Author Topic: Farewell to the sadistic pleasures of Brat Camp  (Read 13981 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Farewell to the sadistic pleasures of Brat Camp
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2005, 04:40:00 PM »
I wonder if any of these kids knew or have since learned about the teens who lost their lives while participating in a wilderness therapy camp?  Kids like Ian August, Michelle Sutton, Kristen Chase who died while on a forced hike?  Sadly, it appears nobody wants to talk about these dead kids.  How they died and why.  Not the industry nor the parents who support it. Why?  These deaths were all preventable.  None of these kids had to come home in a body bag.  

Worse still, if wilderness therapy is any safer today because of mandatory laws governing things as basic as WATER, it is these teens who died from dehydration who made that possible.  They paid with their lives. A price no child/parent should have to pay.

:smokin:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2005, 04:58:00 PM »
There are a number of excellent, safe wilderness programs.  I know it is hard for you to admit that, but there are. I know several teens who grew up and went back to work at their wilderness program during and after college.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2005, 05:07:00 PM »
On 2005-09-10 13:58:00, Anonymous wrote:

"There are a number of excellent, safe wilderness programs.  I know it is hard for you to admit that, but there are. I know several teens who grew up and went back to work at their wilderness program during and after college."

Right, like these camp counselors on Brat Camp?  They were pathetic power trippers.  They should go get a real job instead of playing games with kid's minds.  Teen Helper 101 ... what a crock of shit.

:flame:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2005, 05:14:00 PM »
So how many kids are forced to do wilderness therapy BEFORE being sent off to some locked emotional growth (cough-cough) school?  And you don't think something stinks to high heaven here?  Wake up and smell the M.O.N.E.Y. asshole.

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 03:13:00 PM »

"There are a number of excellent, safe wilderness programs.  I know it is hard for you to admit that, but there are. I know several teens who grew up and went back to work at their wilderness program during and after college."

Tell me how enforced hardship, repetition of trivial and mundane tasks, boredom, isolation and deprivation are therapeutic?
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 03:32:00 PM »
On 2006-05-18 12:13:00, MightyAardvark wrote:

"

Tell me how enforced hardship, repetition of trivial and mundane tasks, boredom, isolation and deprivation are therapeutic?

"

gee ... eating is mundane, so lets skip that in our daily lives.  but since i sorta enjoy that, just you skip such mundane activity.  dont tie your shoes either -- same reason.  

boredom is a problem, especially if you don't look at your surroundings, the life around you and the stars at night.  is it far better to have a constant stream of "entertainment" fed to you.

deprivation is another one.  many of the programs don't let you bring drugs along, or chemical-additive-laced foods.  your body gets cleansed of stuff some think toxic, but in your evident view that could not be therapeutic as it happens at a "program".

don't talk about the workbooks on biology, or on personal development.  don't talk about group discussions.  don't acknowledge any sessions with a psychologist or other qualified mental health professional in the wilderness, cause that could be therapeutic too.

some even accomplish things in the wilderness they never dreamed they could do, and gain a big sense of personal ability they'd otherwise never have.  but don't acknowledge that, or that it has value.

only the enforced hardship of having no BMW ready, trivial and mundane activities like caring for personal hygene absent a butler/valet on any day, the boredom of the natural world [forget a "walkabout"], the isolation from do-nothing pals and deprivation of pie alamode are the only things that happen in wilderness.

u a self-pitying moron

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »
wahey, and absent the ability to actually refute my argument the anonytroll goes straight for the name calling.
Well done for living up to out expectations.
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2006, 06:16:00 PM »
On 2006-05-18 12:45:00, MightyAardvark wrote:

"wahey, and absent the ability to actually refute my argument the anonytroll goes straight for the name calling.

"

u got no 'argument'.
u list nuttin of the heart of good wilderness programs, so u can hardly judge em.
but maybe u not a self-pitying moron, and instead be a do/say-nothing-positive, blame-others-for-your-own-failures whiney moron.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 06:45:00 PM »
Wow, did you learn those exceptional writing skills from your own brat camp?

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2006, 12:07:00 AM »
Your arguments were hashed to death a year ago when the show was on TV. Let's cut to the chase. Two of the Brat Campers were arrested before the series even finished airing. In the concluding follow-up episode, the parents of a third camper stated it did their daughter no good at all and they regretted sending her. Two other girls were hauled off to follow-up prisons (Oh wait, they call them TBSs) that were owned by the same company that owned and operated the Brat Camp. If you watched the series, you could see that the decision to send these two the to TBSs was made prior to them even attending Brat Camp. So that makes five of nine failures. Some good program.

Oh and how about the kid who really did not push himself past his limits. He did not rappel, do the ropes, or even a trust fall. He was terrified and confused through the entire series. He needed his ADHD meds, not some misguided, unprofessional, unqualified, hippie freaks dragging him through the wilderness. Any moron watching the show could see this.

Meantime, yes they saw therapists. They did not have to live in the god forsaken desert to do that, though, did they? Yes there were unprofessional group discussions during which they completely and inappropriately forced a teenager into revealing her history of sexual abuse on national television. They confronted another about positive drug tests on national television. Clearly, the best interests of these kids was not a consideration.

The show was so offensive, it is the reason I am here on Fornits'. I never heard of the troubled teen industry until it shocked me that people were actually forcing kids through such stupidity.

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2006, 08:39:00 AM »
I am amused by the fact that as soon as a good solid argument is presented the trolls go eerily silent.

If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.
http://lfb.com/?stocknumber=FF7485&code=10247' target='_new'>Thomas Jefferson

Billy Joel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2006, 09:06:00 AM »
"I am amused by the fact that as soon as a good solid argument is presented the trolls go eerily silent."

What "good solid argument"?  In fact, what argument at all, other than posturing.  Take bits and pieces of this and that, put them together, and that doesn't mean you have a coherent, or even accurate picture.  No, you don't have to go to the desert to see a therapist.  No, "wilderness programs" don't accomplish what they advertise for everybody.  Medical doctors aren't successful in curing every disease or sick person.

You've got to look at the whole picture, and nobody has done that here - or rather, nobody here seems to have put it all together and posted it.  You can show successes and failures of a lot of places.  But you can't defensibly claim miracles from a program when a handful of people say it helped them.  And you can't defensibly claim "bad" when something went wrong once in four years and with one of hundreds of participants.

There are some places I wouldn't send my worst enemy.  And there are some great places that aren't right for some people.  But you can't take one or a few examples out of chance knowledge and determine absolute truth for one and all - either way.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »
Shut up, Karen.  You're so annoying.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2006, 09:01:00 PM »
On 2006-05-22 06:06:00, Anonymous wrote:

""I am amused by the fact that as soon as a good solid argument is presented the trolls go eerily silent."

What "good solid argument"?  In fact, what argument at all, other than posturing.  Take bits and pieces of this and that, put them together, and that doesn't mean you have a coherent, or even accurate picture.  No, you don't have to go to the desert to see a therapist.  No, "wilderness programs" don't accomplish what they advertise for everybody.  Medical doctors aren't successful in curing every disease or sick person.

You've got to look at the whole picture, and nobody has done that here - or rather, nobody here seems to have put it all together and posted it.  You can show successes and failures of a lot of places.  But you can't defensibly claim miracles from a program when a handful of people say it helped them.  And you can't defensibly claim "bad" when something went wrong once in four years and with one of hundreds of participants.

There are some places I wouldn't send my worst enemy.  And there are some great places that aren't right for some people.  But you can't take one or a few examples out of chance knowledge and determine absolute truth for one and all - either way."

On the contrary. There are those of us who have no vested interest in the subject. We have no teenage children. We have no program experience. We have searched the Internet both on the survivors' sites and programs' own sites. We have read the testimonials of those who praise programs. We have read the accounts of abuse. We have sought out the news stories, the studies, and the opinions of experts. We have done our best to remain objective and open minded. We realize that there are no easy answers and the world is not black and white. When weighing in all of the evidence, we have come to the only rational conclusion.

Programs are scams based on new age junk science, overpriced and sold to those who do not do their homework. They are the equivelant of psychological snake-oil.

Program operators are, at best, amoral, at worst sadistic, and likely to be religious-like in their self-righteous opinion that they alone can solve the problem. They are either liars or arrogantly ignorant when they claim to even understand the problem.

These operators prey on parents who have either abused or ignored their own children for so long that the kids are now 'out of control' and cannot be reeled in. Not knowing what else to do, as a last resort, these hapless folk send their kids away to be forced into compliance by cruel strangers in a cult-like environment of oppression and abuse.

The kids themselves have no choice in their own treatment or fate. Many are too young even to understand what is abusive and unacceptable and what is normal and will often accept the programs teachings in the same blind way religious fundamentalists and cult members accept the teachings of their deluded leaders. They become the next generation of narrow minded thinkers.

Those kids that see through the programs' lies and distortions are forced to fake it or be treated with ever increasing brutality until they break and succumb to the will of the masters. They are damaged, but they survive and when they reach safety, either through age or the awakening of their parents, they speak out. They appear here on Fornits', they post in myspace groups, they testify in court. They sometimes stuggle for years in attempt to heal from the misguided abuse they have suffered.

And the program supporters, unable to face the real, hard evidence can only dismiss them as whiners and liars; even when the abuse is caught on tape, or photograhed, or proved in a court of law.

There is nothing so sad for me than to read the words of a young person who was kidnapped, robbed of his possessions, robbed of his identity, denied communication, denied even the basic right to speak out, treated like a prisoner, or dragged through the wilderness, admit that all this happened to him and in the same paragraph claim to never have witnessed or experienced abuse; and believe it. That truly, is an effective conversion; or brainwashing, take your pick.

Absolutely no one has the right to force their own set of values onto another person. Each human being has the right to define their own values and to think for themselves and act for themselves. Anything less is oppression and unAmerican.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »
::cheers::
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700