Author Topic: Carlbrook  (Read 556476 times)

Offline friends committee

• View Profile
Re: Carlbrook
« Reply #2535 on: July 08, 2008, 12:23:51 AM »
worse than the christian richt.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: July 08, 2008, 10:18:53 AM »
An old thread... lost lots of pages apparently...

What's been going on with Carlbrook?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: July 24, 2008, 10:28:49 PM »
My ex-wife is sending my son to Carlbrook against my wishes.  Is their anyone that has resently attended Carlbrook that is willing to share their experiences with me?  

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #2538 on: July 24, 2008, 10:59:55 PM »
Quote from: "Edisto"
My ex-wife is sending my son to Carlbrook against my wishes.  Is their anyone that has resently attended Carlbrook that is willing to share their experiences with me?  
I know a one Carlbrook parent who might be willing to talk with you on this subject.  I'll alert her to your message.  Can you email me a way to contact you (even email) to http://fornits.com/smf/index.php?topic=20531.0
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: July 24, 2008, 11:51:51 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: October 08, 2008, 02:14:15 AM »
Do not sent your child to Carlbrook, as long as Grant Price is still in charge. For eleven months, I begged my parents to be sent anywhere else. Not home, just somewhere else. If forcing your child into treatment really seems like your best and only option, take a look at the Oakley School. For me, it was far less damaging and a lot easier to get into college from, as well as far more realistic, providing a little bit of freedom and seeing what you do with it, then tailoring the program to you from there. You get to be a lot more active and it provides far more opportunities for growth. Carlbrook needs to be shut down-- I can see that it began with good intentions but the fact that there have been two attempted "uprising" or "underground" situations in the last few years should be telltale enough, and the therapy is aggressive and hostile.

« Reply #2541 on: October 08, 2008, 07:57:18 AM »
Quote from: "Extreatmentkid"
Do not sent your child to Carlbrook, as long as Grant Price is still in charge. For eleven months, I begged my parents to be sent anywhere else. Not home, just somewhere else. If forcing your child into treatment really seems like your best and only option, take a look at the Oakley School. For me, it was far less damaging and a lot easier to get into college from, as well as far more realistic, providing a little bit of freedom and seeing what you do with it, then tailoring the program to you from there. You get to be a lot more active and it provides far more opportunities for growth. Carlbrook needs to be shut down-- I can see that it began with good intentions but the fact that there have been two attempted "uprising" or "underground" situations in the last few years should be telltale enough, and the therapy is aggressive and hostile.

The Carlbrook "school" is a cult masquerading as a school that operates as a rentable gulag/torture chamber. It was founded by former Cedu disciples and gurus and continues the Synanon  tradition of cultic torture.

Pysborge, will you fill everyone in on the particulars, please.

There will be a site dedicated to Cedu and its reincarnations soon that will be very, very public. I hope you'll provide your testimony there, friend.

Also, the people who founded carlbrook DO NOT have good intentions. They are quite aware of their criminality, hence their secrecy and duplicity.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: October 08, 2008, 01:25:14 PM »
Quote from: "Extreatmentkid"

Ha,Ha,Ha, you are so funny! We get the same posts over and over on fornits just like this, around and round we go! Carlbrook is a safe school that helps kids, and doesn't need to be shut down. What needs to be shut is your mouth, for making up lies and harming a reputable school. Fornits attracts a certain breed of asshole just like you, just be lucky you aren't my kid I wouldn't take this kind of crap from you. You'd get a swift kick in the jaw for making up stories like this.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: October 08, 2008, 01:28:09 PM »
Quote from: "thewho...."

Whargarrrble bullshit bullshit bullshit

Good lord, get over yourself.  ::)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: January 11, 2009, 10:37:12 PM »
Do any parents want to comment on recent experiences at Carlbrook?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: March 11, 2009, 10:22:33 PM »
I'm a Carlbrook dad. My son has been there for 10 months after 7 weeks at SUWS Idaho.

What would you like to know?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: March 12, 2009, 09:30:10 AM »
Quote from: "JD"

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #2547 on: March 12, 2009, 12:24:11 PM »
Quote from: "JD"

A couple questions, to start....

Is parent-child communication severed, restricted or monitored at any time?  How?  What was the explanation the program gave you for this practice?

What are the parent seminars like?  Did you find them odd?
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: March 17, 2009, 05:07:03 PM »
I graduated from Carlbrook in 2008 after being there for 19 months (plus 3 months of wilderness therapy). Communication IS monitored. All incoming and outgoing letters are screened. My parents and I often didn't get each others' letters or huge hunks were edited out (we would bring up parts of the letters on phone calls only to discover that they had been mysteriously removed). Phone calls are monitored by Laura The Phone Lady as well. If you have a "tone" in your voice or say anything anti-Carlbrook, she emails your adviser and you are punished with bans/an Action Plan/suspension/taken away visits/etc. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

At Carlbrook, I was a golden child -- supported workshops, Head of the Friends Committee, Prefect, etc...however, after graduating and looking back, I realize how completely brainwashed I was.

Carlbrook is preferable to hellholes like Elan and Island View, but I still recognize how unnecessary and scarring some of my experiences were there. Being forced to go to my own funeral, being hit on by creepy old teachers, being viciously destroyed verbally in group for no reason (false accusations happened all the time at Carlbrook and there was no way to deny them), being convinced that I was crazy and disgusting so that they could "fix me" and show me how I wasn't (even though I never thought I was in the first place...), etc.

Carlbrook taught me the valuable lesson of how to know when to bend over and take it up the ass, honestly. Carlbrook taught me how to pick my battles and when it was best to submit and just play along. I got some good stuff out of Carlbrook (good friends, Andy Coe, etc.) but overall it screwed me up.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: March 20, 2009, 04:13:57 AM »
Quote from: "psy"
Is parent-child communication severed, restricted or monitored at any time?  How?  What was the explanation the program gave you for this practice?

At the beginning the regularly-scheduled phone calls are biweekly. I believe they after the first workshop we got weekly calls. My son has not mentioned any monitoring of the calls, has not help back comments and has not mentioned any repercussions for comments made. LK's comment about Laura makes no sense unless her calls were earlier in the day than ours since Laura is not there in the evenings.

They will also set up regular calls to siblings and grandparents if requested.

I have had occassion to request unscheduled calls and have never been denied.

Letters do go through the advisor but I have seen no evidence of censoring.

It is completely illogical to believe that censoring exists. You have time alone with your child during visits and they'd be nuts to think that things aren't said. We had a situation that we brought to admin's attention and it resulted in a procedural change to improve one of the workshops. Everyone is pleased with the change and my son was thanked for being the impetus for that change.

IMO, you create your own paranoia.

Quote from: "psy"
What are the parent seminars like?  Did you find them odd?

The parent meetings are a mixed bag. They are at times silly, uncomfortable and repetitive. Other times they are interesting, informative and beneficial. I'm sure some parents with no experience with similar exercises find them particularly odd, but you need to take from them what you want, what works for you, and leave the rest behind. There is no one-size-fits-all. If you're an adult you should have the ability to deal with it. Much of what goes on is no different than what you might experience at a corporate retreat or in an organization like the Jaycees.

Is CB perfect? Of course not, but it's done wonders for us. My son is happy and lookng forward to attending one of the 6 universities he's been accepted to -- schools that would not have been possible otherwise.