Author Topic: follow-up questions on Hyde School  (Read 16577 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
follow-up questions on Hyde School
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2005, 09:41:00 PM »
On 2005-12-01 18:01:00, Lars wrote:

"He's an egomaniac who thinks he's going to revolutionize american education by basing everything on character development.  It's actually an interesting concept, but the way they go about it, well...let's just say that I doubt our schools will ever operate like they do at Hyde, not when they find out how things really work there.

Anyone who went to Hyde remembers his preaching at "school meetings."  He'd get so worked up, his face would turn purple and he'd say nonsensical things like "you are not americans!!"  If the program wasn't so abusive and demeaning, I'd dismiss him as harmless.  But he and his cronies have inflicted a lot of emotional damage on people."

I think Joe Gauld would make a fascinating case study.  As I wander around Hyde, I consistently hear him described, by different people, as a self-centered, egomaniacal, grandiose, arrogant, narcissistic, and somewhat charismatic figurehead.  If one were to line Gauld up adjacent to some well known cult figures, you'd find many similarities.    

Despite Gauld's claims to the contrary, he has really had minimal impact on American education.  He has managed to operate his own little kingdom, but notice that his model has not been replicated widely, despite its age.  If Hyde's model were so compelling, it would be more prominent and widespread.  Instead, Hyde groupies talk among themselves in their own inner circle.  They seem to have convinced themselves that they're educational leaders.  In fact, they have become an embarrassment to many in the educational consultant community.  In short, Joe Gauld has become a caricature - a legend in his own mind.  

I followed the recommendation of someone here who suggested reading Traub's insightful article on Hyde.  This seems like a rather accurate description of Hyde's foibles.  If you haven't read, I'd suggest a close look: http://www.educationnext.org/20051/22.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2005, 11:07:00 PM »
On 2005-11-30 22:47:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-11-30 16:29:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

I am not saying the school is the only person that can be believed, I am saying we simply don't know what the school representatives discussed with the hospital outside of earshot of the student....and so can't jump to any conclusions about medical treatment and abuse.

I totally agree that if they weren't, the family should have been notified.  I don't agree that Hyde was medically derelict or abusive of the student.

And FWIW, having watched enough Jerry Springer, if she started a fight and, for instance, caused injury to another person or this was otherwise somehow potentially a liability issue, then I imagine a family saying all sorts of things to protect itself and deflect from the primary issue.

All that goes to say is, I don't buy that there are no facts where the back-story could be relevant."

Oh please, are you for real?  This girl did not start the fight, (I was there as well as many others) nor was there a liability issue.  The parents simply felt it was wrong they could not find out how their daughter was nor were they notified immediately!

Do you also think it is ok that the former Headmaster at Woodstock used to allow underage kids to serve liquor at their private parties!  Yes, I do have proof of this from other teachers as well as a couple of students who served the beer and wine as part of their job for the night!

Sorry, but IMHO this school is full of hypocricies!!

You have a very vivid imagination re the girl who was hit with a bottle.  I guess it is from watching too much Jerry Springer!  "

If you look at my first statement on this, I propose the concept that the student and parent involved could not possible know what was communicated between the school and the hospital, rendering any conclusions about the schools behavior unwarranted.

THEN -- and I questioned even including this because I knew someone would latch onto this and skip over the fundamental problem with the abuse allegation itself -- I threw out that there were at least plausible scenarios about the fight that might be relevant, so would want to check in there as well.

Your response suggests that everyone should know that these scenarios weren't possible, and were the product of a vivid imagination.

Well here's the thing.  There was a time when I accepted what was told to me without questioning it.  Truth be told, I still even have a tendency this way.

But do you want to know who taught me not to take things on face value and to question everything?  Joe Gauld.  

You see, one day a student asked him the meaning of something that he was talking about and Joe looked up and asked the parents and students in the room what they thought it meant.  When he realized that virtually no one in a room understood part of what he was saying, he was a astounded that we would sit there, pretending as if we understood, but really too afraid to speak up.

He then shifted the discussion to the general concept of asking questions when you don't understand something, even if you think you might be the only one in the room who doesn't get it.

Anyway, its hard to convey the intensity of the experience, but I can tell you, I will never forget that day, and that was just one of many days where the teachings of Joe Gauld rocked my world.  

In this case, it was as if Joe was saying Wake the Fuck Up.  Life isn't a dress rehearsal.  And you don't have time to go through it pretending you get something when you don't, so ask questions and challenge everything until you get it.

That is what he taught.  That is what I try and practice to this day.

I know many of the cool-aid posters will jump and give negative interpretations, but I daresay I wasn't the only one in the room who learned an important life's lesson that day."

Yes you definitely have been drinking the koolaid.  More acurately, I think you have been drinking Jim Jones punch!  

Any normal psychologically fit person would read your tribute to Joe Gauld and know immediately that this is a sign of a Cult Leader!  We heard the same exact crap from Joe!  He is a recovering alcoholic who has found a way to make a buck by preaching to desperate parents who have no where to turn with their out of control kids.  His son is taking the reigns along with the rest of the extended family!  They are a bunch of losers who won't take a risk themselves by getting a real job!

Quote** "Ask questions and challenge everything"

What happens to the students who ask too many questions or challenge to many things the school tells them to do?

I remember Joe preaching about confronting co-workers.  Most of his philosophy would get us fired from our jobs and at the school will surely get the students on 2/4!  In Hyde's world you can say anything to anyone as long as you are being honest about it. In the real world there are consequences to opening your mouth to the wrong person or at the wrong time.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2005, 11:51:00 PM »
On 2005-09-28 09:40:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I understand what you're saying about the seminars, but from the sound of it, you have not actually sat through one of these seminars.

Faculty are participants in the group just as much as they are facilitators, and a lot of the harsh feedback comes from students, parents, AND faculty, so if someone is offended by something, it was not necessarily from a faculty.

The amount of seminars that i have sat through is indefinte, I spent 7 years sitting through seminars, since my brother attended the school before I did. People's boundaries are respected, if there something very personal about their past then they are encouraged to share it, but not required. I know this first-hand. The mandatory journaling questions and such are pretty vague: "what are your hopes and dreams?" "what resentments do you have towards your past?" people can answer however they want.

Again: I don't think that the school is perfect, I was often a student who stood up for things that i disagreed with, and I had many conversations with the headmaster, asst. headmasters, and all my teachers about the things that were not right about the school. But you don't really have the right to talk about that before you really give it a chance...and I don't mean just sitting in a seminar, but really really participating."
I have been in many seminars at Hyde and know for a fact if you do not talk about some major issue in your life, you are then critisized and told you are not getting deep enough. They don't give up. You are put in a room with a bunch of total strangers and then asked to talk about your deepest issues, and not one person has a psychology degree. This is not theraputic, and no doctor would think so.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2005, 01:51:00 AM »
You people need to watch sesame street....Learn how to spell

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2005, 08:39:00 AM »
On 2005-12-11 22:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"You people need to watch sesame street....Learn how to spell"

You are exactly right.  There are plenty of mispellings.  My guess is that these are students of Hyde who failed them in the way of education!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2005, 11:42:00 AM »

I'm sorry it was so hard for you to understand. Maybe this will be better for you. I have been in many seminars at Hyde and know for a fact if you do not talk about some major issue in your life, you are then criticized and told you are not getting deep enough. They don't give up. You are put in a room with a bunch of total strangers and then asked to talk about your deepest issues, and not one person has a psychology degree. This is not therapeutic, and no doctor would think so.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2005, 03:37:00 PM »

Whoever you are that wrote this I would like you to know that I think it was very mean,vicious, and hurtful to make fun of someone's spelling.  This post sounded like it was from a student and to make fun of someone when you don't know of their circumstances is cruel.  Possibly you didn't think of it that way so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2005, 05:25:00 PM »
On 2005-12-12 12:37:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

Whoever you are that wrote this I would like you to know that I think it was very mean,vicious, and hurtful to make fun of someone's spelling.  This post sounded like it was from a student and to make fun of someone when you don't know of their circumstances is cruel.  Possibly you didn't think of it that way so I will give you the benefit of the doubt."

Until very recently everyone who posted on this board was polite, respectful and seemed to share their honest opinions, concerns and experiences at Hyde.  Most recently there are a few people who have been posting in a way that is not very nice, and I ask you to please refrain from all the swearing and insulting other posters.

We have parents, students and faculty posting on this board, and it should continue to be an informative site, not one for insults.  Please help us keep it this way.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2005, 03:16:00 PM »
Who gives a fuck about spelling or grammer on a goddamn fornits board! Get A  FUCKIN LIFE PEOPLE :lol:  :lol:  :lol: speling iz gud fur yur lyfe

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2005, 03:37:00 PM »
Hey...I hate this board as much as the next guy or gal..but that last comment was a little unnecessary.  You should probably get to your next class.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2005, 04:13:00 PM »
On 2005-12-13 12:16:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Who gives a fuck about spelling or grammer on a goddamn fornits board! Get A  FUCKIN LIFE PEOPLE :lol:  :lol:  :lol: speling iz gud fur yur lyfe"

I wonder whether this board has been discovered by some Hyde students and they find this kind of comment entertaining.  If so, I'd hope they'd stop this behavior -- there are distraught parents out there who are using this board to help them make some very important decisions about whether to explore Hyde or pull their kid out.  No one should be playing around like this; this is serious stuff.  

Worst case scenario: This is just another example of the kind of behavior you have to put up with if you choose to enroll at Hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2005, 01:57:00 PM »
word up my nigga, word is life you homey ::unhappy::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2005, 01:59:00 PM »
On 2005-12-14 10:57:00, Anonymous wrote:

"word up my nigga, word is life you homey ::unhappy:: "
Ummmmm, you alright there ?? As in "alright in the head"...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2005, 03:10:00 PM »
I believe that something has happened. I think that the Hyde campus as a whole was made aware of this board, now the staff, students, teachers etc. are throwing their 2 cents in....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2005, 03:22:00 PM »
On 2005-12-14 12:10:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I believe that something has happened. I think that the Hyde campus as a whole was made aware of this board, now the staff, students, teachers etc. are throwing their 2 cents in...."

Well if that is the case it shows what kind of students and staff are at Hyde and I think it is a testimonial to what you will encounter if you go to Hyde.