Author Topic: Carlbrook  (Read 399257 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Carlbrook
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2005, 11:57:00 AM »
On 2005-08-22 12:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The workshops are not confrontational in a negative way and there are no connections to CEDU.  People move around a lot in the industry.  You call that connections????"

Yes!

Being sleepy can impair someone's ability to do thier job.  People
can sleep at home and come to the job with sleepiness still in their system. The sleepiness can still be there long after the employee has slept. When someone is found to be sleepy on the job, they can claim that they went to sleep the night before.  The only solution to this problem is to ban employees from sleeping.

--Arthur Slabosky

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2005, 03:51:00 PM »
On 2005-08-22 18:26:00, Anonymous wrote:

"
Where did all these Carlbrook people come from, all of the sudden, anyway? Curious..."

"all these carlbrook people"?  you must mean karen  :flame: and her multiple personalities and ben's "i'm a big crybaby" dad :cry: .  that's about "all" of them.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2005, 05:17:00 PM »
So- you just can't stand it that people are defending a program so you have to try to discredit the posts by claiming that they belong to just a couple of people. Sorry-these are mainly KIDS posting- not Karen and Ben whoever.
After YOU go and spend 14 or 15 months at Carlbrook and graduate from the program, then you can talk about it.  Until then, shut the fuck up.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »
ha ha ha...you got a great education and great therapy there.  way to handle criticism!   :nworthy:
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2005, 10:56:00 PM »
On 2005-08-23 14:17:00, Anonymous wrote:

"So- you just can't stand it that people are defending a program so you have to try to discredit the posts by claiming that they belong to just a couple of people. Sorry-these are mainly KIDS posting- not Karen and Ben whoever.

After YOU go and spend 14 or 15 months at Carlbrook and graduate from the program, then you can talk about it.  Until then, shut the fuck up."

The more you spew your BS about how you have to experience it to get it, instead of explaining things and accepting criticism, you act more and more like someone who went through an LGA.

Oh, and btw, nobody here is going to ever tolerante LGA-centric programs, even if the programs arent 'abusive' - Mostly because LGAs themselves are what we the problem with anyway! And your experience this, emotion/feeling that, NO CRITICISM OR CRITICAL THOUGHT!!!! type crap, really doesnt do anything but prove us right!

Get out of feeling mode and back into thinking mode and actually engage your mind, and us, not just this experiential BS that you expect normal people to accept. You'll get a lot farther on this forum  :wink:

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.  
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0136374069/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> Andrew Tannenbaum

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2005, 11:18:00 PM »
On 2005-08-23 06:16:00, Anonymous wrote:

"You guys asked for program names, insisting that if there were some good programs out there you wanted to hear about them.  So-you were given Carlbrook.  Oh wait- it can't possibly be good.  All these grads are just brainwashed!  The posts reflect a caring attitude by the staff, openness to individual growth and letting kids find their own way within the bounds of a safe structure.  You severely hurt your credibility and show marked immaturity by refusing to accept that maybe, just MAYBE the folks that run Carlbrook may have hit on a good model.  Is it perfect?  Not at all.  What is?  My kid attended the school and didn't complete the program for reasons unique to him.  However, he came away with some important tools and some great friends- teens and adults.  My kid resisted a lot of the therapy, but loved the workshops. I fought the school on several fronts and disagreed with some of the techniques.  However, there was absolutely no abuse, brainwashing, withholding of food or any of the things you seem to think are part of every program.  There are some staff there that could be better, but there is also the strongest therapeutic team in the industry.

You are hearing from people who actually know what they are talking about.  They actually HAVE experience with this program and are not simply bashing any and all program based on a possible (in most cases none at all) experience with ONE program."

I'm really confused by this post. You fought the school on several fronts and disagreed with several of their techniques, but you thought it was a good program, yes? I am very interested to know what those fronts and techniques were that you disagreed with.

Also, my school didn't withold food, either. We were fed very well, actually. We had to be. We needed that energy to do what we had to do.

Look, I have no idea if the school is good or not. It could be a great school, ok? It's just that my alarms go off when I find out that ex-CEDU/RMA staff and Cascade staff are not only working there, but are DEANS there!

I can't speak for the Cascade guy, because I didn't know him, and I didn't go to Cascade, but I did read testimonials from the place, and it seemed pretty bad, (especially since I haven't found very many positive testimonials) and it got shut down under some very weird circumstances, and I know that some of the staff that went to work for Cascade came from the school I went to. (CEDU/RMA)

Someone said something about "people moving around a lot in the industry." Well, I question the backgrounds of some of the people who are moving. (Not only that, I question the whole industry.) Don't you find it interesting that Tim Brace's bio on the Carlbrook site makes no mention of CEDU/RMA and Grant Price's makes no mention of Cascade? Do they (or someone else) want to distance themseves from those programs, or do they (or someone else) not want prospective parents to find out about it?

Maybe it's just coincidence, though, because they are allowed only a limited amount of space to convey a lot of information, but still. Do you think whoever wrote the webpage may have had a clue about this, or were the faculty allowed to write their own bios?

Interesting to note: I've also seen ex-CEDU/RMA staff bios on other school sites where they are now working, and they don't bother to mention CEDU/RMA in their bios either. (I think maybe one of them did.)

I'd be interested to know how Tim feels about RMA/CEDU now... he sure loved the program when I was there. But then again, so did I.

One thing you said was very key here:
"You are hearing from people who actually know what they are talking about.  They actually HAVE experience with this program and are not simply bashing any and all program based on a possible (in most cases none at all) experience with ONE program"

Yes, we are hearing from people who have been in this program, but who have only been out of this program maybe a few months to a year, so they have very little perspective. I'm seeing dates ranging from 2005 to 2004. Nothing earlier. (And if I start hearing from oldies only after this post, now that I have mentioned it, it will seem suspicious, too.)

I know that for me, it took me several years to deprogram myself, as well as therapy, to get over RMA and really get a clue about things. Before that, I was as gung-ho about RMA as these people were, and would have said the same things as all of the ex-Carlbrook posters in this thread. After a few years, the story will be different, possibly. With RMA/CEDU, there were people who hated it, people who still loved it, and people like me, who felt that the theraputic aspect was totally abusive and dysfunctional, but could give props to the fact that it kept me out of trouble and helped me prepare for college, so view it as a mixed bag.

I'm not expecting Carlbrook to be like RMA, and I'm really not applying the CEDU model to it, because I honestly don't know what it's like there. But I question its program based on its choice of personnel, and it sounded like at one point, you questioned its program, too.

I hope, for the sake of your kid, that the school wasn't a bad place to go, though, or at the very least, it was mild to moderate in terms of the loopyness in terms of therapy. But like I said, my alarm bells go off in terms of some of the faculty who are in charge.

However, hopefully, it's not a bad place to be.

I also question how intensely defensive you are about all of this. No offense, but are you really a parent?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2005, 11:40:00 PM »
And also, the argument that "You must have *experienced* something to critique it." is flawed to its very core.

If that were the case, investigative journalism would be next to impossible, and in fact, almost any kind of constructive critique would be next to impossible. Critique is not based on personal experience, it is based on fact. i.e. these are proven to be dysfunctional therapies because the students suffer from these kinds of symptoms afterwards. Sure, it may spawn out of someone's personal experience, but they can't say that nobody understands because they didn't experience it themselves.

I mean, would you really buy it if someone said "You must have *experienced* what it's like to be a white supremacist, and be raised as a white supremacist, to truly be able to critique our ideology." No!

(And look, I'm not saying Carlbrook has ANYTHING to do with Nazis, so don't go there, ok?)

It touches on Nihl's comment about "ad hominem" arguments. That "you have to know how we are feeling to really understand what this place is like!"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2005, 08:42:00 AM »
I suspect the omission of the Cascade references had something to do with a non-compete arrangement at the time of the staff's departure from Cascade.

The point isn't whether you need to have actual experience to have an opinion, but that on this forum ALL programs are lumped together as bad when most of you are not looking at facts and have no reason to make this judgement.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2005, 08:16:00 PM »
On 2005-08-24 05:42:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I suspect the omission of the Cascade references had something to do with a non-compete arrangement at the time of the staff's departure from Cascade.

The point isn't whether you need to have actual experience to have an opinion, but that on this forum ALL programs are lumped together as bad when most of you are not looking at facts and have no reason to make this judgement. "

Well, I'm looking at the fact that ex-CEDU and Cascade staff are Deans there. And that is cause for concern. That is a fact. And there is a shitload of information on the web you can find out about CEDU/RMA and Cascade if you want to. (More CEDU than Cascade)

I would reccomend the periodicals, since they would be the most impartial. (Such as the Idaho Spokespan/Idaho Press for RMA) I'm not sure what the names of the newspapers are in the Running Springs area.

I still haven't said outright that your school is nutty or screwed up, either. I'm just saying that their choice of personnel is suspect.

Offline alternativa

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2005, 08:39:00 PM »
Carlbrook has the many of the usual suspects working there, and it's closed from the outside world.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2005, 10:18:00 PM »
It's not too closed to the outside world.  The kids sure are getting into good colleges.

Offline genpollux3754

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2005, 06:13:00 PM »
I am a graduate from the Carlbrook School.  I am 17 and graduted the program with the Mu class in July of 2005... i am staying for another 3 weeks to finish up my last credits for high school.  If you have any questions, please ask.  I wont lie to you; there are a lot of negatives about the school, but the truth of the matter is that it turned my life around and has helped me incredibly.  i would personally recommend it.
ha\'s yo ass, boy...

Offline genpollux3754

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2005, 06:15:00 PM »
amen... Lambda/Mu rules!  (you know who this is)
ha\'s yo ass, boy...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2005, 11:13:00 AM »
Genpollux- what would you say are the negatives and the positives about Carlbrook?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2005, 02:22:00 PM »
I have a slightly different perspective on Carlbrook. I never heard of this school until today. I am a LMSW (Licensed Master of Social Work) and found a job listing for Carlbrook on the NASW (National Association of Social Workers) website. The job advertisement was misleading: it made Carlbrook sound like a boarding school for the intellectually gifted student. I was shocked that they are willing to consider "MSWs in progress". That means they are willing to hire unlicensed social workers.

When I went to the Carlbrook website, I learned that the therapists / counselors are called "advisors." Many have graduated from unaccredited schools of psychology and social work. Looks like lots of internet degrees from universities in the Carribean. Few, if any, seem to have credentials that would get them a state license to practice psychology or social work.

Then I read about the Wilderness Therapy prerequisite. Wilderness Therapy is NOT research proven effective. And the benefits are highly questionable. I would never refer any child or family to such a program.

Next, I read about the Dean's experience at CEDU and Cascade here.

This all amounts to one thing for me: Something smells fishy. I am going to write to the NASW about my concerns.

Perhaps Carlbrook is a decent place. But I won't attach my name to this type of organization. Too many red flags.