Author Topic: Phaser vs Misbehavior  (Read 10033 times)

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
Phaser vs Misbehavior
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 12:41:00 PM »
Guilt comes from 2 worlds.

What is and What you want it to be.

i.e. comparing the real and the ideal.

accept what is.  justice is in the present.

i know this is the medicine i need.

Be cool and you are cool.  Peace.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Phaser vs Misbehavior
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 12:58:00 PM »
Guilt can come from not getting that you had no power in a situation to do what you think you should have done.

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
Phaser vs Misbehavior
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 01:16:00 PM »
Us believeing we had no power takes our power now. That was part of the brainwash. We had power, we just didn't believe it.

"Justice is in the present"  A hard truth ,I must take in.

Perched on a limb,
Tattered from the Storm,
I wait.
The Sun drying my wings,
So I may fly once more.[ This Message was edited by: Withdraw on 2006-02-28 21:34 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Phaser vs Misbehavior
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 01:39:00 PM »
Hon, give me a break. You are going to be neurotic for the rest of your life until you get that you were a CHILD in a ridiculously abusive situation. An extremely imaginitively abusive situation. Nevermind the switch and the paddle, let's mind fuck them! Hell, you are still mind-fucked, and you complied relatively a lot less than many of the other children.

They got in your mind and your body and implanted stuff. Get high, go for a nice long drive, take off the rosy glasses and throw them out the window.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Phaser vs Misbehavior
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »
I think you didn't stand up againt the brainwashed, violent mob because you were not suicidal. To blame yourself for what the group did or for not having stopped it is like blaming 13yo black boys for allowing rampant police brutality. It just doesn't make sense.

Honestly, I was thinking along the lines that the misbehaver in question must be getting some kind of satisfaction out of it or they'd just play the role like I was doing. I didn't think they deserved it or that it was anything but entirely fucked up what they did to ppl. I just thought it was, like almost everything else that made up a day in the life of a compliant Straightling, none of my damned business. I was all about just dodging the worst of it till I could escape. It was all about saying "nice doggy, nice doggy!" till I could get some distance.

I did take a valuable lesson from it, though. I learned how fucking powerful and dangerous that brand of group-think can be. And I do my level best every day to subvert it wherever I find it.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
-- Aristotle

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Phaser vs Misbehavior
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 02:22:00 PM »
On 2005-10-05 10:40:00, Antigen wrote:

Honestly, I was thinking along the lines that the misbehaver in question must be getting some kind of satisfaction out of it or they'd just play the role like I was doing.

This is true to a point, it was fun to 'misbehave' (I always hated that term, I knew then and now that it was an attempt to belittle and infantilize my nonconformity to Straight's wishes....), especially when there were others doing it (if there were enough, say, 10 out of 100-120 people) you could shut down the group---they either had to spend all of their time 'dealing' with nonconformists, or they would have to remove us from group.  Also, the comradery helped you endure the beatings, pokings, being sat on, etc.  The moral support of other nonconformists cannot be ignored.  

Through noncompliance, I was also able to more clearly expose Straight's lies, at least to myself.  People who thought that my playing air guitar, singing "War Pigs", or telling the group that I wanted to smoke pot was somehow a 'threat to their recovery/sobriety/straightness/whatever' were not people to take seriously.

That being said, I chose to comply, and "con" my way to 2nd phase, where it was easier to leave, and I could have a few hours head start on any Straightlings that were after me.  "Misbehaving" was cool, don't get me wrong, but it had nothing on LEAVING STRAIGHT.  That was always my goal.  I was a Drug War POW, and the duty off any POW is to ESCAPE.  A friend once called me 'an enemy captain in the War on Drugs', it made me proud.

Looking back, I don't think I would have done things much differently, but that's me.  I don't resent anyone for completing the program.  I do resent some of the phasers that were assholes to me so they could score points with staff, asswipes like George Harvard, Richard Monterro, Oren Kicklighter, and other shits whose names I don't recall now.  I resent the Staff, particularly the execs, even more, I hate them with a passion.

RTP2k3

• View Profile
Phaser vs Misbehavior
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 02:35:00 PM »
On 2005-10-05 11:22:00, Anonymous wrote:

" 'an enemy captain in the War on Drugs'

"

Social revolutionary, Right On !!!   :skull:
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

• View Profile
Phaser vs Misbehavior
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 03:08:00 PM »
On 2005-10-05 10:16:00, Withdraw wrote:

"Us believeing we had no power takes our power now. That was part of the brainwash. We had power, we just didn't believe it"

i agree, except i would say we just didn' know the limits of our power.

• View Profile
Phaser vs Misbehavior
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 03:10:00 PM »
On 2005-10-05 10:39:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hon, give me a break. You are going to be neurotic for the rest of your life until you get that you were a CHILD in a ridiculously abusive situation. An extremely imaginitively abusive situation. Nevermind the switch and the paddle, let's mind fuck them! Hell, you are still mind-fucked, and you complied relatively a lot less than many of the other children.

They got in your mind and your body and implanted stuff. Get high, go for a nice long drive, take off the rosy glasses and throw them out the window."

This is right on too.

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
Phaser vs Misbehavior
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2005, 03:38:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: Withdraw on 2006-02-28 21:34 ]

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Phaser vs Misbehavior
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 03:49:00 PM »
I have always said that if it were possible to have known then what I do now, or at the very least have had some life experience at all.....I would have misbehaved.

I do recall that misbehavers had the worst, but sometimes they had it the best too.  When the floor banging and head crunching relented, staff always had to resort to trying to bribe with rewards and special attention to get those kids to work, probably only to appease the parents.....but I was ever jealous of all the special attention they got, outside of the violence of course.  And when one decided to start working, whoa boy, they were praised and got to walk up to staff whenever they wanted, got to sit with their parents once a week even while on first phase, got to take field trips sometimes.  Doesnt make it right, but under the circumstances, it seemed like the way to go if you had the cojones.  Some kids snapped to at the attention and decided to do this yoyo on and off thing...so when the attention slowed, they just slumped their shoulders and started talking out in group again.

It showed courage I think, but it also took courage not to sink down into that kind of cycle as well.   Some may call people who worked "weak", but there was an equal weakness in misbehaving I think....there was no right way.  You simply chose one or the other.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Phaser vs Misbehavior
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2005, 04:21:00 PM »
On 2005-10-05 12:38:00, Withdraw wrote:

How does one unprogram the "psychobabble" running in your heads?

Replace it w/ a more sensible take on things.

How do people stop devulging every single thought?

Oh, practice changing the subject to the other person (people) you're talking with.

Is there a space of peace between the Guilt and Rage? Because I don't want to experience either of those feelings on a daily basis. Don't hate me, I'm hurting alot.

Oh sure! Look, the Program is a mindfuck and it does do some damage. But it's not the worst thing anyone ever survived. Hang out w/ some war vets or depression survivors or immigrants for awhile. You'll see.

We ought to be grateful that our government monopoly schools are such a failure. If today's 18 year olds could do arithmetic, they'd be out buying enough rope to hang everybody over 40.
--Alan Handleman on Social Security

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
Phaser vs Misbehavior
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2005, 04:56:00 PM »
I got placed in the program by a parent that was'nt ready or able to "get with the program."
Upon entering the building, I saw right away that most of the kids there pretty much deserved to be there in a sense.  There were alot of assholes, and as an adult, I would'nt want them fuckers living in my house with access to my valuables.  It did'nt really sink in until Monday nights open meeting when I got to see the other half...the parents.  Holy fucking shit!!  After seeing the self righteous white collar parents, the religeous nuts and the ones that simply did not have a clue, I came to realize that there was not gonna be any easy way out for me, because in my mind I was way too normal.  I told outlandish stories when I related about criminal mischief that I never actually did.  Staff caught on, I guess and they started this shit were they would try to force me to admit to all this shit that I refused to be a part of.  I did not steal from my mom, I mowed lawns and bought my own shit including pot and beer.  I did'nt de-virginize every girl in the subdivision, because most would not give me the time of day.  This whole "rap" shit was ludicrus.  After four days, I gave up and started being a jerk hoping they would call my probation officer and throw me out of the program.[ This Message was edited by: 85 Day Jerk on 2005-10-05 14:10 ]
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
Phaser vs Misbehavior
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2005, 05:28:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: Withdraw on 2006-02-28 21:34 ]

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
Phaser vs Misbehavior
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2005, 07:26:00 PM »
On 2005-10-05 12:38:00, Withdraw wrote:

"So it's my need to understand it ,that is  keeping me from letting go on a regular basis?

Trying to let go...isn't that really oxymoronic? We tend to get all caught up in the effort, which in reality requires none. Hold your lighter and tell me about the effort in letting go of it. It's all a matter of lack of effort.

Why is there a need to "understand"? Think...here I am...suddenly I am impaled by an arrow...5 people around me and I ask them to find the one responsible...Why not ask one to pull the arrow from my body? The need to "understand" is on of my favorite stalling techiques when it comes to letting go...

Don't hate me, I'm hurting alot.

Oy...
Take a deep breath...take that walk suggested earlier in the thread. Listen to some Pink Floyd. Laugh with friends. Come to realize that emotions are not unlike the atmosphere...there it is constant change...cloudy, sunny, rainy but it is still the atmosphere...the weather/emotions...it's all part of it
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right