Author Topic: Brat Camp Producers Out of Touch With Reality  (Read 10909 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Brat Camp Producers Out of Touch With Reality
« on: August 08, 2005, 10:43:00 PM »
Which is not to say that Brat Camp, with its nine hard-to-handle hellions, won't deliver more than its fair share of eye-openers and jaw-droppers. (It should be noted that the series carries a TV-14, L ? for language ? rating.) "These kids wouldn't be in a camp like this if they were just being 'brats.' There's a lot more to it," says Grodner. "Their parents are at their wits' end, and this is the last option for these families who have tried a lot of things."

There is no cash prize at the end of Brat Camp. No torches to be snuffed or roses to be handed out. No recording contracts. The only winners are the kids who elect to choose the right path. "This is not a game. There are light moments, as there are heavy moments, but these are serious issues. This show is truthful and honest and raw. People will be shocked."

Nine kids, with nine sets of inner demons to overcome. Can viewers expect nine happy endings? "This is a real show, so there are absolutely no guarantees," insists Grodner. "These are [problems] that sometimes take a lot more time than 60-plus days in the wilderness [to resolve]. I will tell you that there are some incredibly dramatic turnarounds ? but maybe not for everyone."

But if all goes as wished, Brat Camp will help many more families than the nine featured on the program. "What we always hope with a show like this is that it makes an impression on the audience and helps people find help and learn from it," says Grodner. "If we can touch other lives, that's amazing."

http://entertainment.excite.com/celebgo ... 005_2.html

Yeah, real amazing.  Ruin the lives of the 9 teens who now, no matter what they do, will always be remembered as the BRAT TEENS.

The good news is according to a recent poll, parents are evenly divided on whether they would send their own kid to a BRAT CAMP. (and that was BEFORE the news that 2 campers had already gotten in trouble with the law after finishing their wilderness (cough-cough) therapy.  

:wave:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 11:17:00 PM »
Does that imply that ABC is going to pay the tuition for 'many' future contestants?

Another clever program scam. Rip off school districts, IRS, insurance companies. Now they have the american viewing audience, via ABC, providing free advertisement AND paying for guarenteed placements. Repulsive.
Or was it the production company that paid the tuitions? Either way....

[ This Message was edited by: Deborah on 2005-08-08 20:18 ]
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 04:23:00 AM »
The good news is according to a recent poll, parents are evenly divided on whether they would send their own kid to a BRAT CAMP.

Evenly divided is good news?  That's half the kids in the country who are in danger of abuse.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 04:37:00 PM »
it's playing on the fact that people (esp. americians) really go for free things, even if you don't really need the thing being offered, "hey, it's free, and you get to be on tv (stars in the eyes, on teevee, whooeee)."  media is largely owned by some of the most evil beings on the planet, trying to fulfll an agenda. we've heard that all before.  obviously, abc couldn't start handing out free vouchers to wilderness programs and rtc's to the viewing audience, out of nowhere, so they use their position to make a show, garner support, and at the same time round up as many kids as they can from families who otherwise wouldn't be willing to shell out the dough.  they are trying to destroy youth.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 11:05:00 PM »
http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/local/ci_2923498

Most local teens interviewed Friday slammed the show's deceptive tactics.

"I would be angry," said Ashley Leblanc, 15, of Gardner. "I would want (my parents) to talk to me about whatever the problem was before sending me off to this place."

-------------------------------------
These kids were tricked," Michaelson said. "That's probably not the best way to negotiate with an adolescent."

Michaelson said kids are likely to become angry about being put into a program like this without full knowledge of what it entails.

"They're fighting the betrayal and the lie," he said. "You set yourself up for a possibility of more problem behavior."

Also, while an experience such as that provided by "Brat Camp" may improve some teens' behavior, Michaelson said cameras shouldn't be there to capture it.

"It's such a personal experience," he said. "To be tricked and then to be taped is really demeaning to these kids. You're saying, 'You have no voice, and we're going to exploit you.'"

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 08:11:00 AM »
Hopefully these kids won't be sent to any long-term facilities.  As fucked and acutely dangerous as "boot camp" might be, at least the kids get out of there in a month or two.
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 08:57:00 AM »
On 2005-08-11 05:11:00, bandit1978 wrote:

"Hopefully these kids won't be sent to any long-term facilities.  As fucked and acutely dangerous as "boot camp" might be, at least the kids get out of there in a month or two.
"

At least one of them, Heather, has.  Anyone know which one?  Who is paying?  I hope it's not the TV company.  I don't want to see a Brat Gulag follow-on.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 12:26:00 PM »
On 2005-08-11 05:11:00, bandit1978 wrote:

"Hopefully these kids won't be sent to any long-term facilities.  As fucked and acutely dangerous as "boot camp" might be, at least the kids get out of there in a month or two.
"

Indeed!

If we choose to violate the rights of the innocent in order to discover and act against the guilty, then we have transformed our country into a police state and abandoned one of the fundamental tenants of a free society. In order to win the war on drugs, we must not sacrifice the life of the Constitution in the battle.
--US District Judge H. Lee Sarokin

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 12:56:00 PM »
I wouldn't exactly call SageWalk "boot camp".  Most of them clearly needed TBS placement after SageWalk. Nick needed some other sort of specialized school.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 01:19:00 PM »
I'm sure that any services those kids need are available in their communities, particularly Nick. He doen't need any 'specialize school'.  'Residential therapy' was never a good idea, because the beginning assumption- that behavior is changed with isolation and punishment-
is inaccurate. And there's ample research to indicate such.
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 01:25:00 PM »
I wouldn't call SageWalk isolation and punishment either.  Deborah, take off those filtering glasses through which you view everything and look at the reality.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 01:33:00 PM »
I'm assuming that you consider your opinions and perception to be 'Reality'. Can't join you there.
The comment was to the need for TBS, which is most definitely isolation and punishment....
24/7.
Wilderness is just a shorter version that carries a whole different level of risks for injury or death.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 01:43:00 PM »
Most TBSs are not based on isolation and punishment. You continue to post erroneous information and I continue to correct you.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »
Uh huh,  :lol: and who's out of touch with reality?

Incarceration may actually be more accurate. What do you think? Although, I do think that being held incommunicado with minimal contact with family and the outside world (the real world) is considered isolation. Like inmates in prison....

Punishment.........
suffering, pain, or loss that serves as retribution  b: a penalty inflicted on an offender through judicial procedure (kids don't even get the benefit of due process)

FYI, BM is considered punishment. You can pretty it up and blame the kid by calling it 'consequences', but same-same. Limiting calories or contact with parent to gain compliance is punishment. I could go on... and on. Not in the mood.

I'm non-negotiable on Punishment. Totally appropros. We might add- living under a microscope and punished for every perceived minor infraction 24/7. That's an excellent technique for creating paranoia.

You're arguement might be more 'real' and believable if you just copped to TBS being both... but, that you consider isolation and punishment to be 'therapeutic'. Isn't that the truth?

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »
On 2005-08-11 10:25:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I wouldn't call SageWalk isolation and punishment either.  Deborah, take off those filtering glasses through which you view everything and look at the reality."

That's because you're a fucking retard.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control