Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > Hyde Schools

QUALITY OF HYDES STAFF

<< < (2/11) > >>

Lars:
Some of the teachers I had there were decent instructors in the classroom. Some, to put it kindly, were not.  As I detailed on another topic, the grading system was unconscionable and hurt students like myself.

But what is really mind-blowing is that these teachers are put in charge of these incredibly intrusive and humiliating "family learning seminars" without having any formal training whatsoever!  It's a recipie for disaster - they're not satisfied unless you and your parents are reduced to tears, having exposed something shameful and disturbing about your private life.  It's theraputic and educational malpractice at the very least.

Anonymous:

--- Quote ---On 2005-11-06 11:59:00, Lars wrote:

"Some of the teachers I had there were decent instructors in the classroom. Some, to put it kindly, were not.  As I detailed on another topic, the grading system was unconscionable and hurt students like myself.

But what is really mind-blowing is that these teachers are put in charge of these incredibly intrusive and humiliating "family learning seminars" without having any formal training whatsoever!  It's a recipie for disaster - they're not satisfied unless you and your parents are reduced to tears, having exposed something shameful and disturbing about your private life.  It's theraputic and educational malpractice at the very least."

--- End quote ---

I couldn't agree with you more.  I'm willing to believe that some Hyde teachers are okay in the classroom (although some are not).  But, we were astonished to see some of these folks leading FLC's.  They were so unskilled and unable to deal with the raw human emotion, intense exchanges, and incredibly intimate disclosures.  Our family witnessed a number of appalling incidents where FLC participants were traumatized by family members' accusations and tirades; the teachers in charge of the seminar hadn't a clue about how to handle these situations. Some of the alumni volunteers were worse.

That's the kind of thing that has led many educational consultants to stay away from Hyde.  They realize how dangerous this is. It's amazing to me that Hyde's unconscionable use of teachers to run what amounts to group therapy type sessions hasn't been exposed until now.  Fortunately, more and more people are finding out about this.

Anonymous:
Speaking of Hyde's staff . . . I'll never forget one of the FLC's I attended.  One of the faculty leaders talked about how he had been a terrible high school student and barely made it through college.  Here he was, teaching at Hyde and talking about his very poor academic background and performance.  To top it off, many of his sentences contained grammatical errors.  This is yet another example, among many, of Hyde's flaws.  This teacher may have been well meaning, but there was no way in the world he should have been standing in front of a room teaching high school students.  Hyde's academic standards are embarrassing.

Anonymous:
You all are talking about teachers who couldn't teach.  What about staff who had NO teaching credentials?  When I was there, there were several staff members who were either husbands or wives of teachers, or somehow related to one of the Gaulds.  Hyde actually put these people in charge of students with absolutely NO training other than at Hyde.  Remember Larry Dubinsky who was fired for sexual harassment?  He was in charge of Dean's area where he would ask students to tell him specifics about their sexual experiences!!  He had NO teaching degree! Very sad to pay all that money for an education and yet not get much bang for the buck!

Anonymous:

--- Quote ---On 2005-11-06 13:50:00, Anonymous wrote:

"You all are talking about teachers who couldn't teach.  What about staff who had NO teaching credentials?  When I was there, there were several staff members who were either husbands or wives of teachers, or somehow related to one of the Gaulds.  Hyde actually put these people in charge of students with absolutely NO training other than at Hyde.  Remember Larry Dubinsky who was fired for sexual harassment?  He was in charge of Dean's area where he would ask students to tell him specifics about their sexual experiences!!  He had NO teaching degree! Very sad to pay all that money for an education and yet not get much bang for the buck!"

--- End quote ---

You're right about the quality of a number of Hyde's staff.  I met quite a few who had weak academic backgounds and/or were relatives of the Gauld family or other faculty/staff members.  It's well known that there's a rather incestuous quality to the Hyde staff.  One result of this sort of inbreeding is that one ends up with a group of faculty and staff who reinforce each other's points, bow to Joe Gauld, and circle the wagons when there is serious criticism from the outside.  Those are typical cult qualities.  

I recently read that article by Traub, who hit the nail on the head: Academics take a back seat at Hyde and the school indeed has a cult-like quality.  For those who missed it, here's the article: http://www.educationnext.org/20051/22.html

Any parent who has even a moment's thought of sending their kid to Hyde should read Traub's article and comb through this and other websites where people are finally speaking out about Hyde.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version