Author Topic: Dear Art,  (Read 29620 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Dear Art,
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2005, 04:43:00 PM »
cult. But it's not necessarily a bad thing so long as involvement is voluntary and, as I say, mutually beneficial and equitable.
"

Yep, exactly.  However, the more coercisiveness in the relationship, the less equitable it is.

The early seed, bringing us back to our common denominator, was way wacked out on this scale.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Dear Art,
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2005, 08:04:00 PM »
On 2005-10-08 12:02:00, Antigen wrote:

"No, cops too. They're getting more ganglike every day. Especially where you live, Greg.

I really don't agree.

There are abuses for sure, but no where do I see cops approaching cult status.

There are criminals that are cops, but a "cult" of policement just does not exist, in my opinion.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Dear Art,
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2005, 09:54:00 PM »
oops! that was me forgot to login

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Dear Art,
« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2005, 12:19:00 PM »
Well, then how do you explain their sustained dedication to the drug war? I'm searious. I've read a number of times from various high ranking and rank-n-file cops that they cannot speak frankly on the subject while on the force. There would be various kinds of retribution.

That's why there aren't any active duty officers in LEAP, only retired ones.

This I believe: That the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: The freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: Any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual.
--John Steinbeck, American novelist

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Jupiter Survivor

• View Profile
Dear Art,
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2005, 01:12:00 PM »
Greg,

Thought you might like this link.

http://www.whyaretheydead.net/

If you get me started on Tom Cruise........I think I will need a valium drip.  I just loved the interview he said he knew ALL about psychiatry and it was all make believe.....arrrgghhhhh
Guess he got his PHd where Art received his???

Nance

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Dear Art,
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2005, 01:24:00 PM »
I am aquainted with the Lisa Mcpherson case but never saw that link before.

Thanks!

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
Dear Art,
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2005, 05:18:00 PM »
I really don't find that humorous Jupiter.
I was there in 1972 when he got his honorary doctorate from Ft. Lauderdale Univ. along with a few others also receiving honorary docs in different categories. Yes he was in cap & gown.

Offline Jupiter Survivor

• View Profile
Dear Art,
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2005, 06:00:00 PM »
" I really don't find that humorous Jupiter.
I was there in 1972 when he got his honorary doctorate from Ft. Lauderdale Univ. along with a few others also receiving honorary docs in different categories. Yes he was in cap & gown. "

You're joking, right?  You realize it's not a REAL doctorate Ft.Lauderdale, don't you?  Art's so called diploma is nothing more then Monopoly money.  
I thought comparing Tom's expertise in psychiatry and  Art's in drug rehabilitation is a pretty accurate.

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
Dear Art,
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2005, 07:10:00 PM »
Can you read.  Accept it it happened.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Dear Art,
« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2005, 07:43:00 PM »
testy testy!

Offline marshall

• View Profile
Dear Art,
« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2005, 08:02:00 PM »
Lauderdale, I think you're missing Jupiter's point. An "Honorary" doctorate is absolutely nothing like a real doctorate. Jupiter isn't denying that Art received an honorary doctorate. She's merely saying this is as meaningless from an academic / scholarly standpoint as Mr Cruise's claim to be an expert in psychiatry. If you doubt this simply research the topic yourself.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

"An Honorary Degree (Latin: honoris causa ad gradum) is an extra-ordinary academic degree awarded to an individual as a decoration, rather than as the result of matriculating and studying for several years. An honorary degree may be conferred by an institution that the recipient never attended. The degree itself may be a bachelor's, master's or doctorate degree ? the latter being by far the most common. Usually the degree is conferred with great pomp and ceremony as a way of honoring a famous or distinguished visitor."

from this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorary_degree
Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. You must climb towards the Truth. It cannot be \'stepped down\'

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Dear Art,
« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2005, 08:21:00 PM »
On 2005-10-09 14:18:00, Ft. Lauderdale wrote:

"I really don't find that humorous Jupiter.

Keep on coming. You'll get it  :rofl:

The line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060007761/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Dear Art,
« Reply #192 on: October 09, 2005, 09:12:00 PM »
On 2005-10-09 17:02:00, marshall wrote:

Lauderdale, I think you're missing Jupiter's point. An "Honorary" doctorate is absolutely nothing like a real doctorate. Jupiter isn't denying that Art received an honorary doctorate. She's merely saying this is as meaningless from an academic / scholarly standpoint as Mr Cruise's claim to be an expert in psychiatry. If you doubt this simply research the topic yourself.

Yeah, not only that, but...

I've kept mum on this because 1) I was only a little kid at the time, and this particular detail didn't really rate permanent memory comital status in my childish mind at the time. Lauderdale, you have a point there, though it doesn't cover anywhere near the teritory you seem to think it does. But I have taken that into more serious consideration since you started harping on the point. 2) I just wanted to see what the adults had to say before influencing the discussion too much.

But that's how I remember it. It was a compliment, good for bragging rights, not ever described as equivalent to an honest to God academic doctorate.

Lauderdale (et al) I think your truculent
response to this really pretty objective statement of fact is either a knee-jerk response to any perceived criticism of your guru or evidence that the story changed over the years.

Which is it?

Religions are all alike; founded upon fables and mythologies.
--Thomas Jefferson, U.S. President, author, scientist, architect, educator, and diplomat

Offline marshall

• View Profile
Dear Art,
« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2005, 10:49:00 PM »
Ginger, I watched some interesting shows on the History channel this past week that you might enjoy. They've been doing a whole series on drugs. Last night's episode was on Ecstasy and LSD. I was finally able to see and hear that Bobby Dupont guy you mention here. They interviewed him for the piece. The History channel is usually pretty good at giving both sides of any controversy and they did well here too. The show interviewed several people that suggested that the drug war was really declared against the youth culture movement / new left rather than just drug use. J. Edgar Hoover suggested to Nixon that a good way to undermine the anti-war movement was to concentrate on arresting as many as possible for drug violations. I got a good sense of how the anti-drug panic of the times could have easily spawned programs like the Seed. Your description of it as a culture rehab rather than a drug rehab was right on the mark, imo.

They also interviewed the head of Narconon who claimed that a single dose of LSD ruined his life (he was a math major) and caused him to become a 'barefoot hippie dropout'. (I'm not sure how he accounts for folks like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs though. I've read that both imbibed acid heavily in college.) Others had several negative things to say about the drug war in general. These were respected officials, not junkies. History channel often replays these sort of programs so if you haven't already seen them you might still be able to catch them.

BTW, I tried again yesterday to find that Meadowsweet herb you mentioned. No health food store around here seems to have heard of it.
Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. You must climb towards the Truth. It cannot be \'stepped down\'

Offline Jupiter Survivor

• View Profile
Dear Art,
« Reply #194 on: October 10, 2005, 06:14:00 AM »
A little off topic, but I knew a guy years back on the Palm Beach County Sheriffs office.  He told me that if law enforcement really wanted to get rid of drugs coming through Florida, it would be fairly easy.  A few military planes patrolling the coasts and in a year it would knock out about 90%.  Now mind you this was in the 70's. Drug runners were not quite as clever as they are today. He was told that would never happen. Guess putting bandaids on problems was all they wanted to do.
I lived in Jupiter and it was routine to hear planes flying low at night. I had more than a few people I went to school with that found missed drops. My little brother even found some floating out off the Hobe Sound area.