Author Topic: Carlbrook  (Read 510246 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2005, 11:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the good post, Carlbrook grad. Good luck at Bryn Mawr. My teen left Carlbrook a year before you and has been very successful even though he didn't finish the Carlbrook program.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2005, 11:46:00 PM »
I am a graduate from Carlbrook School.  This place gave me the second chance that I always needed.  I may have not liked it a lot, I mean while you're there you don't really like it.  But the friends I made there are eternal, and the lessons about life about respect about love about hope are just what any teenager needs to get through this world today.  I have a future now because of Carlbrook.  I have my family back and most importantly, I have myself back.  I had lost love and respect for myself over the years and when I went to Carlbrook I realized that I deserve better than what I had been giving myself.  You see, I have had a lot to deal with in my life, and I don't really want to go into the details, but if Carlbrook hadn't had been there to support me, I don't know where I would be today.  Even NOW, I still have Carlbrook.  I keep in touch with all of my close friends and staff members.  If I need help with anything, I know that they will always be there to support me, NO MATTER what.  The most amazing thing about Carlbrook is that there are so many teens there with so many issues and problems that they must deal with, but the school as a whole is just so welcoming.  I mean, it doesn't matter what the hell is "wrong" with the kid, everyone is treated equally and with just as much love and compassion as the other.  Its like no matter what has gone on in your past, its your past and you need to work through it because you've got a future to live and that future could change the world, even if its just a little.  This school is based on integrity, yea, but it is also based on a strong foundation of friendship and love and hope, and if anyone says differently then they obviously have no clue what they are talking about and should just butt out of something that they don't even have first hand experiance with.  I promise, this school has opened so many doors for me and helped me realize the potential I have.  I hope you seriously consider Carlbrook.  Its not only a beautiful campus but it is also a beautiful family.  I still consider it my home away from home.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2005, 11:58:00 PM »
Ok, so all of the grads are posting something on here because they care. Thank god, people care. When it comes down to it, its about love. Love of life, love of understanding, of peace, of people. Its simple...this is what I learned at Carlbrook, how to trust myself in a world full of people that dont want me to, in a world full of people that trust no one. How to love myself and love others. its simple. Some un-trusting person is probably reading these replies and thinking "God, these people are really under cover Carlbrook staff, trying to brainwash the world" This whole thing, is so human of us, to bash one of the things in this world that is tring to love and help. Because Carlbrook isnt normal, and people dont like the unfamiliar. So if you dont understand, you will never unless you attend Carlbrook yourself or let your son or daughter go there if they need it, hopefully they wont. This school is the definition of beauty and trust, forgivness and hope.
Ps...Likayou is a strong woman, not some brainwashed freak, she knows what she is talking about!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2005, 12:06:00 AM »
I am an alumni, i graduated in December of 04. And i think that dude needs to shut the hell up, he has no idea what he is talking about.  You cant really say things about carlbrook until you actually expierience it.   :flame:  i was sent to carlbrook for various things.  From sneaking out, skipping school, i thought i was pregnant, i ran away, i always lied.  I left with honor, and with a sense of direction.  I was able to get comfortable enough to admit why and realize why i did certain things and acted in a certain way.  My dad and i never really got along before i went to carlbrook and now he is like one of my best friends.  i have the best friends i have ever had at that school, ones i will have forever.  Some of them have written on here.  ITs like one huge family, that just tries to take you back to a simpiler time and work your way back and figure out why you started to do some bad things.  For example for me it was when my parents got divorced i started to feel like i was alone and not loved, so i started lashing out at my parents and not caring about much of anything and one thing led to another.  Thats what carlbrook does it takes you through those steps and you work with your parents in straitening things out and so they can understand and they can work too.  It was the best thing that ever happened to me.  I think in a way every child should go through some of program like this.  And that person who keeps commenting who doesnt knoew what they are talking about please stop i take offense to it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2005, 05:21:00 AM »
I think maybe the reason some people in this thread are getting bent out of shape about Carlbrook is because the dean of Carlbrook is Tim Brace, an old faculty alum from the CEDU schools.

It might have been mentioned in this thread already, though. I read through it and didn't see it, but I may have missed it.

Ultimately, it's about choosing the lesser of many evils, in some cases. Maybe it will take a few years for Carlbrook alum to come out and say "God I hated that school, it was totally screwed up.", since the school seems to be rather new, or maybe they won't come out at all, if the school is really ok.

Maybe Tim managed to take what little good there was out of the CEDU experience and apply it to another school, without all of the other abusive, humiliating crap that went along with it, who knows? I will say, some of the student testimonials I have read about Carlbrook do sound a little on the brainwashed side, but that doesn't worry me. It's nothing a little all night college partying and a few keggers and maybe some sticky, red bud won't fix, if the school is truly as mild as everyone from the place says it is.

As for the "no locks on the doors" argument, RMA and CEDU didn't have locks on their doors, either. They didn't need them. There are other ways to keep kids in line than by pure brute force, that can be just as dysfunctional.

I'm not saying Carlbook is guilty of any wrongdoing or not, because I didn't go there, and I've never been there. But my point is that the "no locks on doors" argument holds no water in my book.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2005, 09:42:00 AM »
Tim is highly respected at Carlbrook.  However, he is not the one in charge.  That would be Grant Price, a Cascade alum, and his partner Justin Merritt, another Cascade alum and a Harvard grad.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2005, 10:39:00 AM »
what does tim have to do with anything? Tim is great; everyone loves him and he does a lot for a lot of families and their kids.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2005, 02:37:00 PM »
Carlbrook isnt the place brainwashing kids, its the place the dismantles the brainwashing that kids get from MTV, or video games or society telling them they are bad. The reason why these kids may sound a little brainwashed is because they speak the pure truth, and have found something that most people dont ever understand.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2005, 03:13:00 PM »
Carlbrook uses confrontational "workshops" and it has connections to CEDU.

What more do you people need to see that that place is dangerous?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2005, 03:55:00 PM »
The workshops are not confrontational in a negative way and there are no connections to CEDU.  People move around a lot in the industry.  You call that connections????

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2005, 09:26:00 PM »
Wow, there sure are a lot of ex-Carlbrook people here who have gotten awfully frothy about their program being attacked, (or even questioned, by some of the more mild posters.) You guys certainly did come out fighting.

What's so threatening about people seeing things a little bit differently? Why take such offense? If they didn't go there and don't know what they are talking about, why not just say "Psh, whatever, these idiots have no idea what they are saying." and let it go at that? I mean, I understand the testimonials about how great your school is, I'm more talking about how heated it gets when people question the program. (Whether they are accurate about it or not.)

Seriously, what do you care what other people think?

Where did all these Carlbrook people come from, all of the sudden, anyway? Curious...

Should the Fornit's people start a Carlbrook forum, ya think? Just for shits n' giggles, and to piss people off?

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2005, 09:43:00 PM »
Congrats on the ad hominem bullshit. Its not impressing anyone except those who are already gone.

Yeah, my life is hard, whoopie shit... that means nothing. 1+1=2 regardless of who says it, and I dont care who sees me bitching in my LJ. Its what its for - if you feel bad you can bitch and whine all you want to vent, and then move on with life.

BTW, all youre doing is dodging what Ive had to say, and turning around to attack me. I dont care if *YOU* are convinced otherwise, but anyone with a brain and an education can see what youre doing. Im presenting facts, and you're saying that Im messed up mentally and need help to get through it.

I need my dad to stop taking money from my mother, I need transportation that doesnt require constant maintainance, I need a steady job, and I need the stress my dad is putting upon my family lifted, NOT sunshine blown up my ass in a seminar to feel better about it, and then run around spewing a bunch of bullshit about how everyone has to 'experience' something to understand it. I dont want a bunch of lies, I want my REALITY to improve and Im working towards that.

Now, back to the topic instead of more ad hominem bullshit :roll: the way all the carlbrook defenders are acting is the way people from LGA seminars act to a "t". NO details, no facts, no substance, just a lot of words and vagueness. Basically, blowing smoke and saying you have to experience to get it. Its a 'workshop', not drugs or the afterlife!

So, when I accuse Carlbrook of being just a front for seminars which is all about emotionally breaking people down, pulling out all their personal shit, being confrontational, and taking advantage of the psychological regression that results from hours and hours of that emotionally punishing bullshit... what do they do? They talk about 'feelings' instead of facts, they say you cant understand it unless you experience it, and then they CONFRONT me with my own personal shit.

That is an LGA, and a cult (theyre inseperable) in a nutshell, folks. Read up!

Yeah, my life is stressful and shitty, but the truth is the truth, regardless of who says it, and violating my mind and my innermost thoughts (Which you call being out of your comfort zone) to fill me up with bullshit and destroy my ability to think critically and replace it with 'feelings' and 'emotions' and 'experiences' and make me into some boneheaded zombie-hippy is bullshit.

Quick! Go play "Desperado" and pull yourself back into that reduced state before I make you think too hard!

Trying to discredit everything I say as if we're required to accept what the workshop facilitators say as the gospel-truth (and it is, to you!) without saying why, and without backing it up, isn't going to work. ADULTS, especially in the REAL WORLD, ARE critical, DO require facts, evidence, and proof of what you say, not just "accept what we say because we went through some secretive experience".

Id wager the vast majority of parents who were looking for help for their kid, if they WERENT terrified and being manipulated by a program salesperson, and saw the facts of what goes on instead of having it revealed to them after the child is put in there, would choose out of this. Disinformation, or simply a lack of it, isn't selling this on me. Present facts instead of attacking me (We're NOT in one of your confrontational seminars, and youre not going to humiliate me) and saying "oh, you gotta experience it".

Now, for those who read this all the way down, sorry Im so long winded, but I had a lot of points to make. I speak of facts, they speak of feelings and shun criticial thought and facts! I say theyre acting like a cult and they go and start ad-hominem attacks on me because I have a stressful personal life and do their damnest to act like one.

Whoever kindles the flames of intolerance in America is lighting a fire underneath his own home.
--Harold E. Stassen, 1947

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2005, 09:46:00 PM »
On 2005-08-08 10:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Another point- no one is locked up at Carlbrook. You can walk down the road anytime.  "

Hyde School in Maine could say the same thing.
They just told your parents to throw you out
on the street if you didn't like Hyde.

It sucks when decent, hardworking people get screwed over like that. Because that means pricks like us don?t stand a chance.

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com' target='_new'>Jim S. watching the devastation of the recent tsunami on the television at JR?s

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2005, 11:28:00 PM »
Mind games, threats, coersion, lies, etc - all of those can keep someone in a program just as good as physical locks.

Plus, they could simply not have a lock on it, and if someone ran off they'd get jumped by orderlies or higher level kiddos and drug back inside.

Oh, and if they do run off, and get caught, where are they sent to instead? A "harsher program?"

P.S. - just why is it that people are starting to be convinced this is necessary or even a good idea? People got by without programs for a long time and the vast majority of the world does too.

All I ask is equal freedom.  When it is denied, as it always is, I take it anyhow.
--H.L. Mencken

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2005, 09:16:00 AM »
You guys asked for program names, insisting that if there were some good programs out there you wanted to hear about them.  So-you were given Carlbrook.  Oh wait- it can't possibly be good.  All these grads are just brainwashed!  The posts reflect a caring attitude by the staff, openness to individual growth and letting kids find their own way within the bounds of a safe structure.  You severely hurt your credibility and show marked immaturity by refusing to accept that maybe, just MAYBE the folks that run Carlbrook may have hit on a good model.  Is it perfect?  Not at all.  What is?  My kid attended the school and didn't complete the program for reasons unique to him.  However, he came away with some important tools and some great friends- teens and adults.  My kid resisted a lot of the therapy, but loved the workshops. I fought the school on several fronts and disagreed with some of the techniques.  However, there was absolutely no abuse, brainwashing, withholding of food or any of the things you seem to think are part of every program.  There are some staff there that could be better, but there is also the strongest therapeutic team in the industry.
You are hearing from people who actually know what they are talking about.  They actually HAVE experience with this program and are not simply bashing any and all program based on a possible (in most cases none at all) experience with ONE program.