Author Topic: article on the Hyde School  (Read 5462 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
article on the Hyde School
« on: September 24, 2005, 11:07:00 PM »
A colleague recently told me about a fascinating article on the Hyde School.  It's from a journal called Education Next (it's published by Stanford University's Hoover Institution). Anyone considering sending their child to Hyde should read this article carefully -- it's very thorough and professional.  The author says Hyde almost feels like a cult and has an incredibly high drop-out rate -- I find that scary.  Here's the article: http://www.educationnext.org/20051/22.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 12:23:00 PM »
This is a very informative article about the Hyde School.  This should be distributed widely to people considering the school, educational consultants, etc.  It's very revealing.

Offline HydeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 05:18:00 AM »
For Malcolm's response, see: http://www.educationnext.org/20052/4.html

IMHO, as well-healed as they want to make themselves sound, the article gives no information on James Traub, the author, and the purpose of the studying entity is as follows.

"The Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace, Stanford University, is a public policy research center devoted to advanced study of politics, economics, and political economy?both domestic and foreign?as well as international affairs. With its world-renowned group of scholars and ongoing programs of policy-oriented research, the Hoover Institution puts its accumulated knowledge to work as a prominent contributor to the world marketplace of ideas defining a free society."

Hardly the people from whom I might be inclined to make such a powerful decision as to where to put my child in school.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 10:54:00 AM »
I take exception to Malcolm Gaulds response to this article by Traub.

First of all Malcolm says, "Good teaching will invariably loose out to poor parenting."

This statement is true, but the academics at Hyde are very poor. This is a FACT! I hope Malcolm is not referring to Hyde when he says, "good teaching."  

Another statement from Malcolm, "Traub misleads the reader when he suggests that Hyde has abandoned academic requirements for graduation. Our enterprising culture did indeed lead us to a brief flirtation with this notion in our earliest days. However, stringent traditional requirements have been in place for more than 30 years."

Hello???  Hyde does not apply these requirements like in the public school sector, which is overseen by a strict set of standards.  If Hyde's rules were the same they would not be taking our children out of class for a week at a time in order to "punish" them by putting them on 2-4.  It is hard enough to keep these kids on track academically!

Malcolm further states, "The mathematician would categorize as ?necessary but not sufficient? his reference to Hyde as a family ?caste.? To be sure, the Gauld family has long had a heavy hand in the leadership of Hyde. However, Mr. Traub fails to mention that three of Hyde?s four schools are led by individuals with no familial ties to the Gaulds. There are no family members on Hyde?s board of governors, the authority to which all four of those teams report."

Hyde is certainly run by the Gauld/Hurd/McMillan/Grant family. The others have been indoctoranated into this strange family web.  Malcolm Gauld fails to mention that it is two of the four schools who were run by family members until recently.  The sister of Malcolm's wife, and the sister's husband, The Grants, started Hyde Woodstock and ran it until there was a big scandal at the school.  I remember there was also another member of the family at the helm, but he resigned or took a leave of absence after admitting some kind of plagiarism.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 10:58:00 AM »
On 2005-10-02 02:18:00, HydeFan wrote:

"For Malcolm's response, see: http://www.educationnext.org/20052/4.html

IMHO, as well-healed as they want to make themselves sound, the article gives no information on James Traub, the author, and the purpose of the studying entity is as follows.

"The Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace, Stanford University, is a public policy research center devoted to advanced study of politics, economics, and political economy?both domestic and foreign?as well as international affairs. With its world-renowned group of scholars and ongoing programs of policy-oriented research, the Hoover Institution puts its accumulated knowledge to work as a prominent contributor to the world marketplace of ideas defining a free society."

Hardly the people from whom I might be inclined to make such a powerful decision as to where to put my child in school.

"
You're an idiot.  You prove yourself an idiot by not recognizing the intellectual power of a public policy think-tank over your GED education (thanks, Hyde!).

Do you have one of those hats where you can drink two Hyde Koolaids simultaneously?
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 11:04:00 AM »
I wouldn't pay attention to HydeFan.  It is just another Hydette who has been brainwashed.  Very sad that so many people in this world would allow themselves to be influenced by a Cult.

I think the most important thing to accomplish with this board, is not to throw insults but to post facts about Hyde so when parents are considering it, they will be informed of what actually goes on at the school rather than looking at fancy colorful brosures.  

Please continue to tell your stories about what you observed at Hyde which was illegal or immoral!

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 12:10:00 PM »
Ok then, is Hyde still requiring male students to
starve themselves to make the small weight classes
in wrestling? They sure were in '76. As I recall
the penalty for not making weight was called
"sharking". This meant that you would wrestle
one guy for 60 seconds, the whistle would be
blown, he's replaced by a fresh wrestler for
another 60 seconds, another whistle, another
wrestler, etc., etc... until you dropped.
Also I seem to remember that for the Varsity guys
they would jack the heat in the wrestling room to
like 90 or 100 degrees and they'd do practice in
that. The Varsity guys looked like concentration
camp survivors.

That's all marijuana is, after all. It's just a plant, a common and easily grown one at that. In many cultures, its consumption was lawful for millennia. And in all that time, the bond between thugs, mayhem, murder and marijuana that we see today did not exist.

http://www.mapinc.org/author/Dan+Gardner' target='_new'>Dan Gardner, CanWest News Service

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 01:22:00 PM »
The wrestling program was definitely abusive to some degree, but to my understanding, was changed around 1980.

Offline HydeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 01:28:00 PM »
You're an idiot.  You prove yourself an idiot by not recognizing the intellectual power of a public policy think-tank over your GED education (thanks, Hyde!).

Well, actually, I have a college degree cum laude, and a doctorate.

My point was that an article....or a post on a chat board....is only relevant in context.  Who are these people that wrote this?  Not educators, as far as I can tell.  Who was the author?  We have no idea.  True scholarly publications list that sort of information de rigeuer.

And the real question is who are you?  I'll bet there is a lot of information about who you are that would place your comments in context as well, and then parents would get something closer to a fair picture.

Offline HydeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 01:36:00 PM »
On 2005-10-02 08:04:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I wouldn't pay attention to HydeFan.  It is just another Hydette who has been brainwashed.  Very sad that so many people in this world would allow themselves to be influenced by a Cult.

I think the most important thing to accomplish with this board, is not to throw insults but to post facts about Hyde so when parents are considering it, they will be informed of what actually goes on at the school rather than looking at fancy colorful brosures.  

Please continue to tell your stories about what you observed at Hyde which was illegal or immoral!"

So to recap your point:
1. Hydefan is brainwashed
2. The key is to not throw insults
3. I have an agenda and don't want to hear that Hyde may have been good or better for some or many.  Please only post things which were illegal or immoral.

I would point out how 1 & 2 seem, well, shall we say, inconsistent?  3 seems to speak for itself as well.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 03:13:00 PM »
On 2005-10-02 10:28:00, HydeFan wrote:

"

Well, actually, I have a college degree cum laude, and a doctorate.

My point was that an article....or a post on a chat board....is only relevant in context.  Who are these people that wrote this?  Not educators, as far as I can tell.  Who was the author?  We have no idea.  True scholarly publications list that sort of information de rigeuer.

And the real question is who are you?  I'll bet there is a lot of information about who you are that would place your comments in context as well, and then parents would get something closer to a fair picture."
Tell us about your drinking helmet.  What size Kool-Aids can it hold and how many do you drink per day?

Uh, the author and his credentials were listed.  You even commented on it.  Now you don't know who it was?  You must be well into your second 12-pack of Kool-Aid for the day...
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline HydeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 09:11:00 PM »
Sure.  When you don't have anything intelligent to say, attack the person.  At least you are revealing your true stripes as somone with an agenda.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 10:35:00 PM »
On 2005-09-24 20:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

"A colleague recently told me about a fascinating article on the Hyde School.  It's from a journal called Education Next (it's published by Stanford University's Hoover Institution). Anyone considering sending their child to Hyde should read this article carefully -- it's very thorough and professional.  The author says Hyde almost feels like a cult and has an incredibly high drop-out rate -- I find that scary.  Here's the article: http://www.educationnext.org/20051/22.html  "

I see this article as a true picture of Hyde.  Of course there are some of you who will disagree and to that I say, you are entitled to your own opinion.  I am entitled to my opinion and my opinion is that this article is a VERY accurate  description of Hyde!

Offline HydeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 10:08:00 AM »
(COPIED FROM A SEPARATE STREAM ON THIS TOPIC)

POTENTIAL PARENTS: I don't have the exact facts here, so my primary statement is, if you want literature on Hyde, read this article by Traub the economist/public policy wonk, who may or may not have a college degree, and who may or may not have an axe to grind that's either personal or socio-psycho-economic-political.

But also call Hyde and ask for copies of the videos of Hyde on 60 Minutes (twice?), 20-20, Barbara Walters (I think her son or daughter went there), and all the other national publicity from less questionable sources. Call and ask for the news stories on Hyde in the written press.

And then read them all.

Its not all flattering, but by and large, there has been a fair amount of prestigious news coverage on Hyde over the years.

And some of it actually reasonably captures the vision and the dream of what many individuals and families have experienced first hand.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 12:28:00 PM »
On 2005-10-02 18:11:00, HydeFan wrote:

"Sure.  When you don't have anything intelligent to say, attack the person.  At least you are revealing your true stripes as somone with an agenda."
I saw you yesterday.  You had on a Hyde drinking helmet, a purple robe and Nikes.

When is the big event?
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control