Author Topic: Advice to Parents Considering Hyde School  (Read 18932 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Advice to Parents Considering Hyde School
« on: October 10, 2005, 04:03:00 PM »
An acquaintance of mine recently told me about this website and the detailed discussion of the Hyde School. I'm a parent of a student who left Hyde at the end of the academic year (in good standing, I should add). I've now taken some time to read many of the postings on this website.  Unfortunately, many of the postings seem like an exchange between a couple of angry, impulsive adolescents who are trading insults.  I wouldn't pay much attention to these barbs.

But, if you can wade through the postings on this site you'll also find quite a few very thoughtful comments and observations that, in my opinion, capture Hyde's culture very accurately. Yes, some students and families benefit from their Hyde experience.  They are very vocal supporters.  And, I wholeheartedly agree with those who say that Hyde can be a very, very destructive environment.  It's  true that the seminars can harm people greatly (in addition to providing some participants with a "growth" experience).  If you enroll at Hyde there's a very good chance that some staff and alumni parents will confront you in a very condescending, patronizing, and finger-pointing way, accusing you of not examining your own issues or digging deep enough.  You will feel pressured to expose very intimate information about your lives to complete strangers.  You can expect to witness seminar participants "lose it"; sadly, the seminar facilitators typically are teachers and alumni parents who have virtually no formal training in the handling of incredibly sensitive matters like these.  The consequences can be tragic, although they aren't always.  During my years with Hyde I've observed seminar participants scream, yell, threaten suicide, and bolt from the room while other participants and staff merely watched, not knowing quite what to do.  I sincerely regret that I exposed my child to this experience.  My partner and I eventually recognized our mistake -- late in the game, unfortunately -- and we've moved on.  We feel so much better having divorced ourselves from Hyde.  My child is functioning SO much better in her current school, which is so much healthier than Hyde in so many ways (the staff at the current school treat students and parents in a very humane way and stay in very close touch with parents -- just the opposite of our Hyde experience).

At Hyde I met some wonderfully sensitive, caring parents and staff.  Unfortunately, they were overshadowed by the many staff and alumni parents (the latter volunteer to staff mandatory seminars) who often come across in a very patronizing, insensitive and arrogant manner.  That behavior is very common at Hyde and seems to be the "norm."  (I encourage you to read HydeFan's postings on this website.  That's the style of communication I found to be very common at Hyde -- confrontational, defensive, accusing, with occasional flashes of insight and fair-minded reasoning.  If you're not comfortable with that style, Hyde may not be for you.)  It's also true that the turnover among staff (many of whom are very, very young and inexperienced) and students is high.

There are a number of schools for struggling teens that are so much more constructive than Hyde.  I encourage you to look for them, perhaps with the help of a well informed educational consultant.  My partner and I have met many parents who rushed into Hyde because they felt desperate to find a school in the middle of the year, usually while in a crisis state. Often these parents were new to the boarding school world and didn't know how may alternatives to Hyde exist.  Hyde's enrollment seems to benefit greatly from the pool of desperate parents.  Too often parents don't have the time to consider various schools and carefully examine their strengths and limitations.  I've encountered many parents who discovered over time that Hyde is a very poor fit for their child and family and, eventually, looked for a more wholesome environment.  There are lots and lots of parents who found a more appropriate school post-Hyde.  Taking the time to talk with other parents who have conducted the search can be very helpful.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 05:03:00 PM »
Thank you for posting.  Your comments are truly insightful.

What I find most interesting is that this theme cross-cuts the entire "industry," not just Hyde.  There are a few well-intentioned staff and teachers that do their best to help kids, but simply cannot do so within the framework of the "program."  

Unfortunately, these employees are usually ostracized and denigrated by the "true believers" (usually the management) and are "squeezed out" of their jobs, usually to be left with the impression that I got: this treatment modality simply does not work and can be very damaging to the developing mind.  This is precisely why one deosn't see "professionals" working at places like Hyde.  

Any educated mental health or education professional sees right away that the "program" is bunk and these types of places make a living marketing hope to desperate parents.

In any case, thank you once again for your comments and good luck with your daughter.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 06:03:00 PM »
I had both a son and a daughter at wilderness programs/schools and they both had at least one professional available to the participants.  Do you mean to tell me as big as Hyde is, (at least 180 students)they do not have any professionals on staff?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 08:08:00 PM »
On 2005-10-10 15:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I had both a son and a daughter at wilderness programs/schools and they both had at least one professional available to the participants.  Do you mean to tell me as big as Hyde is, (at least 180 students)they do not have any professionals on staff?"

You may find this hard to believe, but during our two-year experience with Hyde they did not employ even a single mental health professional on staff -- not a single one.  After we were at the school for several months we discovered that an enormous percentage of kids at Hyde struggle with things like depression, anxiety, eating disorders, substance abuse, and so on; we hadn't known that when we started.  We quickly found out that Hyde views everything a kid does that's problematic as a "character" and "attitude" issue.  Mental health doesn't enter into the equation.  We spoke with many parents who had the same reaction we did (although some parents like Hyde's approach).  That's one of the reasons many thoughtful parents leave the school.  They realize it's terribly shortsighted to treat kids this way.  (Hyde did bring in a professional from the outside to run groups for kids in recovery.)

If you think your kid has any mental health issues at all that affect his/her behavior and need to be considered, I recommend you find a school that is sensitive to those needs.  Hyde is not.  Period.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 08:30:00 PM »
For a long while, we had a former therapist from CEDU posting here. You might be able to find his story; he posted as "former cedu therapist", if memory serves.

He had a lot to say about the difficulty in having actual educated psyche professionals working in a LGA style environment. The staff, he said (peer staff, graduates, I guess?) bullied and cowed the therapists and never let them have any meaningfull access to the kids.

If there is a God, he is a malign thug.
--Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 09:25:00 PM »
I recall that Hyde had a very difficult time with parents who were in the field of Psychology!  Most of them did not buy into the program and for that reason Joe Gauld always had condescending comments in response to their questions.  Come to think of it, Joe Gauld reacted this same way to ANYONE who was not in agreement with him.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 10:26:00 PM »
On 2005-10-10 15:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I had both a son and a daughter at wilderness programs/schools and they both had at least one professional available to the participants.  Do you mean to tell me as big as Hyde is, (at least 180 students)they do not have any professionals on staff?"

Good God, please don't post this info on Struggling Teens, the program dependent parents will be terribly jealous that you raised 2 kids in a program(s).

:evil:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 09:50:00 AM »
The question was, does Hyde have ANY Psychologists on staff?

As far as your cheap shot HydeFan, (so obvious) it is a challenge raising adopted children.  You do the best you can but they come with extra baggage. :nworthy:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 10:45:00 AM »
Um, help me out here PLEASE!  I haven't posted on this stream (until now), don't think I have made any comments about adopted children (which would seem fairly rude to me), and don't really know which cheap shot you think it is I took.

Offline HydeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 10:46:00 AM »
Last one was me....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 11:10:00 AM »
Hyde does have Psychologists on staff.  They are active professionals in Bath and Woodstock who see a large number of students on a regualr basis.  The psychologists then communicate with the parents and the school.  There also are several substance abuse pros on staff at the schools.  Gigi's husband is one there's another man named Geno Ring that see's a huge number of students in a group setting on both campuses.  There are also people on both campus that have advanced degrees in learning disablities.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 11:32:00 AM »

On 2005-10-11 08:10:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hyde does have Psychologists on staff.  They are active professionals in Bath and Woodstock who see a large number of students on a regualr basis.  The psychologists then communicate with the parents and the school.  There also are several substance abuse pros on staff at the schools.  Gigi's husband is one there's another man named Geno Ring that see's a huge number of students in a group setting on both campuses.  There are also people on both campus that have advanced degrees in learning disablities.

****************************************************************************************************
Could you please tell me the name of these Psychologists on "Staff."  When I went to Hyde, (years ago) I was told Hyde could refer me to someone in the community, but it would be up to my parents to work it out with whoever I went to saw. There was never anyone available on campus or anyone who worked directly with the school.  

I think what many people have referred to on this website is the fact that when someone is in crisis during a FLC, Family Weekend, Group, when these parents and kids are pushed to the limit, there is not a Psychologist on hand.  These "groups" are run by former parents, young staff, and senior kids. I remember once wanting to run out of a seminar and call 911 because this parents was going ballistic and I thought she was going to have a breakdown.  This was always what worried me about Hyde.  There was no one there to help these people in crisis.

Please correct me if I am wrong about this.  Maybe things have changed and maybe Hyde does have Psychologists hired by the school and on staff full time, but I never saw it when I went.

Also I don't know about staff being trained in Learning disabilities.  I had ADD and was never offered any kind of assistance.  Again, please correct me if things have changed. It was about 8 years ago. It would be nice to know that things are different

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 04:47:00 PM »

"Hyde does have Psychologists on staff.  They are active professionals in Bath and Woodstock who see a large number of students on a regualr basis.  The psychologists then communicate with the parents and the school.  There also are several substance abuse pros on staff at the schools.  Gigi's husband is one there's another man named Geno Ring that see's a huge number of students in a group setting on both campuses.  There are also people on both campus that have advanced degrees in learning disablities.

"

I do not think it's accurate to state that "Hyde does have psychologists on staff."  Our experience with Hyde is that the school is willing to refer students to clinicians in the local community.  That is VERY different from saying that Hyde has clinicians on staff.  Moreover, in our experience the coordination between Hyde and the clinicians tends to be rather superficial in many instances. Also, in our experience the clinician did not commuicate regularly with the school or with us.  We received one phone call during an entire year (not that we expected regular phone calls -- we wanted to respect our child's privacy) and the clinician told us he/she had exactly one conversation during last year with Hyde staff.  

This is a major problem, given the large numbers of students at Hyde with mental health issues.  This is what distresses so many educational consultants and parents who recognize that schools that accept these students need to have appropriate professional services ON CAMPUS (and refer off campus when necessary and appropriate).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 08:02:00 PM »
On 2005-10-11 13:47:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

I do not think it's accurate to state that "Hyde does have psychologists on staff."  Our experience with Hyde is that the school is willing to refer students to clinicians in the local community.  That is VERY different from saying that Hyde has clinicians on staff.  Moreover, in our experience the coordination between Hyde and the clinicians tends to be rather superficial in many instances. Also, in our experience the clinician did not commuicate regularly with the school or with us.  We received one phone call during an entire year (not that we expected regular phone calls -- we wanted to respect our child's privacy) and the clinician told us he/she had exactly one conversation during last year with Hyde staff.  

This is a major problem, given the large numbers of students at Hyde with mental health issues.  This is what distresses so many educational consultants and parents who recognize that schools that accept these students need to have appropriate professional services ON CAMPUS (and refer off campus when necessary and appropriate).  "

You're absolutely right.  Unless things have changed very recently, Hyde does not have mental health staff at the school.  It is very misleading to state that Hyde has psychologists on its staff.  Parents should know what they're getting into if they send their kids to Hyde, particularly if the kids struggle with any sort of significant mental health issues.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 04:42:00 AM »
You've been very vocal till now Hydefan.  So, what gives?  You seem to have inside information about Hyde.  Is it true that Hyde does not have a full time or part time Psychologist on staff?