Author Topic: Is there any relationship between Synanon and Daytop ??  (Read 25654 times)

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
Is there any relationship between Synanon and Daytop ??
« on: September 05, 2005, 03:05:00 AM »
i was in str8 85-87 and i am wonderin' if Daytop is/was an offshoot of Synanon.  Does anyone have an answer ??  Any information anyone can provide on this subject is greatly appreciated.

i am also wonderin' if any Daytop staff or former clients were ever on staff at the Seed in FLA.  Does anyone know ??
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Is there any relationship between Synanon and Daytop ??
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 07:18:00 PM »
Daytop proudly acknowledges that its roots are in Synanon. Daytop's founder--Monsignor O'Brien modeled his program after the Synanon  "treatment"(gag) modality. Things like encounter groups and the Daytop lingo are taken from Synanon. If you look on Daytop's website, you will see Daytop giving credit to Synanon. Daytop staff, during "therapeutic community training" watch videos that detail Daytop's history, including odes to Synanon.

Offline Magnificent

• View Profile
Re: Is there any relationship between Synanon and Daytop ??
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:41:55 PM »
As a former staff from Daytop I can tell you that they did share the history and connection to Synanon.  The conection was simply that the model was utiltized to develope what Daytop would be but it wasn't a deal where they walked around talking about Synanon in fact it was stressed that Synanon broke a lot of rules and became a cult.  The Florida program did have some NY staff who went to help get it started but I'm not sure what all happened with those people I've been gone for some time.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:52:44 PM »
Quote from: "Magnificent"
Synanon broke a lot of rules and became a cult.

You speak of this as if it was some accident.  Dedirich knew full well what he was doing and designed the components of his program to break people down and build them up in his image and ideology.  The same thing happens at other programs that use their methods, regardless of whether or not that was the intent to begin with.  Study after study has revealed that the confrontational therapy methods used by Synanon and it's derivatives produce lasting harm.  Even Hazelden has long since abandoned such methods.  Do you really think "haircuts" were good for anything other than to produce lasting trauma in a significant portion of participants?
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 10:00:52 PM »
Quote from: "Magnificent"
As a former staff from Daytop I can tell you that they did share the history and connection to Synanon.  The conection was simply that the model was utiltized to develope what Daytop would be but it wasn't a deal where they walked around talking about Synanon in fact it was stressed that Synanon broke a lot of rules and became a cult.  The Florida program did have some NY staff who went to help get it started but I'm not sure what all happened with those people I've been gone for some time.

If I remember correctly, wasn't it David Deitch that came over from Synanon to help light a fire, so to speak, under operations at Daytop? I don't think Synanon was yet recognized as a cult (back then); it was still receiving government funding and in fact, had a branch in the New York City area and, for a time, also in Connecticut.

There were a few TCs started in the metropolitan New York area in the early 60s; I might be off by a few years, but I seem to recall that Daytop was one, and Phoenix House was another. I also seem to recall that Art Barker (later of The Seed) was allegedly living in Brooklyn or the Bronx during that same time period.

Early on, either Daytop or Phoenix House, or both, worked out a deal with the city whereby men convicted of non-lethal crimes involving alcohol or drugs were given the option of doing their time at the TC instead of jail. I was wondering, do you know whether Barker was in such a situation and availed himself of TC time instead of jail-time? He was reputed to be somewhat of a rabble-rouser back then.

One last question:

"The Florida program did have some NY staff who went to help get it started but I'm not sure what all happened with those people I've been gone for some time."[/list]
    Are you saying that Daytop specifically did send people down to The Seed program in Florida to help them get started? Do you know whether any other TC, e.g., Phoenix House or Synanon or Gaudenzia (Philly), or any other government programs also did so?

thnx
    -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
      • Secret Prisons for Teens
    « Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 03:04:30 AM »
    For a start read Daytops own history page:

In the 1950's, the public attitude was "once an addict, always an addict." Neither jail nor hospital stays seemed to make a bit of difference to an addicted person. Father O'Brien started researching other means of treating addiction. One of the places he looked at was Synanon. In 1958, Charles Dederich, himself a recovering alcoholic, started Synanon as a community of recovering people. This system was based on group encounters and addicts confronting each other, demanding self-revelation and responsibility.

Concurrent with Father O'Brien's search, a group of learned men from the Brooklyn Court system was on a similar quest.  Dr. Alexander Bassin, Chief Researcher for the Kings County Supreme Court Probation Department, was perturbed by the disheartening results of turnstile sentences given to addicts. Dr. Bassin's strength of purpose spurred his boss, Joseph Shelly; criminologist Herbert A. Block; and Dr. Dan Casriel, a consulting psychiatrist with the Brooklyn Court, to a nationwide search for an effective response to the addicts who showed up in their courtrooms. They also saw possibilities in Synanon.

By a fortuitous turn of fate, Father O'Brien and Dr. Casriel chose the same day to visit the Synanon intake center in Westport, Connecticut. What they saw there convinced them that they were on the right track.

From Wikipedia's page about Synanon there is a chapter called Lasting influence on the behavior modification industry where this link is placed.

I believe that Daytop's program is developed from Synanon just like CEDU's but in another direction. It is the same as with languages. People speak German, Danish, Swedish etc. but if they travel around in their own country they have difficulties understanding what their countryman tells them, but it is still their native lauguage which is spoken.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 10:13:18 PM »
    The Origins of the Drug-Free Therapeutic Community
    Frederick B. Glaser, M.D., F.R.C.P.(C) 1
     1 Addiction Research Foundation, 33 Russell Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 2S1
    ABSTRACT
    In this paper an attempt is made to trace the origins of the drug-free therapeutic community. Virtually all such programmes in North America may be traced to Synanon, which in turn may readily be traced back through Alcoholics Anonymous to the so-called Oxford Group. At this point the line of evolution becomes less evident. But an examination of various aspects of the background and career of Dr. Frank Buchman, founder of the Oxford Group, suggests a strong link with the Protestant Reformation and, through it, with the forms and practices of primitive Christianity as embodied in the Dead Sea Scrolls. It is suggested that the present-day therapeutic community is only the most recent reincarnation of a particular type of religious organization which dates from at least the Intertestamentary Period. http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour ... 1&SRETRY=0

(In search of an essential TC)”…traces a conceptual and organizational lineage of the modern TC programs beginning with the Oxford Group circa 1921,(Also named the Buchmanites or Moral Rearmament MRA,the final name to AA )  Synanon circa 1958 and Daytop Village circa 1963.
    In the period of 1964-1971 TC programs were rapidly spawned directly and indirectly from Synanon and Daytop Village (including: Gatewood house, Gaudenzia, Marathon House, Odyssey House, Phoenix House, Samaritan and Walden House.

http://books.google.com/books?id=q7zlo_ ... &resnum=10
    “A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 03:35:29 PM »
    http://www.weblo.com/property/real_esta ... Halloween/
    “You can’t keep it unless you give it away”. I guess that goes for candy too.
    Common Ground is a chimerical form of Daytop.  In this strain Halloween not only does exist, they celebrate it without calling it “Gaudenzia”. ::evil::
    “A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 07:04:58 PM »
    In the begining there was Synnanon AND DAYTOP BEGAT ELAN....
    http://www.bykevingray.com/stories/stor ... badcompany
    An excerpt from Kevin Gray's article is as follows:
    Once upon a time, when a very different Lord of the Flies haunted the classroom.

On a February morning in 1979, deep in the piney woods of Maine, 20-year-old Liz Arnold watched as a houseful of teens berated a weeping girl who'd just wet her pants. The girl's name was Kim. She was 17. Moments before, she'd been spanked with a paddle in front of the 100 fellow delinquents and drug addicts—more than two thirds of them men—who made up the student body of the Elan School, a therapeutic community of last resort that, during its seventies heyday, may have been something far from therapeutic.

As the residents surged over the scuffed linoleum of the dining room, knocking over metal chairs, Kim curled into a ball. "You fucking bitch, fucking whore, fucking fuck-up!” Kim was enduring a "learning experience." She'd mouthed off to the school's senior residents, and at Elan in the seventies, this was the response. But the lesson was getting out of hand. "[We] were whipped into a mob," says Arnold, an ex-speed addict who'd arrived at Elan in 1978 after a phony suicide attempt forced her affluent Ridgewood, New Jersey, parents to seek professional help. "It was brainwashing. People like Kim were gonna be junkies or hookers if we didn't make them get their shit together." Arnold soon added her voice to the eardrum-breaking sound of 100 young adults caught up in the adrenaline rush of anger. To an outsider, it must have looked like mad­ness, a Lord of the Flies outpost with castaways who were regularly dressed in tinfoil, diapers, and "hooker" skirts. Some had signs around their necks that read: I’M AN EMOTIONAL VAMPIRE or ASK ME WHY I’M A BABY or CONFRONT ME AS TO WHY I’M A WHORE. All were red with rage. "Kim," Arnold recalls, "was semi-catatonic."

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 12:03:36 PM »
    Is there any relationship between Synanon and Daytop ?  Is the Pope Catholic?

http://books.google.com/books?id=O4l7yR ... =2#PPA4,M1

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 02:24:08 AM »
    AND SPAWN ANON AND ON...
    DAVID A. DEITCH, Ph.D., a Clinical and Social Psychologist, is currently Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at the University of California, San Diego, and Director of the Addiction Training Center. Dr. Deitch has 40 years experience in the development of drug abuse treatment systems for adolescents and adults, nationally and internationally. In the non-profit public health sector, he was Co-Founder of Daytop Village, Inc., and also served as Senior Vice President and Chief Clinical Officer for Phoenix House's Foundation.

http://www.phoenixhouse.org/National/Ab ... Staff.html

(related)
    www.kap.samhsa.gov/products/manuals/tcc ... dule02.pdf

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 03:14:03 AM »
    And spawn Anon and on:

Casriel (- Psychiatric consultant to the Synanon Foundation, August 1962 to June 1964) also created the humbly named:
    The Casriel Institute : the treatment and training facility for the new identity group process and theory.

Germany has made a home for the concept http://www.dan-casriel-institut.de/

Casriel on his AREBA project: [Exhibit Xo. 14 (d)]
    AREBA, Inc., A Humanizing Process for the Family of Man

Introducing AREBA, A New Concept in Rehabilitating Drug Addicts
    AND Other Emotionally Disturbed People

A new psychotherapeutic treatment program for middle-class and upper- class adolescents and adults — designed for severely character disordered personalities who do not need a sustained 3-year program to get well

In 9 months — the time it takes to conceive and give birth to a baby — AREBA can reprogram a person toward in-the-world behavioral and emotional health.

At highly successful Daytop Village,3 years used to be required to rehabilitate an addict, but today, new techniques have reduced the time to a year and a half.{Unless you’ve got good insurance coverage for your problem child, then hell we’ll just keep them indefinitely, raise them for you? }
    Now, Psychiatrist Dan Casriel and Ron Brancato, former director of program at Daytop, have utilized their experience to establish a new kind of program for middle-class emotionally disturbed people.

Frankly, AREBA is a hard-nosed program that isn't easy.At least, at the beginning. When people have been in AREBA a few weeks, they usually start to like it  ?  and to develop an esprit de corps about AREBA.

The program starts by telling newcomers to stop acting out their symptoms. Immediately. Then, it goes to work on the distorted feelings and defeatist attitudes which have caused the symptoms to exist in the first place.

AREBA makes people face the truth about themselves, find out who they are, and grapple with how they feel inside. At the same time, it trains people to function in the world in which they must live.

The AREBA program is designed to treat people whose emotional problems prevent them from functioning effectively and responsibly within the boundaries of normal society. There are no rigid age restrictions. AHERA is structured for focus on the problems of both adolescents and adults. AKEBA is based on the principle that psychiatric treatment alone is not enough to rehabilitate an infantile neurotic or character-disordered personality — who, invariably, does not know how to function. The program is designed to help an individual in two ways: (1) to provide psychotherapeutic treatment to help him express and under-
    stand distorted feelings and self-defeating attitudes ; and ( 2 ) to provide step- by-step guidance about how to function more effectively in the world.

The program has been founded and structured by Psychiatrist Daniel Casriel and Ron Brancato, former director of program of Daytop Village. It is realistic, tough minded, and extraordinarily effective. Study the schedule following and see for yourself why AREBA is different from other approaches you may have read about. I did and it's not. (Except that it’s an accelerated version)

The AREBA program lasts 9 months, and consists of three distinctly different
    phases of personal growth.

Phase I — First four months, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

At the start, a young person is immersed in a 24-hour-a-day structured discipline. For example, he arises at 7:30 a.m., immediately begins to clean his room and eats breakfast. Then, his day continues with meetings, seminars, group therapy sessions (held every day), and specific work responsibilities. Every
    hour of the individual's time is programmed. He interacts with others during free time, and is accountable for everything he says and does. Special "probes" (lasting 8 to 12 hours) explore self-defeating attitude patterns. "Marathons" (30-hour extended group-therapy sessions) are aimed at breaking down emotional defenses, and getting members of AREBA in contact with gut-level feelings.

Phase II — Fifth month through seventh month

In the next phase of treatment, a young person starts to attend school a?ain.
    Or, if he is through with school, he goes to work outside of the AREBA community. He is encouraged to apply what he has been learning in phase I training. Hut he continues to live in the AREBA community, and continues to be involved in Dr. Casriel's new identity groups, probes, marathons, etc. In therapeutic sessions, the emphasis is on helping the individual express his fears and anxieties, and helping him learn how to function more effectively in the expanded world to which he is now relating.

Phase III — Eighth and ninth months

In the final phase of treatment, an individual both works and lives outside of
    the AREBA community. His involvement with AREBA is to attend encounter and
    new identity groups three times a week. During these groups, he works on feelings and attitudes which may be preventing him from adjusting healthily to the non-therapeutic "outside world." He also spends time serving as a role model for people entering AREBA for the first time.

Parents get training, too

Throughout the 9-month period, special groups and special counseling are provided for parents of young people who are in the AREBA program. With parents, the emphasis is on establishing a permanently better relationship Between themselves and their offspring.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 05:27:33 AM »
    Where is this AREBA stuff? Its not on your link.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 06:02:54 AM »
    The article above was entered as [Exhibit Xo. 14 (d)]  in the congressional hearings cited and linked on the Narco Farm thread.
    Items submitted included Casriel’s CV and publications: http://www.archive.org/stream/narcotics ... t_djvu.txt
    The http://www.dan-casriel-institut.de/  relates to The Casriel Institute : the treatment and training facility for the new identity group process and theory.

From the site link:
    We see ourselves as a place where
     People can learn to bind and to beziehungsfähig
     are afraid of intimacy and love and to the ability to
     Love to give and to develop.
      Mr. Alber Clinic in the Dr. Ingo Gerstenberg 1975 to 1980 worked under the then chief Dr. Walther Lechler, was a saying,
     has accompanied us:
     "As long as man is not even in the eyes and hearts of his fellow human beings encounter, he is on the run as long as it does not allow his fellow man in his innermost part, there is no security for him.  As long as he is afraid to be understood, he can neither himself nor others recognize
     he will be alone. "(R. Beauvais)
    This is an odd translation of the Daytop philosophy^

Incidentally,
    Richard Beauvais, Co-Founder of
    Wellspring, was honored on
    September 1, 2006 at the World
    Federation of Therapeutic
    Communities [WFTC] Conference
    in NYC for his authorship of “The
    Daytop Philosophy.” The poem,
    written in 1964 when Richard
    worked at Daytop,

Wellspring http://www.wellspring.org/WS_Home.htm And spawn anon and on

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
    Re: it never ends
    « Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 06:14:38 AM »
    The Wellspring Foundation is a multi-service mental health agency that provides intensive residential treatment for children age 6 - 12, adolescent girls age 13 - 18, and adults

Richard Beauvais
    P.O. Box 370
    Bethlehem, CT 06751
    (203)-659-0579
    Their primary focus seems to be children and the girls facility.
    He’s also listed with the The Attachment Disorder Support Group
    http://adsg.syix.com/adsg/therapists/frmain.htm
     ::puke::