Author Topic: Maia Szalavitz and Evan Wright RIGHT NOW at CATO!  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Maia Szalavitz and Evan Wright RIGHT NOW at CATO!
« on: April 20, 2006, 11:58:00 AM »
Cato Institute
BOOK FORUM
Thursday, April 20, 2006
12:00 PM (Luncheon to Follow)

Featuring the author Maia Szalavitz, Senior Fellow, Stats.org; and with comments by Evan Wright Contributing Editor, Rolling Stone Author, Generation Kill: Devil Dogs, Iceman, Captain America, and the New Face of American War. The Cato Institute
1000 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001

Watch the Event Live in RealVideo
Listen to the Event in RealAudio (Audio Only)

As the War on Drugs continues to fill America's prisons with nonviolent offenders, many cities and states are looking at mandatory treatment as an alternative to incarceration. Although treatment is generally preferable to prison, not all methods of treating drug addiction are the same. Some methods, particularly the "tough love" programs aimed at teens and adolescents, have documented records of mental abuse, physical abuse, and even death.

http://helpatanycost.com/events.php

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is
proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in
everlasting ignorance- that principle is contempt prior to investigation.
--Herbert Spencer

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 05:24:00 PM »
An informative and honest discussion, it was nice to put faces to the few voices that are out there exposing the untruths about "behavior modification programs" and "tough love" against teens in the USA.

It's so nice to have advocates that are as articulate and intelligent as Ms. Szalavitz, and Mr. Wright. I know they understand the intensity of emotion involved already in teen years, and how it is possible that institutions like these harm families in their sometimes obvious quest for economic gains. I look forward to seeing more on this important topic and Ms. Szalavitz's latest ground breaking work. [ This Message was edited by: blownawaytheidahoway on 2006-04-20 14:24 ]
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 10:22:00 AM »
I really appreciate what Evan said about how people perceive us and what Maia said about how blithely parents ta' day take away those vital years of passage from their kids.

Not that the government indoctrination centers are quite the same as authentic community. But they're less complete in their control structures. And so those vital high school years are all about the adventures and escapades that grow out of working around that system.

Think about it. When old school friends get together after some years, do they reminisce about those wonderful biology lectures Mr. Doherty gave? Or how much they missed those period bells and how they've thought about having them installed in their own homes?

No. Sometimes they'll talk about a singularly decent mentor or teacher. But those things that make those people great are all about how they, too, work around the system to sneak a little humanity into the mix.

These other programs about which Maia and Evan write, they're just an outgrowth or response to the failures of the Prussian gymnasium system after which our public school system is modeled*. When a kid bucks all of that enough to frighten the parents, the parents themselves never had anything different or better. In these generations, they don't even know what's missing. And so they fall for the sales pitch.

"Angry, uncooperative, inconvenient kid? At a loss as to how to bring them into conformity? Fear not, m'lady! We can make all that anger and rebellion go away, make them compliant and clean cut, just like you wanted. Just get your credit card out and call 1-800-snatch-my-kid ..."

* I'm not kidding, here's the evidence:
http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/toc1.htm

so long as the universe had a beginning, we could suppose it had a creator. But if the universe is completely self-contained, having no boundary or edge, it would neither be created nor destroyed it would simply be. What place, then, for a creator?
--stephen Hawking, English scientist

`80 - `82
return undef() if /coercion/i;

[ This Message was edited by: Eudora on 2006-04-21 07:33 ]
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 10:25:00 AM »
Evan made two great points:

1. 'Breaking down' someone deliberately (so they 'hit bottom') to soften them up for treatment is wrong.

2. Tying unregulated, non-professional 'treatment' to 'profit' is wrong.

The two points above he uses to contrast 'therapuetic treatment' programs to AA, which is (or should be) voluntary, non-coercive, and free. Many programs have taken the 12 steps and tied them to coercion, and to profit.
ally Gator