Author Topic: 'BRAT CAMP' CHANGES LIFE FOR THE BETTER  (Read 8947 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
'BRAT CAMP' CHANGES LIFE FOR THE BETTER
« on: August 06, 2005, 12:58:00 PM »
?Brat camp? confidential: Wilderness school turned life around for Cumberland girl
By Craig Giammona

Ashley Hallett of Cumberland with the dish rack she built at New Dominion School in Dillwyn, Va., where she spent 18 months turning her life around.

Courtesy Ashley Hallett
CUMBERLAND ? On Dec. 15, 2002, Ashley Hallett was sitting in class at Greely High School. Christmas was just over a week away and the blond-haired sophomore didn?t have much on her mind. Then she got a call from her father, who said he was coming to pick her up for a doctor appointment. Hallett was suspicious. It didn?t make sense. She had been to the doctor a few days before and her father?s story was flimsy. She became agitated, but eventually her father arrived and forced her to leave school. She knew something was up when she got to the car and saw her mother sitting in the front seat.

?It didn?t make any sense,? Hallett, now 18, said.

Her parents stuck with the doctor story for about 20 minutes as they drove from Cumberland to Portland. But as the car wound around the Back Cove, Ashley?s parents came clean: They were enrolling her in a wilderness school.

The situation was somewhat similar to that being documented this summer on ?Brat Camp,? an ABC reality television show that premiered earlier this month (although Ashley said the kids on the TV show get away with much more disruptive behavior than she ever would have been allowed).

Ashley?s parents were fed up with her behavior ? she had run away for four days, was drinking, smoking marijuana and generally disrespecting them on a regular basis. They had opted for the last resort.

Ashley started yelling and screaming. There was no way she was leaving her life, her friends, her school. But she didn?t have much choice. The Halletts spent the next 15 hours driving to the Southern Urban Wilderness School in the mountains of North Carolina. When the family would stop for gas, one parent would stay in the car with Ashley while the other paid and bought water and snacks.

?They knew I would try to get out and run away,? Ashley said, ?so one of them had to stay there and watch me.?

Three years removed from the ordeal, Ashley has turned her life around. She speaks of the events in a glib, self-assured manner. Recalling vivid details of the experience, she tells the story matter-of-factly.

?Honestly, I don?t know if I?d be alive right now,? she said, when asked if she had come to understand her parents? decision. In the next beat, though, she admits it took her a long time to forgive them for sending her away.

?I hated them,? she said.

Ashley spent 43 days in North Carolina in a structured program that involved frequent hikes and physical labor. When she first arrived she was sure she?d be home for Christmas, a notion that quickly drifted away in the cold winter air. The first week, she said, was the worst.

At first, she was not able to talk to the other kids and had to write four pages every day that were read by supervisors. Then an ?impact letter? arrived from her parents, detailing their reasons for sending her away. She had to read this in front of the entire group.

The minimum stay at the Wilderness school was 28 days. When that day hit, Ashley thought she was going home.

?Just get me out of here, I?m fine,? was how she described her attitude at the time. Her supervisors ? who give no indication of when a student will be released ? had other plans. They kept Ashley there until Jan. 30, 2003. She had been there for 43 days, but was still apparently not ready to return to Cumberland.

Her next stop was the New Dominion School in Dillwyn, Va., where she spent the next 18 months. The school teaches respect, again through a rigorous program of physical activity.

?Every minute of the day you?re doing something physical,? Ashley said. There is not electricity at the school outside of the dining room where the students eat. ?Being fake? or ?acting like you?re fine when you?re not? is a major violation and one that afflicted Ashley for her first six months in Virginia.

?I still didn?t get it at that point,? she said. ?I still thought I was fine.?

About six months into the program, Ashley said she had a turning point. She can?t quite pin down a particular event that caused the attitude change, but she figured out she was going to be there for a while and should try to do something positive. She had seen friends leave the school and realized she had to change her behavior if she ever wanted to follow them.

She started behaving and earning school hours, one at a time. She eventually worked up to six school hours a day and when she left Virginia in June 2004, after 18 months, she was back on track to graduate with her class.

In fact, Ashley received her high school diploma, on time, in June. Now, she said, she has adjusted to a new life in Cumberland. She no longer sees her old friends, who she describes as ?part of the problem? and instead has reacquainted herself with some close friends she knew growing up, but distanced herself from when she fell in with an older crowd at the start of high school.

?I don?t have to impress anyone,? Ashley said. ?I just don?t care anymore if (my friends) get mad at me for not going out.?

The new-found confidence, she said, derives from having survived her 20-month ordeal. ?No one knows how it feels to go through this,? she said.

Ashley now holds down three jobs ? coaching sailing in Portland, working part-time at Rite Aid and teaching private sailing lessons. She is no rush to go to college, but has a nanny job lined up in the fall and possibly wants to pursue a career as a probation officer.

?I want to do what people did for me,? she says, ?only I don?t want to sleep outside every night.?

Craig Giammona can be reached at [email protected].
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 01:05:00 PM »
This has nothing to do with brat camp troll... at least get it right before you post something.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 01:10:00 PM »
On 2005-08-06 09:58:00, Anonymous wrote:

"?Brat camp? confidential: Wilderness school turned life around for Cumberland girl

By Craig Giammona

Ashley Hallett of Cumberland with the dish rack she built at New Dominion School in Dillwyn, Va., where she spent 18 months turning her life around.

Courtesy Ashley Hallett

CUMBERLAND ? On Dec. 15, 2002, Ashley Hallett was sitting in class at Greely High School. Christmas was just over a week away and the blond-haired sophomore didn?t have much on her mind. Then she got a call from her father, who said he was coming to pick her up for a doctor appointment. Hallett was suspicious. It didn?t make sense. She had been to the doctor a few days before and her father?s story was flimsy. She became agitated, but eventually her father arrived and forced her to leave school. She knew something was up when she got to the car and saw her mother sitting in the front seat.

?It didn?t make any sense,? Hallett, now 18, said.

Her parents stuck with the doctor story for about 20 minutes as they drove from Cumberland to Portland. But as the car wound around the Back Cove, Ashley?s parents came clean: They were enrolling her in a wilderness school.

The situation was somewhat similar to that being documented this summer on ?Brat Camp,? an ABC reality television show that premiered earlier this month (although Ashley said the kids on the TV show get away with much more disruptive behavior than she ever would have been allowed).

Ashley?s parents were fed up with her behavior ? she had run away for four days, was drinking, smoking marijuana and generally disrespecting them on a regular basis. They had opted for the last resort.

Ashley started yelling and screaming. There was no way she was leaving her life, her friends, her school. But she didn?t have much choice. The Halletts spent the next 15 hours driving to the Southern Urban Wilderness School in the mountains of North Carolina. When the family would stop for gas, one parent would stay in the car with Ashley while the other paid and bought water and snacks.

?They knew I would try to get out and run away,? Ashley said, ?so one of them had to stay there and watch me.?

Three years removed from the ordeal, Ashley has turned her life around. She speaks of the events in a glib, self-assured manner. Recalling vivid details of the experience, she tells the story matter-of-factly.

?Honestly, I don?t know if I?d be alive right now,? she said, when asked if she had come to understand her parents? decision. In the next beat, though, she admits it took her a long time to forgive them for sending her away.

?I hated them,? she said.

Ashley spent 43 days in North Carolina in a structured program that involved frequent hikes and physical labor. When she first arrived she was sure she?d be home for Christmas, a notion that quickly drifted away in the cold winter air. The first week, she said, was the worst.

At first, she was not able to talk to the other kids and had to write four pages every day that were read by supervisors. Then an ?impact letter? arrived from her parents, detailing their reasons for sending her away. She had to read this in front of the entire group.

The minimum stay at the Wilderness school was 28 days. When that day hit, Ashley thought she was going home.

?Just get me out of here, I?m fine,? was how she described her attitude at the time. Her supervisors ? who give no indication of when a student will be released ? had other plans. They kept Ashley there until Jan. 30, 2003. She had been there for 43 days, but was still apparently not ready to return to Cumberland.

Her next stop was the New Dominion School in Dillwyn, Va., where she spent the next 18 months. The school teaches respect, again through a rigorous program of physical activity.

?Every minute of the day you?re doing something physical,? Ashley said. There is not electricity at the school outside of the dining room where the students eat. ?Being fake? or ?acting like you?re fine when you?re not? is a major violation and one that afflicted Ashley for her first six months in Virginia.

?I still didn?t get it at that point,? she said. ?I still thought I was fine.?

About six months into the program, Ashley said she had a turning point. She can?t quite pin down a particular event that caused the attitude change, but she figured out she was going to be there for a while and should try to do something positive. She had seen friends leave the school and realized she had to change her behavior if she ever wanted to follow them.

She started behaving and earning school hours, one at a time. She eventually worked up to six school hours a day and when she left Virginia in June 2004, after 18 months, she was back on track to graduate with her class.

In fact, Ashley received her high school diploma, on time, in June. Now, she said, she has adjusted to a new life in Cumberland. She no longer sees her old friends, who she describes as ?part of the problem? and instead has reacquainted herself with some close friends she knew growing up, but distanced herself from when she fell in with an older crowd at the start of high school.

?I don?t have to impress anyone,? Ashley said. ?I just don?t care anymore if (my friends) get mad at me for not going out.?

The new-found confidence, she said, derives from having survived her 20-month ordeal. ?No one knows how it feels to go through this,? she said.

Ashley now holds down three jobs ? coaching sailing in Portland, working part-time at Rite Aid and teaching private sailing lessons. She is no rush to go to college, but has a nanny job lined up in the fall and possibly wants to pursue a career as a probation officer.

?I want to do what people did for me,? she says, ?only I don?t want to sleep outside every night.?

Craig Giammona can be reached at [email protected]."

A perfect example of the cult-like experience, they all say this:

?Honestly, I don?t know if I?d be alive right now,? she said,

They convinced her she was a fake and that something was wrong with her, it took six months to break her:

?Being fake? or ?acting like you?re fine when you?re not? is a major violation and one that afflicted Ashley for her first six months in Virginia.

This says it all:

survived her 20-month ordeal

Perpetuation:

?I want to do what people did for me,?

Bottom line: A child with issues blown out of proportion is sent to a brainwashing program to become a well behaved zombie with three jobs, and wants to share the love. The cliches never end.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 01:36:00 PM »
New Dominion is on the HEAL website as a "confirmedly abusive program". That article proves it.

Why are parents these days so eager to put their kids at risk? New Dominion is obviously a cult, like many other teen gulags (Straight, WWASPS, Whitmore, CEDU, etc). It probably uses the same physically and emotionally practices abusive practices used by other gulag cults. There's a wealth of info out there about how damaging these programs/cults are.

Why are parents paying for their kids to go through hell?

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 01:48:00 PM »
These programs are all about getting teenagers to behave, right? Have you ever met members of Reverend Moon's Unification Church? I have met several of them. They are all very well behaved, well groomed and respectful.

I doubt most of the parents would approve of sending 'struggling teens' into the Unification Church, but what they fail to see is that the techniques in the teen programs are exactly the same and have pretty much the same results.

The only difference between a cult and these programs is that the programs lack a specific religious affiliation.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 01:54:00 PM »
On 2005-08-06 10:48:00, AtomicAnt wrote:

"These programs are all about getting teenagers to behave, right? Have you ever met members of Reverend Moon's Unification Church? I have met several of them. They are all very well behaved, well groomed and respectful.

I doubt most of the parents would approve of sending 'struggling teens' into the Unification Church, but what they fail to see is that the techniques in the teen programs are exactly the same and have pretty much the same results.

The only difference between a cult and these programs is that the programs lack a specific religious affiliation."

The teen gulag cults do not fit they classic model of a cult-- a revered leader, a religious-sounding ideology, etc. The gulag cults are "treatment cults", in which instead of worshipping a leader, the members worship a facility or a program, or a method. That doesn't change the fact that these programs are cults.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 02:12:00 PM »
On 2005-08-06 10:54:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"These programs are all about getting teenagers to behave, right? Have you ever met members of Reverend Moon's Unification Church? I have met several of them. They are all very well behaved, well groomed and respectful.

The only difference between a cult and these programs is that the programs lack a specific religious affiliation."

The teen gulag cults do not fit they classic model of a cult-- a revered leader, a religious-sounding ideology, etc. The gulag cults are "treatment cults", in which instead of worshipping a leader, the members worship a facility or a program, or a method. That doesn't change the fact that these programs are cults. "

And they are also a great scam. I was discussing the idea of a TBS with a co-worker who jumped on it. He said, "It's the perfect scam! Instead of going out and having to recruit members, you convince parents to turn over their kids and actually pay the cult to keep them."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »
On 2005-08-06 11:12:00, AtomicAnt wrote:

"

On 2005-08-06 10:54:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

The teen gulag cults do not fit they classic model of a cult-- a revered leader, a religious-sounding ideology, etc. The gulag cults are "treatment cults", in which instead of worshipping a leader, the members worship a facility or a program, or a method. That doesn't change the fact that these programs are cults. "

And they are also a great scam. I was discussing the idea of a TBS with a co-worker who jumped on it. He said, "It's the perfect scam! Instead of going out and having to recruit members, you convince parents to turn over their kids and actually pay the cult to keep them."

"

I'm glad to hear there are people out there who catch on the real purpose of these organizations. And, yeah, it is the perfect scam. It's a shame so many parents are gullible enough to fall for it.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 06:57:00 PM »
http://cms.psychologytoday.com/articles ... 00004.html

Quotes from article: Loose Screw Awards

Here are 10 faulty concepts from the mental health professions that have yet to disappear. Sometimes their effects have been benign; other times, put into practice, such ideas have harmed many people:

3. Meanest
Correctional Boot Camps

In the late 1970s, government leaders were desperately seeking remedies for the nation's soaring crime rate. One solution, inspired in part by the tough love message coming from mental health professionals, was to establish military-style boot camps where harsh discipline and strict regimens would set people straight. The first adult camps were established in 1983, and by the end of the decade, at least 15 states had opened or were developing similar camps for either adults or juveniles.

Although initial reports were encouraging, by the mid-1990s troubling stories began to appear about abuse and sadism at the camps. In 1998 five staff members at a boot camp in Arizona -- including the camp nurse -- were indicted in connection with the death of a 16-year-old inmate. At the time of his death, his body was covered with cuts and bruises -- 71 in all. The camp was eventually shut down, and 16 of its staff members were added to the state's registry of child abusers.

The biggest problem with boot camps, however, is that they just don't do the job. Recidivism of 60 percent or more is common -- as high as, or higher than, recidivism rates generated through more benign programs. Experts on learning have long known that harsh discipline mainly teaches people to be harsh themselves -- and to hate their abusers -- but that message is getting through only belatedly to the boot camp advocates. As the head of a National Institutes of Health panel that studied "get tough" programs nationwide summed it up a few months ago: "All the evaluations have shown [the programs] don't work."

9. The Breakfast Club Award
Adolescent Angst

With so many bad ideas around, it's certain that some of psychology's worst have yet to be exposed. Adolescent angst is a good example. The idea that adolescence is necessarily a time of emotional turmoil was introduced by pioneering psychologist G. Stanley Hall in 1904 and has been widely accepted ever since. It still provides a rationale for America's massive and deeply troubled juvenile justice system, which handles more than 1.5 million teens a year, and it is also at the heart of a wide range of therapeutic treatments for teens.

But Hall based his concept of adolescence on a faulty theory from biology -- "recapitulation theory," according to which each individual creature, as it develops, relives the evolutionary stages of its species. Hall conjectured that teens were reliving a time of "savagery" in our distant past -- "an ancient period of storm and stress." By the 1930s, recapitulation theory had been completely discredited, but this had no effect on Hall's theory, which had by this time taken on its own life.

Teen turmoil, it turns out, is far from inevitable. In a recent review of 186 contemporary preindustrial societies, researchers found that more than half had no sign of it. Yet the idea that teen angst is unavoidable is pervasive in our culture.

Hall's theory has probably set a vicious cycle in motion: Society responds to teen problems (drinking, drug use, pregnancy and so on) with restrictive laws and treatments, which in turn cause more teens to act out and rebel. The tumultuous stage of life we call "adolescence" is, without doubt, a creation of modern culture, not an inevitable stage of human development, and our own culture has produced far more of it than has any other culture in the world -- in part, perhaps, because of a faulty idea from psychology.

Dr. Robert Epstein is West Coast Editor and former Editor in Chief of Psychology Today. He is currently working on a book called The Case Against Adolescence: Rediscovering the Adult in Every Teen

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 09:32:00 PM »
What about

5. Most Likely to Make Good People Feel Bad
Codependency, Enabling and Tough Love

Love and support are generally seen as good things, but in the 1980s, some substance-abuse writers and counselors claimed that the family members of alcoholics "enabled" alcoholism by being too loving. "Tough love," they insisted, was the only solution. What's more, they said, "co- dependent" enablers were themselves almost certainly victims of sexual abuse when they were children. The abuse lowered their self-esteem, which made them more likely to love and support someone unworthy of their attention. Some also insisted that all adult problems were the result of child abuse, and co-dependency was sometimes defined so broadly that almost any act of love or self-sacrifice could fit the definition. Best sellers like Melody Beattie's Codependent No More and Robin Norwood's Women Who Love Too Much thrust these ideas into the public consciousness, where they remain to this day.

Considerable evidence suggests that the codependency idea is dead wrong. In a comprehensive analysis of alcoholism treatment published in 1990, for example, Stanford University psychiatrist Rudolf Moos and his colleagues came to the obvious conclusion that family support helps ex-alcoholics stay sober. Abandoning a substance abuser in the name of "tough love" can sometimes provoke a relapse, and it's certainly hard on family relationships.

As for the child-abuse idea, it too contradicts the evidence. Not everyone who suffers from emotional or behavioral problems as an adult was abused as a child, and not everyone who is abused as a child necessarily develops psychological problems in adulthood.

Given the choice between dancing pigs and security, people will choose dancing pigs every time.
-- Ed Felton (quoted in www-security about Active-X)

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2005, 01:09:00 PM »
I didn't want to use too much space quoting the entire article, so I picked my top two that I thought were most relevant to the Brat Camp topic.

I was searching for studies and other evidence one way or the other regarding the effectiveness of wilderness therapy. I found a study done by a Juvenile Justice Deptartment in Nova Scotia that listed wilderness therapy and other tough love approaches in the section listing ineffective treatments.

Here is a cut-and-paste:

Interventions Shown to be IneffectiveThe following forms of intervention have been proven ineffective in empirical studies accordingto the US Surgeon Generalís Report (Department of
Health and Human Services, 2001) : BootCamps, residential programs in correctional or psychiatric settings, milieu therapy, tokenprograms, transfers to adult court, individual counseling, shock programs and wilderness retreats. Boot Camps are modeled after military basic training with a primary focus on
discipline. Mackenzie and Souryal (1994) concluded that boot camp programs do not reduce recidivism.When compared to traditional forms of incarceration, boot camps produced no significant positiveeffect and increased recidivism. Boot
camps focus very narrowly on physical discipline and donot address a broader range of skills and competencies. Residential programs that occur in psychiatric or correctional institutions show little promise ofreducing subsequent crime and violence in delinquent youth. Research demonstrates consistentlythat any positive effects of residential care diminish once the youth leave the facility.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/just/Publications/ ... yStudy.pdf

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2005, 01:31:00 PM »
On 2005-08-07 10:09:00, AtomicAnt wrote:

"I didn't want to use too much space quoting the entire article, so I picked my top two that I thought were most relevant to the Brat Camp topic.

I was searching for studies and other evidence one way or the other regarding the effectiveness of wilderness therapy. I found a study done by a Juvenile Justice Deptartment in Nova Scotia that listed wilderness therapy and other tough love approaches in the section listing ineffective treatments.

Here is a cut-and-paste:

Interventions Shown to be IneffectiveThe following forms of intervention have been proven ineffective in empirical studies accordingto the US Surgeon Generalís Report (Department of

Health and Human Services, 2001) : BootCamps, residential programs in correctional or psychiatric settings, milieu therapy, tokenprograms, transfers to adult court, individual counseling, shock programs and wilderness retreats. Boot Camps are modeled after military basic training with a primary focus on

discipline. Mackenzie and Souryal (1994) concluded that boot camp programs do not reduce recidivism.When compared to traditional forms of incarceration, boot camps produced no significant positiveeffect and increased recidivism. Boot

camps focus very narrowly on physical discipline and donot address a broader range of skills and competencies. Residential programs that occur in psychiatric or correctional institutions show little promise ofreducing subsequent crime and violence in delinquent youth. Research demonstrates consistentlythat any positive effects of residential care diminish once the youth leave the facility.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/just/Publications/ ... yStudy.pdf"

Seems like the programs (wilderness) do their own research and studies.

Based on what?

Surveys of happy/unhappy campers?

Where the independent research/studies?

This is a huge problem, it seems.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 11:33:00 PM »
On 2005-08-07 10:31:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-08-07 10:09:00, AtomicAnt wrote:

"I didn't want to use too much space quoting the entire article, so I picked my top two that I thought were most relevant to the Brat Camp topic.

Here is a cut-and-paste:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/just/Publications/ ... yStudy.pdf"

Seems like the programs (wilderness) do their own research and studies.

Based on what?

Surveys of happy/unhappy campers?

Where the independent research/studies?

This is a huge problem, it seems.

"

There is a good reason you don't find independent research on WT programs. Researchers focus on a specific diagnosis, such as depression, or ADHD, and then list the possible treatment options and give the results of these various options.

WT programs take pretty much everybody. How do you research that? I can see it now:

Grant Board: What specific diagnosis do you intend to research, applicant?

Applicant: The results of brainwashing programs on all forms of mental and behavior issues teens might be facing.

Grant Board: Uh, yeah, right...

BTW, I was searching through ADHD literature and discovered that the preferred treatment is a combination of medication and cognitive therapy. Behavior modification produced the worst results!

So now I have found separate studies that show for depression, violence, ADHD, and delinquency, tough love programs and behavior modification programs are the LEAST effective treatment options!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 03:34:00 AM »
So now I have found separate studies that show for depression, violence, ADHD, and delinquency, tough love programs and behavior modification programs are the LEAST effective treatment options!

Which studies are these?

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 12:52:00 PM »
What is cognitive therapy, exactly?

My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
-- Ashleigh Brilliant

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."