Author Topic: QUALITY OF HYDES STAFF  (Read 11739 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
QUALITY OF HYDES STAFF
« on: October 15, 2005, 08:55:00 AM »
09/29/2005 14:47:54      Subject: Re:Woodstock Sports      

mmurrell
 This is posted directly from the Hyde Message Board on Hyde's website.  Here is a long time staff member who doesn't know the difference between, "there" and "their."  Pretty elementary, right?  Point is, this is typical of the quality of Hyde's teachers!

As many posters have been saying,the Hyde education is not up to standards of most schools.

On the site, each team now has there on page. Check it out: http://www.hyde.edu/page.ww?name=Welcome§ion=Woodstock

Should be an interesting match up between Bath and Woodstock Varsity Football this year. Both teams are pretty strong.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
QUALITY OF HYDES STAFF
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 09:55:00 AM »
Some of the Hyde staff have solid academic credentials.  But, during the time our family has been affiliated with the school (we're in our third year) I've been amazed by some of the faculty members' self-disclosure about how poor their own academic records and performance were.  I understand the reasons for the self-disclosure: Consistent with the Hyde model the teachers are acknowledging their own past (and sometimes current) struggles.  What's sad is that the students end up being taught by some faculty whose academic skills are quite deficient.  In seminars I've been startled by examples of poor grammar that come from staff members' mouths.  I've read written communications from the school that are just plain embarrassing.  This is another example of the significant tradeoffs parents must be willing to accept if they enroll their kids at Hyde.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
QUALITY OF HYDES STAFF
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 10:31:00 AM »
On 2005-10-15 06:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Some of the Hyde staff have solid academic credentials.  But, during the time our family has been affiliated with the school (we're in our third year) I've been amazed by some of the faculty members' self-disclosure about how poor their own academic records and performance were.  I understand the reasons for the self-disclosure: Consistent with the Hyde model the teachers are acknowledging their own past (and sometimes current) struggles.  What's sad is that the students end up being taught by some faculty whose academic skills are quite deficient.  In seminars I've been startled by examples of poor grammar that come from staff members' mouths.  I've read written communications from the school that are just plain embarrassing.  This is another example of the significant tradeoffs parents must be willing to accept if they enroll their kids at Hyde.  "
"Trade-offs"?  What the hell are you talking about?  To any NORMAL person, what you've stated would be the reason they PULLED their kid from Hyde.

"Boarding School" my ass.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
QUALITY OF HYDES STAFF
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 11:03:00 AM »
On 2005-10-15 07:31:00, Dysfunction Junction wrote:

"

On 2005-10-15 06:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Some of the Hyde staff have solid academic credentials.  But, during the time our family has been affiliated with the school (we're in our third year) I've been amazed by some of the faculty members' self-disclosure about how poor their own academic records and performance were.  I understand the reasons for the self-disclosure: Consistent with the Hyde model the teachers are acknowledging their own past (and sometimes current) struggles.  What's sad is that the students end up being taught by some faculty whose academic skills are quite deficient.  In seminars I've been startled by examples of poor grammar that come from staff members' mouths.  I've read written communications from the school that are just plain embarrassing.  This is another example of the significant tradeoffs parents must be willing to accept if they enroll their kids at Hyde.  "

"Trade-offs"?  What the hell are you talking about?  To any NORMAL person, what you've stated would be the reason they PULLED their kid from Hyde.

"Boarding School" my ass.
"

Sorry -- my wording was unclear.  I agree with you.  What I meant to convey was that any parent who decides to enroll their kid at Hyde should know that the kid will be exposed to this kind of incompetence. As you suggest, no one should be willing to accept this sort of situation.

Offline Sancho

• View Profile
    • http://www.photolobo.com
QUALITY OF HYDES STAFF
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 02:32:00 PM »
Their are many measures to a persons credentials, one of which may or may not be spelling.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
QUALITY OF HYDES STAFF
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 02:59:00 PM »
Some of the teachers I had there were decent instructors in the classroom. Some, to put it kindly, were not.  As I detailed on another topic, the grading system was unconscionable and hurt students like myself.

But what is really mind-blowing is that these teachers are put in charge of these incredibly intrusive and humiliating "family learning seminars" without having any formal training whatsoever!  It's a recipie for disaster - they're not satisfied unless you and your parents are reduced to tears, having exposed something shameful and disturbing about your private life.  It's theraputic and educational malpractice at the very least.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
QUALITY OF HYDES STAFF
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 03:19:00 PM »
On 2005-11-06 11:59:00, Lars wrote:

"Some of the teachers I had there were decent instructors in the classroom. Some, to put it kindly, were not.  As I detailed on another topic, the grading system was unconscionable and hurt students like myself.

But what is really mind-blowing is that these teachers are put in charge of these incredibly intrusive and humiliating "family learning seminars" without having any formal training whatsoever!  It's a recipie for disaster - they're not satisfied unless you and your parents are reduced to tears, having exposed something shameful and disturbing about your private life.  It's theraputic and educational malpractice at the very least."

I couldn't agree with you more.  I'm willing to believe that some Hyde teachers are okay in the classroom (although some are not).  But, we were astonished to see some of these folks leading FLC's.  They were so unskilled and unable to deal with the raw human emotion, intense exchanges, and incredibly intimate disclosures.  Our family witnessed a number of appalling incidents where FLC participants were traumatized by family members' accusations and tirades; the teachers in charge of the seminar hadn't a clue about how to handle these situations. Some of the alumni volunteers were worse.

That's the kind of thing that has led many educational consultants to stay away from Hyde.  They realize how dangerous this is. It's amazing to me that Hyde's unconscionable use of teachers to run what amounts to group therapy type sessions hasn't been exposed until now.  Fortunately, more and more people are finding out about this.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
QUALITY OF HYDES STAFF
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 03:40:00 PM »
Speaking of Hyde's staff . . . I'll never forget one of the FLC's I attended.  One of the faculty leaders talked about how he had been a terrible high school student and barely made it through college.  Here he was, teaching at Hyde and talking about his very poor academic background and performance.  To top it off, many of his sentences contained grammatical errors.  This is yet another example, among many, of Hyde's flaws.  This teacher may have been well meaning, but there was no way in the world he should have been standing in front of a room teaching high school students.  Hyde's academic standards are embarrassing.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
QUALITY OF HYDES STAFF
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 04:50:00 PM »
You all are talking about teachers who couldn't teach.  What about staff who had NO teaching credentials?  When I was there, there were several staff members who were either husbands or wives of teachers, or somehow related to one of the Gaulds.  Hyde actually put these people in charge of students with absolutely NO training other than at Hyde.  Remember Larry Dubinsky who was fired for sexual harassment?  He was in charge of Dean's area where he would ask students to tell him specifics about their sexual experiences!!  He had NO teaching degree! Very sad to pay all that money for an education and yet not get much bang for the buck!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
QUALITY OF HYDES STAFF
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 05:30:00 PM »
On 2005-11-06 13:50:00, Anonymous wrote:

"You all are talking about teachers who couldn't teach.  What about staff who had NO teaching credentials?  When I was there, there were several staff members who were either husbands or wives of teachers, or somehow related to one of the Gaulds.  Hyde actually put these people in charge of students with absolutely NO training other than at Hyde.  Remember Larry Dubinsky who was fired for sexual harassment?  He was in charge of Dean's area where he would ask students to tell him specifics about their sexual experiences!!  He had NO teaching degree! Very sad to pay all that money for an education and yet not get much bang for the buck!"

You're right about the quality of a number of Hyde's staff.  I met quite a few who had weak academic backgounds and/or were relatives of the Gauld family or other faculty/staff members.  It's well known that there's a rather incestuous quality to the Hyde staff.  One result of this sort of inbreeding is that one ends up with a group of faculty and staff who reinforce each other's points, bow to Joe Gauld, and circle the wagons when there is serious criticism from the outside.  Those are typical cult qualities.  

I recently read that article by Traub, who hit the nail on the head: Academics take a back seat at Hyde and the school indeed has a cult-like quality.  For those who missed it, here's the article: http://www.educationnext.org/20051/22.html

Any parent who has even a moment's thought of sending their kid to Hyde should read Traub's article and comb through this and other websites where people are finally speaking out about Hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
QUALITY OF HYDES STAFF
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 03:15:00 PM »
With any private school, faculty are not required to get education degrees.  With many schools, they base academic credibility on their performances in college, pairing Biology majors with science classes, etc.  Regardless of whether or not a teacher has had training in education, it takes a long time for a teacher to develop the craft of teaching.  If you want to improve the quality of teaching at any institution, find a way to keep teachers there.  

At Hyde, it's no different.  Maybe more pressure should be put on the school to train their new teachers or to hire more experienced faculty members.  However, teachers everywhere are becoming more discgruntled these days due to low pay, bigger classes, less respectful students and most importantly, parents who constantly intervene on behalf of their kids and prevent teachers from failing anyone.  I am so glad I don't teach and have total respect for anyone who would these days.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
QUALITY OF HYDES STAFF
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 03:34:00 PM »
Hyde staff members consist of high quality, upstanding, intelligent individuals, I can assure you that ...

Offline Lars

• View Profile
QUALITY OF HYDES STAFF
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 04:54:00 PM »
On 2005-12-09 12:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hyde staff members consist of high quality, upstanding, intelligent individuals, I can assure you that ..."

And which campus do you teach at?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
QUALITY OF HYDES STAFF
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 04:57:00 PM »
On 2005-12-09 13:54:00, Lars wrote:

"

On 2005-12-09 12:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hyde staff members consist of high quality, upstanding, intelligent individuals, I can assure you that ..."

And which campus do you teach at?"
Not a teacher, but a student! Hyde rocks!!

Offline Lars

• View Profile
QUALITY OF HYDES STAFF
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 05:05:00 PM »
Hyde rocks!!"

Glad you like it, but I respectfully disagree.  Unless they've seriously upgraded the academics since I was there, it's a third rate education.