Author Topic: Great Idea  (Read 10023 times)

Offline SyN

• View Profile
Great Idea
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2005, 12:05:00 PM »
On 2005-08-08 06:17:00, Shortbus wrote:

"The are programs out there that offer custom trips for families. I have been approached to work as a field instructor/guide. The family, the therapist and me. I take care of the logistics side.... gear, food,  what were gonna do, where were gonna go. The therapist does his/her thing. The family gets their work done. I think its a great idea. Absolutely awesome. What usually gets in the way (and what got in the way this time) is not money, but time. Somebodys schedule is just too full and its a shame.

I cant rave enough about the concept. Id love to have the opportunity to do this a couple times a year.
"

you would think their kids would be first on the list, its very disapointing.  Some think its easier to push their problems onto others.
Mike
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
A word to the wise is infuriating.\"

Offline Shortbus

• View Profile
Great Idea
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2005, 12:14:00 PM »
I dont care what anybody else says about it, I think its a great idea. The therapist that approached me about it also does "crisis aftercare" for lack of a better label. Doenst work for any specific program, hes an independant contractor and flies around the country checking in on past students and their families. These are kids that left wilderness and went home. I think this too is a great idea. There are some good skills that can be learned at programs whether its communication or following through with a task. That visit or phone call can be beneficial. Sort of like having a sponsor after treatment.

.....oh, the connection between this therapist and the student was he was their therapist in a wilderness program.
ts never too late to procrastinate

Offline Cynthia

• View Profile
Great Idea
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2005, 07:29:00 AM »
On 2005-08-07 07:51:00, SyN wrote:

"Instead of these parents dumping into the cash cows wouldnt it be more "Theraputic".  Would it not resonate better with the kids if the parents took a month off of work and had their own brat camp? Did the hikes with them, the talking, the  relateing.  Not only would it show the kids that they are important enough to take the time off, but would also keep them out of strangers hands.

random thought.

Mike"

Wonderful idea! What do you do when one parent (me) has rules, makes their child attend school, and won't let a 15 year old drink and have partys each weekend......while "The coolest father in town" does?
We couldn't even get him to come on a slopeside ski vacation with us. He hid in the (father's = bookie,drug dealer & alcholic) house when I went to pick him up.
Yup...Like I could have really got him to take a hike with me.
He later told me that when he was at his fathers house, they would see my name on the caller ID, laugh and ignore it together.
By the way, I changed my user name.
 Llahsram= Marshall too hard to spell and impossible to say! Cindy[ This Message was edited by: Cynthia on 2005-08-09 05:02 ]

Offline SyN

• View Profile
Great Idea
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2005, 08:19:00 AM »
hey Cindy! that predicament sucks and I dont know what I would do.  When a parent is part of the childs demise, thats a sad situation.  Guess my idea would be harder for you to apply.

Quick question to all. has anyone writen the sagewalk people an email besides me?
Mike :question:

Offline Cynthia

• View Profile
Great Idea
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2005, 01:59:00 PM »
On 2005-08-09 05:02:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"You know fathers like that are the clear and demonstrated need for post birth abortion. "
Believe me, If I wouldn't go to prison,It would have been done 18 years ago!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Great Idea
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2005, 04:27:00 PM »
On 2005-08-08 06:17:00, Shortbus wrote:

"The are programs out there that offer custom trips for families. I have been approached to work as a field instructor/guide. The family, the therapist and me. I take care of the logistics side.... gear, food,  what were gonna do, where were gonna go. The therapist does his/her thing. The family gets their work done. I think its a great idea. Absolutely awesome. What usually gets in the way (and what got in the way this time) is not money, but time. Somebodys schedule is just too full and its a shame.

I cant rave enough about the concept. Id love to have the opportunity to do this a couple times a year.
"

Wow. That sounds amazing.  It really, really is a shame that parents find it more convenient just to dump their kids by themselves in a program, when it's possible for the whole family to experience the wilderness together. I'm sorry, I don't care what your job is, or your schedual, or whatever, if you have a problem in your family and your kid needs help, nothing should come before that.  I give props to any parent willing to go out into the woods with their child and work through their problems together.  THAT is a good parent.

Offline Shortbus

• View Profile
Great Idea
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2005, 05:01:00 PM »
With flexible staff anything is possible. A good fit with therapist, field guide and family... have the family pick the location, away you go.People pay a ton of money for specialized vacations - everything from cooking in Tuscany to bird wathing in the Aleutians. It wouldnt take much to put together lesson plans for kids, menu planning for the family and cover the theraputic agenda too. Planning and commitment. And if youre willing to commit to something like this youll probably succeed and take steps forward with your family relationships.
ts never too late to procrastinate

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
Great Idea
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2005, 08:55:00 PM »
Mike said ----"Quick question to all. has anyone writen the sagewalk people an email besides me?"-----

No, but I emailed Dateline the night they ran the restraints story.

What did you say to Sagewalk...Did they respond?...Just curious.
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Great Idea
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »
Mike, check the latest news.
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... =37&Sort=D

Evidently, they didn't get your mail. Curious, huh?

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
-- John F. Kennedy (1917-63), U.S. Democratic politician, president. Speech, 13 March 1962, the White House.

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
Great Idea
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2005, 08:07:00 AM »
You need to be more careful of who you breed with.
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Great Idea
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2005, 11:04:00 AM »
On 2005-08-11 05:07:00, bandit1978 wrote:

"You need to be more careful of who you breed with."
:question:  :question:  :question:

...the coercive collectivist State is distinctly uninterested in the cultivation of intelligence and wisdom. This is understandable...for the State has no uses to which persons of intelligence and wisdom can be put.
--Albert Jay Nock.

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
Great Idea
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »
That was for Cindy-  Cindy, be more careful whom you breed with.
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline SyN

• View Profile
Great Idea
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2005, 09:25:00 PM »
my email I sent simply stated how disgusted I was on the fact that they are exposing these kids on TV, seemingly for their own gain.  I got a response this morning.  They seemingly have an auto response, it told me how to enroll my kid. lol. whatever, I will probably call to say what my email stated after my vacation.
Have fun guys be back after my vacation!!!

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
Great Idea
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2005, 11:13:00 PM »
Yeah, I got a standard reply from Dateline, only to the effect, thank you for your interest, we try to read all email but cannot respond to everyone with an individual response, stuff like that----guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Bratcamp will probably never acknowledge your comments, but will probably just babble about how great their program is and spew forth other BS we've all heard before. If you call, let us know what Brat Camp says.
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Great Idea
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2005, 12:48:00 PM »
Interesting. The producers claim that they've gotten nothing but positive email. Not one negative email in the whole bit torrent of responses.

Gee, do you think maybe they need a round of wilderness therapy to deal w/ their manipulation and deception?

668: The Neighbor of the Beast
--Anonymous Postman

Straight, Sarasota
   10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
return undef() if /coercion/i;