Author Topic: psychiatric origins of "running your anger/shit"?  (Read 3914 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
psychiatric origins of "running your anger/shit"?
« on: October 13, 2005, 05:20:00 AM »
I was always curious about something, was the whole "running your anger" bullshit essentially the same as all that "primal scream" therapy that was so popular for a while? On the surface, they seem awfully similar, and seem to stem out of the similar "hippie therapy" movement of the 60s.

Any psychologists/therapists or therapy mavens have any information as to whether or not there is a connection?

I'm not too familiar with the details of primal scream, but someone I know mentioned that they also utilize ridiculous stuff such as bioenergetics like pounding pillows.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 09:54:00 AM »
Good question, I hope that someone can find/post a little info about this also.

It reminds me of middle age medicine where you would be bled, the idea being you could "purge" your ailment. Is it the same kinda thing? I think I would prefer leeches.
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 10:05:00 AM »
There is actually something called primal screaming, which cedu seems to have borrowed, at least partially. Again, cedu is a mishmash of psychological therapy methodologies, utilized in a harmful manner in unsupervised conditions.

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 10:55:00 AM »
Anon wrote:
Again, cedu is a mishmash of psychological therapy methodologies, utilized in a harmful manner in unsupervised conditions.

WELL PUT!
hanlea

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 11:31:00 AM »
This comes from the classic Synanon model.  They used what were called "encounter groups" that were run like raps.  Same shit, different name.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 01:57:00 PM »
On 2005-10-13 06:54:00, blownawaytheidahoway wrote:

"Good question, I hope that someone can find/post a little info about this also.

It reminds me of middle age medicine where you would be bled, the idea being you could "purge" your ailment. Is it the same kinda thing? I think I would prefer leeches."

yankees suck

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 08:16:00 PM »
On 2005-10-13 07:05:00, Anonymous wrote:

"There is actually something called primal screaming, which cedu seems to have borrowed, at least partially. Again, cedu is a mishmash of psychological therapy methodologies, utilized in a harmful manner in unsupervised conditions."

Right, exactly. (re: primal scream) That's what I mentioned in my original post. I was wondering if there was actually a connection between these two "therapies."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 08:20:00 PM »
sorry- that's what happens when you read in a hurry! Yes, there is definitely a connection between the two. I hadn't ever heard of primal scream until after cedu when I was in therapy trying to recover from my cedu experience, not to mention the issues that got me there in the first place that weren't resolved at cedu. I was talking about the methods used at cedu and the therapist explained about primal scream.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 08:48:00 PM »
On 2005-10-13 08:31:00, Dysfunction Junction wrote:

"This comes from the classic Synanon model.  They used what were called "encounter groups" that were run like raps.  Same shit, different name.
"

Didn't they call that "the game"?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 11:30:00 PM »
***I was talking about the methods used at cedu and the therapist explained about primal scream.

Would someone describe what you were asked to do in the program that you think may have been 'primal scream'?
My understanding is that it can be useful for consenting adults- if not coerced or contrived. I don't think it should ever be used on young people or anyone that doesn't thouroughly understand the intent of the process, and be desiring of it.
Ignorant parents have no clue what they're subjecting their kids to, do they? Very disturbing. Guinea pigs for mad men.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 12:52:00 AM »
Yeah, what the hell is a primal scream? Is that when they have you run your shit at the ground? Or that part in, I dunno, the dreams? childrens? When we had to sit there and cry or something to that Genesis song.

You know the one I'm talking about.

"I don't care anymore. You can slam my dick in a cadillac door I don't care anymore."

I'll never get that song out of my head.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 01:11:00 AM »
You ran your shit in raps or propheets. Yelling and sobbing in the floor, all the better if you had great green gobs of snot coming out simultaneously. You could also run your thinking. Where you talked back to yourself or whatever. I could never do it.  I honestly think one of the main reasons I left was when I realized I couldn't fake that shit--and that was crucial to survive  CEDU--buy in or fake it. Because in every other way, I basically followed the agreements like a good little girl.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 02:33:00 AM »
I didn't buy in or fake it. I told them all to go fuck themselves. And sure, I went camping quite a few times, wore plenty of jumpsuits, and spent a fucking loooong time as a voyager. In fact, I entered my I & Me (4 peer groups behind) in challenge. But I'm still glad I didn't fake it or buy in. Even those that faked it, well I don't think they could completely fake it. I think they had to buy in a bit, and therefore died inside a bit. Tought situation. I just loved the work assignments and restrictions, so it didn't matter to me. I got off more telling staff to kiss my white ass than going on a river rafting trip and drinking caffeine.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 02:44:00 AM »
On 2005-10-13 21:52:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Yeah, what the hell is a primal scream? Is that when they have you run your shit at the ground? Or that part in, I dunno, the dreams? childrens? When we had to sit there and cry or something to that Genesis song.

You know the one I'm talking about.

"I don't care anymore. You can slam my dick in a cadillac door I don't care anymore."

I'll never get that song out of my head."

Holy shit, they played Genesis in the Childrens??? That's fucking hysterical.

That school must have really changed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 02:57:00 AM »
haha, no i'm pretty sure it was the dreams. still hilarious though.