Author Topic: Impressions of Hyde School  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Impressions of Hyde School
« on: October 06, 2005, 07:27:00 AM »
I am new to this board.  Someone recommended that I look at this board as part of my exploration of schools.  

I have looked into many schools and talked with many educational consultants and parents about their advantages and disadvantages.  I have to say that my strong impression is that Hyde is in a class by itself, in many respects.  Thus far I have not encountered this kind of intense debate about a school's model and program.  Controversies about Hyde, alleged scandals at the school, etc., are very disturbing.  My overall impression is that Hyde has a relatively small number of passionate supporters who buy into the model and a huge number of equally passionate critics.  I can't say I've ever encountered more sustained criticism about a school and its treatment of students and parents (although Hyde certainly has its fans, as this board shows).  While some of Hyde's critics on this board seem to take potshots and provide only superficial (and occasionally immature) criticisms, I'm very impressed with the number of very thoughtful, insightful and intense comments from a number of parents (and students perhaps?) who seem to know Hyde very well.  

It seems clear that Hyde has one model that it tries to impose on every student.  If it's true that Hyde accepts many students with major behavior and mental health issues (that's the strong impression I'm getting), that approach is very troubling to me.  If I've learned anything over the years, it's that programs need to be sensitive to kids' individual needs.  For that reason, primarily, I wouldn't consider sending my child to Hyde.  The Hyde model seems very superficial compared to what I've heard about other schools; it may work well for some, but I get the impression that it doesn't work well for many and that the attrition rate is very high.  

I'm also very troubled by what sounds like Hyde's very doctrinaire approach and dominance by one family and its close allies.  Reading the comments on this site from a couple of Hyde supporters, I sense a strong tone that's rather patronizing, admonishing, defensive, and finger-pointing.  I haven't picked up that attitude in my conversations with parents and staff of the other schools I've explored.  Is that style typical of what one finds at Hyde?

I should also add that I recently chatted with two experts in the boarding school world who expressed serious concerns about Hyde's "arrogance" and "doctrinaire" style.  These education professionals are very well informed and were able to offer thoughtful insights about a whole range of schools.  This pattern of feedback is steering me away from Hyde.  My strong sense is that there are other schools for struggling adolescents that are a much better fit.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 08:52:00 AM »
I'd be really careful dealing with ANY "emotional growth" program.  Remember, these are NOT "schools."  Most have unaccredited academics and cannot issue diplomas, so as far as "school" is concerned, you'll have an 18-year-old with a 9th grade education and in serious need of remediation.

Please continue your good research and critical thinking.  Be sure to read up on LGAT (Large Group Awareness Training), as nearly every single "program" is based upon this philosophy.

Please read threads about other facilities you are considering.  If you have questions, please ask.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 11:05:00 AM »
On 2005-10-06 05:52:00, Dysfunction Junction wrote:

"I'd be really careful dealing with ANY "emotional growth" program.  Remember, these are NOT "schools."  Most have unaccredited academics and cannot issue diplomas, so as far as "school" is concerned, you'll have an 18-year-old with a 9th grade education and in serious need of remediation.

Please continue your good research and critical thinking.  Be sure to read up on LGAT (Large Group Awareness Training), as nearly every single "program" is based upon this philosophy.

Please read threads about other facilities you are considering.  If you have questions, please ask.
"

You are right about academics and the quality of "teachers" at Hyde.  I know one former Hyde student who left because the parents were very concerned about her education.  She was in 11th grade at Hyde.  When she interviewed for a spot in a local private school the admissions counselor stated the work she was previously doing was more on a 8th or 9th grade level.  

The above is only one of the reasons you should not base your decision on Hyde's marketing materials.  At Hyde, Character comes before education, but in life you have to have both and Hyde is not qualified to teach either.

Offline survivorami

• View Profile
Re: Impressions of Hyde School
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 06:29:58 PM »
Hyde is huge on LGAT (Large Group Awareness Training). It's been used in like, Lifespring, Landmark, EST, Synanon.. involves forced confession of sometimes deep traumas with no trained counselors or psychologists present. There's nothing magical about this.. it can be extremely irresponsible and even dangerous.

Offline katfacehead89

• View Profile
Re: Impressions of Hyde School
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 01:46:57 PM »
Also Mankind Project and the Human Potential Movement? Plus AA 8th step and maybe peppered in some Synanon and good old fashioned hitting and military workouts?