Author Topic: Lakewood High  (Read 3102 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Lakewood High
« on: May 27, 2002, 11:20:00 PM »
Well, I am from Lakewood, as you know, and so is Scott (scott Free)  
Lakewood in 1973-74 has got to be the strangest place to ever go to high school. Our annual has a picture of a "Seed Loves you" license plate,  which we were all required to put in our car windows. There was no written rule, of course, but if you didn't..... Almost every page of the annual that year has seed kids, there were so many...  We all wore our Seed shirts to school,had identical haircuts courtesy of the Seed Hacker-Barber, and all spoke the same shit and told each other out loud in public "I love you". The other kids called us robots, brainwashed, laughed and ridiculed us.  It sure didn't help my teenage self esteem any, having entered high school on the first day in a Seed T shirt..
Scott also recently sent me a copy of our Lakewood High Newspaper that had an article and interviews with people about the Seed. I remember that edition and had saved it for years. Thanks, Scott
Scott also told me that our Good Friend, Bennet Beverley, Hung himself after graduating the Seed. I don't know when or where, but I would love to find out the details. Anyone whom knows please post the story. Bennett was a gentle soul and it is tragic.
I was thinking about the 90% sucess rate claimed by Art Barker and then by straight. Of course, there is no long term study done or any documentation, and those of us that lived it know better, almost everyone I knew whom went thru that madhouse used drugs or alcohol or at least had a "Druggie attitude" later.  I wonder if they are counting Bennett and Dave Leverone and Chris Kelley as Successfull graduates still?  Dave died of a drug overdose and Chris had a one vehicle accident several years after graduating. Anyone know of other "Successfull graduates" that came to an untimely death or ended up in Jail?
What a farce....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline thom263

• View Profile
Lakewood High
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2002, 10:18:00 PM »
Hi, I graduated the seed in 75(when it closed), and graduated Lakewood in 76.When did Chris Kelley die? Does anyone remember Maggie Canfield?

Offline thom263

• View Profile
Lakewood High
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2002, 10:25:00 PM »
I graduated from the seed in 76(when it shut down),and graduated from Lakewood in 76.We must have crossed paths? Tom

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Lakewood High
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2002, 03:44:00 AM »
Hey Thom, just got back in town. I bet I know you, and I do remember Maggie, what a hottie, skinny, blonde hair. She was on staff in lauderdale after the seed shut down. I know this because I ran into her one day going into the mall in Ft Lauderdale. Long Story.
Chris ran a motorcycle into a tree about three years after graduating the Seed, one vehicle accident.
 I only know this from talking to people, because I was outta there big time!!!
Anyway, email me at [email protected] and let me know your last name, and welcome to this forum!

Offline thom263

• View Profile
Lakewood High
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2002, 12:32:00 PM »
Hey Greg, tried your address at [email protected]

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Lakewood High
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2002, 04:41:00 PM »
Sorry, my new address is [email protected]
my mistake

Offline CW

• View Profile
Lakewood High
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2002, 08:47:00 PM »
I was in the seed almost exactly to the day that you were. My name is Cathy I had a brother named Jim. I also am in the class of 75. Reading everyones experiences has had a very different "feeling" going on for me. I am sad that so many are dead, everyone my best friend Mary and I hung out with our dead, Bennet, David, Mary and me (Cathy) what a forsome. The seed made my best friends kill themselfs. It closed the door of a tourbulent childhood to what was certain to be a horrible adulthood. I was so degraded that if somone told me I was stupid I would agree. My life was in an angels hand because I do not know how I to am alive today. It was like I was sent someone to kill be because I could not end the insanity myself. My marriage made Sleeping With the Enemy seem tame and The Burning Bed look harmless.

Sometimes I feel like it will never be over.

Offline MommaDebi

• View Profile
Lakewood High
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2002, 12:10:00 AM »
welcome to these boards.

You are not alone.

I know that reading these posts helped me to understand that my feelings were not strange or unique...that has helped me to feel much better about the time I spent in the program.

I hope it helps you too.

debi
ex-seedling '73-'74

[ This Message was edited by: MommaDebi on 2002-07-29 21:15 ]
...every five years I look back on my life and have a good laugh...\" {Indigo Girls~~ \"The Watershed\"}

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Lakewood High
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2002, 09:43:00 AM »
Cathy! Tell Jim I said Hello and to give us a visit here.
I am glad you finally posted. Do me a favor, start a new thread and tell us what it was like for you personally to be in the program.
We are trying to encourage as many people as possible to post there individual thoughts and experiences here.
73-74 seed POW
GregFL

Offline shellygillette

• View Profile
Lakewood High
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 10:11:00 PM »
Sorry, am catching up on all this info. I was naive and NEVER knew any of this stuff that I have been reading about. WOW, I'm kinda wacked out by all this  shit. I hated Libby, thought she was wicked witch of the west in looks and spirit, just missing the broom and monkey men. Randy Hobby dead of suicide or OD, not quite sure but certainly missed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Lakewood High
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 02:33:00 AM »
Yes, Randy committed suicide.  Left a wife who's fighting a disease, and beautiful kids.  What an ass!

I am close to that family, and it was such a damned shame.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Lakewood High
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 02:35:00 AM »
BTW- Class of 78, Lakewood.  If you're 74-75, would probably remember my sisters.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Lakewood High
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 03:11:00 AM »
I have a friend not a seedling that committed suicide. Offed herself in the garage in the car and her daughter found her dead body when she came home from school. My daughter was good friends with her and she stayed at my house during the funeral.

I was pissed at the funeral...in fact I will always be pissed at her. Her legacy was leaving a bunch of hurt and pissed of people.  What a selfish fucking thing to do.