Author Topic: Why Are People Homeless  (Read 4730 times)

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 02:58:00 PM »
The county I live in has built supportive affordable housing and it has met a lot of community opposition. It's a shame there is not enough to go around. The waiting lists are very long. A person can expect to wait a few years before a unit becomes available. Same thing with HUD subsidized housing and Section 8. It's frustrating to say the least.

Right now HUD has a program that helps renters with Section 8 become home owners. The renter attends money management, credit repair, and household upkeep classes to prepare them for home ownership and get approved for a mortgage. Once the renter becomes a homeowner HUD subsidizes the mortgage the same way they did the rent. Great way to save money when most mortgages are lower than rent. A win win situation.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 12:02:00 AM »
Good series from 2001:
Making It On The Minimum

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/features/minimum/

Ehrenreich is featured in two of the five short pieces.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 06:36:00 AM »
August 30, 2005

New Report on Income and Poverty

Today the U.S. Census released its annual report on income, poverty, and health insurance coverage in the United States.   The number of Americans living in poverty increased to 37.0 million, or 12.7% of the population in 2004, compared to 35.9 million (12.5%) in 2003.  Median household income was unchanged.

This is the fourth year in a row that poverty has increased.  

The poverty rate among seniors decreased from 10.2% in 2003 to 9.8% in 2004, while it increased for children (from 17.6% to 17.8%) and adults age 18-64 (from 10.8% to 11.3%).

Although the economy has grown in recent years, poverty has increased.  The data show low-income people getting a shrinking share of a modestly growing pie.  The share of income going to Americans in the lowest quintile of the income distribution went from 3.6% in 1999 to 3.4% in 2004. At the same time, the share of income going to those in the highest quintile went from 49.4% to 50.1%.

This CPS income and poverty data release each year does not include the food insecurity data, which usually come out in October.  However, those numbers went up each year in 2001, 2002, and 2003, just as the poverty numbers did, and now the Census Bureau has reported that the poverty rate increased again in 2004.

Proposals in Congress to cut food stamp spending over the next five years would only exacerbate the worsening situation faced by millions of low-income people.

For more information, see the U.S. Census release at:

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www ... 05647.html

See the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities¹ release at:

http://www.cbpp.org/8-30-05pov.htm

See the Coalition on Human Needs¹ release at:

http://www.chn.org/issues/statistics/povertyday.html

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2005, 12:54:00 AM »
Poverty Growing And Is Undercounted As Well

(?US Poverty: Chronic Ill, Little Hope For Cure,? boston.com, October 5, 2005)

Since 2000, the number of poor people in the U.S. has grown every year, and by almost 5.5 million in total. The shocking New Orleans pictures of poor black people begging for help prompted comparisons with conditions in developing countries from Somalia and Angola to Bangladesh. The percentage of African-Americans living in poverty is 24.7 percent, a percentage almost twice as high as the overall rate for all races (12.7 percent). But in America, there are also three times as many poor whites as blacks, and the poverty rate for whites has risen faster than that for blacks and Hispanics. "Every August, we Americans tell ourselves a lie," says David Brady, a Duke University professor, referring to the time when the U.S. Census Bureau releases annual poverty figures. "Taking everything into account, the real [poverty] rate is around 18 percent, or 48 million people. Poverty in the United States is more widespread, by far, than in any other industrialized country." Many of the American poor are ?working poor? whose wages are not enough to keep them above the poverty line and tens of thousands of whom are forced to sleep in cars, trailers, long-term motels and shelters. However, minimum wage jobs, without health insurance and other benefits, are the only jobs available to millions of Americans with basic education.

http://tinyurl.com/dypxn
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2005, 04:41:00 PM »
On 2005-10-11 21:54:00, webcrawler wrote:

" Poverty Growing And Is Undercounted As Well

(?US Poverty: Chronic Ill, Little Hope For Cure,? boston.com, October 5, 2005)

Since 2000, the number of poor people in the U.S. has grown every year, and by almost 5.5 million in total. The shocking New Orleans pictures of poor black people begging for help prompted comparisons with conditions in developing countries from Somalia and Angola to Bangladesh. The percentage of African-Americans living in poverty is 24.7 percent, a percentage almost twice as high as the overall rate for all races (12.7 percent). But in America, there are also three times as many poor whites as blacks, and the poverty rate for whites has risen faster than that for blacks and Hispanics. "Every August, we Americans tell ourselves a lie," says David Brady, a Duke University professor, referring to the time when the U.S. Census Bureau releases annual poverty figures. "Taking everything into account, the real [poverty] rate is around 18 percent, or 48 million people. Poverty in the United States is more widespread, by far, than in any other industrialized country." Many of the American poor are ?working poor? whose wages are not enough to keep them above the poverty line and tens of thousands of whom are forced to sleep in cars, trailers, long-term motels and shelters. However, minimum wage jobs, without health insurance and other benefits, are the only jobs available to millions of Americans with basic education.

The working poor now were also once the middle and upper-middle classes that have had their jobs outsourced for cheap labor.  

I don't have a lot of time here, but I'm pretty tired of hearing about the "lazy people" (read: those in poverty) when we all know someone who was making a damned good living as little as two years ago.

I'm not talking about your post, btw - it was just a thought I had today while listening to a fundy customer bitch about the state of the world while I held my tongue.   :flame:
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2005, 04:52:00 PM »
However, minimum wage jobs, without health insurance and other benefits, are the only jobs available to millions of Americans with basic education.

"

Which is why it makes sense to deal dope, whether it's weed, crack, or smack.  Work a minimum-wage job at McD's?  Puh-leaze.  That don't pay the bills.  Selling drugs does.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2005, 07:26:00 PM »
On 2005-10-12 13:52:00, Anonymous wrote:

"hich is why it makes sense to deal dope, whether it's weed, crack, or smack.  Work a minimum-wage job at McD's?  Puh-leaze.  That don't pay the bills.  Selling drugs does."

Couldn't agree more.  IN order to make it in this 'system' you got to break the rules.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2005, 09:02:00 PM »
"

On 2005-10-11 21:54:00, webcrawler wrote:

However, minimum wage jobs, without health insurance and other benefits, are the only jobs available to millions of Americans with basic education.

My first thought was that there aren't many decent jobs available regardless of people's level of education. They're just not there.

I honestly believe that the people of this commonwealth, or more likely the region regardless of political boundaries, could significantly reduce homelessness and poverty while improving other important issues in one major move if we had the will to do it. All we have to do is smarten up enough to ignore the laws that currently make it impractical to switch over to agricultural fuel sources.

That would put farmers and their land to work, draw labor out of the cities, draw investment for the processing plants, create local fuel independence AND recession-proof export products.

History gives us a kind of chart, and we dare not surrender even a small rushlight in the darkness. The hasty reformer who does not remember the past will find himself condemned to repeat it.
--John Buchan

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2005, 11:34:00 PM »
What laws, please.

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2005, 03:28:00 PM »

Your tinyurl isn't working, WC.

I have strange thoughts on a day off when the house is clean and Red Tide is in full bloom... . I wonder how many Ed-Cons (or ex-EdCons) are struggling with poverty or homeless.   :???:

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2005, 04:05:00 PM »
Don't know why the link stopped working :sad: Was trying to save space.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washi ... 92?mode=PF

US poverty: chronic ill, little hope for cure
By Bernd Debusmann  |  October 5, 2005

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Four decades after a U.S. president declared war on poverty, more than 37 million people in the world's richest country are officially classified as poor and their number has been on the rise for years.

Last year, according to government statistics, 1.1 million Americans fell below the poverty line. That equals the entire population of a major city like Dallas or Prague.

Since 2000, the ranks of the poor have increased year by year by almost 5.5 million in total. Even optimists see little prospect that the number will shrink soon despite a renewed debate on poverty prompted by searing television images which laid bare a fact of American life rarely exposed to global view.

The president who made the war declaration was Lyndon Johnson. "Unfortunately, many Americans live on the outskirts of hope, some because of their poverty, and some because of their color, and all too many because of both. This administration declares unconditional war on poverty in America."

That was in 1964. Then 19 percent of the U.S. population lived below the official poverty line. That rate declined over the next four years and in 1968, it stood at 12.8 percent.

Since then, it has fluctuated little. Last year, it was at 12.7 percent, proof that poverty is a chronic problem.

The state of poverty in the United States is measured once a year by the Census Bureau, whose statistics-packed 70-plus page report usually provides fodder for academic studies but rarely sparks wide public debate, touches emotional buttons, or features on television. Not so in 2005.

The report coincided with Katrina, a devastating hurricane which killed more than 1,100 in Louisiana and Mississippi. Live television coverage with shocking images of the desperate and the dead in New Orleans showed in brutal close-up what the spreadsheets of the census bureau cannot convey.

SCENES SHOCKED WORLD, SHAMED AMERICANS

The images shocked the world, shamed many Americans and prompted comparisons with conditions in developing countries from Somalia and Angola to Bangladesh. The pictures from New Orleans showed poor black people begging for help. Most of the rescuers, when they finally arrived, were white.

The percentage of black Americans living in poverty is 24.7, almost twice as high as the overall rate for all races.

In predominantly black New Orleans, that disparity translated into those with cars and money, almost all white, fleeing the flood while more than 100,000 car-less blacks were trapped in the flooded city.

Some commentators wondered whether the crisis showed that political segregation, America's version of apartheid which formally ended with the 1964 Civil Rights Act, had merely been replaced by economic segregation. Poor black Americans in one part of a city, affluent whites in the other.

A host of other American cities have such divides, including Newark, Philadelphia, Detroit, Atlanta, Baltimore, St. Louis, Oakland, Miami and the U.S. capital itself. It is a 10-minute drive from the White House to the heart of Anacostia, the city's poorest neighborhood, but they could be in different worlds.

But the black-equals-poor scenes from New Orleans do not portray the full picture. There are three times as many poor whites as blacks in the United States and the poverty rate for whites has risen faster than that for blacks and Hispanics.

Academic experts also say the government's figures minimize the true scale of poverty because they are outdated. The formula for the poverty level was set in 1963 on the assumption that one third of the average family's budget was spent on food.

This is no longer true. Housing has become the largest single expense and tens of thousands of the "working poor," the label for those who work at or near the minimum wage, are forced to sleep in cars, trailers, long-term motels or shelters.

U.S. POVERTY WORST IN INDUSTRIALISED WORLD

"Every August, we Americans tell ourselves a lie," said David Brady, a Duke University professor who studies poverty.

"The poverty rate was designed to undercount because the government wanted to show progress in the war on poverty.

"Taking everything into account, the real rate is around 18 percent, or 48 million people. Poverty in the United States is more widespread, by far, than in any other industrialized country."

Poverty is a universal problem, as is inequality. The world's 500 richest people, according to U.N. statistics, have as much income as the world's poorest 416 million.

The post-hurricane poverty scenes were so remarkable for most of the world because of the perception of the United States as the rich land of unlimited opportunity.

No other country spends so much money -- billions of dollars -- to keep job-hungry foreigners out; no other country has an annual lottery in which millions of people play for 50,000 permanent resident "green cards," no other country has as many legal and illegal immigrants, all drawn by dreams of prosperity.

For many Americans they remain just that: dreams. While there are arguments over how poverty is measured -- conservatives say the census overstates it because it does not take into account food stamps and other subsidies -- there is consensus on one thing.

The minimum wage, which rose by 15 cents to $6.35 an hour on October 1, is not enough to keep you above the poverty line. Yet minimum wage jobs, without health insurance or vacations, are the only jobs available to millions of people with only basic education.

The well-paid unskilled jobs in heavy industry which once lifted working-class Americans into the middle class are largely gone and the decline continues. Since 2001, the United States has lost more than 2.7 million manufacturing jobs. Low-paid clerical work is being outsourced to developing countries.

Another U.S. president, the late Ronald Reagan, had it right when he said, in 1988: "The federal government declared war on poverty, and poverty won."

© Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2005, 12:52:00 AM »
On 2005-10-01 14:18:00, Helena Handbasket

An excellent description that covers it all.  Maybe people whose armchair fix for homelessness is that they "Get a job" should read it.

I moved to SW Florida after the hurricanes redecorated the area, and I'm still amazed at how the housing prices have damned near TRIPLED while people are still living in FEMA parks.  How do they have a chance in hell of rebuilding?

I also heard another nugget the other day:  A customer of mine asked me to excuse his living room because his housekeeper was forced to cut her hours.  Apparently, those still living in the FEMA trailers are only allowed to work under 30 hours a week, even though they don't have homes to go to.

Now you gotta think - what does a housekeeper make? Maybe 10 bucks an hour if they work with an agency (as this girl does).  That grosses what... 300 a week, 1200 a month.  The average RENTAL in this area is $1000.  You can get something really scuzzy for $800.

Yet, there are people actually BITCHING that people in the FEMA parks are still "sponging off the government".  

Yeah, there are people out there that won't do shit for themselves, and make shitty decisions and wind up homeless.  But when someone wants to make a change, and find themselves limited on what they can do, how does that help the problem?

And I can only go by what I know - which is what I've described.  But I'm also told that in other areas of the country, the homeless problem is compounded by outlandish housing prices, but the programs that are supposed to help people get into homes severely limit them in income.

Habitat for Humanity is a great idea - however, you don't qualify unless you have children.  So what is one to do if they don't?  What about the people that are physically or mentally unable to work?  What about the 55-plusser who simply isn't hirable?

Ah, the list goes on.  But this problem has been around for decades, and it's only getting worse, and I don't believe that the average homeless person wants to be homeless.
"

I was catching up on some reading tonight before bed and came across an article regarding a FEMA trailer park in Punta Gorda, FLA. The residents have to be out by February and it didn't seem there was much hope beyond the trailer park. Apparently many of the residents of the park were living in public housing which has since been demolished to make way for luxury condos. Gentrification at it's "finest" I suppose.

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2005, 04:14:00 AM »
On 2005-10-13 21:52:00, webcrawler wrote:

"

On 2005-10-01 14:18:00, Helena Handbasket

An excellent description that covers it all.  Maybe people whose armchair fix for homelessness is that they "Get a job" should read it.

I moved to SW Florida after the hurricanes redecorated the area, and I'm still amazed at how the housing prices have damned near TRIPLED while people are still living in FEMA parks.  How do they have a chance in hell of rebuilding?

I also heard another nugget the other day:  A customer of mine asked me to excuse his living room because his housekeeper was forced to cut her hours.  Apparently, those still living in the FEMA trailers are only allowed to work under 30 hours a week, even though they don't have homes to go to.

Now you gotta think - what does a housekeeper make? Maybe 10 bucks an hour if they work with an agency (as this girl does).  That grosses what... 300 a week, 1200 a month.  The average RENTAL in this area is $1000.  You can get something really scuzzy for $800.

Yet, there are people actually BITCHING that people in the FEMA parks are still "sponging off the government".  

Yeah, there are people out there that won't do shit for themselves, and make shitty decisions and wind up homeless.  But when someone wants to make a change, and find themselves limited on what they can do, how does that help the problem?

And I can only go by what I know - which is what I've described.  But I'm also told that in other areas of the country, the homeless problem is compounded by outlandish housing prices, but the programs that are supposed to help people get into homes severely limit them in income.

Habitat for Humanity is a great idea - however, you don't qualify unless you have children.  So what is one to do if they don't?  What about the people that are physically or mentally unable to work?  What about the 55-plusser who simply isn't hirable?

Ah, the list goes on.  But this problem has been around for decades, and it's only getting worse, and I don't believe that the average homeless person wants to be homeless.

"

I was catching up on some reading tonight before bed and came across an article regarding a FEMA trailer park in Punta Gorda, FLA. The residents have to be out by February and it didn't seem there was much hope beyond the trailer park. Apparently many of the residents of the park were living in public housing which has since been demolished to make way for luxury condos. Gentrification at it's "finest" I suppose.

"

Not sure about that, but it sounds about par for this course.  I do know that a lot of regular apartment buildings are still sitting there untouched after the storm.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2005, 09:00:00 AM »
They should march to the whitehouse in masse and camp out on the lawn.
Organization would be a problem, as they spread them out in multiple states.
What will happen when their time is up and they have no home to return to?

• View Profile
Why Are People Homeless
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2005, 09:15:00 AM »
On 2005-10-14 06:00:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

They should march to the whitehouse in masse and camp out on the lawn.

Organization would be a problem, as they spread them out in multiple states.

What will happen when their time is up and they have no home to return to?"

Security would be a problem too - it's probably considered George Bush's private property these days as well.

As far as the FEMA Parks go, that's a good question - and it's dropped off the media radar here.  Like WC said - they were due out in February, but they've extended the stay, but I don't know for how long.  I'll see what I can find out.