Author Topic: Where EXACTLY in Idaho are the former cedu schools?  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Where EXACTLY in Idaho are the former cedu schools?
« on: September 27, 2005, 12:50:00 PM »
I have been a "lurker" here for quite a few months. I am very interested in reading about the perspectives of the posters here regarding the CEDU schools.
I know someone that was sent to BCA, and released when the school closed. This person is still a minor, and I am not in their "immediate" family, so I am not able to speak to the person about their BCA experiences (yet).
I am really curious about where (on a map) the Idaho schools are located. I know they are(were) in the Northern part of the state, near Bonners Ferry. Does anyone remember the names of the streets for BCA, RMA and NWA? or directions from bonners ferry to these "schools"?
I have GOOGLE EARTH, and I'd like to see the overhead view of where my friend was taken to.
Thanks, Andrea
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 02:00:00 PM »
BCA and RMA were on Rt. 1 in Bonners Ferry (formerly known as Cow Creek Rd.). It was about 6 miles northeast of downtown (haha) Bonners Ferry.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 02:32:00 PM »
Would it have been North or south of the river??

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 06:10:00 PM »
Just barely South of the river. And I was mistaken, it was pretty much directly West of Bonners Ferry.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 06:14:00 PM »
Make that East. Directly East. It's tough to find it on a map, since there were absolutely no businesses nearby. Actually, there was a place 2.5 miles up the road that made saws. Try finding that and using it as a point of reference.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 09:05:00 PM »
well, I don't think I have found it yet. I do have 2 places that are possibilities.

One place I see is about 4 and a half miles SOUTHEAST of Bonners Ferry. It looks like 2 distinct groups of buildings.In one group closest to the main street, I can see what looks like a larger main building that is boomerang shaped with a small parking lot to the east of the building. To the west of the boomerang shaped building, are smaller buildings with dirt roads or trails leading to them. Looks like about 10-13 buildings all together there.
Just a bit Southeast of that group (like a tenth of a mile away) are another group of buildings. this group has a small parking lot with about 20 or so cars in it. looks like a main building and 10-15 smaller buildings and some of these smaller buildings are back in a forest or woodsy area. there are dirt paths or roads to the buildings, and it looks like there is a baseball field there too.

There are 2 or 3 farms within about a half mile, of these buildings. The site I am looking at is about 2 miles south from the river. The reason I am thinking this might be the place would be the parking lots with cars (staff?)
Any of that sound familiar?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 10:57:00 PM »
Not sure why there would be so many staff there, but I never did find out what they did with the campuses.

BCA's campus would be closest to the access road leading from the main road to the buildings. There would be one small building right there at the access road, a large horse pasture behind it, then three larger buildings before a building that probably does resemble a boomerang a bit. BCA's campus also had five smaller buildings deeper into the campus (between the access road and the largest boomerang building). Then there would be two long, wide open fields separated by a long line of trees. One of them had a baseball diamond on it. On the other side of those fields would be RMA's campus, which I'm not very familiar with, but it was larger and with more buildings located closer together than BCA's.

Separating the campuses from the main road was a huge, wide open cow pasture. There were a number of farms in the area. The main road that the campus' access road came off of keeps going and does one big loop back around to itself.

There was also a road leading out of the back of the campuses and up into the hills, which eventually looped back around to some roads near I-95.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 12:02:00 AM »
WOW! OK....looks like we are talking about the same place. I can see almost everything you describe, including the 2 wide open fields separated by a long line of trees.

The satelite images shown on GOOGLE EARTH were taken about a year ago, I think. At least the shots of my neighborhood are about a year old. I can tell by the construction and roadwork being done in the shots of my neighborhood. That might explain 20 or so cars in the parking lot. BCA/RMA would have been open a year ago. (I swear I can see people in the shots, but VERY blurry when I zoom in, I really cant tell.)

So, can you tell me more about the buildings at BCA? what was the "boomerang building used for? and what were the 5 smaller buildings at BCA? Dorms? did someone say there was a "farm" or something there.......horses maybe?
Thanks, I really appreciate your help with finding it on the map!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 12:34:00 AM »
No problem.

The "boomerang" building was "The House", or the Quixote Lodge. It was the main building where we spent most of our waking hours. Classes in the morning (if you weren't on the farm), "raps" (I'm sure you've read all about them), and general meetings were held there. Often times at night, especially during the winter when the days were much shorter, they would "close" the outside, confining everyone to the house under punishment of work assignments. My worst memories of that place all took place right there in The House. The clinical offices were also in there.

Most of those 5 smaller buildings were dorms. In order (starting from the one closest to The House), the first one was just a pottery studio. I guess it was used before my time, but when I was there, pretty much absolutely nothing went on there.

The one just a stone's throw from there was Ansel Adams. That was a full-fledged dorm before my time, but it eventually became a dorm for 18 year olds (under Idaho state law, they couldn't live in the dorms with the rest of us), as well as housing a game room and black room. Most of the time, if couples wanted to do their thing, they'd sneak off to Ansel Adams.

Across the small creek from that was Martin Luther King, a boy's dorm. Next was a tiny building that held two Team Rooms, where 2 of the 5 "Teams" (they broke students into these teams at random upon enrollment so staff could focus on their own team members) would meet for whatever.

The next one day, sitting right on the small pond, was Mary Cassat, the girls dorm. At least that's how it was during my time...the girls and guys switched dorms occasionally based on school population.

You might see a tiny building behind these 5 buildings close to the road...that was just a stable.

The building right down at the corner of campus was the "Farmhouse". It held the administrative offices, as well as the student store. This was a student's first stop when they got to BCA. This was also where the farm was...you can probably see the little ragtag structures next to the Farmhouse and the pond where the goat pen, chicken coop, burro pen, and tool shed were located.

Heading back up towards The House now, situated directly along the large cow pasture separating the campus from the main road, the first large building was "The Barn". This place sucked. The bottom floor was a weight room, the second floor held a couple more team rooms, but the top floor was the Propheet Room, aka hell. During propheets (another thing I'm sure you've read all about), you were confined to either this top floor room or a small break room on the bottom floor. Earlier propheets saw you in there for maybe 6-8 hours in one day...the later ones, if they weren't held at RMA, well you'd be in there from about 6 am to 11 pm for up to 2 days.

Next to the Barn was the wood corral, which was just a little covered area with some sawhorses and a tool shed. If you got a work assignment, you were likely going to do it here or on the farm.

Next came the dining hall. Pretty self explanatory, and there was a team room on the second floor as well as a classroom. Right next to the dining hall was a small greenhouse.

Finally, between the greenhouse and The House, was Thoreau's. This was the 2 story dorm, and was a guys dorm while I was there, but when it was first built it was the girls dorm.

There was a garden and a basketball in the middle of campus, but other than that, that was BCA.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 01:25:00 AM »
Didn't RMA and NWA switch places, though, and NWA ended up at the Route 1 address, and RMA ended up at the Naples campus, so that NWA and BCA then shared the same campus?

I remember the farm, which is where BCA ended up. Back when I was there, we had the barn, which was in the process of having the floor rebuilt by one of the farm teams. It was totally gutted and beaten up, and it was also where all the farm cats hung out. Then there was the newer storage area for the hay in a different open barn type building. Then there was the cow pen, which was the largest. (I HATED having to clean up after the cows.) The sheep pen was on one side of that, and the pig pen was on the other. The horse corral and the privvy were opposite that, and then further down past the sheep pen was the chicken coop and the tool shed. On the other side of the horse corral was where we burnt the ends of fence posts before the fence post crew put them in the ground. (The kids in Discovery would deliver the posts to the post burning crew after their forestry crew had chopped down the tree and stripped it of limbs and bark.) The post-burning place was where I worked. This spot was the most popular in the winter, because we had the fire pit. It was the WORST in the summer. Oy! The farm area was also home to the Swamp, which was a boy's dormitory, and Bruce Wilson's house.

The worst was having to pull farm duty when you were in the Quest family. Every morning at around 5 you'd have to trudge down there to feed and water all of the animals, and collect all of the chicken eggs. Then you'd have to take the eggs up to the house and wash them. The process was repeated in the evening. Those fucking chickens laid so many goddamn eggs in one day, I swear to fucking god. Stupid chickens.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 01:58:00 AM »
great descriptions! Thanks! I think I can pretty much follow along there. At least I can kind of get a picture of what you all are talking about.

I feel bad for those of you that were kept there for so long and have bad memories. That would be hard to work through. I was in a place kind of like that when I was a teen. It does seem like if the parents have money, they can pay for someone else to deal with their troublesome teen. I remember I did not like being at the place I was sent to back then, but I don't have any "bad" memories of the place or the staff. Actually, my friend and I love to recall our memories of our days there. Our group sessions were quiet and calm ( I think the way they should be) and we had music, outgoing/incoming mail, occasional parties and dances.......
we could earn levels by working on our own specific problems, and with each level was more privleges, eventually (hopefully) you work thru all your levels and went home.
Funny thing is, I always thought it was my mom who was the one with the problems, not me. Now that I am older, I (and my sister) can see that it IS our mom who is the dysfunctional one in the family!  
My oldest son is 19 now, and he was pretty wild and VERY mouthy when he was 13-18 yrs old. (he has calmed down a lot in the last year!)
Things got pretty heated around here, and it was pretty rough getting thru those years. I remember DAILY battles over EVERYTHING where I thought it would never end, but I have to say that I never ONCE thought about sending him off somewhere for treatment.  He and I are pretty close now. He is getting better as he matures.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on.........I guess we all have a story :smile:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 02:59:00 AM »
What is this site for if not to ramble on?

It's good to hear it all worked out like that for your family. 13-18 were the hardest years for me, but unforunately I had to go the route of BCA. The most frustrating part is that I have a little brother who is a spitting image of me, and is now halfway through that time period himself. He was the same tumultuous 14 year old I was, but since my parents could only afford one round of therapeutic boarding school, he got to stick it out back home while I was handcuffed and put on an airplane. And he turned out just fine, just as I'm sure I would've as well.

I think I turned out fine, but all those mistakes I wish I could've made as a 15 or 16 year old in the real world, I had to wait until I was 19 to make. And they have much worse consequences when you're that age. That's why it just makes me sad to see parents send their kids off like that because they have deep enough pockets to do so. I can't think of anything as unnatural as the approach to life those schools took.

How can a bubble turn you into a "better person"?

Offline chinsk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 09:38:00 PM »
On 2005-09-27 21:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

Heading back up towards The House now, situated directly along the large cow pasture separating the campus from the main road, the first large building was "The Barn". This place sucked. The bottom floor was a weight room, the second floor held a couple more team rooms, but the top floor was the Propheet Room, aka hell. During propheets (another thing I'm sure you've read all about), you were confined to either this top floor room or a small break room on the bottom floor. Earlier propheets saw you in there for maybe 6-8 hours in one day...the later ones, if they weren't held at RMA, well you'd be in there from about 6 am to 11 pm for up to 2 days.

"

I can't believe they put a 3rd floor on that thing.  I remember when the bottom did not even have plywood if I recall correctly.  I remember when the weights went from upstairs to downstairs back and forth for a while.  But the 2nd floor was desolate.  I cannot believe they built a third floor but there was space for it.  I sure hope they reinforced that building.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 10:23:00 PM »
Don't know if these links will come out or not.

BCA/RMAv(at least it was RMA my time)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=bonners+f ... &t=h&hl=en

NWA/Ascent

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=naples,+i ... &t=h&hl=en

BTW... the gate on the llama pen courtesy yours truely.

Offline chinsk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 10:24:00 PM »
forgot to login

On 2005-10-03 19:23:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Don't know if these links will come out or not.

BCA/RMA(at least it was RMA my time)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=bonners+f ... &t=h&hl=en

NWA/Ascent

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=naples,+i ... &t=h&hl=en

BTW... the gate on the llama pen courtesy yours truely.  "