Author Topic: Bipolar Meds  (Read 17424 times)

Offline providence

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2005, 03:30:00 PM »
Everything made the boys horny at CEDU. Enter desert island syndrome.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2005, 05:50:00 PM »
I know Depakote and Verapamil are also prescribed.  Even fish oil.

Well I'm not a doctor either, but I was studying to be one.

Depakote is a seizure med, and Verapamil is used to treat cardiac arrythmia.  What the FUCK does this have to do with bipolar disorder?

Oh, I guess that falls under the Snake Oil... oh sorry, FISH oil prescription.  
 :roll:
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2005, 07:05:00 PM »
On 2005-10-30 14:50:00, Helena Handbasket wrote:

"

Depakote is a seizure med, and Verapamil is used to treat cardiac arrythmia.  What the FUCK does this have to do with bipolar disorder?

"

Quick google search will find numerous references to these 2 meds.  Both are well documented for the treatment of bipolar disorder.

So it would seem they would have quite a bit to do with bipolar disorder......not snake (or fish) oil at all.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2005, 07:08:00 PM »
Looks like Helena should stay where she belongs.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2005, 09:39:00 PM »
No, actually the top researchers are finding great success with mega doses of fish oil in stabilizing mild to moderate mood disorders. This is very well documented.  Depakote is an anti convulsant (my brother took it for epilepsy) but seems to have some success with bipolar II. Same with verapmil.  It's all neurological so it isn't surprising that the drugs are cross referenced.

Offline dniceo7

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2005, 09:51:00 PM »

"

"

Good thing that first year of studying got you. I'd feel pretty bad for whatever patients you had.
I don\'t look at myself in the mirror because I\'m a narcissist, I simply like to watch myself exist...

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2005, 03:25:00 AM »
On 2005-10-30 16:05:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

"

Quick google search will find numerous references to these 2 meds.  Both are well documented for the treatment of bipolar disorder.

So it would seem they would have quite a bit to do with bipolar disorder......not snake (or fish) oil at all.

"

Yes, depakote is used as a mood stabilizer for bipolar disorder. It is one of the old standards which make up the "big three" in terms of mood stabilizers: depakote, lithium, and tegretol (or its newer version, trileptal.)

Both depakote and tegretol/trileptal are anti-convulscents, as anti-convulscents have been proven to be very effective in treating bipolar disorder. There are actually several other anti-convulscents out there which are also used to treat people with bipolar disorder, such as Lamictal.

And also, the people who were talking about fish oil are correct. That has been proven to have some effecacy in helping bipolar symptoms, if you can get past the fishy-burps that comes with taking them. (Some brands are better than others at not being "fishy", and keeping their stock fresh enough so that it doesn't spoil and get rank.)

My psychiatrist actually recommended fish oil to me, and suggested a particular brand of omega 3s to try to help curb the bipolar symptoms in conjunction with my medication. So for those who think that shrinks are all about drugging their patients and aren't into alternative therapies, that's not always the case. I tried the fish oil for a while, but I think I got a stinky or old batch, because I still burped up fish-stink. (Which was odd, because I got a very good brand.) I eventually had to stop, because I had GI problems with reflux, and fish oil certainly didn't help that. Also, one of the other medications I was on started to make my face an oil factory and I was breaking out, so the last thing I needed was to be taking a product that was made entirely of oil.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2005, 07:26:00 AM »
I remember trying tegretol once. Every time I moved the room would spin violently. After three days of that I had to stop.

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2005, 08:08:00 AM »
Excuse me... did launch a personal attack against you Dinceo and Anon?  I asked a simple question. Maybe if you didn't have your narrow mind tucked so far up your ass, you'd know this. ::fuckoff::

To those that gave me the updated information, I appreciate it.

As far as the Fish Oil and mood stabilization, I'd have to see the science on that before I believe it.   [ This Message was edited by: Helena Handbasket on 2005-10-31 05:11 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2005, 10:26:00 AM »
On 2005-10-31 05:08:00, Helena Handbasket wrote:

"Excuse me... did launch a personal attack against you Dinceo and Anon?  I asked a simple question. Maybe if you didn't have your narrow mind tucked so far up your ass, you'd know this. ::fuckoff::

As far as the Fish Oil and mood stabilization, I'd have to see the science on that before I believe it.   [ This Message was edited by: Helena Handbasket on 2005-10-31 05:11 ]"

Excuse, but you didn't just "ask a simple question".  Your post indicated that these drugs were not for bipolar disorder and was stated in such a way as to discredit their use in the treatment of BPD.  For you to say you were simply asking a question is rather disingenuous.

The science is out there.  Go do the research.

Offline dniceo7

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2005, 11:15:00 AM »
On 2005-10-31 05:08:00, Helena Handbasket wrote:

"Excuse me... did launch a personal attack against you Dinceo and Anon?  I asked a simple question. Maybe if you didn't have your narrow mind tucked so far up your ass, you'd know this. ::fuckoff::

As far as the Fish Oil and mood stabilization, I'd have to see the science on that before I believe it.   [ This Message was edited by: Helena Handbasket on 2005-10-31 05:11 ]"

Whoa whoa girl, easy. I wasn't trying to launch any personal attack. I guess the anon might've been trying that, but then that's why he/she's anonymous. I was just fuckin' with ya. Didn't think you'd take something you left behind so personally. Relaaaax.
I don\'t look at myself in the mirror because I\'m a narcissist, I simply like to watch myself exist...

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2005, 11:18:00 AM »
Excuse, but you didn't just "ask a simple question".  Your post indicated that these drugs were not for bipolar disorder and was stated in such a way as to discredit their use in the treatment of BPD.  For you to say you were simply asking a question is rather disingenuous.

The science is out there.  Go do the research.

"

My apolgies for being in a bad mood. However, I was not incorrect by stating what those drugs are most commonly used for, and at the time I was studying neuropsych, those therapies were considered "experimental" (I got the book right here) so we did not study them.  Ok?

I probably shouldn't have had a knee-jerk reaction like that - but I've seen a lot of alternative uses of meds and other stuff that was either dangerous or just didn't work or caused worse problems.  That's all.

Offline dniceo7

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2005, 11:34:00 AM »
It's all good.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2005, 09:36:00 PM »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2005, 10:35:00 PM »
Anon, one question I just have to ask. During all that time when you were eating rancid, encapsulated, extracted fish oil, did it ever occure to you to just eat more fish, maybe take up fishing as a hobby?

Just wondering. I keep reading about drug therapies that point to proof of diatary imbalance as an underlying cause of mental problems. We all know what happens to a kid on too much sugar or a diabetic in insuline shock. And I hear accute starvation has the same sort of mind numbing effect. I wonder if most of it, including many people who do well on the drugs, might be addressed more effectively and more safely w/ just a good old fashioned, balanced diet.

Look into old traditions. They'll tell you a lot. In the NE, there's a spring greens tradition. Each spring when the dandilions and other early greens come up, it's tradition to take a day off to harvest them, eat them raw, cook them, make tea and just generally revel in the early greens.

Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard was not what I meant.

---Richard Nixon

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes