Author Topic: 'Brat Camp' not an easy decision  (Read 9133 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
'Brat Camp' not an easy decision
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 11:41:00 PM »
The producer paid full tuition for the 'contestants'
http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.ph ... &forum=9&1
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2005, 07:09:00 PM »
On 2005-07-28 18:51:00, Antigen wrote:

"These don't look like impoverished parents to me.

To say the drug war is a failure is like saying the Hindenburg was short a few fire extinguishers.
http://mapinc.org/drugnews/v01/n808/a10.html' target='_new'>Carl Hiassen

"

You don't need to be "poor" to be unable to afford such a thing. I am by no means poor, but without the school system and my father's help, we could never have paid that bill.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2005, 07:30:00 PM »
The school district paid for a wilderness experience? Or was it a 'therapeutic' warehouse? Either case, tax payer money which is supposed to go to 'education' is paid for 'therapy', and little to no education.
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2005, 08:23:00 PM »
On 2005-07-28 20:41:00, Deborah wrote:

"

The producer paid full tuition for the 'contestants'

http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.ph ... &forum=9&1"

I don't know about the small print for the SageWalk Brat Camp but in the original show at RedCliff Ascent the TV company payed the fees but if the parent pulled the kid for any reason prior to 'graduation' they had to pay it ALL back.  Most of the parents couldn't afford that kind of money which is why they put their kids on TV in the first place.  One of the parents was on the point of pulling her child (who was on suicide watch) but decided against it.  I wonder how much the money played a part in that decision.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2005, 11:40:00 AM »
Here's another way to pay those expensive fees.  Write a book about it and publicize it on the back of Brat Camp:

?Brat Camp,? ABC?s Hottest TV Show Mirrors Author?s Experience With Her Own OUT OF CONTROL TEEN

http://www.expertclick.com/NewsReleaseW ... il&ID=9685

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2005, 08:37:00 PM »
"Mabe they feel that if everyone knows what is going on, the kids will have more support when they return home. Who knows, just a thought."

Sorry, that sounds like a load of crap to me.  The kids will just be added to the ranks of pseudo-celebrities, recognized for a short time, and then left to rebuild their lives off-camera, coming to terms with what happened to tham and that they were involved in a really sick experiment for ratings, profit, and publicity.  I hope they sue.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2005, 09:07:00 PM »
On 2005-07-29 16:09:00, Anonymous wrote:

You don't need to be "poor" to be unable to afford such a thing. I am by no means poor, but without the school system and my father's help, we could never have paid that bill. "

Well, the way I look at it, if you're living in a $200k+ house and think you have to beg or borrow money from your family and from me (the tax payor) for something you believe your kid needs, you have absolutely no business telling your kid or anyone else about priorities and responsibility.

Live within your means. Set an example. You might be surprised how much easier it is to earn respect than to beat it out of the kid.

[Religion is] the daughter of hope and fear, explaining to ignorance the nature of the unknowable.
--Ambrose Bierce

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2005, 10:44:00 PM »
On 2005-07-29 16:30:00, Deborah wrote:

"

The school district paid for a wilderness experience? Or was it a 'therapeutic' warehouse? Either case, tax payer money which is supposed to go to 'education' is paid for 'therapy', and little to no education.

"
The school system paid for one half of the program because the realized they had failed to educate my child. I would attend PPT's, year after year, and BEG for extra help IN school.
Sitting in the front row isn't the answer for a learning disablity.
Getting pushed through the cracks for five years, crushed any self esteem the poor kid had remaining.
If the school had helped us when I asked the first time, It would have cost very little.
 I got desparate and hired a special ed attorney.
How long do we allow administrator's to deny our childern an approprate education? I pay taxes TOO and got sick of their denial.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2005, 11:19:00 PM »
Well, sitting in the front might help some, but I get your point.
Depending on the school district or a program is not the solution to learning disabilities either.

If the district isn't meeting a child's educational needs, then it's seems to me that it is incumbant on the caring parent to see that they're met.

Brat Camp participant Nick was sent because he'd been teased about his Dyslexia until he was exhibiting frustration and anger. Who's going to see to it that he gets the help he should have gotten a long time ago? Behavior Modification is also not the solution to learning disabilities.

Public school 'works' for about 25% of kids. Why do people keep trying to 'force' the other 75% to adjust? The entire system needs a total redesign of structure and philosophy, or to be shut down completely?

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2005, 02:42:00 AM »
Public school sucks!  Even "smart" kids (w/ high IQ & who tests well) can easily fail.  Private school is really the only way to go.  I don't know about other cities, but here in Dc there are like 50 private schools.  When I was about to be released from PCS, I was first told that I would go to private day school in the city, and that I could pick one myself.  I was then told that I would have to go to boarding school, which was fine.   Apparently, my parents had expected me to show some radical behaviour changes, and were beginning to see that this was not to be.  I guess they wanted me to be lobotamized.
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2005, 02:46:00 AM »
P.S.  Fuck you, Mom and Dad!  You guys are idiots, I hate you.
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2005, 12:45:00 PM »
On 2005-07-31 20:19:00, Deborah wrote:

"

Depending on the school district or a program is not the solution to learning disabilities either.

If the district isn't meeting a child's educational needs, then it's seems to me that it is incumbant on the caring parent to see that they're met.

Brat Camp participant Nick was sent because he'd been teased about his Dyslexia until he was exhibiting frustration and anger. Who's going to see to it that he gets the help he should have gotten a long time ago? Behavior Modification is also not the solution to learning disabilities.

Public school 'works' for about 25% of kids. Why do people keep trying to 'force' the other 75% to adjust? The entire system needs a total redesign of structure and philosophy, or to be shut down completely?

"

Thanks for understanding.
Wilderness programs really don't academically educate kids.
 What they do achieve (hopefully) is, reflection on their lives, their families, higher self worth and goal setting. All while being free from booze, drugs, music, fashion, TV, and negetive friends. With all that missing, with some luck, they will take with them a new additude and life expectations. From there, a school change is a wise choice.
Our family is much better off today then we would have been if we hadn't made this difficult choice.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2005, 12:54:00 PM »
On 2005-08-02 09:45:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-07-31 20:19:00, Deborah wrote:

"

"

Thanks for understanding.
Wilderness programs really don't academically educate kids.
 What they do achieve (hopefully) is, reflection on their lives, their families, higher self worth and goal setting. All while being free from booze, drugs, music, fashion, TV, and negetive friends. With all that missing, with some luck, they will take with them a new additude and life expectations. From there, a school change is a wise choice.
Our family is much better off today then we would have been if we hadn't made this difficult choice."

In other words, break their spirit then dump them in a therapeutic community until they are too old to be kept under lock and key by order of their own parents.

That's twisted!

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2005, 02:41:00 PM »
On 2005-07-31 23:42:00, bandit1978 wrote:

"Public school sucks!  Even "smart" kids (w/ high IQ & who tests well) can easily fail.  Private school is really the only way to go.  I don't know about other cities, but here in Dc there are like 50 private schools.  When I was about to be released from PCS, I was first told that I would go to private day school in the city, and that I could pick one myself.  I was then told that I would have to go to boarding school, which was fine.   Apparently, my parents had expected me to show some radical behaviour changes, and were beginning to see that this was not to be.  I guess they wanted me to be lobotamized.  
"

My IQ tests for the A/G or G.T. programs (which is being stuck in the magnet program so I go to the shittiest school in the county w/ my other geeky peers in our own little enclave in the corner of the school to average out the shitty test scores  :roll: ) would get me in MENSA. (I checked :roll:

So, I finally ditch the HS ratrace, drop out because I HAVE to drop out to get my GED (I wanted to do it while still enrolled and then just stop doing work until someone asked why, and shove it in their face  :lol: but I was told I ahd to drop out to take the GED program) and enroll in the GED program the next day.

I am required to have 12 hours in it before I can take the test, so I spend them tutoring other people. I ace the test with 99th percentiles on everything except english, which I got a 86th on because I tend to suck at interpretation of literature. Oh, and I missed ONE question on history, but I probably just filled in the wrong damn bubble.

So, now Im in college, and what happens? I take the entry test, I get 99% on the english thing and am placed HIGH (wtf?) and Im behind on math because highschool math here was... well, shit! Thanks public school!

The most important thing in the programming language is the name. A language will not succeed without a good name. I have recently invented a very good name and now I am looking for a suitable language.  
-- D. E. Knuth, 1967

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2005, 02:44:00 PM »
Around here, the public schools are descent in the rich uperclass white areas. The public schools are a joke in the urban, minority schools however.

Whey do I get the feeling this is done on purpose?

I am a supporter of the voucher program, let all the kids parents decide where they go!