Author Topic: YES- TROUBLED PARENTS!  (Read 2081 times)

Offline The Liger

• View Profile
YES- TROUBLED PARENTS!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2005, 12:40:00 AM »
I think that it is a problem that the programs know how to market to parents better than the we do.  I realize that the main purpose of this forum is for people who have been through a program to find support.  Parents, however, stumble upon this site all the time: the parents who actually care to research a program online.  One parent with a daughter at VCA found my Yahoo group because I posted it on this site.  Although I wanted to say, "What are you, dumb?  You dropped you daughter off with strangers and THEN did research?" instead I played diplomat.  I gave her the validation that she needed (Me: "I understand how hard it was for you.  You made the best decision you could under the circumstances.") and told the girls in the group to do the same.  We shared our stories and ultimately she pulled her daughter out.  I do not know that it was BECAUSE of how we treated her that she made that decision, but I am pretty sure that if I had not played diplomat, she would not have listened to me with an open mind.

Look, I did not mean to make a big stink about the new title, and I certainly understand its implication.  I just wanted to raise a point is all.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
t\'s pretty much my favorite animal. It\'s like a lion and a tiger mixed...bred for its skills in magic.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
YES- TROUBLED PARENTS!
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2005, 07:21:00 AM »
How about a compromise: "The Parent Help Industry".  It says the industry is for the benefit of the parents, not the kids, but not in such an obvious way as to be instantly off-putting.

Then there is "The Troubled Troubled Teens Industry".  What did become of that website anyway?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
YES- TROUBLED PARENTS!
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2005, 01:26:00 PM »
"Freedom of speech is never an issue when a popular person expresses an acceptable point of view. It is of real value only because it guarantees us access to the unpopular espousing the unacceptable. Then we can reject or accept it, condemn it or embrace it. No one should have the authority to make that decision for us. Not our own government; and certainly not somebody else's." --Ted Koppel Nightline., Thursday, July 28th, 2005

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/worl ... rview.html

God, I'm gonna miss that old dude!

My aim here has always been to bring out diverse views on these programs. I don't really expect someone who's looking for sugar plums to buy our spinich instead. It's always been more about commentary about the industry and how it works; the awful truth, iow.

My only worry is that it'll drop in the search rankings because no one's searching on the term 'troubled parents'. Hmmm....

An Animated Cartoon Theology:
1. People are animals.
2. The body is mortal and subject to incredible pain.
3. Life is antagonistic to the living.
4. The flesh can be sawed, crushed, frozen, stretched, burned, bombed, and plucked for music.
5. The dumb are abused by the smart and the smart destroyed by their own cunning.
6. The small are tortured by the large and the large destroyed by their own momentum.
7. We are able to walk on air, but only as long as our illusion supports us.
-- E. L. Doctorow "The Book of Daniel"

Straight, Sarasota
   10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
return undef() if /coercion/i;
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
YES- TROUBLED PARENTS!
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2005, 12:29:00 AM »