Author Topic: Forum name changes  (Read 10383 times)

Offline fuckbuddy

• View Profile
Forum name changes
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2005, 08:33:00 AM »
Veteran.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
Forum name changes
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2005, 07:04:00 PM »
I no longer log into the old myspace thing that I named Damn Straight, so it is okay with me if people use it.  The only thing about the Survivor bit is that we did'nt survive anything.  We were forced along the whole way and forced to live act and do abnormal things for abnormal reasons.  The reasons were abnormal for if the Truth were to be known, I am sure many parents (Remember Fred Massey) would have burned the building to the ground.

Calling myself a Survivor is like putting on a football helmet and running my head into a brick wall while running full speed and feeling good about myself for "surviving" the impact.  No matter how you slice it, you still come up retarted.  I like veteran, because it simply means we were there and experienced it.  The simple fact that we are alive shows that we survived.  We don't need no Helen Reddy anthems neither!!!!
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Forum name changes
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2005, 07:14:00 PM »
Truth or Consequences

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
Forum name changes
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2005, 07:19:00 PM »
"We were for damn sure down in the trenches".  

Copy that MuthaFuckka.

:skull:  :skull:  :skull:
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

• View Profile
Forum name changes
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2005, 10:06:00 AM »
i also like the term "survivor" because i have 5 friends who didn't survive.  This makes the term "survivor" so much more meaningful and piognant to me.  As a survivor myself i feel like i am carryin' a part of Steve Mathews, Jim Brown, Tracy Andersen, Matt Hunter and Glenn Steepleton  with me through my own life.  Survivor is righteous. Rest in peace my brothers.  i got your back.

::dove::  ::dove::  ::dove::  ::dove::  ::dove::
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Forum name changes
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2005, 10:15:00 AM »
Pirate, you have made the best 'case' for the "survivor" camp so far. I knew Steve, too..and kinda knew some of the others...

But the thing is, it would be one thing if these people didn't kill themselves. Ultimately, it was they that made that choice to end their lives. I don't think of myself as a "survivor." The word veteran is much closer to the reality of what straight is. We were drafted into the war on drugs in a sense, were we not? I'm gonna get high now. Peace, bro...take care.

• View Profile
Forum name changes
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2005, 10:38:00 AM »
Jim was killed by a semi-truck on the side of i-95 down in FLA while changin' his tire.  Tracy drowned in a flood.  Steve, Matt and Glenn all killed themselves.  Thing is i know how hard it is to live after Str8.  i nearly killed myself too.  There were months on end when i thought of suicide every day and the only reason i didn' kill myself was cause i couldn' leave my little girl without a daddy.  i never even talked to anyone about it.  i'm better now but i damn sure know the sufferin' endured.  The way i see it even if Str8 cannot be held directly responsible for their deaths they damn sure made life nearly intolerable.  i don' like "Vets".  It's too generic.  It carries no meanin' for me.  No matter how this turns out i will represent as a fuckkin' mutherfuckin' God damned survivor!!

i know it's jus' a name but we have to represent.  Dig ??

• View Profile

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Forum name changes
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2005, 11:53:00 PM »
So have you guys decided what our song is yet?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Forum name changes
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2005, 11:54:00 PM »
There is nothing any more "generic" about the word "veteran" than there is with the word "survivor."

Perhaps your tendency to cleave to "survivor" stems from the familiarity of it. I mean the fact that THIS forum was called that for so long, etc.

I think it's time for a change, and veteran is it.

• View Profile
Forum name changes
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2005, 08:42:00 AM »
i see your point.  However i jus' feel real strongly about the term "survivor" as it points directly to those who did not survive.  And i feel that hard.  Like i feel that so fuckin' hard.

Well...i really think "veterans" is pretty lame, but i, of course, will accept whatever the people decide. Peace.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Forum name changes
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2005, 08:45:00 AM »
kinda agree with you on this----there were MANY who did not survive, and that is kinda implied in the term "survivors" being used to describe us and our relationship to Straight.

• View Profile
Forum name changes
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2005, 09:06:00 AM »
somehow we have to represent our dead brothers and sisters.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Forum name changes
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2005, 01:24:00 PM »
Military veterans lost friends as well. Veterans isn't lame, it says we were there.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Forum name changes
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2005, 03:01:00 PM »
It really is a war.

Because What We Need Is More Killing

In April of this year, the Pinellas County, Florida SWAT team tossed three flash-bang grenades into a home suspected of nonviolent drug offenses. The devices woke up and startled one resident of the home, 3 year-old Kamau Walker. Shortly thereafter, cops put three bullets into the back of Kamau's father, Jarell Walker, as he lay prostrate on the ground, killing him. Cops contend Walker was reaching under the couch for a gun, though the only gun found was hidden in the cushions of a couch on the other side of the room. Eleven months earlier, St. Petersburgh police (also in Pinellas County) put 14 bullets into the truck of 17 year-old Marquell McCullough, killing him. Cops later conceded they had pursued the wrong man.

After community activists expressed outrage at the shootings, and the FBI launched an investigation into the Walker shooting, Pinellas County Sheriff Jim Coats agreed last May to revisit his department's policy of when cops are premitted to use lethal force.

Coats announced his new, revised policy this week. And the new policy actually broadens the range of scenarios in which cops can use lethal force:

There was some talk about putting wording into the policy saying a deputy should resort to deadly force only as a last resort, but a review of other agencies' policies showed that was not common practice, so it wasn't adopted, sheriff's spokeswoman Marianne Pasha said.

The new policy twice cites a U.S. Supreme Court decision to underscore that the "reasonableness" of an officer's actions should allow "for the fact that police officers are often forced to make split-second decisions."

It also adds a new situation in which deadly force can be used -- an escape.

And it takes away a class of suspect on whom deputies were previously told to avoid using deadly force -- such as people who had committed misdemeanors or nonviolent felonies.

Unbelievable. Or entirely believable, if you follow this stuff at all.

http://www.theagitator.com/archives/025727.php#025727

One does not have to appeal to God to set the initial conditions for the creation of the universe, but if one does He would have to act through the laws of physics.
--Stephen Hawking, English scientist

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes