Author Topic: the seed song  (Read 7045 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
the seed song
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2005, 07:26:00 PM »
It was my junior year, 1976, I was new at the school and and to my knowledge there were only 5 of us from the Seed.  Only once did I ever tell someone I couldn't talk to him because he hadn't been in the Seed.  To this day, I remember the look on his face.  I felt absolutely awful and never said it again to anyone.  

By the time I graduated from Dixie in l977, there were only 3 of us and we all pretty much went our separate ways.  I joined a few clubs, made a few friends and even went on a senior trip to Europe, and had a wonderful time.

Somewhere along the line and pretty quickly, I figured out that I had to live in the real world, and so I adapted.  It serves me well, even today, to be able to adapt to the situations I find myself in.  And I've made some wonderful friends along the way that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ChrisL

• View Profile
    • http://chrislewiscpa.com
the seed song
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2005, 10:08:00 PM »
It took me until about my second year in college right around 1977 to realize that I had to communicate with, share & listen to others in order to grow and become more of a whole person.
I credit going to SPJC (now SPC) with helping me "grow up" I took a number of humanites, writing and communications classes where we worked in groups. I began to realize, slowly, that just because someone was different did not mean there were a bad person, and finally just because a person had adddictions and may have been still struggling with drugs and alcohol did not make them evil. I was married to a functional alcoholic for 22 years and just because I had been sober for that last 14 of them did not mean I cared any less for her, just meant I could not change her...
hris Lewis
Seed 1973 -1975
AA 1991 -

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
the seed song
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2005, 01:01:00 PM »
Wow, Chris, you went to SPJC? When? In around `80 - `82 sometime, Miller Newton started sending Straight staffers and proteges to SPJC. I don't know what kind of messed up things they were teaching or how much of the messed up ideas that showed up in group came from there, but I do suspect some significant influence coming out of that nexus. In around `99 or `00 sometime, we found out that Virgil Newton was actually teaching classes there. A couple of his good old friends from Straight took a binder full of lawsuit docs, newspaper articles and other juicy bits to the personnel dept. Within a week, he'd been let go.

I wonder what's sort of psychology and humanities doctrin they're teaching there now?

I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone, I'm just here for the drugs.
--First Lady, Nancy Reagan at a Just Say No rally

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline ChrisL

• View Profile
    • http://chrislewiscpa.com
the seed song
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2005, 11:55:00 PM »
"Wow, Chris, you went to SPJC? When? "
I went to SPJC from 75 - 77 & then transferred to Emory U to finish a 4 year degree. I took most of my classes at the Clearwater campus, yeah seems stupid now looking at it, I lived 5 minutes away in Pasadena and used to drive US-19 (the "killer" highway) to Clearwater 5 days a week for classes. but the last 1/2 year in 77 I changed my focus to a get a general "associate in Arts" degree so I wound up going my last 6-8 mos in St Pete with just a few  classes in Clearwater. Looking back on one of the creative writing classes I had the proff took "an interest" and even had me over to his house to discuss my writing and I had shared that I had been in the Seed... Now looking back on this years later it is obvious to me he was gay & interested but I was so naive or dare I say "innocent" at the time that he did not make a pass... and I did not realize it at the time. The other class I remember in particular was a communicatons class where we worked in groups and had to give "presentations" on short subjects in front of the class, one of the classes they videotaped our presentations and how we reacted to each other working in groups. I remember that was such a shock for me to see myself "outside of myself", I learned a lot from that class. We had a nutty "survivalist" professor for Anthropology (although that is kind of an oxi-moron eh...) and this guy had us convinced the world was coming to an end in the next two years, the Apocalypse was near and we would be canibals eating each other to survive, this and that all the guys should be having sex with multiple partners and never get married because it was "against the natural laws of survival" He was great, if you wer able to take it with a grain of salt. The Humanities proff I remember was a huge guy (I mean big, large, you know whatever the PC term is these days) and he had an extremely humourous take on the studies of chaucer, and the other classics I seem to remember him being overly focused on the sexual nature & content and the more "base" aspects of human behavior, you know farting, belching, puking etc...

"I wonder what's sort of psychology and humanities doctrine they're teaching there now?"

I hope something with more meaning that's for sure....
hris Lewis
Seed 1973 -1975
AA 1991 -

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
the seed song
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2005, 06:25:00 AM »
I was also at SPJC from 77-79, ended up leaving 1 semester shy of graduation, because I got married and was working full time and aggravated with the head of the program.  My business math teacher and I became friends and I ended up volunteering for years with her as a Girl Scout Leader.  I was the youngest leader in St. Pete at l9.  Funny through my scouting adventure with her, I met a future boss that I ended up working with for 3 years at a fundraiser car wash.  Adapting to real life and making it work for me.

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
the seed song
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2005, 10:24:00 AM »
In around `99 or `00 sometime, we found out that Virgil Newton was actually teaching classes there. A couple of his good old friends from Straight took a binder full of lawsuit docs, newspaper articles and other juicy bits to the personnel dept. Within a week, he'd been let go.

DAMN! I missed it!  I graduated in mid '97 and went off to FU... I mean UF :smile: ),  A cursory glance at the public records shows there was a mortgage handed from Kim to George Felos (Mike Schiavos Attorney) in 1993 - probably siblings.  

Just my $0.02 - but it seemed pretty normal to me.
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline South Plantation

• View Profile
the seed song
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2005, 07:24:00 AM »
The seed indeed is all you need,
To stay off the pot, and the pills, and the weed,
We come each day from 10 to 10,
And if we screw up, we start again.

Junkies and Freaks throughout the land,
Join our family hand in hand,
Working together from morning to night,
To help the losers see the light.

Offline CherylL

• View Profile
the seed song
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »
Back in my day every night ended with Jingle Bells because (and someone had to scream this at the top of their lungs) EVERY DAY WE STRAIGHT IS JUST LIKE CHRISTMAS - or something close to that...

Funny thing is - Jingle Bells was written for Thanksgiving, not Christmas! :wave:
heryl L
Seedling 1972-1974

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
the seed song
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2006, 11:00:00 PM »
And a big welcome to you, Cheryl!

Tell us a little about your time in the seed.  It seems like you were involved quite a long time.

:wave:

Offline CherylL

• View Profile
the seed song
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2006, 08:20:00 PM »
I went in because I was a young teenager smoking pot and taking some pills.  I have to admit that I had a bit of an attitude problem and I was NOT going to be pushed into doing something I didn't want to do - at least for a while.  I took about twice the usual time to move from one phase to the next, like my 14 days turned into about 30ish.  I actually couldn't wait to go back to school!

Because Cooper City had so many seed kids, a lot of them the people that I knew before the Seed, we all kept each other "straight" (fear was a great motivator) but independent of each other, we all kinda went back to our old ways during the summer between 10th & 11th grade (1974) so most of our inhibitions about each other mostly evaporated.

I never saw or heard of any physical abuse and I was surprised to read about on this forum, but I've got to admit I was not shocked by it.  Mental abuse, well - that is pretty much a given wasn't it?  I never realized until now how much I've forgotten about the place and my time there.  I barely remember anyone except my circle of friends and those are rather sketchy as well.  A girl named Suzy lived with my family for six months or so and aside from her having red hair; I really don't remember anything else about her.  I'll never know how my time there changed me, but I do have problems dealing with unpleasantries as I tend to shut down rather than confront them - God knows at the Seed, you eventually learned how to fly under the radar or learned to deal with the consequences.

This Straight, Inc. place reminds me of what happened at Abu Gharib prison.  I am sure that they started out with the best of intentions ? to get kids off drugs, but when there isn?t anyone willing or able to stand up when the line is crossed, well that line keeps getting further and further away.  I consider myself ?lucky? that I was in and out of the Seed before things really went south, and those nut-job do-gooders got involved.

When I think back on really how young I was when I was getting stoned on a daily basis and then I consider my nieces and (step)grandchildren current age, I am pretty well amazed.  I have nieces that range in age from 12 to 16, my granddaughter is 13 and my grandson is 12.  I would NOT be happy to think any of them doing drugs even though I thought I was well old enough to handle whatever came my way back then.  I do not blame my parents in anyway for putting me in there because they were doing what they thought best for my future, and in light of what society was at that time that smoking pot was the first step on the slippery slope to becoming a junkie.  Dragnet was not long out of production in 1972 and that is where most of my parent?s generation got their information from.

Funnily enough though, I may not remember much of the people and events from way back when ? I do remember that an oz was $20. and I bought my ciggies for $0.50 a pack out of the machine back then!  

See ya,
heryl L
Seedling 1972-1974