Author Topic: Hyde's methodology, seminars and practices  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Hyde's methodology, seminars and practices
« on: August 23, 2006, 08:57:57 PM »
I would really like to be able to carry on a civil debate of the controversial aspects of Hyde adn the Gaulds.  I've been doing a little research here and there and Joe Gauld seems to have many of the same qualities that Miller Newton of Straight fame had/has.  I'm looking for all POVs, parents, students, staff...current and former, satisfied and not.  I'd really like to be able to get a little clearer picture of what Hyde and the Gaulds are about.

I've been PMing with a Hyde supporter today but I'd rather carry this discussion on here, in the open.   This is my last PM to whoever it is....

I didin't say I was sure. I said what I had seen so far disturbed me and it does. Which is why I'm asking questions. Particularly of people such as yourself who have been through it. I can read Hyde's site all day but it's just marketing. I'd like to have a normal, civil discussion of the controversial aspects of Hyde and like schools with someone with your perspective.

I also never said that just because someone believes strongly in something that makes it unhealthy. It was a comparison. Newton is now generally accepted even by TBS supporters to be an abusive ass, yet he still has his followers, young and old, from then and now. I said that because you keep telling me about these wonderful grads who are so grateful for the Gaulds and Hyde. People were grateful to Jim Jones too.

I'd love to discuss this and why I think the methodology is flawed with you further but I'd rather spend my time and effort doing it where more than one person can see and interpret and contribute to the discussion. If you'd like to do that you'd be more than welcome. Please don't go back to posting jabs anonymously. If you don't want to participate in an open discussion then don't....but stop the hit and run "hyde is great" crap and the personal attacks. Yes I realize that people on "my side" of the issue do the same but they're just as wrong as you are. I can still manage to carry on a discussion around them.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Hyde's methodology, seminars and practices
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 10:29:25 PM »
Quote from: ""Anne Bonney""
I would really like to be able to carry on a civil debate of the controversial aspects of Hyde adn the Gaulds.  I've been doing a little research here and there and Joe Gauld seems to have many of the same qualities that Miller Newton of Straight fame had/has.  I'm looking for all POVs, parents, students, staff...current and former, satisfied and not.  I'd really like to be able to get a little clearer picture of what Hyde and the Gaulds are about.

I've been PMing with a Hyde supporter today but I'd rather carry this discussion on here, in the open.   This is my last PM to whoever it is....

I didin't say I was sure. I said what I had seen so far disturbed me and it does. Which is why I'm asking questions. Particularly of people such as yourself who have been through it. I can read Hyde's site all day but it's just marketing. I'd like to have a normal, civil discussion of the controversial aspects of Hyde and like schools with someone with your perspective.

I also never said that just because someone believes strongly in something that makes it unhealthy. It was a comparison. Newton is now generally accepted even by TBS supporters to be an abusive ass, yet he still has his followers, young and old, from then and now. I said that because you keep telling me about these wonderful grads who are so grateful for the Gaulds and Hyde. People were grateful to Jim Jones too.

I'd love to discuss this and why I think the methodology is flawed with you further but I'd rather spend my time and effort doing it where more than one person can see and interpret and contribute to the discussion. If you'd like to do that you'd be more than welcome. Please don't go back to posting jabs anonymously. If you don't want to participate in an open discussion then don't....but stop the hit and run "hyde is great" crap and the personal attacks. Yes I realize that people on "my side" of the issue do the same but they're just as wrong as you are. I can still manage to carry on a discussion around them.

There's no question that there are similarities between Joe Gauld and other narcissistic administrators of programs for struggling teens.  I've heard similar stories about Mel Wasserman, who ran CEDU.  What they seem to have in common is a remarkable dose of arrogance and narcissism.  Some parents seem to eat up this kind of savior syndrome.  Many others see right through it and flee.  There are many good programs for struggling teens.  Programs like Hyde, and administrators like Gauld, are a stain on the industry.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 08:17:24 PM »
Anyone?  Anyone?  

Beuller?  Beuller?

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 01:30:55 AM »
Wow.  Hyde supporters were all around a while back.  What happened?  I open a line of discussion for a civil, adult debate and they all disappear.  Interesting. :-?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 05:14:47 AM »
Wow.  Hyde supporters were all around a while back.  What happened?  I open a line of discussion for a civil, adult debate and they all disappear.  Interesting. :-?

Ok there Bonnie girl here I am debate away.

Perry Helyon Hyde '75

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 10:35:41 AM »
Cool, it's about time.  Can you explain the 'brother's keeper' concept to me?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 12:09:17 PM »
Cool, it's about time.  Can you explain the 'brother's keeper' concept to me?

Well yes I can but I will not.  You are asking for exposition. You said you wanted debate. Set forth a proposition and we shall debate, dear bonnie girl.

Mr Helyon

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 12:14:16 PM »
Please dont' use that condescending tone with me.  I've been polite in asking for this discussion.

If you can't or are afraid to discuss the issues, just say so.  All this deflecting and condescension does nothing to give anyone a better understanding of what goes on in there.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 01:44:47 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

Well yes I can but I will not.  You are asking for exposition. You said you wanted debate. Set forth a proposition and we shall debate, dear bonnie girl.

Mr Helyon

So much for an open discussion. :roll:  What are you people so afraid of?  You're quick with the insults but when someone tries to have an adult discussion about Hyde, you clam up.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 09:30:05 AM »
They clam up because they are not truly interested in a debate.  You hit the nail on the head when you used the word arrogant.  This is what Hyde is all about, the arrogance of the Cult leaders and followers. They live in a world that you and I cannot understand.These people are delusional and full of themselves.  

I see one family on the website who was at Hyde years ago when I was there. Truth is that after many years of having their kids at Hyde and participating themselves in the Hyde process, and now being fundraisers for Hyde, they are exactly where they have always been, completely dysfunctional, unable to function without a crutch.  How has Hyde helped them?  These people are still stuck in the same place as when they enrolled at Hyde.  The only difference is that by now they are in the "inner circle", have learned the Hyde lingo, and are now recruiting for Hyde.

I saw another parent listed who is still very involved in Hyde.  Again, this is a lost soul and if he truly had learned and grown from his experience at Hyde, he would have moved on.  I personally do not believe that Hyde helps a person grow.  If anything, I believe that Hyde teaches you to lean on them for all the answers in life.  Seems that most of the "HAPA" parents are still involved in Hyde because they still have deep issues that are not resolved and probably never will be.  Certainly Hyde is not capable of giving them the professional help they need.

Very sad that these "loyalists" don't understand that they haven't grown the way they might think, they have only conformed more to someone else's way of thinking.  This is called, "mind control" and being under the spell of a Cult.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 09:30:25 AM »
They clam up because they are not truly interested in a debate.  You hit the nail on the head when you used the word arrogant.  This is what Hyde is all about, the arrogance of the Cult leaders and followers. They live in a world that you and I cannot understand.These people are delusional and full of themselves.  

I see one family on the website who was at Hyde years ago when I was there. Truth is that after many years of having their kids at Hyde and participating themselves in the Hyde process, and now being fundraisers for Hyde, they are exactly where they have always been, completely dysfunctional, unable to function without a crutch.  How has Hyde helped them?  These people are still stuck in the same place as when they enrolled at Hyde.  The only difference is that by now they are in the "inner circle", have learned the Hyde lingo, and are now recruiting for Hyde.

I saw another parent listed who is still very involved in Hyde.  Again, this is a lost soul and if he truly had learned and grown from his experience at Hyde, he would have moved on.  I personally do not believe that Hyde helps a person grow.  If anything, I believe that Hyde teaches you to lean on them for all the answers in life.  Seems that most of the "HAPA" parents are still involved in Hyde because they still have deep issues that are not resolved and probably never will be.  Certainly Hyde is not capable of giving them the professional help they need.

Very sad that these "loyalists" don't understand that they haven't grown the way they might think, they have only conformed more to someone else's way of thinking.  This is called, "mind control" and being under the spell of a Cult.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 11:58:38 AM »

Bonney, With the exception of this twisted ignoramus who wants to take your thread in another direction to further their own agenda of Hyde-bashing, it's clear to me why you get little or no response. Perry expresses his willingness to engage in a debate, and when instead of expressing your view to begin the debate, you ask him for information, which says/shows you don't know much about Hyde. How can you debate something if you know little about it and if you haven't done your homework in preparation? And contrary to your accusation, I fail to see where Perry was condescending or impolite in any way, but then you attribute him of being afraid to discuss or of deflecting. Sounds like you're ALREADY attacking and trying to discredit your opponent before the event begins and before he has even given you the knowledge you lack! It appears to me that it is you who insults yourself (and our intelligence), with no help from Perry. Try being a little more civil if you truly want to encourage discourse.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 12:14:06 PM »

Bonney, With the exception of this twisted ignoramus who wants to take your thread in another direction to further their own agenda of Hyde-bashing, it's clear to me why you get little or no response. Perry expresses his willingness to engage in a debate, and when instead of expressing your view to begin the debate, you ask him for information, which says/shows you don't know much about Hyde. How can you debate something if you know little about it and if you haven't done your homework in preparation? And contrary to your accusation, I fail to see where Perry was condescending or impolite in any way, but then you attribute him of being afraid to discuss or of deflecting. Sounds like you're ALREADY attacking and trying to discredit your opponent before the event begins and before he has even given you the knowledge you lack! It appears to me that it is you who insults yourself (and our intelligence), with no help from Perry. Try being a little more civil if you truly want to encourage discourse.

Wow, did something offend you?  This "twisted ignoramus" went to Hyde and is speaking from the heart.  I see what is right with Hyde and I see what is wrong with it, and IMHO Hyde is not a successful "college prep school with character education."

I was answering the post from Anne Bonney.  She wants to know what is right and what is wrong with Hyde, and I am giving her my opinion.  If you want a private conversation with her, then I apologize for inteferring.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 12:20:19 PM »

You can't be serious.  I said I don't know much about Hyde and it's practices.  That's why I'm asking[/b].  That's how one learns.

Call me crazy, but this was condescending, IMO...

Well yes I can but I will not. You are asking for exposition. You said you wanted debate. Set forth a proposition and we shall debate, dear bonnie girl.

Mr Helyon

I'm asking pointed, direct question about Hyde and how it works.  I genuinely want to know.  I can read Hyde's website all day long but that tells me their perspective of Hyde, which let's face it is biased.  I'm asking for all opinions of staff, students and parents, current and former so that I can speak intelligently about this.  What's the problem with that?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 12:57:38 PM »

Wow, did something offend you?  This "twisted ignoramus" went to Hyde and is speaking from the heart.  I see what is right with Hyde and I see what is wrong with it, and IMHO Hyde is not a successful "college prep school with character education."

I was answering the post from Anne Bonney.  She wants to know what is right and what is wrong with Hyde, and I am giving her my opinion.  If you want a private conversation with her, then I apologize for inteferring.

Why yes you do offend me. IMO, you're a twisted ignoramus who is speaking out their ass, not "from your heart". You were answering Bonney's post with your own off-subject diatribe emptying your spleen. Save it for another time, OK? If you have something on-point and worthwhile to contribute to the discussion, you're welcome to participate. Or you can continue to be a jerkoff and spout your bile. It's a free website.