Author Topic: Bipolar Meds  (Read 17343 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 06:44:00 PM »
for sleep
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 09:43:00 PM »
Ok I mean sleeping pills are sleeping pills. When your "bedtime" is 9:30 at night, of course people are gonna need sleeping pills.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 10:24:00 PM »
On 2005-10-28 15:44:00, Anonymous wrote:

"for sleep"

Trazadone is actually an anti-depressant. But it also helps with sleep, and is used a lot because it's non-addictive unlike a lot of sleep aids out there. I used to take it years ago. It knocks you on your ass, and I was an adult. I can't imagine what it must do to a teenage brain. That kid must have been a zombie.

So, Dr. Ulrich would just start kids out on several meds at once? That's unusual. Normally, a doctor will start someone out on one med, and if they are still having problems after the med becomes effective and is in their system regularly, (which could take weeks or months) they will alter the dose. Then, if that doesn't help, they would consider either changing the med, or if the med is helping but not as much as it could be, they would introduce an additional, supplemental medication. This is why it can often take years for psych meds to be adjusted properly. And the scenario I am talking about here is for adults. With teenagers, I would think that one would have to tread even lighter and be even more careful, because the teenage brain is very different physiologically from the adult one.

And if someone is diagnosed as bipolar, they shouldn't be on any antidepressants at all. They should only be on mood stabilizers. Antidepressants can actually exacerbate the instability. They can work in the short term, but they will tend to lose their effecacy after about a year or so, and the person will "crash" (oftentimes becoming even more depressed). If that kid was diagnosed as bipolar, he shouldn't have been on zoloft or trazadone at all.

More importantly, I just don't think that RMA was a conducive environment to have any sort of effective psychiatric practices take place. The predominant ideology there is almost in conflict with the idea of psychiatric medicine, so I was surprised when I heard that they began medical treatment there. (Like there was anyone within the CEDU system who was knowledgable enough to be able to choose competent psychiatric staff and know how to monitor them effectively to begin with, you know?) I mean, who did Dr. Ulrich report to? Who was his superior who made sure he was practicing safe medicine? It obviously wasn't another psychiatrist, because I was told he was the only one there. So, what, another CEDU staff was? Like they would know? You can't just have a school and then "tack-on" psychiatric treatment, almost as an afterthought, to attract a wider audience of customers. In my opinion, a school has to be built from the ground up with a solid understanding of psychiatric principles and it has to be a part of their foundation, with a large psychiatric staff on hand, so that there is more than one doctor's opinion available. The way RMA did it was almost in a slapdash sort of way.

Offline absolutebest

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2005, 01:00:00 AM »
Tegretol and prozac and something else was what I was on.  They should of called it the "zombie mix" because I was basically falling asleep all the fucking time.  I was fine when I was just on tegretol, but for awhile they way they had overmedicated me was ridiculous.  I was like the walking dead.  Couldn't keep my eyes open in raps.

If you think the anti-depressants put weight on people, what about all that fatty bread they served.  I can't put weight on if my life depended on it, but most people plumped up very quickly after arriving at RMA.  Especially girls.  That's why every time a hot new girl arrived guys would just go ballistic.
dam Best RMA 1994-96 (PG61)

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2005, 10:09:00 AM »
Try Another Castle: Your last post was bull's eye. I wish more people understood the complexity of finding the right dose/mix etc.

Unfortunately,CEDU not only incorporated pseudo therapeutic tools of questionable repute on minors, but also slapdash medical practices as well.  A former staff member said that CEDU introduced therapists and psychiatrists because they HAD to. They did it for compliance reasons only. All of the former therapists who posted here said their warnings were ignored and they were basically there for CEDU to "look good."  Then you have shrinks like ULrich who overmedicated many which also kept people nice and compliant.  

Sometimes I think this is reflective of socity in general.  There are so many over medicated kids for ADD or mood disorders that are simply related to boredom, diet, or normal teen hormonal angst.  People think it's easier to give their kids a pill rather than ride the coaster and think of creative ways to deal with their problems.  

When I was observing teachers last year I was actually impressed with how most kids kept up considering how difficult it is to stay in your seat and listen to monotony all day every day. The kids who acted up out of restlessness... well, I could appreciate why.  But those are the ones who will be drugged. Do you know how many teachers would make remarks like "this kid definitely has ADD..." and I would think "no, you are just spectacularly boring."
hanlea

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2005, 10:10:00 AM »
I remember when I went to CEDU I gained 15 pounds on all that crap they served, but I was in better shape because of all the labor. I just remember being in a rap and the family head screaming at me for giving everyone a boner with my too tight pants.  Which was only because I couldn't fit into anything!!
hanlea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2005, 11:41:00 AM »
On 2005-10-28 15:44:00, Anonymous wrote:

"for sleep"

Trazadone is an anti-depressant, but I
think it is not too effective for that
purpose.

It is definately a sleeper though!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2005, 11:42:00 AM »
Is an older Tricyclic that is a sleeper too!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »
On 2005-10-29 07:09:00, shanlea wrote:

The kids who acted up out of restlessness... well, I could appreciate why.  But those are the ones who will be drugged. Do you know how many teachers would make remarks like "this kid definitely has ADD..." and I would think "no, you are just spectacularly boring."

"

Too bad schools didn't have some wood to split or
something brief and active to try, instead of a
quick off the cuff diagnosis.

"If you can't control yourself you can go split wood for 30 minutes"

Would be more refreshing than:

"You are definately ADD go to the nurse"

Hopefully more effective ... :question:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2005, 12:54:00 PM »
On 2005-10-29 08:46:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-10-29 07:09:00, shanlea wrote:

The kids who acted up out of restlessness... well, I could appreciate why.  But those are the ones who will be drugged. Do you know how many teachers would make remarks like "this kid definitely has ADD..." and I would think "no, you are just spectacularly boring."

"

Too bad schools didn't have some wood to split or

something brief and active to try, instead of a

quick off the cuff diagnosis.

"If you can't control yourself you can go split wood for 30 minutes"

Would be more refreshing than:

"You are definately ADD go to the nurse"

Hopefully more effective ... :question: "

Wait are you kidding? Too bad they didn't have some wood to cut? That had to be a joke, right? Behind only whacking off and getting yelled at in raps, I spent most of my time at BCA sawing and splitting wood...

Offline dniceo7

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2005, 01:15:00 PM »
On 2005-10-28 22:00:00, absolutebest wrote:

"Tegretol and prozac and something else was what I was on.  They should of called it the "zombie mix" because I was basically falling asleep all the fucking time.  I was fine when I was just on tegretol, but for awhile they way they had overmedicated me was ridiculous.  I was like the walking dead.  Couldn't keep my eyes open in raps.

If you think the anti-depressants put weight on people, what about all that fatty bread they served.  I can't put weight on if my life depended on it, but most people plumped up very quickly after arriving at RMA.  Especially girls.  That's why every time a hot new girl arrived guys would just go ballistic. "

I remember a ton of kids who literally looked like zombies. They'd be falling asleep in raps all the time, they'd be asleep in a chair or on a couch at night, and then looked the worst stumbling back from all the work assignments staff put them on for being tired all the time. Those kids were taking a lot of pills. I was standing there talking to my main man Gregg Andrick one night while he was running the med line, and this one kid steps up and palms 8 different pills. Now six of those were just double doses of the same thing, but five separate medications? The kid was in rough shape. And he stayed like that until his parents finally pulled him after about 18 months.
I don\'t look at myself in the mirror because I\'m a narcissist, I simply like to watch myself exist...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2005, 03:41:00 PM »

On 2005-10-29 08:46:00, Anonymous wrote:

Wait are you kidding? Too bad they didn't have some wood to cut? That had to be a joke, right? Behind only whacking off and getting yelled at in raps, I spent most of my time at BCA sawing and splitting wood..."

Good catch! I was referring to the millions being
diagnosed in schools accross the country. I was not clear. Sorry about that.

Well, did you have ADD, and did the wood splitting
settle you down while at BCA? How about post BCA?

Offline dniceo7

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2005, 06:14:00 PM »
Eh, people have told me I probably have ADD, but I never bothered to get diagnosed. So I couldn't tell you if it helped that specifically, but it was definitely a pretty soothing activity. If I got a workie or was on a full time, I'd always want to maul (sp?). Sawing could be frustrating, but mauling just got the rage out. Good way to clear the mind. They even gave you that chainsaw helmet that was almost completely soundproof. You didn't have to listen to any of the little whiners around you bitching about their workie.

You were responding to my post by the way, I just forgot to log in.  [ This Message was edited by: dniceo7 on 2005-10-29 15:15 ]
I don\'t look at myself in the mirror because I\'m a narcissist, I simply like to watch myself exist...

Offline banana rama

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2005, 03:08:00 PM »
at the time i was really struggling with my eating habits.  the possiblity of gaining weight from the meds and the food really set me off.  so, i never got reamed for turning anyone on.  back then i was very awkward and to turn any of the boys on in those clothes...you had to be very curvy.

i saw what they did to this girl for having the misfortune of having large breasts, the tears rolling down her face because the staff though it was her fault that she made the boys horny.

i was completely fried from the medication and for over two years i woke up drooling on my pillow.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bipolar Meds
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2005, 03:22:00 PM »
Those wool pants everyone had to rock at Ascent--girls with thick asses looked so hot in those. But yeah, girls who didn't have the right figure looked awfully goofy in wranglers and wool pants.