Author Topic: Anchor Academy for Boys in Havre, Montana.  (Read 51642 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Anchor Academy for Boys in Havre, Montana.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2005, 03:55:00 PM »
On the plains of Northern Montana, a place where many describe as ?the middle of nowhere,? stands an academy for rebellious teenage boys called the Anchor Academy.  The landscape is truly striking at first sight.  Vast, open, and remote, the scenery supports Montana?s nickname ?Big Sky Country?.  In the wintertime the temperature can drop to ?30 creating what looks like an enchanted wonderland of snow, frosted tress, icicles, and unbearably cold air.

The Anchor Academy began accepting young men in trouble, between the ages of 13-17, back in 1999.   They have the capacity to keep fifty boys at a time and usually run full.  The adolescents seem to struggle with every problem on earth, but by the time they leave the academy they are respectful, hardworking, and significantly different young men.  

Sturdy buildings, once inhabited by military personnel manning a USAF Radar Base, dot the property owned by the Anchor Academy.  From the outside these edifices show the wear of time and duty.  On the inside, most of the buildings have been remodeled into a comfortable living environment.  The facilities do not transmit an institutional feel but rather a family atmosphere with traces of personal touch everywhere.

The boy?s dormitory is a big open room with bunks uniformly arranged along the outside wall.  The beds are all made inspection ready tight reminding one of a military barracks, except for an occasional stuffed animal neatly perched atop the blanket.  In the middle of the room is a large open area where the students can lounge on comfortable couches.  Against one wall is a large oak hutch displaying dozens of books, board games, and pictures of days gone by.          

The Academy?s academic and living programs are highly structure, as one would expect, focusing on spiritual growth, academics, and character building.  There are no guards, barbed-wire fences, or security cameras.  The young men are simply given a level of trust and expected to function responsibly as a member of a team.  

?We take students from all types of backgrounds? says Dennis McElwrath the director of the academy a red haired man in his late twenties with a medium build and hazel green eyes.   ?Some of the young men come to us in trouble with the law, and using drugs, others are just extremely defiant toward authority.  Either way, their parents are usually at their wits end when they turn to us for help.?

A first glance the students do not look like they are former troublemakers.  Everyone?s hair is short and neatly parted to either the left or the right.  Their shirts are usually tucked in and when they speak to an adult they will invariably address them as ?sir? or ?ma?am?.

?When we go places we get all kinds of complements,? declares Brandon, a stocky sixteen year old from Louisiana.  ?People notice us because the way we are dressed and the way we talk.  Most teenagers these days don?t show any respect.?  

When Brandon first came to the Anchor he looked like a full-fledged gang member and even had the attitude to go along with it.  ?I always knew I was missing something and tried to fill the void with drugs, rap music, and the wrong friends.  I was constantly getting into trouble and my parents and the judges were getting sick and tired of seeing my face in court.?

?My parents tried everything until they heard about the Anchor.  When I first got here my heart was hard as a rock but one month later during a Sunday night service I felt a heavy conviction because of my sin.  I broke down in tears and cried out to God to save me.  I?ll never forget that night as long as I live,? Brandon says with a convincing smile.

The Anchor Academy believes that the Bible is the instruction manual for solving life?s problems.  The boys attend chapel services, memorize Scripture, and often sing at area churches and community events.  The church services center on enthusiastic congregational singing and preaching.  Visiting parents and area residents often participate.

?We stand strong on the biblical values this country was founded upon and we make no apologies for it!? says Dennis McElwrath.  ?So many of these young men were searching for significance in their lives and we have the unique opportunity to show them the truth.?

Though the Anchor Academy is not nationally known, it has no problem finding enrollees. On average the academy receives three calls a day from parents who desperately need help for their teenage sons.   Not all the boys who come to the Anchor Academy succeed, but most of them will return home and be hard working, respectful members of society.    

In six years of working at the Anchor it has been my privilege to minister to hundreds of young men in need.  I believe the work done at the Anchor Academy is an investment in the future.  The destiny of our nation rests in the hands of today?s young people.

The Anchor Academy is a faith-based ministry of the Hi-Line Baptist Church in Havre, MT.  We take troubled and at-risk boys ages 13-17 for a minimum stay of one year.  The program is very structured and focuses on character building, respect for authority, hard work, establishing goals, and reconciling families.  We work on changing the outside, while God works on the heart.  This creates an atmosphere of tough-love discipline where the young men are taught to take responsibility for their actions.

The boys have daily Bible reading and prayer, memorize scripture, attend daily chapel services, and participate in weekly worship services.  The boys are also taught to work with their hands and participate in building projects, maintenance work, upkeep on the grounds, and cleaning buildings.

We run a private Christian school that uses the ACE (Accelerated Christian Education) curriculum.  Each student is given diagnostic tests to place him in the correct level of work.  The curriculum is self-paced and focuses on each student?s individual needs to enable him to succeed academically.  The boys attend school Monday-Friday during the regular school year, and summer school sessions are offered for students who need additional ?catch-up? work.

With so many troubled youth in our society, we are excited that young men exiting our program demonstrate a changed life.  The majority will stay in school, hold down jobs, respect their parents, and become law-abiding citizens.  Presently, our ministry takes 3-5 calls per day from parents hoping to get their sons into our program.

--Dennis McElwrath, Superintendent
         406-394-4454

My name is McKenzie Smith, from Coos Bay, Oregon, and I'm seventeen years old.  I was raised in a good home with loving parents.  When I was seven, my parents got divorced; but both of my parents still supported me.  

I started being rebellious when I got into junior high.  I began to get involved in the wrong stuff.  On June 26th, when I was sixteen, my parents sent me here to the Anchor Academy for boys.  Right from the start the staff and other guys here started giving me the Gospel.  

Although I grew up in church, it wasn't until I came here and saw a difference in the people, that on July 26th, the Lord convicted me and I got saved!  From that point on, the Lord has given me countless blessings.  He made me a leader in the dorm, I graduated from high school early, and many other wonderful things.  In the future, I plan to attend college and get a degree in criminal justice with the goal of working in law enforcement.

Listen to the
Anchor Academy sing
"He Is Mine."

Anchor Academy
24247 Base Rd.
Havre, MT 59501
406-394-4454
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2005, 03:59:00 PM »
If you and your sister are not minors, and you can not convince your mother to remove your brother from this abusive facility (and I assure you anything connected to Roloff is abusive)--then you and your sister need to start legal proceedings to have your brother removed from Anchor Academy immediately. OR, go there and remove him yourself, and deal with the legalities, and your mother later!
You are right--your brother ran for a reason.
Perhaps you could register here under some name so you can receive Private Messages.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005, 04:04:00 PM »
On 2005-09-28 08:34:00, OverLordd wrote:

"Filthy heritcal deviants, these are not christians, they are beasts."

Geez, OL, couldn't you quit being so wishy washy?  :rofl:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005, 04:07:00 PM »
On 2005-09-28 09:20:00, Anonymous wrote:

On 2005-09-28 07:06:00, Dysfunction Junction wrote:

"

http://www.intergate.com/~caaa/LET3_04.pdf
<
Looks worse than sketcy. It's a Roloff spin-off. The Roloff homes and their spin-offs are all highly abusive programs. "

This is the sort of generalization that makes you look silly, DJ.  :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 04:30:00 PM »
DJ doesn't look silly at all. He's right on the money here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 04:50:00 PM »
"Brother" McElwrath, how come your fine school doesn't have a website, yet you say Anchor Academy gets 3-4 calls per day? Who refers these boys to your school?

Offline CBIDWK

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2005, 05:47:00 PM »
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ANSWERING TO MY POST.
I HAVE REGISTERED AND AM ABLE TO RECEIVE PRIVATE MESSAGES.

Offline CBIDWK

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2005, 06:04:00 PM »
This place is in an old Air Force base...
check out the pics.

http://www.radomes.org/museum/recent/HavreAFSMT.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2005, 07:54:00 PM »
Would your mother let your brother live with you?  What's this program cost?  Maybe the savings alone would convince her to let your brother live with you (or another family member)?

:???:

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2005, 07:41:00 AM »
On 2005-09-28 13:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

On 2005-09-28 09:20:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-09-28 07:06:00, Dysfunction Junction wrote:

"

http://www.intergate.com/~caaa/LET3_04.pdf

<
Looks worse than sketcy. It's a Roloff spin-off. The Roloff homes and their spin-offs are all highly abusive programs. "

This is the sort of generalization that makes you look silly, DJ.  :idea:

Why are you more concerned with jabbing me than comprehending and understanding what you are commenting upon?  That type of weakness of character will get you nowhere in life.

-Arnold Schopenhauer[ This Message was edited by: Dysfunction Junction on 2005-09-29 04:44 ]
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2005, 07:54:00 AM »
On 2005-09-28 12:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

"On the plains of Northern Montana, a place where many describe as ?the middle of nowhere,? stands an academy for rebellious teenage boys called the Anchor Academy.  The landscape is truly striking at first sight.  Vast, open, and remote, the scenery supports Montana?s nickname ?Big Sky Country?.  In the wintertime the temperature can drop to ?30 creating what looks like an enchanted wonderland of snow, frosted tress, icicles, and unbearably cold air.

The Anchor Academy began accepting young men in trouble, between the ages of 13-17, back in 1999.   They have the capacity to keep fifty boys at a time and usually run full.  The adolescents seem to struggle with every problem on earth, but by the time they leave the academy they are respectful, hardworking, and significantly different young men.  

Sturdy buildings, once inhabited by military personnel manning a USAF Radar Base, dot the property owned by the Anchor Academy.  From the outside these edifices show the wear of time and duty.  On the inside, most of the buildings have been remodeled into a comfortable living environment.  The facilities do not transmit an institutional feel but rather a family atmosphere with traces of personal touch everywhere.

The boy?s dormitory is a big open room with bunks uniformly arranged along the outside wall.  The beds are all made inspection ready tight reminding one of a military barracks, except for an occasional stuffed animal neatly perched atop the blanket.  In the middle of the room is a large open area where the students can lounge on comfortable couches.  Against one wall is a large oak hutch displaying dozens of books, board games, and pictures of days gone by.          

The Academy?s academic and living programs are highly structure, as one would expect, focusing on spiritual growth, academics, and character building.  There are no guards, barbed-wire fences, or security cameras.  The young men are simply given a level of trust and expected to function responsibly as a member of a team.  

?We take students from all types of backgrounds? says Dennis McElwrath the director of the academy a red haired man in his late twenties with a medium build and hazel green eyes.   ?Some of the young men come to us in trouble with the law, and using drugs, others are just extremely defiant toward authority.  Either way, their parents are usually at their wits end when they turn to us for help.?

A first glance the students do not look like they are former troublemakers.  Everyone?s hair is short and neatly parted to either the left or the right.  Their shirts are usually tucked in and when they speak to an adult they will invariably address them as ?sir? or ?ma?am?.

?When we go places we get all kinds of complements,? declares Brandon, a stocky sixteen year old from Louisiana.  ?People notice us because the way we are dressed and the way we talk.  Most teenagers these days don?t show any respect.?  

When Brandon first came to the Anchor he looked like a full-fledged gang member and even had the attitude to go along with it.  ?I always knew I was missing something and tried to fill the void with drugs, rap music, and the wrong friends.  I was constantly getting into trouble and my parents and the judges were getting sick and tired of seeing my face in court.?

?My parents tried everything until they heard about the Anchor.  When I first got here my heart was hard as a rock but one month later during a Sunday night service I felt a heavy conviction because of my sin.  I broke down in tears and cried out to God to save me.  I?ll never forget that night as long as I live,? Brandon says with a convincing smile.

The Anchor Academy believes that the Bible is the instruction manual for solving life?s problems.  The boys attend chapel services, memorize Scripture, and often sing at area churches and community events.  The church services center on enthusiastic congregational singing and preaching.  Visiting parents and area residents often participate.

?We stand strong on the biblical values this country was founded upon and we make no apologies for it!? says Dennis McElwrath.  ?So many of these young men were searching for significance in their lives and we have the unique opportunity to show them the truth.?

Though the Anchor Academy is not nationally known, it has no problem finding enrollees. On average the academy receives three calls a day from parents who desperately need help for their teenage sons.   Not all the boys who come to the Anchor Academy succeed, but most of them will return home and be hard working, respectful members of society.    

In six years of working at the Anchor it has been my privilege to minister to hundreds of young men in need.  I believe the work done at the Anchor Academy is an investment in the future.  The destiny of our nation rests in the hands of today?s young people.

The Anchor Academy is a faith-based ministry of the Hi-Line Baptist Church in Havre, MT.  We take troubled and at-risk boys ages 13-17 for a minimum stay of one year.  The program is very structured and focuses on character building, respect for authority, hard work, establishing goals, and reconciling families.  We work on changing the outside, while God works on the heart.  This creates an atmosphere of tough-love discipline where the young men are taught to take responsibility for their actions.

The boys have daily Bible reading and prayer, memorize scripture, attend daily chapel services, and participate in weekly worship services.  The boys are also taught to work with their hands and participate in building projects, maintenance work, upkeep on the grounds, and cleaning buildings.

We run a private Christian school that uses the ACE (Accelerated Christian Education) curriculum.  Each student is given diagnostic tests to place him in the correct level of work.  The curriculum is self-paced and focuses on each student?s individual needs to enable him to succeed academically.  The boys attend school Monday-Friday during the regular school year, and summer school sessions are offered for students who need additional ?catch-up? work.

With so many troubled youth in our society, we are excited that young men exiting our program demonstrate a changed life.  The majority will stay in school, hold down jobs, respect their parents, and become law-abiding citizens.  Presently, our ministry takes 3-5 calls per day from parents hoping to get their sons into our program.

--Dennis McElwrath, Superintendent

406-394-4454

My name is McKenzie Smith, from Coos Bay, Oregon, and I'm seventeen years old.  I was raised in a good home with loving parents.  When I was seven, my parents got divorced; but both of my parents still supported me.  

I started being rebellious when I got into junior high.  I began to get involved in the wrong stuff.  On June 26th, when I was sixteen, my parents sent me here to the Anchor Academy for boys.  Right from the start the staff and other guys here started giving me the Gospel.  

Although I grew up in church, it wasn't until I came here and saw a difference in the people, that on July 26th, the Lord convicted me and I got saved!  From that point on, the Lord has given me countless blessings.  He made me a leader in the dorm, I graduated from high school early, and many other wonderful things.  In the future, I plan to attend college and get a degree in criminal justice with the goal of working in law enforcement.

Listen to the

Anchor Academy sing

"He Is Mine."

Anchor Academy

24247 Base Rd.

Havre, MT 59501

406-394-4454

"

After reading this, Brother.  It looks even more sketchy.

Items of concern:
-"Tough Love" discipline
-No Accredited Academics (what the heck is an Accelerated Christian Education anyway?)
-"Diagnostic Testing" administered by clergy
-Memorizing Scripture (why? what purpose does memorizing a book serve?)
-Kids taught to work with their hands (they're gonna need that when they "graduate" with no diploma or high school credits)

By the way, what do you charge for these "charitable" services, Brother?
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline CBIDWK

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2005, 11:39:00 AM »
My mother has told me that she pays $1000.00 a month to send my brother to Anchor. [ This Message was edited by: CBIDWK on 2005-09-29 11:11 ]

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2005, 07:30:00 PM »
Geez, OL, couldn't you quit being so wishy washy?  

Yeah, yeah I know. Haha, but that is a thing with me, I hate people that do things like this, I hate people that claim to do things in Gods name, sence some one posted a address, the will indeed get a letter from me berating them.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2005, 08:03:00 PM »
Well, they dont have a website, I would of found it other wise.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »
No website found. Wonder who sends these kids to this program? Think they work with ed cons, or just word-of-mouth referrals within the church network?