Author Topic: article on the Hyde School  (Read 5499 times)

Offline HydeFan

• View Profile
article on the Hyde School
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 09:34:00 PM »
Actually, they were addidas.  And it was a cape.  I only wear the robe at home.  :eek:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 03:19:26 PM »
Attack the person when you can't attack the facts...

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 03:20:22 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Attack the person when you can't attack the facts...

Pot, meet kettle. ::bwahaha::
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 11:10:49 PM »
I take exception to Malcolm Gaulds response to this article by Traub.

First of all Malcolm says, "Good teaching will invariably loose out to poor parenting."

This statement is true, but the academics at Hyde are very poor. This is a FACT! I hope Malcolm is not referring to Hyde when he says, "good teaching."  

Another statement from Malcolm, "Traub misleads the reader when he suggests that Hyde has abandoned academic requirements for graduation. Our enterprising culture did indeed lead us to a brief flirtation with this notion in our earliest days. However, stringent traditional requirements have been in place for more than 30 years."

Hello???  Hyde does not apply these requirements like in the public school sector, which is overseen by a strict set of standards.  If Hyde's rules were the same they would not be taking our children out of class for a week at a time in order to "punish" them by putting them on 2-4.  It is hard enough to keep these kids on track academically!

Malcolm further states, "The mathematician would categorize as ?necessary but not sufficient? his reference to Hyde as a family ?caste.? To be sure, the Gauld family has long had a heavy hand in the leadership of Hyde. However, Mr. Traub fails to mention that three of Hyde?s four schools are led by individuals with no familial ties to the Gaulds. There are no family members on Hyde?s board of governors, the authority to which all four of those teams report."

Hyde is certainly run by the Gauld/Hurd/McMillan/Grant family. The others have been indoctoranated into this strange family web.  Malcolm Gauld fails to mention that it is two of the four schools who were run by family members until recently.  The sister of Malcolm's wife, and the sister's husband, The Grants, started Hyde Woodstock and ran it until there was a big scandal at the school.  I remember there was also another member of the family at the helm, but he resigned or took a leave of absence after admitting some kind of plagiarism.

I agree with EVERYTHING "guest" says above.  It is practically word for word what I would have written based on my experiences at Hyde.  I also remember the plagiarism incident with a family member of Gaulds.  Unfortunately no matter what mistakes you make if you are a Gauld family member or friend you will be welcomed back at the school.  

Hyde probably has one of the worst statistics in private boarding schools for retaining teachers and staff.  It is pathetic how few staff stay at Hyde for more than a year or two.  This should tell you something about that crazy place!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 06:52:47 AM »
I take exception to Malcolm Gaulds response to this article by Traub.

First of all Malcolm says, "Good teaching will invariably loose out to poor parenting."

This statement is true, but the academics at Hyde are very poor. This is a FACT! I hope Malcolm is not referring to Hyde when he says, "good teaching."  

Another statement from Malcolm, "Traub misleads the reader when he suggests that Hyde has abandoned academic requirements for graduation. Our enterprising culture did indeed lead us to a brief flirtation with this notion in our earliest days. However, stringent traditional requirements have been in place for more than 30 years."

Hello???  Hyde does not apply these requirements like in the public school sector, which is overseen by a strict set of standards.  If Hyde's rules were the same they would not be taking our children out of class for a week at a time in order to "punish" them by putting them on 2-4.  It is hard enough to keep these kids on track academically!

Malcolm further states, "The mathematician would categorize as ?necessary but not sufficient? his reference to Hyde as a family ?caste.? To be sure, the Gauld family has long had a heavy hand in the leadership of Hyde. However, Mr. Traub fails to mention that three of Hyde?s four schools are led by individuals with no familial ties to the Gaulds. There are no family members on Hyde?s board of governors, the authority to which all four of those teams report."

Hyde is certainly run by the Gauld/Hurd/McMillan/Grant family. The others have been indoctoranated into this strange family web.  Malcolm Gauld fails to mention that it is two of the four schools who were run by family members until recently.  The sister of Malcolm's wife, and the sister's husband, The Grants, started Hyde Woodstock and ran it until there was a big scandal at the school.  I remember there was also another member of the family at the helm, but he resigned or took a leave of absence after admitting some kind of plagiarism.

I agree with EVERYTHING "guest" says above.  It is practically word for word what I would have written based on my experiences at Hyde.  I also remember the plagiarism incident with a family member of Gaulds.  Unfortunately no matter what mistakes you make if you are a Gauld family member or friend you will be welcomed back at the school.  

Hyde probably has one of the worst statistics in private boarding schools for retaining teachers and staff.  It is pathetic how few staff stay at Hyde for more than a year or two.  This should tell you something about that crazy place!!

What was the plagiarism incident involving a Gauld family member?  What happened?  When?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 10:46:09 AM »
It wasn't that big of a deal, but one of the Gauld family wrote an article and did not devulge that part of it was someone else's work.  He went off for a year or two but I believe he is back.  The members of this Cult always come back!  In order to be in this family you must be committed to the "Hyde process."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2006, 05:56:33 PM »
A colleague recently told me about a fascinating article on the Hyde School. It's from a journal called Education Next (it's published by Stanford University's Hoover Institution). Anyone considering sending their child to Hyde should read this article carefully -- it's very thorough and professional. The author says Hyde almost feels like a cult and has an incredibly high drop-out rate -- I find that scary. Here's the article: http://www.educationnext.org/20051/22.html

This is a fascinating article, but suprisingly dismissive of the coercion implemented and the lack of genuine youth empowerment which can't come from such a top down structure such as this.... I'm suprised the author mentions what appears to be in passing the drop out rate and cult like atmosphere. Further, I'm absolutely astonished that no acknowledgment is made on the fact that this man, the cult leader, if you will, is basically a Joe Shmoe who has no qualifiction in dealing with youth with serious emotional difficulties, but rather runs a facility which side-steps the appropriate regulatory bodies to create what appears to be the 'perfect' bubble of a universe of prostheletizers.

While I appreciate Bloom's concerns in his 'closing of the american mind', this facilities reliance on coercion over free, riguorous thinking is rather disconcerting.  :o