Author Topic: Protective Order Sought Against the Bundys  (Read 3339 times)

Offline tlcrescue

• View Profile
Protective Order Sought Against the Bundys
« on: October 07, 2005, 05:17:00 PM »
Parents in Thayer lawsuit seek protective order ;

Credit: The Kansas City Star
By Steve rock
Source: KCS
Friday, October 7, 2005
Edition: METROPOLITAN, Section: METROPOLITAN, Page 1
   _____  

ST. JOSEPH - The parents of a boy who died at a northwest Missouri military-type home for troubled teens have asked for a protective order
against the home's owners.

Victor and Gracia Reyes alleged in recent court filings that John Bundy, who owns Thayer Learning Center with his wife, Willa Bundy, made an
unannounced visit to the Reyes' home in Santa Rosa, Calif., in July and "threatened and harassed" the Reyeses.

The motion for a protective order, filed last week in Buchanan County Circuit Court, said John Bundy and his son Isaac Bundy encouraged the
Reyeses to settle their wrongful-death lawsuit against Thayer.

Roberto Reyes, 15, died in November 2004 while a resident at Thayer, about 50 miles northeast of Kansas City in Kidder, Mo. He had been there
less than two weeks, and his death has been attributed to a probable spider bite.

Rhonda Smiley, an attorney for Thayer, said Thursday that she would have no comment until attorneys file a formal response with the court next week. John and Willa Bundy have denied in court records any wrongdoing in conjunction with Roberto's death, and Thayer officials previously
said in a written statement to The Kansas City Star that general allegations of abuse at Thayer were "ludicrous and false."

According to the motion, the Bundys indicated they "would be forced to investigate all family members in an attempt to uncover any embarrassing
or personal information which would then be publicized through the litigation" if the lawsuit continued.

The Reyeses alleged in their wrongful-death lawsuit, filed in February, that Roberto was subjected to physical exertion and abuse that caused or contributed to his death. They alleged that Roberto was dragged, hit, "forced to lay in his own excrement for extended periods" and that he would have lived had he received competent medical care in a timely manner.

In court records, Thayer officials deny those and other allegations. According to an affidavit signed by Victor Reyes and entered into the
court file, John and Isaac Bundy told the Reyeses they were in California on business when they showed up at the Reyeses' home about 7 p.m. on July 27. The Bundys said that they were sorry for what happened to Roberto and that they did not wish to see the Reyeses hurt further. They said that if the lawsuit continued, however, they would seek any information that would cause "embarrassment, hurt and anguish" to the
Reyeses, the affidavit said.

The affidavit said the Bundys indicated that the embarrassment could be avoided if the Reyeses reached a settlement "outside our lawyers'
knowledge" and that the Reyeses "would be able to keep all the money and not have to give the lawyers any of it."

No dollar amounts were listed in court records.

"We felt threatened and scared that the Bundys would try to embarrass us and cause our family further hurt," Victor Reyes wrote in the affidavit.

The Reyeses asked that all defendants in the case - including their agents and employees - be required to stay 100 feet from the Reyeses and
be ordered to refrain from contacting them by any means. There are seven defendants in the case: Thayer, two affiliated businesses and four
employees of Thayer at the time of Roberto's death.The case is scheduled to go to trial in June.

To reach Steve Rock, call (816) 234-4338 or send e-mail to [email protected]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 01:21:00 PM »
On 2005-10-07 14:17:00, tlcrescue wrote:

"Parents in Thayer lawsuit seek protective order ;

Credit: The Kansas City Star

By Steve rock

Source: KCS

Friday, October 7, 2005

Edition: METROPOLITAN, Section: METROPOLITAN, Page 1

_____  

ST. JOSEPH - The parents of a boy who died at a northwest Missouri military-type home for troubled teens have asked for a protective order

against the home's owners.

Victor and Gracia Reyes alleged in recent court filings that John Bundy, who owns Thayer Learning Center with his wife, Willa Bundy, made an

unannounced visit to the Reyes' home in Santa Rosa, Calif., in July and "threatened and harassed" the Reyeses.

The motion for a protective order, filed last week in Buchanan County Circuit Court, said John Bundy and his son Isaac Bundy encouraged the

Reyeses to settle their wrongful-death lawsuit against Thayer.

Roberto Reyes, 15, died in November 2004 while a resident at Thayer, about 50 miles northeast of Kansas City in Kidder, Mo. He had been there

less than two weeks, and his death has been attributed to a probable spider bite.

Rhonda Smiley, an attorney for Thayer, said Thursday that she would have no comment until attorneys file a formal response with the court next week. John and Willa Bundy have denied in court records any wrongdoing in conjunction with Roberto's death, and Thayer officials previously

said in a written statement to The Kansas City Star that general allegations of abuse at Thayer were "ludicrous and false."

According to the motion, the Bundys indicated they "would be forced to investigate all family members in an attempt to uncover any embarrassing

or personal information which would then be publicized through the litigation" if the lawsuit continued.

The Reyeses alleged in their wrongful-death lawsuit, filed in February, that Roberto was subjected to physical exertion and abuse that caused or contributed to his death. They alleged that Roberto was dragged, hit, "forced to lay in his own excrement for extended periods" and that he would have lived had he received competent medical care in a timely manner.

In court records, Thayer officials deny those and other allegations. According to an affidavit signed by Victor Reyes and entered into the

court file, John and Isaac Bundy told the Reyeses they were in California on business when they showed up at the Reyeses' home about 7 p.m. on July 27. The Bundys said that they were sorry for what happened to Roberto and that they did not wish to see the Reyeses hurt further. They said that if the lawsuit continued, however, they would seek any information that would cause "embarrassment, hurt and anguish" to the

Reyeses, the affidavit said.

The affidavit said the Bundys indicated that the embarrassment could be avoided if the Reyeses reached a settlement "outside our lawyers'

knowledge" and that the Reyeses "would be able to keep all the money and not have to give the lawyers any of it."

No dollar amounts were listed in court records.

"We felt threatened and scared that the Bundys would try to embarrass us and cause our family further hurt," Victor Reyes wrote in the affidavit.

The Reyeses asked that all defendants in the case - including their agents and employees - be required to stay 100 feet from the Reyeses and

be ordered to refrain from contacting them by any means. There are seven defendants in the case: Thayer, two affiliated businesses and four

employees of Thayer at the time of Roberto's death.The case is scheduled to go to trial in June.

To reach Steve Rock, call (816) 234-4338 or send e-mail to [email protected]"

WOW ... wonder how common it is for program owners/operators to make personal housecalls in an effort to settle a wrongful death lawsuit?  I mean, I have heard of program owner/operators going to the funeral of a child who died in their program and even giving eulogies (gag me!) but this is very troubling.

Thank goodness the parents chose to seek a protective order rather than "settle" with these people.

:eek:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 03:16:00 PM »
Not a programmie, but some people base their beliefs on what just anyone else says.  I know for a fact that this was not the case, and is a troll. Intelligent people base their beliefs on facts, that can be proven, and will be in this case.  There is extreme right, and extreme left on this forum, and I can see little middle ground. That missing is from those how actually KNOW, which is cheap or totally missing from this site.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 03:20:00 PM »
On 2005-10-08 12:16:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Not a programmie, but some people base their beliefs on what just anyone else says.  I know for a fact that this was not the case, and is a troll. Intelligent people base their beliefs on facts, that can be proven, and will be in this case.  There is extreme right, and extreme left on this forum, and I can see little middle ground. That missing is from those how actually KNOW, which is cheap or totally missing from this site. "
I'm not sure what you mean.  Are you saying the article is inaccurate?  Can you clarify please?
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 03:55:00 PM »
Well, tlc rescue, I'M curious how's your child is doing now? And, I know for a fact what you are saying happened to your child is not entirely true.  It's a matter of fact, and I have no affiliation with TLC, but I know. He was a stubborn ass, and got corrected right up front, and not in the matter you said. There was no physical abuse, unless your child wanted it, which would have amounted to, at best,  to being restrained if they threatened the well being of others. Your child would have suceeded, but you performed  the miracle of rescuing. Here lies the whole problem from the start. You are lying. I hate to call anyone a liar, but you are.  Last I heard your child wasn't doing so hot, so you chose to place the blame to others besides yourself.  You placed your child in a place to learn to be accountable, but yet you cannot be accountable for yourself. So you pulled your child out . You spend valuable time on this forum instead of looking for the best interest of your child. The abuse you alledge is false. I was there.  Get your child to come to the forum, and lets see what is what. Your drama, was always understood by your teen, which is why your teen followed drama, which was not to your liking prior to enrolling them into TLC. The learning (which was the intention,was trying to be broken, but it was broken by you, not by your child, or the staff at TLC). You see where the underlying problem is?  You rescue, not help. How's the child doing now again?  I'm just really curious. Weak parents is two types. #1. those that want someone else to fix everything for them, and one that makes the effort to make it better. You are a parasite, blaming others who tried to help.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 04:18:00 PM »
I'm definitely saying it's innacurate.  It's in a legal battle, and the school will win, then there will be no interest of it on this forum? They've already graduated over 280 kids, all of about 5 are doing fine. Those five are still rebellious, and resentful, and trying to place blame somewhere other than themselves. What are you wanting me to tell you, that would make you open your brain?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 01:34:00 AM »
Hmmm ... seems this program has a history of making "house calls".

----------------------------

According to former Thayer employee Linda Raichel, members of the local Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ? which claims the Bundys and several other Thayer employees as members ? came to her home. The visit occurred after she had called the state?s child-abuse hot line and had expressed concerns to Brelsford about the treatment of some children.

?They told me that I was costing Thayer money and that I needed to apologize and drop it,? Raichel said. ?I told them, ?When hell freezes over, I will drop it.???

David Jensen, president of the Hamilton branch of the Mormon church, doesn?t remember the conversation quite that way.

?I guess my recollection was that ? it wouldn?t do her any good or the school any good by making complaints,? he said.

?She has the thinking of, ?Well, this is strange; this isn?t how I?d treat my kids.? I tried to help her understand that this is a business.?

--------------------------

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 09:14:00 AM »
On 2005-10-08 13:18:00, Anonymous wrote:
"They've already graduated over 280 kids, all of about 5 are doing fine."
That sounds about right.  A 2% success rate, hallelujah!
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 09:47:00 AM »
David Jensen, president of the Hamilton branch of the Mormon church, doesn?t remember the conversation quite that way.

That wouldn't be the same David Jensen who used to work for North Star would it?

Offline tlcrescue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 01:36:00 PM »
On 2005-10-08 12:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Well, tlc rescue, I'M curious how's your child is doing now? And, I know for a fact what you are saying happened to your child is not entirely true.  It's a matter of fact, and I have no affiliation with TLC, but I know. He was a stubborn ass, and got corrected right up front, and not in the matter you said. There was no physical abuse, unless your child wanted it, which would have amounted to, at best,  to being restrained if they threatened the well being of others. Your child would have suceeded, but you performed  the miracle of rescuing. Here lies the whole problem from the start. You are lying. I hate to call anyone a liar, but you are.  Last I heard your child wasn't doing so hot, so you chose to place the blame to others besides yourself.  You placed your child in a place to learn to be accountable, but yet you cannot be accountable for yourself. So you pulled your child out . You spend valuable time on this forum instead of looking for the best interest of your child. The abuse you alledge is false. I was there.  Get your child to come to the forum, and lets see what is what. Your drama, was always understood by your teen, which is why your teen followed drama, which was not to your liking prior to enrolling them into TLC. The learning (which was the intention,was trying to be broken, but it was broken by you, not by your child, or the staff at TLC). You see where the underlying problem is?  You rescue, not help. How's the child doing now again?  I'm just really curious. Weak parents is two types. #1. those that want someone else to fix everything for them, and one that makes the effort to make it better. You are a parasite, blaming others who tried to help. "

TROLL!  If you have no affiliation with TLC, how can you POSSIBLY know what happened to my son?  If you have NO AFFILIATION how did you witness his being there?  If you KNOW for a fact what happened to my son, tell me this, what is his name, what does he look like, give me any personal identifying information that PROVES you know my son!  If you can't then we all know who is the troll here, don't we!

And, btw..my son is doing extremely well!  He is making really good grades in school, for the first time in a LONG, LONG TIME!  No thanks to Thayer! He was sent to Thayer for academic help, what a joke!  Turns out he had a learning disability never properly diagnosed.  Once this was done, it was amazing how well he was able to do in school!