Author Topic: Advice to Parents Considering Hyde School  (Read 18913 times)

Offline HydeFan

• View Profile
Advice to Parents Considering Hyde School
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 05:17:00 AM »
My personal opinion is that I have always thought Hyde should have a closer working relationship with the psychological community and that a least some of the students needed more professional 1-1 help.  

In addition to help, what the pros are doing outside the gates should be integrated into the schools approach to the students inside the gates (and with the parents as well).

But the truth is that I actually don't know the details of Hyde's historical or current use of the psychological community.  

Annecdotally, however, I think this is an age old problem that goes back to Joe's relationship (antipathy?) with the psychological community.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005, 07:43:00 AM »
It's true -- one of the most common complaints about Hyde is that the school tends to ignore students' mental health issues.  Hyde's philosophy is that every misbehavior and struggle is an "attitude" problem or "character" problem.  I agree that attitude and character are vitally important.  But, there's absolutely no question that many Hyde students have difficulty coping with real, honest-to-goodness psychiatric issues.  It's appalling to me, and to many other parents, that Hyde is not willing to acknowledge these issues in a sincere way.  The fact that they don't employ bona fide mental health professionals (licensed psychologists, clinical social workers, counselors), when so many of their students deal with these issues, is incredible to me.  We've decided to move on to another school for this reason.  We had no idea this was Hyde's approach when we signed on, and we had no idea how pervasive these mental health issues are at Hyde.  The word needs to get out so that other parents and educational consultants aren't misled, particularly when families beat a path to Hyde's door in the midst of a student's and family's crisis.

Families also need to know how Hyde demands that everyone share their "dirty laundry" and very personal family details in seminars.  Those who run Hyde seem to think this approach is enlightened.  Yes, it may be useful to some, but for many it's horribly destructive, particularly when the seminar leaders aren't trained to deal with a crisis that emerges in the middle of a seminar (screaming battles, suicide threats, intense self-disclosure).  

At times (not always) Hyde administrators also provide students and families with phenomenally poor role models with regard to self-disclosure and personal boundaries.  Hundreds of people sit in an auditorium and listen to intimate details from the headmaster about how one of his sons (a Hyde graduate) got tossed out of college for misconduct; the headmaster's periodic marital struggles; the school's founder's marital conflicts and family struggles with alcoholism, etc.  The list goes on.  I fully believe group therapy and sharing with others can be useful.  But is it really appropriate for the school's headmaster and founder to broadcast to the world all of these intimate details?  Aren't there more constructive ways to encourage parents and students to acknowledge their personal struggles, model APPROPRIATE self-disclosure, and so on?  

Hyde claims to be preoccupied with ethics and integrity.  I'd like to hear Hyde administrators' answers to these questions: Did the founder ask his wife for her consent to broadcast to thousands of people all the details about her alcoholism and their marital problems?  Did the Hyde headmaster ask his son for his consent before he broadcast intimate details about his behavior and misconduct?  What kind of ethics is Hyde teaching?  What kind of role modeling is this?  Isn't it important to expose Hyde's hypocrisy?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2005, 11:16:00 AM »
Joe's wife Blanche passed away years ago.  I'm sure she'd agree that their struggle could help others.
Duncan's son I'm sure was told that his father would be sharing the family struggle.
I guess there are a lot of people, like you, that keep the family "secrets" tucked neatly away in a closet, until either the family disintegrates or the problem gets so big it's forced into the public eye.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2005, 11:23:00 AM »
Alcoholism and marital problems were minor compared to what my famly and young son were exposed to.  Had I known this in advance I would have never brought my other young son to the school for "Family Weekend."  What he heard was totally inappropriate and shocking.  I sincerely do not understand how Hyde can think it is therapuetic for a 13 year old to sit in a group and hear about attempted suicides, threats to kill a parent, yelling and screaming between parent and student, intimidation tactics to get each participant to come up with more intimate details of their lives!  There needs to be some kind of disclaimer or disclosure written to warn these parents!  It truly is shocking what is exposed in these seminars!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »
On 2005-10-12 08:16:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Joe's wife Blanche passed away years ago.  I'm sure she'd agree that their struggle could help others.

Duncan's son I'm sure was told that his father would be sharing the family struggle.

I guess there are a lot of people, like you, that keep the family "secrets" tucked neatly away in a closet, until either the family disintegrates or the problem gets so big it's forced into the public eye.

"

Your assumption is way off base.  In fact, I strongly believe that families should NOT tuck away their personal issues and struggles.  It can be enormously helpful to share those issues with others, particularly in settings that are carefully facilitated and supervised to ensure that the material is handled properly.  As my comments indicate, my main concern -- and I'm far from alone in this -- is that Hyde insists on exposure to groups of strangers, in seminars and sometimes in large public forums, and virtually no one at the school has formal training in the management of such remarkably sensitive material.  The consequences aren't always tragic or destructive, but sometimes they are. This may not concern you, but it certainly concerns me and many, many other Hyde critics.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2005, 12:54:00 PM »
On 2005-10-11 08:10:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hyde does have Psychologists on staff.  They are active professionals in Bath and Woodstock who see a large number of students on a regualr basis.  The psychologists then communicate with the parents and the school.  There also are several substance abuse pros on staff at the schools.  Gigi's husband is one there's another man named Geno Ring that see's a huge number of students in a group setting on both campuses.  There are also people on both campus that have advanced degrees in learning disablities.

"

I do not think it's accurate to state that "Hyde does have psychologists on staff." Our experience with Hyde is that the school is willing to refer students to clinicians in the local community. That is VERY different from saying that Hyde has clinicians on staff. Moreover, in our experience the coordination between Hyde and the clinicians tends to be rather superficial in many instances. Also, in our experience the clinician did not commuicate regularly with the school or with us. We received one phone call during an entire year (not that we expected regular phone calls -- we wanted to respect our child's privacy) and the clinician told us he/she had exactly one conversation during last year with Hyde staff.

This is a major problem, given the large numbers of students at Hyde with mental health issues. This is what distresses so many educational consultants and parents who recognize that schools that accept these students need to have appropriate professional services ON CAMPUS (and refer off campus when necessary and appropriate).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »
My wife and I were kicked out of Hyde washington dc school because we began to ask questions about the school and the money.We were at the school for six years and Joe Gauld rules with an iron fist. :evil:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2005, 02:13:00 PM »
On 2005-11-07 10:20:00, Anonymous wrote:

"My wife and I were kicked out of Hyde washington dc school because we began to ask questions about the school and the money.We were at the school for six years and Joe Gauld rules with an iron fist. :evil: "

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Joe Gauld and the Hyde-DC school.  Are you willing to summarize your experiences and concerns with Hyde?  Are there issues that parents considering Hyde should know about and take into consideration?  Are there issues that the other school systems around the U.S. that Hyde is entering should know about?  Are your experiences similar to or different from those reported by parents whose kids were/are enrolled in the two Hyde boarding schools?

I hope you've been able to find a good alternative to Hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2005, 05:55:00 PM »
On 2005-11-07 10:20:00, Anonymous wrote:

"My wife and I were kicked out of Hyde washington dc school because we began to ask questions about the school and the money.We were at the school for six years and Joe Gauld rules with an iron fist. :evil: "

Funny you say this because according to the "pro Hydettes" Joe Gauld has very little involvement.  I agree with you that Joe Gauld is VERY involved!!  

I too am very curious about your experiences at the DC school.  I don't hear much about the school other than the headmaster who came to speak at the boarding school and gave a "ra,ra rally!"

Does Joe Gauld or anyone else from the family get involved in the daily life at DC? Is it true that the kids do much better at Hyde DC then the public school system, or is this the same false public relations BS as at the boarding school?  Have you complained to the DC officials?

As far as money, what kind of questions were you asking that they threw you out?  Again this goes back to the censorship at Hyde. Hyde does NOT want anyone to make waves!

By the way, for those of you who heard all those great speeches from the Gauld family about how they don't make much money.....I know for a fact that the school, which is owned by the Gauld's is worth A LOT of $$$$! I'll take 1/4 of their net worth and retire any day!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2005, 10:07:00 PM »
I am amazed & heartened to see this site.  I'm a parent whose child left Hyde last year - after 2 years.  He transferred to another boarding school, one we should have enrolled in in the first place.  ANY good small school with caring faculty would have done it for us - without the high drama of Hyde. People put their kids into Hyde in a crisis - often on the advice of a consultant.  It was negligent to do this.  Leaving Hyde was leaving a cult.  I won't go on about this - lest I be accused by a Hyde fan of being over- emotional. My son wanted to go to a real school - one that valued academics and didn't use him as a 'proctor'.     Hyde pressured him intensely, wanting him to stay and 'face his fears'. I had several horrendous phone calls with staff.  At Hyde the first day they tell parents not to believe what your child tells you:  Deciding to listen to my son and advocate for his leaving was the best and hardest thing I have ever done.  Hyde doesn't want to hear the 'truth' - and when a parent and child decide what's best for themselves, they accuse you of various character flaws.

The 'seminars' - "let go, Let Hyde"... as they say...
With its foreground of "character" being more important that academic achievement, Hyde uses intensive ad hoc group therapy sessions to  intentionally intrude into the fabric and balance of the family system.  A retreat or "flc' is several days of 3 long 'seminars' a day punctuated by various group exercises designed to break down defenses.  This is practicing family systems group therapy without a license.  Of course no one at Hyde will admit this!   Hyde can't call itself a therapeutic school, of course, because there is no qualified counseling staff running these seminars or working with the kids -   despite the obvious needs of many if not most of the kids.  With missionary zeal and techniques that you suddenly realize are quite coercive, they push their untested educational theory on families who didn't realize they were captives of the 'process'.  

The premise of 'fix the family, fix the kid', and 'personal growth through the Hyde process"  could not be more destructive.  People end up disclosing intimate and often painful things about themselves.  If a family chose to seek therapy, a trained therapist would guide this slowly over time and know what to do with the results.   Imagine yourself In the 6th seminar hour of the 2nd day of a 4 day 'retreat' - led by an intrusive untrained leader pushing you to 'Tell the truth! What do you do when you don't go for truth!" - you're unbelievably divulging some intense personal issue (in front of your child...) and then - after hearing 'feedback' from the group (often misplaced, stereotyped and hurtful in itself), your time is up!  Dry your tears!  It's someone else's turn now!  It's no wonder Hyde doesn't have therapist on their staff: no professional would do this to people.  The state licensing boards ought to take more of an interest in what actually takes place in seminars.  Not just individual psyches are damaged: marriages, sibling relationships - all if it.  These people have no right to put families through this in the name of 'education'.  And this is only what the parents see:  it's the kids, who have to live this psychodrama day after day, who are really stuck.  Imagine being an underclassmen and having a posse of 'seniors who run the school' in your room at night accusing you of being 'dirty'.  ("Dirty" - their work for 'breaking ethics').  "If you're not dirty, are you willing to sign this paper saying if we find anything on you that you won't go home for spring break?"  

As I read this I cannot believe I ever got involved to the level I did.  In my region, for a time, I held a leadership position where I was supposed to do this to others.  I regret not standing up at these seminars and walking out, I regret any hurtful intrusion I ever made into other people and at some point I will write  apologies and explanations to them.

Simplest advice - stay away.  If you or your family need therapy, get a good therapist.  If you need a therapeutic school, there are many.  If you need a boarding school, find one.  It's hard to believe Hyde gets away with this.  Any why am I anonymous?  Maybe in a year I won't be.  At the moment I still don't trust the school - I do feel like I've left a cult.  I left my brains at the door when I entered, and hopefully my experience will prevent you from doing the same.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2005, 10:18:00 PM »
The FLCs's and Family Weekends were HORRIBLE.  They have absolutely no business whatsover doing these kind of things.  They get away with it because the parents are desperate.

I can't even describe how angry I'm getting just remembering this garbage.  I felt violated.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2005, 10:59:00 AM »
On 2005-11-09 19:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I am amazed & heartened to see this site.  I'm a parent whose child left Hyde last year - after 2 years.  He transferred to another boarding school, one we should have enrolled in in the first place.  ANY good small school with caring faculty would have done it for us - without the high drama of Hyde. People put their kids into Hyde in a crisis - often on the advice of a consultant.  It was negligent to do this.  Leaving Hyde was leaving a cult.  I won't go on about this - lest I be accused by a Hyde fan of being over- emotional. My son wanted to go to a real school - one that valued academics and didn't use him as a 'proctor'.     Hyde pressured him intensely, wanting him to stay and 'face his fears'. I had several horrendous phone calls with staff.  At Hyde the first day they tell parents not to believe what your child tells you:  Deciding to listen to my son and advocate for his leaving was the best and hardest thing I have ever done.  Hyde doesn't want to hear the 'truth' - and when a parent and child decide what's best for themselves, they accuse you of various character flaws.

The 'seminars' - "let go, Let Hyde"... as they say...

With its foreground of "character" being more important that academic achievement, Hyde uses intensive ad hoc group therapy sessions to  intentionally intrude into the fabric and balance of the family system.  A retreat or "flc' is several days of 3 long 'seminars' a day punctuated by various group exercises designed to break down defenses.  This is practicing family systems group therapy without a license.  Of course no one at Hyde will admit this!   Hyde can't call itself a therapeutic school, of course, because there is no qualified counseling staff running these seminars or working with the kids -   despite the obvious needs of many if not most of the kids.  With missionary zeal and techniques that you suddenly realize are quite coercive, they push their untested educational theory on families who didn't realize they were captives of the 'process'.  

The premise of 'fix the family, fix the kid', and 'personal growth through the Hyde process"  could not be more destructive.  People end up disclosing intimate and often painful things about themselves.  If a family chose to seek therapy, a trained therapist would guide this slowly over time and know what to do with the results.   Imagine yourself In the 6th seminar hour of the 2nd day of a 4 day 'retreat' - led by an intrusive untrained leader pushing you to 'Tell the truth! What do you do when you don't go for truth!" - you're unbelievably divulging some intense personal issue (in front of your child...) and then - after hearing 'feedback' from the group (often misplaced, stereotyped and hurtful in itself), your time is up!  Dry your tears!  It's someone else's turn now!  It's no wonder Hyde doesn't have therapist on their staff: no professional would do this to people.  The state licensing boards ought to take more of an interest in what actually takes place in seminars.  Not just individual psyches are damaged: marriages, sibling relationships - all if it.  These people have no right to put families through this in the name of 'education'.  And this is only what the parents see:  it's the kids, who have to live this psychodrama day after day, who are really stuck.  Imagine being an underclassmen and having a posse of 'seniors who run the school' in your room at night accusing you of being 'dirty'.  ("Dirty" - their work for 'breaking ethics').  "If you're not dirty, are you willing to sign this paper saying if we find anything on you that you won't go home for spring break?"  

As I read this I cannot believe I ever got involved to the level I did.  In my region, for a time, I held a leadership position where I was supposed to do this to others.  I regret not standing up at these seminars and walking out, I regret any hurtful intrusion I ever made into other people and at some point I will write  apologies and explanations to them.

Simplest advice - stay away.  If you or your family need therapy, get a good therapist.  If you need a therapeutic school, there are many.  If you need a boarding school, find one.  It's hard to believe Hyde gets away with this.  Any why am I anonymous?  Maybe in a year I won't be.  At the moment I still don't trust the school - I do feel like I've left a cult.  I left my brains at the door when I entered, and hopefully my experience will prevent you from doing the same."

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful commentary.  I really appreciate these insights; indeed, parents considering Hyde need to read this.  I'm very glad you found this website.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Advice to Parents Considering Hyde School
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008, 10:26:12 PM »
I attended Hyde for a summer session and a school year (not by choice) a few years ago. Admittedly, at the time, I was a bad kid, getting into a lot of trouble, and messing around with alcohol and drugs- this resulted in my expulsion from the local public high school.  At the time, Hyde felt like hell on earth, but I've had several years to gain perspective on the situation, and this is what I've learned- Hyde was hell on earth. The only two things it provided that definitely helped me was making me tougher, and the fact that being somewhere else physically makes you gain perspective on where you were. But the Hyde process itself is, if you'll excuse my language, complete bullshit. I was forced to be lectured to all day by older students' parents who thought they knew everything, and first year teachers (I'd say at least 50% only stay for a year) who obviously don't know anything. Their perverse form of therapy definitely left me with insecurities about myself and screwed me up emotionally for a couple years- years that have had a huge impact on my life looking back, as a 22 year old man. We were forced to degrade ourselves and humiliate our families based on their opinions (i say opinion because, as posted above, have not ONE legitimate therapist there), and if we disagreed, we punished, harassed, and humiliated further until we complied. I would strongly recommend anyone considering sending their kids there to evaluate other options, because this place won't help them- in all probability, they'll walk out with a whole new list of problems.

On a side note, I attended the Woodstock campus, and an adult coach of one of the sports teams was caught partying with students, messing around with the females, and selling them and a few teachers on campus cocaine. All the students were punished severely- the coach was let go quietly, and his main teacher customer was still teaching class the next day. Shows where Hyde's moral compass is really at- what would happen if it was a public school?(This is a 100% true story, I'm not making it up for revenge- i've made my own mental peace with that place, I just want you to have a full understanding of what they're really like before you subject your children to it.)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 01:41:44 PM »
Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to check back and lend your perspective! I'd venture that in another five years, or ten, you might even have a bit more to say about it all... I've been out quite a few more years than that, and my perspective as to the the damage done has increased, rather than lessened.

As you so correctly point out, Hyde Schools has NO PROFESSIONAL PERSONNEL skilled in the psychological or psychiatric arts on board (I hardly think that one administrator between two campuses, who went back to school to get a Masters in Addictions Counseling, can even begin to qualify). In fact, Hyde has a tremendous disdain for such professions, maintaining that the only qualification necessary -- to pass judgment on other people's "character" and how they live their lives -- is that one "cares."
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 03:19:39 PM »
One of the reasons why desperate parents (and desperate kids) sometimes do benefit from Hyde or stay at Hyde for as long as they do is because life at home is not pretty. The yelling in seminars can seem appropriate compared to the yelling at home, and having an environment that is fairly predictable can provide stability to a family that has completely fallen apart. If the home life is bad enough, Hyde can be the first place where people feel safe and feel cared for. There are faculty who take a true interest in the kids, and there is a feeling of a community in which, attacked or not, every person exists. I'm saying this because I went to Hyde when my family life was horrible. We had many issues, some of which my family dealt with semi-privately in seminars, and some of which we did not deal with at all.

I left Hyde with different problems, some of which developed there or were exacerbated by that environment. I became even more self-critical. I felt ashamed about every little mistake I made and took criticism too personally for many years. It made me fear public scrutiny and try to proactively avoid "mistakes" that would bring me negative attention, even if I disagreed that those decisions were mistakes... That said, Hyde was the best alternative for me at the time if the alternative was living at home. I cannot say what would have happened if I had gone to another program. I can say that I was living in a private hell at home. My family pathologized me, blamed me for everything, and verbally abused me. If I had not gone to Hyde, I would have gotten pregnant, run away from home, or killed myself-- I was that miserable. For me, Hyde was my great escape. My parents only let me go because the parent program assuaged their guilt for sending me away.

I am grateful that Hyde did not pepper me with psychological labels. I do not see myself as damaged goods now, although I have sought the help of mental health professionals from time to time to make sure I am dealing with my issues. I think that if I had been in an environment that called me a crazy kid, it would have been just another attack on a person who was already under fire. I found seminars helpful if my family talked about their reactions to things and not specifics. When families end up discussing specifics, some of these topics are inappropriate for that environment, but no one was told to gauge that boundary, which is and was scary. I do see that for some people, it was a totally unhealthy environment, and even for people who benefitted from Hyde, there are some definite negative effects. I would not send my own kids to Hyde, and yet it is a place to which I feel eternally grateful... it is a strange dichotomy, but I feel that if I ever have kids, I won't treat them badly enough that they need Hyde to be their safe space.

Hyde's current state makes me really sad. I think that it is useful to talk about character issues. It is not useful to be forced to share every self-examination in a public forum, but the questions Hyde raises could be helpful in and of themselves. I am angry at Hyde for forcing me to be in an environment that was intensely drug-focused-- I am not an addict of any kind-- and that made big dramatic displays all of the time as a crisis-focused school.

I do think that the ethics are appropriate for high school students, that having students participate in sports & performing arts is a good opportunity for raising a balanced kid, etc. I like that there is a tight-knit community within Hyde of people who do really care, and for me, my experiences with those people were much more common than the ones with the overly-aggressive faculty. It really is a love-hate relationship. I think I will always feel conflicted about Hyde. It is a strange place, for sure. I wish that Hyde would deal with its gross-oversights in its application of its own principles so that people could benefit from what it has to offer, instead of needing to recover from it afterwards. I also think that I would not be who I am today without having had to struggle through all of the moral nuances it intentionally and unintentionally provides.