Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS ... Low Wages High Turnover for Workers at Pr  (Read 4097 times)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
BREAKING NEWS ... Low Wages High Turnover for Workers at Pr
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 08:45:00 PM »
Yeah , like most industries, negative news moves quick and gets the most attention.  The kids that move on and do well dont rattle the cage much.  Where you working?  My daughter went to SUWS of the carolinas a few years ago.

[ This Message was edited by: TheWho on 2006-05-14 17:46 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 08:55:00 PM »
High child welfare worker turnover rates affect states all over the nation. According to one report by the General Accounting Office, "next to funding, states report that staffing is the most serious issue facing their child welfare systems. In response to an APWA survey, 90 percent of states reported difficulty recruiting and retaining caseworkers" (GAO, 1995).
For example, in the early 1990s Prince William County, Virginia reported a 60 percent turnover rate among child welfare staff. In 1997 Broward County, Florida, reported an 85 percent turnover rate. In 1996 the turnover among Massachusetts Department of Social Services workers was 300 employees per year, with Taunton County reporting 100 percent turnover.

This seems to be prevalent throughout the entire industry!!  We need to figure out a way to increase the base salary or find some incentives to keep these people, our kids and families need them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 09:13:00 PM »
I tell ya!  I agree full heartedly.  I work for Eckerd Youth Alternatives.  They actually have tried different incentives things including bonuses/ raise the base pay a couple times since I've been here -- but, like anyone who works here could tell you ITS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY!  I could make 3-4x more a year in a minimum wage paying job working this many hours.  It is hard making so little though even with not having to worry about housing costs or food 5 days a week - I still have other bills/expenditures that once paid leave me with nothing.  But the killer thing is the HOURS. 120 A WEEK!  I get no break at night, I can't just go off whenever and chill with my friends (what few I actually have time to maintain relationships with), I have to be constantly on guard, I don't even hang out in the closest towns to where I work in case I see some camper on a home visit - so really, I don't even get a break when I'm off (not to mention that when I am off I need to spend hours doing paperwork or planning educational activities for times that the teaching staff aren't covering).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2006, 09:19:00 PM »
This program is actually not to far (geographically) from SUWS of the Carolinas (less than 2 hours I think).  Funny thing is, I interviewed with them before choosing this job way back when.  Their recruiter actually emailed me today asking how things were going with Eckerd.  I'm tired.  The idea behind this job is great.  But I need change. These hours kill.  I actually used to be a very positive and optimistic person... not so much anymore.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2006, 11:30:00 PM »
On 2006-05-14 18:19:00, Anonymous wrote:

"This program is actually not to far (geographically) from SUWS of the Carolinas (less than 2 hours I think).  Funny thing is, I interviewed with them before choosing this job way back when.  Their recruiter actually emailed me today asking how things were going with Eckerd.  I'm tired.  The idea behind this job is great.  But I need change. These hours kill.  I actually used to be a very positive and optimistic person... not so much anymore."

So surrogate parenting sucks, huh? Parents don't get to clock out and recoup either.
I appreciated your comment about it being good 'birth control'.  :lol:  I think all kids should work a minimum of one semester each year of high school in a daycare center with infants and two year olds. Could work a damn sight better than zero tolerance. They could pick up condoms at the door on their way out.
1:12 sure seems a high ratio when working with distressed kids.
24/5, low pay, sounds like a ripe situation for restraints for convenience? What are 'counselors' trained to do when they reached their limit? Are the 'counselors' licensed?
Why don't the kids maintain contact?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2006, 11:36:00 PM »
On 2006-05-14 17:55:00, TheWho wrote:

"
High child welfare worker turnover rates affect states all over the nation. According to one report by the General Accounting Office, "next to funding, states report that staffing is the most serious issue facing their child welfare systems. In response to an APWA survey, 90 percent of states reported difficulty recruiting and retaining caseworkers" (GAO, 1995).

For example, in the early 1990s Prince William County, Virginia reported a 60 percent turnover rate among child welfare staff. In 1997 Broward County, Florida, reported an 85 percent turnover rate. In 1996 the turnover among Massachusetts Department of Social Services workers was 300 employees per year, with Taunton County reporting 100 percent turnover.

This seems to be prevalent throughout the entire industry!!  We need to figure out a way to increase the base salary or find some incentives to keep these people, our kids and families need them.

"

It's not just base pay.  It is also that trained and educated professionals who are sold a bill of goods before they sign on quickly realize that the methods used produce poor results and that the treatment of the patients is unethical and ineffective.  In a matter of days or weeks they begin to see the true nature of the problem and choose to move on to a position that does not compromise their ethics.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2006, 11:39:00 PM »
On 2006-05-14 20:31:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"Now Now Deborah you know I have answered those questions along time ago. Let the anon come to those conclusions on their own.

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
--Friedrich Nietzsche

"

Yes dear, just wondering what, if anything, has changed.
Whadda ya think about teens volunteering in daycare centers?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2006, 12:38:00 AM »
I don't think parents realize just how underqualified the general staff are at these places.

No legitimate psychiatric/hospital/medical facility would hire these people to do anything more than take vital signs.
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2006, 03:24:00 AM »
Why do them for even vitals? You'd think they could afford a decent nursing assistant.

I sure as hell wouldnt want Randal Hinton or anyone with his attitude (or the prevailing attitude of most tough love types it seems) taking vitals or doing triage.

:scared: yeah, we need them telling people with chest pains theyre sissies or people with heatstroke symtpoms to shut up...
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 06:59:00 AM »
I don't know why this sub standard wage surprises anyone.  It starts from the cradle.  Ask a child care provider what they are earning.  They are at minimum wage.  No benefits.  

Guess who's making the big bucks?  The daycare owner.  Someone who has absolutely no interaction with our children.

The lousy warehousing of our kids starts from birth.  ANY time you institutionalize kids, you rarely get quality care providers.

It is a sad, but un-refuted, truth.
quot;The test of the morality of a society is what is does for it\'s children\"

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2006, 08:39:00 AM »
Im just glad people are willing to admit it finally.

Well, relieved people can accept the reality, not so much glad that some of us care for children less than our dogs or automobiles.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2006, 10:13:00 AM »
On 2006-05-15 03:59:00, Truth Searcher wrote:

"I don't know why this sub standard wage surprises anyone.  It starts from the cradle.  Ask a child care provider what they are earning.  They are at minimum wage.  No benefits.  

Guess who's making the big bucks?  The daycare owner.  Someone who has absolutely no interaction with our children.

The lousy warehousing of our kids starts from birth.  ANY time you institutionalize kids, you rarely get quality care providers.

It is a sad, but un-refuted, truth."

Good point, Truth Searcher,

Daycare

School system

YMCA

Social workers

Counselors

If you look you will see that in almost all areas of employment the people who are directly working with the kids are very poorly paid,  this has been a problem for decades and parent teacher groups have been working to turn this around.

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2006, 10:52:00 AM »
"Low pay for entry level positions is to be expected"

ummm... yes thats true if someone is flipping pizzas or burgers .... or cleaning offices ...

But ... when it comes to the care of another human being, I STRONGLY disagree.

You know the old adage .... you get what you pay for.  Well unfortunately it holds true in regard to those who care for children too.

Deitrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2006, 10:55:00 AM »
"Wilderness Quest expects nothing short of complete accountability from our employees, and we value their unique devotion to making an enduring difference in the lives of our students. Along with salaries ranging from $3,750 to $5,000 dollars per month ($45,000 to $60,000 per year) and a benefits package that includes medical, dental, and life insurance coverage, Wilderness Quest offers a support and training structure aimed at maximizing your effectiveness in the field so you can enjoy your lifestyle out of the field."

Offline Truth Searcher

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2006, 11:01:00 AM »
Anon~
From the New York Times:

The salaries paid to child care workers are ''embarrassing,'' said James F. Purcell, executive director of the Council of Family and Child Caring Agencies. He said that ''most of the time no one wants to accept these demanding and difficult jobs'' for such inadequate pay.

''Why should they when the average starting salary for child care workers in our system was $19,151?'' he asked at a public hearing here. ''Why work as a child care worker and risk injury, when you can make more working at Home Depot?''

Full article
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A9649C8B63

Deitrich Bonhoeffer