that, I went west to a big school (Arizona State) and gave them the proverbial middle finger by partying my ass off AND doing well enough to get into law school.

I like this site.  It's cathartic to be able to get some of this of my chest.

[ This Message was edited by: Lars on 2005-10-25 08:22 ]

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2005, 02:20:00 PM »
If you had any brains you were attacked for it.

Redemption: Deliverance of sinners from the penalty of their sins through the murder of their deity against whom they sinned.
--Ambrose Bierce