Author Topic: 'BRAT CAMP' CHANGES LIFE FOR THE BETTER  (Read 8951 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
'BRAT CAMP' CHANGES LIFE FOR THE BETTER
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 01:52:00 PM »
Re-writing the software.
A hell of a lot safer than psych drugs which can acutally increase suicidality. And preferable to an abusive program. However, I don't know how effective it actually is for those whose depression stems from problems of living such as poverty and homelessness. Sometimes the cure for a person's distress requires some practial, common sense action (meeting basic needs immediately, followed by job training, etc). I mean, how do you convince someone that their depression will lift if the just think 'non-negative' thoughts about their economic status and inability to provide for self and family?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/09/healt ... nted=print

August 9, 2005
Talk Therapy Succeeds in Reducing Suicide Risk
By BENEDICT CAREY
After a year of debate over whether antidepressant drugs increase the risk of suicide, a new study finds that a standard brand of talk therapy may offer the best chance to save those at the highest risk of taking their own
lives.

The therapy cut almost by half the risk of suicide attempts in extremely suicidal patients, many of whom were already taking drugs for depression, the researchers found.

The study, published in the Aug. 3 issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association, is the largest and most rigorous test of a
psychotherapy technique in people whose attempts to end their lives have been serious enough to land them in hospitals, experts said.

Studies of depression treatments typically exclude such patients, in part because they are 30 to 40 times as likely to kill themselves as people who have not made serious suicide attempts.

"That you could cut by half the number of attempts in this population in just 8 to 10 sessions of therapy is something to write home about," said Steven D. Hollon, a professor of psychology at Vanderbilt University, who was not a part of the study.

Dr. Hollon added: "These are the kinds of people who wouldn't qualify for 90 percent of the treatment trials out there. But if you don't ever include them, you don't know what works for them. No guts, no glory."

In the study, Dr. Gregory K. Brown, a psychologist, and Dr. Aaron T. Beck, a
psychiatrist, both of the University of Pennsylvania, led a research team that recruited 120 people who were seen in the emergency room of the university hospital after trying to kill themselves.

The patients had multiple problems, including drug addiction, depression and homelessness, and half were followed closely by case managers and referred for counseling services, if necessary.

Once every week or so, the other half arrived for cognitive therapy, a counseling technique in which people learn to head off or diffuse self-defeating thoughts before acting on them. The researchers intended the therapy to address the patients' lives, their specific hopes and fears and the factors that had prompted them try to end their lives, Dr. Brown said.

A man who "felt like giving up" after a relationship problem learned that this thought itself had the effect of giving him permission to use drugs, which invariably make the situation worse, Dr. Brown said.

As they neared the end of the therapy, the participants relived their most painful moments, let themselves feel the tug of suicide and then devised strategies to divert themselves from thinking more about it.

"We would then see if these techniques reduced the sense of hopelessness, and if so, they could be discharged from therapy," Dr. Beck said. "It was a kind of dress rehearsal."

The patients who stumbled at rehearsal continued seeing the therapist for a longer time, he said.

The investigators followed the two groups, detailing repeat suicide attempts in interviews. After a year and a half, 13 of the men and women who received cognitive therapy tried again to kill themselves, compared with 23 in the other group. No one in either group completed a suicide.

Over all, those who received cognitive therapy scored significantly lower on measures of depressive mood and hopelessness.

Researchers working with people whose problem has been diagnosed as borderline personality disorder, which carries a high risk of suicide, have also reported reduced numbers of attempts with the therapy. But therapy aimed at borderline patients is long term, typically lasting a year or more.

In the new study, the course of therapy was short for a reason, Dr. Beck said. Highly suicidal people, particularly those with drug problems who are socially marginalized, do not typically have the patience or energy for longer courses of therapy.

The researchers are setting up a study of the therapy in community mental health centers, training counselors to use the technique with people hospitalized after suicide attempts.

"We'll see what happens in the real world," Dr. Beck said. "That will be the true test."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »
Craig -- Its good to hear some of the success stories of kids who completed the programs and are moving forward with their lives.  Ashley seems to be adjusting well.  Dont be discouraged by some of the other responses.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005, 08:53:00 PM »
On 2005-08-06 10:10:00, AtomicAnt wrote:

"Bottom line: A child with issues blown out of proportion is sent to a brainwashing program to become a well behaved zombie with three jobs, and wants to share the love. The cliches never end."

too true, after I got out of a program, I was expected to be in highschool from 7:30am-12:30 pm, then Junior College from 2:00pm to 10pm, and then on weekends I had to take a part time job at applebees.  and if I let my grades slip below A-, I was "underachieving." =P  oh yeah, and my parents complained because I only volunteered on the holidays. No wonder I was completely burnt out by the time I became an adult, I ended up living in my car and getting drunk every night for like two years  =P

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2005, 12:01:00 AM »
Ah, the ol "keep-em-so-busy-they-don't-have-time-to-get-in-trouble/burn-the-candle-at-both-ends" exit contract.

Offline Shortbus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2005, 07:22:00 AM »
Great posts on cognitive therapy. Ive seen it work in students and myself. Its time consuming but ut sticks - if person wants it to. If the behavior is still working for the person theres no point in changing. Students can also be very resistant to it because they perceive cognitive therapy as behavior modification. Thats the first thing they throw at me when I suggest approaching something... ANYTHING from a different perspective. "My parents dont love me, they hate me, theyre want to change me and make me someone different." No, were not trying to change you, were just trying to give you some tools that might help you to respond differently than you have been in certain situations. There are tons of really REALLY smart kids in programs. Thats one reason why they wound up in a program, theyre way smarter than everyone they deal with and a lot of adults are threatened by smart kids. And I know you posters know that! And CT takes time and patience. Something many employees in programs dont have. Lots more work than just rewarding or punishing a student for their behavior. It might have been the luck of the draw that I wound up working with therapists that prcaticed CT. Ive realized theres are many messed up programs out there. I wasnt deluded, I just didnt have as much info as I do now.
ts never too late to procrastinate

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2005, 04:20:00 PM »
Wow short bus that really is discusting.

Cognative therapy is Behavior modification, its not in the regular sence, but you are forc feeding a person information in hopes that it will stick and they will change. You giving them "Tools" is just you giving him things that will change his behavior! Forced practice of these ideas and punishment if they dont address it the way you wish is also behavior modification. You may not beat and emotionally abuse the child, but damn it if your not BM'ing him.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2005, 07:32:00 PM »
I have never heard of cognitive therapy, but I have heard of cognitive behavioral therapy. It has always been referred to as CBT, though, never CT. Maybe CT is a bastardized version of it, or something. And I've never heard of it being used in a behavior mod setting, either.

I'm actually going to a CBT group right now, because I suffer from depression. CBT is normally used in conjunction with meds, not instead of, for people who suffer from clinical depression or bipolar disorder. It's highly effective at intervening in negative thought processes, from what I've been told, (I just started the group.) but you have to want to use it. I can't imagine it working if you are being forced to use it, or if you don't want to, because you have to practice it regularly at first. There's literally no point. That would simply create more negative thought patterns, and resentment if it's something you have to do whether you want to or not. It's counterintuitive.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2005, 08:39:00 PM »
On 2005-08-11 04:22:00, Shortbus wrote:

"My parents dont love me, they hate me, theyre want to change me and make me someone different."

Very astute. That's exactly what's going on.

Impiety: Your irreverence toward my deity.
--Ambrose Bierce

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2005, 09:36:00 PM »
The discussion of CT and CBT is a little fuzzy at this point.  

Yes, there is cognitive therapy (CT) that is practiced as an independent approach---Aaron Beck is generally seen as the "father" of this discipline---although Kelly is considered an important founder also. More common these days, I would agree, is  cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT).

In CT, the idea is to change your thinking, with the effect that changes in your mood and general approach to life will follow. In CBT, both thoughts and behaviors can be worked with to bring about life change and there is some pretty good effectiveness data on this approach for a lot of conditions.

I wouldn't say that CBT is always used along with meds, sometimes it is used completely separately even with moderately depressed people, but the two can be used together---or meds can be used with CBT at first--and then the meds are tapered off as the client gets some level of energy back and can really participate in the CBT process.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2005, 11:21:00 AM »
Let me tell you, it was the height of lunacy in Straight. When I was there, some chosen 4th and 5th phasers and staff trainees got to take a specially crafted version of Rational Self Therapy and Rational Self Analysis. This was like a regular class that we took a couple of times per week for an hour or two. Like a regular class except, of course, that the students usually sat cross legged in rows on the floor of the sweat soaked carpet room and that it took place in the context of a totally authoritarian, lunatic little cult.

I enjoyed those classes very much. It was just so nice to be allowed to think and talk in a way that made sense. But you still had to mind your words carefully. One concept I remember from that course was about how we are each responsible for the way we feel about and respond to any perception. "No one can make you feel anything, you choose to feel the way you do based on your perceptions and your thoughts about them."

The down side, of course, was trying to keep a straight face and a closed mouth when I or anyone else was being lambasted for making our parents feel desperate and ashamed or whatever.

Yeah, in the context of a coercive, insane program, RSA/CBT was just another mindfuck.

I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.

--Thomas Carlyle

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2005, 05:59:00 PM »
Whats really funny is "CBT" is an acronym used by people in the scene for "cock & ball torture".  :lol:

There is something feeble and contemptible about a man who cannot face life without the help of comfortable myths.
--Bertrand Russell, British philosopher, educator, mathemetician, and social critic

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2005, 09:55:00 PM »
I now feel very dirty.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.