Author Topic: Y'all okay in the hurricane path there?  (Read 6436 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Y'all okay in the hurricane path there?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 03:06:00 PM »
Considering the state of affairs in Mississippi before the huricane (meaning high rates of poverty and institutionalized racism) I'm understanding why many are taking advantage of an opportunity for civil disobediance. Maybe this will wake people up that things need to change for the better. Sometimes extreme measures are necessary to fight for one's rights.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 03:40:00 PM »
Right on! again.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Mister Pink

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 03:45:00 PM »
Since when is a buncha niggers looting business's considered civil disobedience?!?!

MLK would be rolling in his grave

if it weren't under four feet of water
quot;Its a shame the way she makes me scrub the floor\" - Bob Dylan

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 04:16:00 PM »
On 2005-08-31 12:45:00, Mister Pink wrote:

"Since when is a buncha niggers looting business's considered civil disobedience?!?!

"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 04:18:00 PM »
On 2005-08-31 12:45:00, Mister Pink wrote:

"Since when is a buncha niggers looting business's considered civil disobedience?!?!

"

Apparently you do not fully understand institutionalized racism or oppression on a large scale.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2005, 04:35:00 PM »
In light of the unfoldin' sufferin' bein' endured down in N'Orle'n my heart goes out to all the people.  They are all my brothers 'n' sisters.  God bless the rescuers.  Let love and compassion be our light.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2005, 04:48:00 PM »
Ok, here's the funny part. Yesterday, I was stuck all day in a hospital. So I saw the same news reels over and over. Don't worry, everyone's ok. Just had to give someone a ride home after a dx proceedure and, well, liability concerns dictate making the pt hang around a few extra hours.

Anyway, two interviews stuck out in my mind. First was a black guy who's wife was lost in the flooding. I got exactly the same gut feeling listening to him that I did listening to that woman from SC who drowned her kids. I just came away thinking "OMG, that dude killed his wife and just damned near confessed to it on national TV!" Then, about the 3rd time through, I spoted something fairly concrete. When the reporter asked him where his wife was, he said "Oh, they'll never find her body, she's gone." I wonder how that will turn out.

The other one that had me LOL was a white guy in Mississippi. Reporter asked him why he wasn't evacuating. He started talking about the looting and stuff that usually goes on after a big storm. As he was describing the scene, he was smiling more and more and finished with a grin saying "I want to be around for that!" No shit! He said it outright! I wanna hang around for the looting!  :rofl:

But I don't really think the uncivil or dissobedient poor people on the Gulf are trying to make a political point so much as they're just trying to survive and/or possibly take advantage of providence to score some valuable swag if they can.

Of course we don't care as much about ppl in Iraq as we do about ppl in NOLA. We've never been to Iraq, can't even understand the language in their newspapers, we know those ppl have been fighting for keeps for centuries and, frankly, they're not us. To my mind, all that together means that we should mind our own damned business and stay the hell out of theirs.

But I think that most Americans simply can't fathom (on commerical breaks.... those that are not really entertaining productions, anyway) how our taxes and our apathy has contributed to the current troubled circumstances in the region. And any attempt to discuss the issue with a mind toward turning off the damned hydrant before (or in addition to) bailing is seen as anti-American. As a rule, most people just don't think globally or historically. Those who do wind up fat and happy from it and so wouldn't want to change things.

It's a vicious cycle.

The optimist thinks that this is the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist knows it.
--  J. Robert Oppenheimer

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2005, 05:22:00 PM »
On 2005-08-31 13:48:00, Antigen wrote:

"Of course we don't care as much about ppl in Iraq... frankly, they're not us.
"

You are, of course entitled to your opinion Ant. but i have to disagree with you here.  Those people in Iraq are "us".  We are all brothers and sisters in the same human family.  Our languages, customs, and ways of life may differ but we are all essentially taking part in the same struggle.  The differences between us are only conditional. We all mourn our dead.  We all suffer in ignorance.  We all want to be loved.

Your comment is indicative of a de-humanizin' mentality which only serves oppression.

This is not a personal attack on you, i am only expressin' my opinion.

Peace.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2005, 05:25:00 PM »
Apparently you do not fully understand institutionalized racism or oppression on a large scale.

.................... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2005, 05:30:00 PM »
Antigen: I had the exact same thought: "Dang, that man killed his poor wife!!" My husband just stared at my jaded butt as if I was crazy or something....but, that WAS my first thought.

Think we might be seeing more of him...his name was "HARVEY," just like we did Miss Susan Smith after she drown those babies of hers.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2005, 06:13:00 PM »
On 2005-08-31 14:30:00, Anonymous wrote:

" My husband just stared at my jaded butt as if I was crazy or something. "

My ex-wife was real crazy too....I got to where I never even looked at her butt, you're lucky, better get it while you can.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2005, 06:15:00 PM »
On 2005-08-31 14:22:00, starry-eyed pirate wrote:

"

On 2005-08-31 13:48:00, Antigen wrote:

"Of course we don't care as much about ppl in Iraq... frankly, they're not us.

"

You are, of course entitled to your opinion Ant. but i have to disagree with you here.  Those people in Iraq are "us".  We are all brothers and sisters in the same human family.  Our languages, customs, and ways of life may differ but we are all essentially taking part in the same struggle.  The differences between us are only conditional. We all mourn our dead.  We all suffer in ignorance.  We all want to be loved.

Your comment is indicative of a de-humanizin' mentality which only serves oppression.

This is not a personal attack on you, i am only expressin' my opinion.

Peace.

"

Oh, de nada my good friend! I didn't take it personally at all. In fact, I agree w/ you in theory. Logically, I know we're all made out of the same stuff and equally valuable. In practice, though, we don't know Iraqis. Our histories and social norms, though intertwined, are divergent. We can't relate very well to what they do and think and what motivates them.

And it IS important! There's a reason why, going all the way back to the days of John Locke, we insist on a jury of our peers for criminal trials; because only people who share our own views and priorities are fit to judge our acts in the context of the circumstance. In one part of America, it may alright to put down a sick dog, so long as you own it, and bury it in your back yard. In another, a random dozen of your neighbors might condemn such an act, unless a vet did the deed for you.

So we can't understand people who live on the other side of the planet well enough to judge them, let alone to sort out their problems for them. I think it takes great umbrage to even think that li'll ol'e America is going to take charge and babysit the civilizations of the East.

The ppl of the Gulf Coast, otoh, are not just our brothers and sisters in the sense that all of mankind or all of life are. They're really our direct responsibility. No one else in the world is better able than us to take care of their immediate corporal needs as well as the need for law-n-order.

Think of Harvey. What if it turns out he was already suspected by the ppl who know him and is investigated for his wife's dissapearance? Should he be tried by Texans or by mulahs from Afghanistan? That's what I mean when I say they're not us. It follows naturally that we're also not them.

Lighthouses are more helpful then churches.
--Benjamin Franklin, American Founding Father, author, and inventor

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2005, 06:25:00 PM »
Excuse me, "fighting for one's rights" does not include STEALING from a store; and STEALING wide screen TVS at that!!! Give me a fucking break!

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2005, 06:55:00 PM »
cool, Ant.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2005, 09:20:00 PM »
Shot the looters on sight.

Food you pass, 10 play stations, you die!