Author Topic: i was in TLC  (Read 45691 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
i was in TLC
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2006, 11:10:00 AM »
On 2006-01-18 08:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I feel bad for all of you that had a bad experience at Thayer Learning Center.

I worked at Thayer from 9/03 to 12/03 as a Staff Sergeant.  I will admit that we did hire a few Sergeants that were not qualified for the job.  I tried to be as fair as I could with all of the Cadets that I came in contact with.

During my time at TLC I would exercise with both the Male and Female cadets every time I had the chance as well as trying to give them a brake when needed.

Please give credit to those Sergeants that really tried to do the best they could with you guys.  It wasn't the easiest thing to be in charge of 40+ teenagers that really didn't want to be there.

I do want to say that I had a blast with those cadets that were willing to work us Sergeants and do what we asked them to do."

What were you impressions of TLC?  I see you were there for only a short time, why?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
i was in TLC
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2006, 11:18:00 AM »
I was at TLC for a short time only because I was waiting to be accepted to a college I wanted to go to, otherwise I would have stayed.

I knew a lot of cadets there and I really liked all of them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
i was in TLC
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2006, 11:27:00 AM »
What do you think of the treatment model that is used at Thayer?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
i was in TLC
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2006, 11:51:00 AM »
As I said before we had some Sergeants that weren't the best.  There were a few times that I saw a Sergeant step in front of a cadet that was trying to hurry back to his room.  I talked to the Sergeant and got on his case for that.  He stopped.
I did see some other things go on there but I tried to put a stop to as much as I could.  When I say other things I don't mean HUGE things.  At least that I saw personally.
Not all of the Sergeants at Thayer were Assholes.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
i was in TLC
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2006, 11:53:00 AM »
But what do you think of the treatment model they use?  I understand your views on the Sgts. that were there, but what about the basics of the program?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
i was in TLC
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2006, 12:02:00 PM »
I know people will hate me for this but I agree with the Smoke Sessions and with the amount of exercising the cadets have to do.

Is there something particular you have in mind?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
i was in TLC
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »
What are smoke sessions?  

I'm interested in the entirety of the treatment model.  The philosophy of TLC.  I'd like to hear from someone who actually worked there what they think it is and their thoughts on it how effective it is.

Offline tlcrescue

• View Profile
i was in TLC
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2006, 12:45:00 PM »
On 2006-01-18 08:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"As I said before we had some Sergeants that weren't the best.  There were a few times that I saw a Sergeant step in front of a cadet that was trying to hurry back to his room.  I talked to the Sergeant and got on his case for that.  He stopped.

I did see some other things go on there but I tried to put a stop to as much as I could.  When I say other things I don't mean HUGE things.  At least that I saw personally.

Not all of the Sergeants at Thayer were Assholes."

you are right.  not all of them may have mistreated the students.  But the fact that it continues to happen to this day, and it hasn't stopped, tends to lead toward the theory that whoever is ultimately in charge KNOWS that it happens and does nothing to stop it.  That in itself is wrong!  Plus, if they are having this many problems with instructors, they obviously need to screen a little better before they put someone in charge of students like that.  I understand that the whole point is to teach the children a lesson, so to speak, but that doesn't mean you intentionally physically harm them, deny them privileges like the ability to use the restroom, deny them food, force them to sleep in their own urine/escrement, force them to work in the snow without adequate protection, "smoke them" because one person got out of line, take them down because you "feel like it", deny them medical care when it is absolutely necessary.  I could go on and on, but I will stop for now.  There are proper ways to handle situations.  One does not need to abuse someone to get them to reach your main objective.  Abusing them only works temporarily as it instills fear in them, but eventually abuse will come back to haunt them and cause damage to them in the long run.

Offline tlcrescue

• View Profile
i was in TLC
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2006, 12:50:00 PM »
On 2006-01-18 09:05:00, Anonymous wrote:

"What are smoke sessions?  

I'm interested in the entirety of the treatment model.  The philosophy of TLC.  I'd like to hear from someone who actually worked there what they think it is and their thoughts on it how effective it is."

smoke sessions are where they basically exercise the child until they literally collapse from exhaustion.  For example, one may be forced to do pushups for several hours on end and if you refuse or you stop, they will become even more harsh on you.  There are many others ways of "smoking" someone, but this is just one example of many.  There are a variety of things that will cause you to get "smoked", some of the least offensive being (and these are examples only, and not limitations):(1) urinating on yourself/your bed (and this occurs because you have been denied bathroom privileges); (2) sharing/stealing food (and of course, this occurs because you have not been adequately fed).  Get the gist of it?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
i was in TLC
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2006, 12:52:00 PM »
As you know the boot camp is completely different from the Residency section of TLC.

In BootCamp the Cadets are exercised from sun up to sun down.  We drill the Cadets on how to properly fold their clothes and put everything in its right place.  Cadets are also responsible for cleaning not only their own area where they sleep but also cleaning their surroundings.

When one cadet steps out of line they are exercised as a punishment.  If the whole squad/group is acting out or not doing what they are suposed to be doing they get what is refferred to as a Smoke Session.  This is when they are drilled with exercises and or marching drills until we feel like they are done.
I know that sounds kind of harsh but the cadets need to learn that they can't get away with these kinds of childish games.

When a child is hurt or sick we do take that into account when it comes time for exercising.  Every night it was my responsibility to take sick call and report any findings to their advocates.

We feed them 3 meals a day and they get bathroom breaks before and after they eat.  At night they have time for personal hygiene and personal time.

The Bundy's the owners I believe set up the program very well.  The problem is not the program but the few Sergeants that don't follow all the rules set by the Bundy's.

Offline tlcrescue

• View Profile
i was in TLC
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »
On 2006-01-18 09:02:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I know people will hate me for this but I agree with the Smoke Sessions and with the amount of exercising the cadets have to do.

Is there something particular you have in mind?"

I have to ask, how intimately are you familar with the "smoke sessions" and how much exercising they do?  Do you agree that that 18 hours of exercising a day is appropriate?  While some individuals may be able to handle that (not many I presume), not everyone can handle it the same way, especially in the beginning.  How can they expect someone who has never exercised in their life to exercise 18 hours a day?  Especially an overweight person.  Are you familiar with rhabdomyolysis?  Do you know that over-exertion (i.e. TOO MUCH exercise) can cause this condition and ultimately kill you if not discovered and treated?

Rhabdomyolysis is the breakdown of muscle fibers with leakage of potentially toxic cellular contents into the systemic circulation. The final common pathway of rhabdomyolysis may be a disturbance in myocyte calcium homeostasis.

(1) Severe exertion such as marathon running or calisthenics
(2) Ischemia or necrosis of the muscles (as may occur with arterial occlusion, deep venous thrombosis, or other conditions)
(3) Seizures
Use or overdose of drugs-especially cocaine, amphetamines, statins, heroin, or PCP
(4) Trauma
(5) Shaking chills
(6) Heat intolerance and/or heatstroke
(7) Alcoholism (with subsequent muscle tremors)
(8)Low phosphate levels

Interesting that Roberto Reyes died of this very disease (and if you don't believe me, I have the autopsy report).  Of course, it is presume that this was caused by a "spider bite", however the autopsy report shows no indication on the body of a spider bite...it is mere speculation.  The autopsy report DOES show the multiple contusions and bruises he suffered

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
i was in TLC
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2006, 01:13:00 PM »
What Id like to know is why torture via forced exercise and humiliation during most or not waking hours of the day is somehow a good thing at all?  :roll:

You know, if Mama Cass Elliot would have shared that damn sandwich
with Karen Carpenter, they would both still be alive today!!!!!!!

--chongo

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
i was in TLC
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »
I don't know exactly what happened with Roberto Reyes but while I was at TLC during normal exercising we would exercise them and then let them strecth and give them a big enough break that the only people that were still winded were those that were of a heavier set.

During smoke sessions that I was in charge of I remember exercising them, then having them stop listen to me complain about the situation and then exercising them again.  I always tried to give them enough of a break to assure their well being.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
i was in TLC
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2006, 07:07:00 PM »
On 2006-01-18 10:15:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I don't know exactly what happened with Roberto Reyes but while I was at TLC during normal exercising we would exercise them and then let them strecth and give them a big enough break that the only people that were still winded were those that were of a heavier set.

During smoke sessions that I was in charge of I remember exercising them, then having them stop listen to me complain about the situation and then exercising them again.  I always tried to give them enough of a break to assure their well being."

Riiight... I asked

What Id like to know is why torture via forced exercise and humiliation during most or not waking hours of the day is somehow a good thing at all?  

And you answered... nothing. You just gave a press release about "normal exercising" with stretching, etc (I SERIOUSLY doubt you people stretch right... or for that matter warmup, cool down, or eat right, or avoid overtraining. BTW, I did Muay Thai Kickboxing, wanna talk conditioning?  :roll: ) children, or as one of the threats theyre subject to for if they willingly break, or inevitably accidnetally break one of the litany of draconian rules of TLC?

Oh, and dont you fucking DARE say anything about my tone... Id love to have a recording of how that programs ran! Hell, you just might make R Lee Ermey proud!  

Harmlessly passing your time in the grasslands away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
you better watchout,
there may be dogs about.
I've looked over Jordan, and have seen.
Things are not what they seem.

--Roger Waters 1977

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
i was in TLC
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2006, 01:33:00 AM »
Is it possible, anon (former TLC employee) that you just didn't know what you were looking at? Most of the time when kids die in these places, the last words they hear are something like "You think you can manipulate your way out of hiking, ya little puke! You're disgusting! You don't even have the decency to puke away from yourself! You smell like you shit your pants! Did you shit yourself, you worthless little punk?!"

In one case I read about, they actually kept toting the kid around, exercising him for at least half an hour after the time of death. Do you understand how group-think works on that level?

And I'm really curious to know how you came into that particular job. I understand Thayer pretty much hires any warm body off the street. But I've also heard that the new guys are watched as closely as the inmates till they show some some solidarity. Did you experience anything like that?

The clergy know that I know that they know that they do not know.
--Robert G. Ingersoll, American politician and lecturer

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes