Author Topic: Y'all okay in the hurricane path there?  (Read 6392 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Y'all okay in the hurricane path there?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2005, 09:56:00 PM »
Really? Why? I mean, what do you think will happen to all those goodies if the looters leave it lay? The owners would declare it a total loss and collect the insurance. Then they'd take bids from scrappers and wholesalers. So, if some guy takes 10 play stations away on his back, he ought to be shot. WTF do you do to someone who takes tens of thousands using a pen?

Infidel: In New York, one who does not believe in the Christian religion; in Constantinople, one who does.
--Ambrose Bierce

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2005, 09:59:00 PM »
On 2005-08-31 15:25:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Excuse me, "fighting for one's rights" does not include STEALING from a store; and STEALING wide screen TVS at that!!! Give me a fucking break!"

No, I said fighting for survival. And I meant on a day to day basis, not just since this past weekend. What would you do, really? If you were dirt poor and there's all this stuff laying around. You know somebody's gonna turn over whatever is worth bending down to pick up. And odds are slim to none that it'll be the rightful owner. You're telling me you'd just walk right past it and report to the welfare office?

That which does not kill you can make you stronger, but I really never needed to be this strong.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/5580/straight.html' target='_new'>Scott Wagner

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2005, 10:21:00 PM »
No one should be shooting ANYBODY...and that includes the policemen who have the JOB of trying to keep some kind of order in this mess.

But these LOOTERS did not just "walk by" and see Wide Screen TVS, expensive Tennis Shoes, PLAY STATIONS etc...just  laying about--they busted into stores and STOLE THEM!

NO ONE BLAMES anybody for taking food, water, diapers etc....but blantantly stealing stuff they don't need is OUTRIGHT STEALING.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2005, 10:46:00 PM »
I'd loot a pharmacy and within a week I'd have all the wide-screen TVs and Playstations I wanted.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2005, 02:08:00 AM »
I am puking sick tonight. One of those wretched headaches and poisoned-feeling sicknesses, when every thought is another worry and puking actually makes me feel better. It is my own life I am sick about, and also I am sick with concern about what is happening down south. I've been homeless before, and I was thinking "what if I was homeless right now, feeling like this?" What if I didn't have bottled water to drink to get better. What if I had no facilities, or if I was living out of my car at a rest stop or on some dark street? I might just die. I might just lie there and be sick.

I have not been watching the television. I asked a cashier tonight if she had been watching the news on New Orleans, and she told me about people dying who had crawled up into their attics to escape the rising flood and drowned. Another cashier told me about dogs on rooftops, barking for someone to rescue them, but no one can, they are turning away the animal rescue groups, I presume for logistical and safety reasons. Check out http://http://www.noahswish.com/

There are different ways to be homeless. Myself I always had a car to sleep in. It is why I now have a mini-van, and might always have a car big enough to stretch out in. I am wondering about tent camps, like old time travellers had, big canvas tents a person could really live in. That was one thing about being homeless, the whole lack of privacy and the complications of the basic details like food storage, showering, and finding facilities. Then there was the deprivation, a person can't cook, can't listen to music except at the expense of the car radio, or batteries I guess. Making a telephone call becomes an errand that can take an hour, and the telephone is vital to connecting with the resources that can get a person into housing and a job or connect with relatives and friends.

I would like to envision as little deprivation as possible. I am thinking about tent camps, and how to make them really livable and not miserable deprivation. Camping can be fun because you can read by flashlight, you can make jokes and ghost stories, there is firelight and candlelight and the sounds of locusts and crickets. Music is really important, I wish there could be musicians in the camps, that really can heal a tired spirit.

There are also ingenious things out there like composting toilets, bicycle-powered washing machines, and lest anyone forget, solar power! Check out http://http://www.realgoods.com/. Many needs and comforts can be met.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2005, 08:57:00 AM »
News reporting that entire gun dept. at Walmart looted.

Shots fired at helicopters from Superdome.

WTF?  

This ain't excusable.  No reason to shoot at the folks trying to help.  None at all.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2005, 08:58:00 AM »
Also, heard that a truck loaded with supplies for patients at a hospital was held up at gun point.

Fucking stupid!

Offline str8tohell

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2005, 09:04:00 AM »
Looting electronics seems a bit pointless since they aren't gonna have power for months. Not to mention most of their homes are under many feet of water. What's more where?s the real harm? Every store owner will be protected by their insurance (required ins.) Also the business owners having had the means are long gone from there, they wont be back for quite a while. There are possibly thousands dead, and there are close to 500,000 people homeless, nobody should be worrying about their god damn profit margin. The tent city idea is unfortunately very likely to happen. I think it would be a great good idea for those who will be forced to live like that to get any tools that will make their lives easier. Camping  in the south coastal areas can be hellish at this time of year. Disease will run rampant in a section of the population that can least withstand it. NOLA has some of the poorest populations in the nation. I spent many years living in 9th ward hell there. Many of these people have never been out of the city before. Parts of N.O. barely resemble the America that most people know. It's going to make everything much more difficult. Some of these people have spent their whole lives struggling to barely get by, and now what little thay had worked for is gone. I think tempers will be high. We will be very lucky if all the violence is restricted to a little theft. Hell there are armed marauding gangs in NOLA at the best of times. Having said all that if there is anybody out there who has just escaped please let me know if there is anything that I can do to lend a hand.

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2005, 09:29:00 AM »
On 2005-08-31 19:21:00, Anonymous wrote:

"No one should be shooting ANYBODY...and that includes the policemen who have the JOB of trying to keep some kind of order in this mess.

But these LOOTERS did not just "walk by" and see Wide Screen TVS, expensive Tennis Shoes, PLAY STATIONS etc...just  laying about--they busted into stores and STOLE THEM!

NO ONE BLAMES anybody for taking food, water, diapers etc....but blantantly stealing stuff they don't need is OUTRIGHT STEALING."

Perhaps there is no more food, water, and diapers to steal so the next best option is to steal big ticket items. A person can steal TVs and such and travel out of the area to sell it to get money to go to a hotel out of town or buy food and water out of town.

My coworker just told me that hotels in FLA are going for $199 a night. What about the buisness owners taking advantage of people suffering by ripping them off? How about those $5 gas prices down in ATL? If someone has no money to get the hell out of that place what do you suggest they do?

When Michigan had a blackout 2 years ago I was not prepared with enough food and water. By the time I left work the gas staions were out of gas and there was no liquid anything to buy at the stores. We could not drink our water and I spent a big part of my night driving around looking for at least some juice to purchase.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2005, 09:55:00 AM »
are you aware that NOLA is surrounded by water! Anybody who had a way to get out left. There are very few ways left to get out of the city. The 27 mile bridge is in pieces as are most of the other highways. New Orleans is basically an island. People are being bussed out on secure routes or helicoptered out. They are not stacking up electronics where there could be passage for people. 'Hm... you know I could get my mother , kids, and wife out, but on thinking about it I'll just go and loot myself a couple of t.v.'s and take those instead. You know maybe once I get out of the area I'll get some cash for them. Hell, if I take enough of them maybe I could spend the night at the Ritz-Carlton when I get to Houston.'    Anybody who is looting is doing it because they think that they'll just wait it out.  This is not a little black out, it is not going to be okay in a few days. Many of these people have seen their friends and families die while they could do nothing about it. And yes it is the poor and disaffected who are going to be the most devastated by this. Anybody with any money secured a way out long before the storm hit. Lawlessness is to be expected and why not. Fuck those peoples T.V.'s. They will be pulling  dead friends and family out of the swamp and rubble for months to come. Again who cares if t.v.'s are stolen. The worry of lost money pales in comparison to the real loss of life.

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »
On 2005-09-01 06:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

"are you aware that NOLA is surrounded by water! Anybody who had a way to get out left. There are very few ways left to get out of the city. The 27 mile bridge is in pieces as are most of the other highways. New Orleans is basically an island. People are being bussed out on secure routes or helicoptered out. They are not stacking up electronics where there could be passage for people. 'Hm... you know I could get my mother , kids, and wife out, but on thinking about it I'll just go and loot myself a couple of t.v.'s and take those instead. You know maybe once I get out of the area I'll get some cash for them. Hell, if I take enough of them maybe I could spend the night at the Ritz-Carlton when I get to Houston.'    Anybody who is looting is doing it because they think that they'll just wait it out.  This is not a little black out, it is not going to be okay in a few days. Many of these people have seen their friends and families die while they could do nothing about it. And yes it is the poor and disaffected who are going to be the most devastated by this. Anybody with any money secured a way out long before the storm hit. Lawlessness is to be expected and why not. Fuck those peoples T.V.'s. They will be pulling  dead friends and family out of the swamp and rubble for months to come. Again who cares if t.v.'s are stolen. The worry of lost money pales in comparison to the real loss of life."

Yes, I am aware of the seriousness of the situation and yes people are still getting out of the area. I had a call at work yesterday and several families from Mississippi are on their way to Michigan with nothing but the clothes on their backs and they are seeking shelter and help up here. If they want to grab some TVs on the way to later get cash for them well more power to them.

Also it makes sense for people that are waiting it out to be stealing things. Why should they have to be broke with no resources when the water is gone?
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2005, 01:46:00 PM »
Some years ago, I took my kids on a tour of the GoodYear blimp hanger in Pompano. They guy giving the presentation mentioned that, every time they overflew the Orange Bowl (now JR Stadium, I think) in Overtown, they got shot at. Fortunately, a few little bullet holes won't take down a blimp. But he pointed out a couple of visible patches. Those were the lucky shots. Usually those crack heads miss entirely.

Evidently, even under normal circumstances, people who live in desperate poverty will take a pot shot or two at any target that presents.

I'm really surprised at all the outrage and condemnation. It's asif eveybody expects (takes for granted?) that a crisis will melt away all the usual human flaws and frailties and bring out the best in every one. Not so, folks! Yeah, it's nice when the lights go out for a few hours to have a chance to shoot the shit w/ neighbors who normally never bother to stop and talk. I actually miss those regular outages we used to enjoy in Florida for just that reason. But you can't really count on everybody becoming saintly just because the shit hit the fan. In fact, I would imagine there's a good deal of grudge settling going on along w/ the looting and such.

People are, after all, still people.

The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization.
--Sigmund Freud

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2005, 01:55:00 PM »
On 2005-09-01 10:46:00, Antigen wrote:

"Some years ago, I took my kids on a tour of the GoodYear blimp hanger in Pompano. They guy giving the presentation mentioned that, every time they overflew the Orange Bowl (now JR Stadium, I think) in Overtown, they got shot at. Fortunately, a few little bullet holes won't take down a blimp. But he pointed out a couple of visible patches. Those were the lucky shots. Usually those crack heads miss entirely.

Evidently, even under normal circumstances, people who live in desperate poverty will take a pot shot or two at any target that presents.

I'm really surprised at all the outrage and condemnation. It's asif eveybody expects (takes for granted?) that a crisis will melt away all the usual human flaws and frailties and bring out the best in every one. Not so, folks! Yeah, it's nice when the lights go out for a few hours to have a chance to shoot the shit w/ neighbors who normally never bother to stop and talk. I actually miss those regular outages we used to enjoy in Florida for just that reason. But you can't really count on everybody becoming saintly just because the shit hit the fan. In fact, I would imagine there's a good deal of grudge settling going on along w/ the looting and such.

People are, after all, still people.

The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization.
--Sigmund Freud

"

Hey Antigen....You mentioned living in Florida and the Goodyear blimp hanger in Pompano,        ( which I drive by at least 2-3 times a week ). Are you still in Florida???

Ministers say that they teach charity. That is natural. They live on hand-outs. All beggars teach that others should give.
--Robert G. Ingersoll, American politician and lecturer

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2005, 02:17:00 PM »
On 2005-09-01 10:55:00, DOC SLOW wrote:

Hey Antigen....You mentioned living in Florida and the Goodyear blimp hanger in Pompano,        ( which I drive by at least 2-3 times a week ). Are you still in Florida???

No, we moved to SW Pa about 3 years ago. I used to love that little stretch of unincorporated I-95, though. When I was a kid, it was the unoffically designated drag racing spot. Now it's the favorite blunt ride. Still a nice stretch of road, though. Are those bent trees still there? I can't remember the name of the storm that bent them. But those were always an interesting feature.

All religions have been made by men.
--Napoleon Bonaparte, French emperor

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2005, 02:27:00 PM »
Still in tact...they faired the last few hurricanes fortunately...However with all the development going on down here the landscape is constantly changing.....But for now " PARTY ON "

Every sensible man, every honorable man, must hold the Christian sect in horror.
--Francois Marie Arouet "Voltaire", French author and playwright