Author Topic: Dude Where IS My Post about being abducted by the monkey hou  (Read 5100 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Dude Where IS My Post about being abducted by the monkey hou
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2005, 02:13:00 PM »
"From the bottom of any large organization looking up through the ranks, human greed and stupidity look a lot like a conspiracy."
--S. Gilbert

It's not a conspiracy. Publix has better and cheaper stuff than Winn-Dixie because they have product better turnover, more shrewed customers (that's part of how they came to be affluent) and more competent and dedicated staff (cause the shrewd customers demand it). Winn-Dixie gets away w/ selling outdated, putrifying crap because, when it comes down to it, their customers either don't give a shit or don't have a car or both.

But it is a number of large oganizations made up of typically stupid, greedy people.

Why has Monsanto developed seed stock that will not set fruit unless the farm hands spray it w/ a particular patented chemical at the proper time in the growing season? Read up on the term "terminator seed" for a front rown showing of extreme greed and stupidity on all sides of the issue.

One nice thing about getting out of the city is that good, wholesome, natural food will not likely ever be a big problem. People around here who are not too poor to buy prepared meals exclusively are still thrifty enough and prescient enough to patronize the local farmers' markets and roadside stands.

I cannot see how a man of any large degree of humorous perception can ever be religious -- unless he purposely shut the eyes of his mind and keep them shut by force.
--Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2005, 02:31:00 PM »
A conspiracy to make a buck at any cost :question: I like that quote you used btw, but still can't help but question why there are so many inequities.

I'm disturbed by the "franken food" industry myself. I have a friend that had started her own nonprofit where she's teaching low income persons gardening and helping get community gardens started in urban areas. A great start to bringing power back to the people.

Same idea different scam:
http://www.online-literature.com/upton_sinclair/jungle/
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline shady grove

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2005, 04:54:00 PM »
This is cool. (the education/gardening thing). But will it ever be enough to sustain people?

Usually grocery store chains won't even have stores in the inner city anymore.

I remember an article in the DC City Paper a few years ago about Giant foods. The reporter did some digging and actually saw fresher produce being diverted to wealthy suburban stores and the older stuff and leftover going right to the urban areas.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2005, 05:25:00 PM »
On 2005-09-20 13:54:00, shady grove wrote:

This is cool. (the education/gardening thing). But will it ever be enough to sustain people?

Um, well think about that for a minute. Can a food production and distribution system that seems to be breaking down after only around 100 years be called sustainable?

Yeah, I think we could probably survive if we had to go back to the old ways of doing things. But not if we insist on staying piled all on top of each other in cities. I think it's time we took Moe's advice and S P R E A D   O U T ! ! !

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"  Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."
-- Charlie Brown, _Peanuts_ [Charles Schulz]

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2005, 07:58:00 PM »
On 2005-09-20 13:54:00, shady grove wrote:

"This is cool. (the education/gardening thing). But will it ever be enough to sustain people?

It's a start and it's one way for people depending on food stamps to not have the system control them. It's one "asset" the govt can't use as a means test for help. BTW come Oct there may be a 7% cut in food stamps should the govt have it's way.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Withdraw

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2005, 11:13:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: Withdraw on 2005-09-22 22:46 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2005, 11:18:00 PM »
at last a post that makes sense.