Author Topic: Why Are People Homeless  (Read 4756 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2005, 11:43:00 AM »
On 2005-10-12 20:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

"What laws, please."

The ones that require a prohibitively expensive and impractical level of inspection, definition and certification before one free soverign adult is allowed to produce and sell fuel products to another free soverign adult.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
"Isn't your pants' zipper supposed to be in the front?"
--Hobbs to Calvin

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2005, 11:54:00 AM »
On 2005-10-02 20:44:00, Anonymous wrote:

Our neglect of public education leaves many graduates unprepared for work or for college.

Neglect :question:  :exclaim:  :rofl:

Oh my! Yeah, that's it! It's not that administration and shrinks outnumber teachers by about 2-1, it's not all the extra cops and laws. Nothing at all to do w/ the Federal No Child Left Behind (by recruiters) or the invasive DARE and other snitch programs, NO! That's not a problem. What we need is MORE of the same shit to finally get the schools to start turning the bend.

God damn, WHY are people so fucking gullible?

It takes only about 30 hours of contact instructin to teach most kids (or adults) basic litteracy and numeracy. That's it, that's all it takes. From that point, just stay the hell out of the kid's way except when they ask for help and advice. Kids learn how to do the complex social dances and skilled stupid human tricks necessarry to successful living in exactly the same way they learn to walk and talk. We're all born w/ a natural drive to master every stupid human trick we see our older family members and neighbors demonstrate.

The fucked up think about the schools and our economy is that our schools have been a smashing success! They reliably turn out, year after year, a crop of helpless, dependent young adults who are completely incapable of thinking for themselves or even understanding when the authority figure placed before them is speaking nonsense.

It's working just fine for some people. That's why they haven't made any progress in fixing things to our liking. I say we quit paying them and quit obeying them.

To seek out the best through the whole Union, we must resort to the information which from the best of men, acting disinterestedly and with the purest motives, is sometimes incorrect.
http://lfb.com/?stocknumber=FF7485&code=10247' target='_new'> Thomas Jefferson Letter to Elias Shipman and others of New Haven, July 12, 1801.

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2005, 12:57:00 PM »
On 2005-10-14 08:54:00, Antigen wrote:

"

On 2005-10-02 20:44:00, Anonymous wrote:

Our neglect of public education leaves many graduates unprepared for work or for college.

Neglect :question:  :exclaim:  :rofl:

Oh my! Yeah, that's it! It's not that administration and shrinks outnumber teachers by about 2-1, it's not all the extra cops and laws. Nothing at all to do w/ the Federal No Child Left Behind (by recruiters) or the invasive DARE and other snitch programs, NO! That's not a problem. What we need is MORE of the same shit to finally get the schools to start turning the bend.

God damn, WHY are people so fucking gullible?

It takes only about 30 hours of contact instructin to teach most kids (or adults) basic litteracy and numeracy. That's it, that's all it takes. From that point, just stay the hell out of the kid's way except when they ask for help and advice. Kids learn how to do the complex social dances and skilled stupid human tricks necessarry to successful living in exactly the same way they learn to walk and talk. We're all born w/ a natural drive to master every stupid human trick we see our older family members and neighbors demonstrate.

The fucked up think about the schools and our economy is that our schools have been a smashing success! They reliably turn out, year after year, a crop of helpless, dependent young adults who are completely incapable of thinking for themselves or even understanding when the authority figure placed before them is speaking nonsense.

It's working just fine for some people. That's why they haven't made any progress in fixing things to our liking. I say we quit paying them and quit obeying them.

To seek out the best through the whole Union, we must resort to the information which from the best of men, acting disinterestedly and with the purest motives, is sometimes incorrect.
http://lfb.com/?stocknumber=FF7485&code=10247' target='_new'> Thomas Jefferson Letter to Elias Shipman and others of New Haven, July 12, 1801.

"

Something needs to be done about teacher's unions allowing incompetent teachers to remain on the job. My kids go to public schools and I have overall been satisfied with them. When I noticed things that were missing I spoke up and they were addressed. They are very open to feedback and implementing things that work for the students as well as the families.

I never thought I would utter those words out my mouth though. Growing up I went through shitty public and private schools and pretty much fell through the cracks. The label of being a bad kid pretty much followed me year after year and it just became a sort of self fufilling prohpecy. I was bored and restless being in such a cold, restrictive, and overly structured enviroment. Hell the teachers were nuts too. I've had books thrown at me, been slapped, pinched, shaken, and ridiculed more times I care to remember. I started skipping school in 5th grade as it just became too much for me to bear.

I was totally unprepared for college and no one ever gave me any sort of inspiration to go to college and find a career I was suited for. No ACT or SAT was ever mentioned to me. I entered college and had to take remedial math and English classes. Fortunatly, I had no problem excelling in college as it was much easier for me because I was treated with respect, had the ability to have more choices and my input was valued. I have noticed a lot of people that were the "troubled" kids in school excell in college. Perhaps our public school system needs to figure out why this is.

I'm pretty much for scrapping our current school systems and starting over. Some schools are already making major changes, but far too many are still caught up in the old ways of doing things.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2005, 01:16:00 PM »
On 2005-10-14 06:00:00, Anonymous

What will happen when their time is up and they have no home to return to?"

I have witnessed a trend of low and moderate income people becoming nomads of sorts. Not by choice either.

There are just not enough affordable places to rent and many times landlords find other ways of shutting out these renters by discriminating with credit checks and criminal background checks.

Lack of secure employment and lacking basic necessities such as reliable transporation create a domino effect of people's lives unravelling. They soon find themselves evicted and life becomes going back and forth between shelters and short term housing till the the next crisis arises.

I don't forsee things getting any better as long as jobs continue to be outsourced to exploited workers overseas and our manufacturing jobs keep disappearing.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2005, 02:33:00 PM »
***It's working just fine for some people. That's why they haven't made any progress in fixing things to our liking. I say we quit paying them and quit obeying them.

::cheers::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2005, 02:49:00 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2005, 02:51:00 PM »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2005, 03:07:00 PM »
On 2005-10-14 09:57:00, webcrawler wrote:

Perhaps our public school system needs to figure out why this is.

I'm pretty much for scrapping our current school systems and starting over. Some schools are already making major changes, but far too many are still caught up in the old ways of doing things.

Well, you'll find, if you try it, that educrats and even ran-n-file teachers turn hostile and sometimes dangerous whenever you get close to the nut of the issue.

Most of them believe with fervent faith that what they have been trained to do and have done for a living is all about educating children. Nothing could be further from the truth. The truth is that they have been trained and have worked in the trade of preventing kids from educating themselves.

John Taylor Gatto, former NYC and NYS teacher of the year, explains it best. Here's his whole book online for free: http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/toc1.htm

The public school system is not going to fix the problem because that would put them all out of work. Not only that, it would force a significant segment of the population to give up their delusions of grandure and face the fact that they're really bad guys.

As far as scrapping the system, it's getting easier and easier to do that every year; at least from the pov of an individual student. When my dad was a kid, the compulsory schooling laws were not really enforced; except on a selective basis to hassle the trouble makers. But, for the most part, kids studied hard in order to get a diploma and education which were NOT guaranteed w/ minimal attendance and compliance. Kids actually failed classes and grades for purely accademic reasons. Can you imagine?

But things are different now. I took my kid out of public school as soon as she agreed that that was the better option. That was after first grade, which had been too much like kindergarten and, therefore, too boring for her. So we registered her as a homeschooler and just kept on doing what we had been doing; nothing. We read, she wanted to know how to do that. We discuss the issues of the day, naturally she wanted to be able to win an argument now and then. She made friends in real life and through online contacts, they also discuss various issues, she still likes to appear well informed and such. So, naturally, she saw to it that she was. We've never, ever had an argument over homework or study. When the french company that had hosted a server of her favorite online game shut down, naturally she wanted to learn enough French to communicate w/ her new friends. All we had to do was buy the book and cds and stay the hell out of her way. Now, when we argue over the typical family stuff, we often get cussed out in French.

She decided this year that she wanted to go to highschool. So we borrowed a set of 8th grade curriculum from the school so she could make sure she was up to speed. She was, no remediation required. There are no French speakers in her school. But, on the up side, the other students are willing to pay $3/copy for CDs containing all of their favorite songs. And, since she's had the leisure and freedom to explore areas of interest not usually spoon-fed to highschool age kids, they all think she's some kind of genius.

My point is this; at this stage of the comic tragedy that is the American education story, all that is necessary to improve on the system for yourself is to DROP OUT! If you want to solve the overal, public education problem, we'll have to do it enmass.

Our country right or wrong. When right, to be kept right; when wrong, to be put right.
--Carl Schurz, German-born U.S. general and U.S. senator

Straight, Sarasota
   10/80 - 10/82
Apostate 10/82 -
Anonymity Anonymous

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2005, 02:57:00 PM »
The U.S. Congress has been ordered to cut $3 billion from farm and nutritional programs by the Bush Administration. Congress is currently debating over which programs should be cut. At the moment, the GOP is leaning towards cutting conservation programs as well as food stamps for hundreds of thousands of poor people. Currently, half of all food stamp recipients are children.

But a broad coalition of nonprofit public interest organizations, including the Organic Consumers Association, Oxfam, Community Food Security Coalition, and the Land Stewardship Project, adamantly disagrees with placing the burden of budget cuts on the backs of the needy and the environment. Instead, we STRONGLY feel the cuts should be taken out of the $20 billion annual pork-barrel subsidies that are currently being given to the wealthiest factory farms, commodity exporters, and industrial agriculture corporations.

Iowa Senator Grassley has proposed an amendment to USDA appropriations that would cap taxpayer subsidies to corporate farms at $250,000 a year. It's no surprise that even this modest attempt at reducing corporate welfare is being attacked by corporate agribusiness. The nation's food stamp recipients, as well as the environment, need your support now, as this decision will be made in the next few days. Take action and support the "Rural America Preservation Act" (S. 385, a Senate bill which would set a cap on subsidies).

Send a message here:
http://www.demaction.org/dia/organizati ... n_KEY=1200

Spearheaded by Senator Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga) and GOP supporters, the proposal would eliminate food stamps for more than 300,000 impoverished people. Currently, more than half of all food stamp recipients are children, and a quarter are senior citizens. While millions of Americans are looking for ways to cope with the aftermath of hurricanes and drought, powerful members of the Senate are being swayed by agriculture industry lobbyists, who are pushing for food stamps cuts while supporting massive tax payer subsidies to the nation's wealthiest industrial agriculture
operations. "Right now the difference between life and death for many Americans is the food stamp program," said Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont. "We
should not, we cannot, cut the very nutritional programs that are literally saving lives."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2005, 03:53:00 PM »
On 2005-10-14 12:07:00, Antigen wrote:

"

On 2005-10-14 09:57:00, webcrawler wrote:

Perhaps our public school system needs to figure out why this is.

Well, you'll find, if you try it, that educrats and even ran-n-file teachers turn hostile and sometimes dangerous whenever you get close to the nut of the issue.

Most of them believe with fervent faith that what they have been trained to do and have done for a living is all about educating children. Nothing could be further from the truth. The truth is that they have been trained and have worked in the trade of preventing kids from educating themselves.

John Taylor Gatto, former NYC and NYS teacher of the year, explains it best. Here's his whole book online for free: http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/toc1.htm

The public school system is not going to fix the problem because that would put them all out of work. Not only that, it would force a significant segment of the population to give up their delusions of grandure and face the fact that they're really bad guys.

As far as scrapping the system, it's getting easier and easier to do that every year; at least from the pov of an individual student. When my dad was a kid, the compulsory schooling laws were not really enforced; except on a selective basis to hassle the trouble makers. But, for the most part, kids studied hard in order to get a diploma and education which were NOT guaranteed w/ minimal attendance and compliance. Kids actually failed classes and grades for purely accademic reasons. Can you imagine?

But things are different now. I took my kid out of public school as soon as she agreed that that was the better option. That was after first grade, which had been too much like kindergarten and, therefore, too boring for her. So we registered her as a homeschooler and just kept on doing what we had been doing; nothing. We read, she wanted to know how to do that. We discuss the issues of the day, naturally she wanted to be able to win an argument now and then. She made friends in real life and through online contacts, they also discuss various issues, she still likes to appear well informed and such. So, naturally, she saw to it that she was. We've never, ever had an argument over homework or study. When the french company that had hosted a server of her favorite online game shut down, naturally she wanted to learn enough French to communicate w/ her new friends. All we had to do was buy the book and cds and stay the hell out of her way. Now, when we argue over the typical family stuff, we often get cussed out in French.

She decided this year that she wanted to go to highschool. So we borrowed a set of 8th grade curriculum from the school so she could make sure she was up to speed. She was, no remediation required. There are no French speakers in her school. But, on the up side, the other students are willing to pay $3/copy for CDs containing all of their favorite songs. And, since she's had the leisure and freedom to explore areas of interest not usually spoon-fed to highschool age kids, they all think she's some kind of genius.

My point is this; at this stage of the comic tragedy that is the American education story, all that is necessary to improve on the system for yourself is to DROP OUT! If you want to solve the overal, public education problem, we'll have to do it enmass.

Our country right or wrong. When right, to be kept right; when wrong, to be put right.

--Carl Schurz, German-born U.S. general and U.S. senator

Ginger Warbis ~ Antigen

Drug war POW

Seed Chicklett `71 - `80

Straight, Sarasota

10/80 - 10/82

Apostate 10/82 -

Anonymity Anonymous"

Well said, Ginger, I agree on all points.

Very cool about your daughter, she sounds like a great kid!

:tup:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2005, 06:16:00 PM »
On 2005-10-16 12:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

Well said, Ginger, I agree on all points.

Very cool about your daughter, she sounds like a great kid!

:tup: "

Thanks. And yeah, she is. I couldn't be prouder of any of them.

The most fundamental fact about the ideas of the political left is that they do not work. Therefore we should not be surprised to find the left concentrated in institutions where ideas do not have to work in order to survive.

--Thomas Sowell

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2005, 06:22:00 PM »
Thanks for the lead. I agree, farm subsidies need to stop. But doing it piecemeal like this can bankrupt a lot of small farmers while trying to injure the laviathan. I'm not quite ready to sign onto the organization, but I will look into it.

Mean time...

On 2005-10-16 11:57:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Right now the difference between life and death for many Americans is the food stamp program," said Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont. "We
should not, we cannot, cut the very nutritional programs that are literally saving lives."

...another strong argument against taking welfare of any kind. Better to take your chances in some gray market enterprise or live austerly than to go on the dole. When you reach out to grab the cash, that's when they slap the cuffs on ya'.

All our liberties are due to men who, when their conscience has compelled them, have broken the laws of the land.
--William Kingdon Clifford

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2005, 10:07:00 PM »
Well here's an initative toward self sufficiency:

LOW INCOME KIDS CREATE HEALTHY FOOD AD CAMPAIGN
Bus riders in Seattle are seeing many of the traditional junk food advertisements on the buses converted into pieces of art made by children. According to students in the area, they had never seen an advertisement for fresh fruits and vegetables, but could list countless junk food ads they see daily. Thanks to several local grants and a wealth of creative thinking, a small group of local organizers created an innovative program to improve the nutrition of low-income inner city kids by teaching them gardening, cooking and food self reliance skills. The program has helped nearly a thousand minority and low income kids create their own advertisements for healthy foods which are posted on city buses. The same program is now offering opportunities for low income inner-city students to tour local farms and to learn about gardening. http://www.organicconsumers.org/school/kidads101305.cfm
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »
Community Supported Agriculture is proving to be an excellent way to protect and sustain the local 'truck farm' and eliminate all the middle men, as well as the dependence on oil to transport our food across the nation. Because the produce is organic, it's more nutritious and fresher. Many, many pluses.
Much on the net:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2 ... culture%22
A sample:
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/csa.html

In basic terms, CSA consists of a community of individuals who pledge support to a farm operation so that the farmland becomes, either legally or spiritually, the community?s farm, with the growers and consumers providing mutual support and sharing the risks and benefits of food production. Members or shareholders of the farm or garden pledge in advance to cover the anticipated costs of the farm operation and farmer?s salary. In return, they receive shares in the farm?s bounty throughout the growing season, as well as satisfaction gained from reconnecting to the land. Members also share in risks, including poor harvest due to unfavorable weather or pests. ? USDA definition

BTW Ginger, PA has many CSAs:
http://wsare.usu.edu/pub/index.cfm?sub=csa
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2005, 08:38:00 PM »
Cool. I looked into that a little bit awhile back. Not sure if I can sell the rest of the family on it or not. Took me 16 god damned years to sell them on getting out of Florida! But thanks for the reminder.

Never underestimate the power of the status quo...America's schools are part of government, subject to public whim and will.  By and large, we have the kind of schools that people want. While they acknowledge the need for improvement, in other people's schools, most American are reasonably content with their own.
--Former public school superintendent Ronald J. Perry, 1992.