Author Topic: One more thing...  (Read 13544 times)

Offline marshall

• View Profile
One more thing...
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2005, 12:13:00 AM »
On 2005-08-24 20:39:00, Robin Martin wrote:

"

On 2005-08-24 20:10:00, marshall wrote:
You probably considered your old style / image 'cool' because that's what your old peergroup or culture told you. You likely considered your new haircut 'a good thing' & decided your shag 'needed altering' for exactly the same reasons..."

Well, duh...  :grin:
"

Yeah, I think I understand what you're saying Robin. (or maybe not..it's late here & I'm sleepy) If the choice is between being a junkie and being a moonie or rajneeshie I'd take the latter two anyday. In my own case, being ordered into the seed was a much better alternative than spending 5 years in a georgia prison. It's ironic, but I'm actually one of those that would have unquestionably 'ended up' in prison if not for the seed or some such program as an alternative. That was my choice...5 years of prison or seed. The seed was definitely the best choice or lesser of two evils. Lots of folks have gotten straight (read' off dope or chronic alcohol abuse) via scientology and their affiliated groups. I'm sure the old synannon worked for some too. There were likely people that might have been junkies if not for programs like Straight too. I just don't think that justifies their existence or methods...or the countless others that suffer from ongoing problems due at least in part to a program / cult of that type. I just lump the Seed in with the others. Some were better than others in various ways just as some 'eras' of the seed were better than others in some ways. No one should be thought-reformed / behaviour modified against their will though...ever. Maybe some victims of the inquisition went on to become saints, I don't know...but that in no way justifies the existence of that either.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. You must climb towards the Truth. It cannot be \'stepped down\'

Offline marshall

• View Profile
One more thing...
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2005, 12:22:00 AM »
On 2005-08-24 20:54:00, Antigen wrote:

"The funny thing is, in around `73 or `74, the Seed Chick haircut was a shag. My sister and I both got them. I remember it well. I was in 3rd grade.

If triangles had a God, He'd have three sides.
--Old Yiddish proverb

"

I'm not surprised to hear that. Arbitrary. I was one of those early geeks that tried to dress like Art. Light colored pastel shirt and pants to match, white belt. No-one questioned that sort of group-think though. BTW, can you reformat that last reply to Robin? I just hit the quote button and it posted whacky. Thanks.
Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. You must climb towards the Truth. It cannot be \'stepped down\'

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
One more thing...
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2005, 08:15:00 AM »
OK, maybe Cliff bought into the white belt and white shoes thing. Sorry not many did.  I always liked a black shirt and did catch a little hell about it, but I still wore it anyway.  I never owned any white shoes (before or after labor day)
The whole point was to dress brighter and feel better about your self.  It was a little tough to where a yellow or red or light blue shirt & act and feel down & out.  Lets face it once you got out of the grateful dead tshirt & dirty scragley jeans it makes a difference in your attitude.  It makes it alot harder to feel like a down and out loser.  SOOOO... Have a nice day everyone & tell it to all the toll booth operaters also :razz:  :razz:

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
One more thing...
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2005, 08:23:00 AM »
Hey I didn't mean to dis Cliff.  he's a very nice guy.  He just never had an eye for clothes although since hes been married his wife has taken good care of him. :grin:

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
One more thing...
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2005, 08:43:00 AM »
WTaylor read your private messages again.
Thanks.

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
One more thing...
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2005, 08:49:00 AM »
I must admit I came in in '72 with long blonde hair parted down the middle. (surfer style) & decided on my 13th day to get a hair cut to insure going home the next day.  It didn't happen for another couple of weeks.  I did ask for a shag, thinking I could still walk out with a cool look.  It didn't happen. I was in zombie mode for a day or two but it did make me start to change for the better :grin:

Offline wtaylorg

• View Profile
One more thing...
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »
Hey TK.
Check your private messages.

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
One more thing...
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2005, 11:23:00 AM »
Hey Old Guy (WTaylor)
check your private messages again

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
One more thing...
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2005, 11:45:00 AM »
Yah know, if you put a legit email addy in your profile, you'll get notification of PMs.

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.
-- George Carlin

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Napolean Bonafart

• View Profile
    • http://electriclarryland.spaces.live.com/lists/
One more thing...
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2005, 12:32:00 PM »
Well y'all remember my little bush in my back yard when everybody gets through wrecking their brains. There's plenty of "brain salad surgery" out here for the vampires.

A year from now, I'll be very surprised if there is not some grand square in Baghdad that is named after President Bush.

--Pentagon advisor, Richard Perle, September 22, 2003

Perfect example of one vampire they let out of the asylum too soon.
"Mine Eyes have seen the Glory of The Coming Of The Lord"[ This Message was edited by: The Root Of Jesse on 2005-08-25 09:35 ]
quot;Thank you peanut gallery\"

Offline wtaylorg

• View Profile
One more thing...
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2005, 01:28:00 PM »
Check your private messages again.
W

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
One more thing...
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2005, 09:36:00 PM »

Yeah, I think I understand what you're saying Robin. (or maybe not..it's late here & I'm sleepy) If the choice is between being a junkie and being a moonie or rajneeshie I'd take the latter two anyday. In my own case, being ordered into the seed was a much better alternative than spending 5 years in a georgia prison. It's ironic, but I'm actually one of those that would have unquestionably 'ended up' in prison if not for the seed or some such program as an alternative.

Thank you Marshall - you DO understand afterall!  I can 'relate' w/ you in knowing UNQUESTIONABLY I would have ended up deadinsaneorinjail.  I was a tough little gal. When I volunteered to put myself into the Seed, I was soooo miserable, I remember calling my mom to say "if I don't get straight, I'm going to commit suicide..."  That was the FIRST time those words crossed my lips.  Well, for me, it was all good. I'm still above ground and grateful for it!  In no way do I minimize the experiences of others that were FORCED in for smoking a couple of joints, or having a couple of beers or taking a couple of trips.  That's obscene!  I understand parents jumping on the bandwagon; wouldn't you, if you were scared and concerned for your children?? I would.  Neither do I blame FAMILY DISFUNCTION from time spent at the Seed.  Hell - My family was dysfunctional when I went in, STILL dysfunctional today and always will be.  How do I handle it? I deal w/ it and move on! Does it hurt at times?  OF COURSE IT DOES! The four of us live in different states and WE LIKE it that way! Yeesh, sorry for the rant...sometimes I just start typing and can't stop.  I imagine it's like that for a lot of us, huh?  I appreciate your comments Marshall,
Robin

Offline marshall

• View Profile
One more thing...
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2005, 10:39:00 PM »
Funny, but I don't remember Cliff wearing those...he must've started after I left. I do remember Robert C. wearing them though. I recall lots of guys doing it.  I even have a pic somewhere of me in that get-up. Also had the white shoes..  A black T-shirt huh? You were such a rebel! I have no problem with art or anyone wearing that sort of thing. But it's just personal taste...like some people prefer Rembrandt and others Van Gogh. It isn't a moral or character issue. Same with hair styles.

"The whole point was to dress brighter and feel better about your self. It was a little tough to where a yellow or red or light blue shirt & act and feel down & out. Lets face it once you got out of the grateful dead tshirt & dirty scragley jeans it makes a difference in your attitude."

There seems to be a big contradiction in that observation. If dressing 'brighter' makes you feel better about yourself then you should never ditch the grateful dead shirts. Have you ever seen these? There's nothing as bright & colorful as those are. I've worn them regularly for nearly 2 decades.  imo it wasn't the psychological effect of bright colors, it was what was considered acceptable at the time...same as being 'cool' in the seed. Only certain styles of bright clothes were acceptable. From watching my own and other kids grow to adulthood, I'd say it's primarily getting out of adolescence that makes the biggest difference in your attitude.

We could argue about men's hairstyles at the seed but such a debate between two graying, balding men  :skull:  & you still seem to have a great sense of humor.  If you ever talk to Cliff, tell him I said Hi.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
One more thing...
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2005, 01:17:00 AM »
 In no way do I minimize the experiences of others that were FORCED in for smoking a couple of joints, or having a couple of beers or taking a couple of trips.  That's obscene!

Of course it is, and think you for getting that Robin!

I would extend that to anyone forced in for any reason.

Now, those of you that volunteered to go in and appreciate your experience, who's to second guess? ..its your life. However, to those that volunteered going in not realizing the dangerous cultic techniques that were to be used on them, and then having to endure the results for years and years...often forgoing normal sexuality, their families, their friends for years or decades...

I think  those consent forms that the governemnt was going to force Art to use were a brilliant idea.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
One more thing...
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2005, 01:21:00 AM »
& you still seem to have a great sense of humor.  

Lauderdale is gifted or cursed with the same sense of humor I have. That is, people either think your funny or offensive..no middle ground. Also, people also mistake attempts at humor for attacks.

In my progressing age, I have been working on trying to understand how other people take this "trait" of mine and modifying it for the sake of everyone!  Especially me.

:grin: