Author Topic: Typical Day at Sagewalk  (Read 66891 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Typical Day at Sagewalk
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2005, 04:10:00 PM »
This is supposed to be a wilderness program, you know, hardship, endurance,spartan, all that?

All you're doing--from your comfortable seat by a computer terminal--is regurgitate stupid lame bureaucratic rules from various governmental entities---I'd much rather leave setting the limits to somebody who is actually a wilderness type--not some lame bureaucrat who is even more sessile than your average poster here

Maybe this program sounds rigorous to you but obviously kids are getting through it fine (and don't give me a bunch of crap about some rare case where a kid with a disease or something died in one of these programs---that's not what we're talking about here and you know it)

And bottom line: it helped Doug among (I bet) plenty of others: I'll take the word of somebody who was actually in the program over somebody talking about it on a computer terminal (like you) any day of the week

Admit it--you just hate these programs and are looking for any old way to nit pick at them
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Typical Day at Sagewalk
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2005, 04:20:00 PM »
On 2005-07-26 13:10:00, Anonymous wrote:

"And bottom line: it helped Doug among (I bet) plenty of others: I'll take the word of somebody who was actually in the program over somebody talking about it on a computer terminal (like you) any day of the week"

Bottom line: I have personal experience with a program and don't feel they are beneficial. Since I am on a computer terminal, am I unbelievable? Are you not on a computer-- please enlighten us?

Admit it--you just hate these programs and are looking for any old way to nit pick at them

:roll: Sometimes you think you are speaking to adults and then they say something like this.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Typical Day at Sagewalk
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2005, 04:47:00 PM »
This programs are pulling in an easy million bucks a year with little to no overhead.

I mean, they hike on free land, do they not?

The parents pay for all the supplies.

This is a virtual gold mine.

Don't let the teen helper wannabee's fool ya.

It's the money, stupid.

:rofl:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Typical Day at Sagewalk
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2005, 04:57:00 PM »
We're not just a bunch of people who don't like this place. Most of us on here were in places that also tried to completely break our spirits, minds, and anything else they could all in the name of LOVE. We know the same thing when we see it in another program and also are very aware that those who go through it and come out believing in the program are probably not thinking for themselves or are even aware of what just happened to them. That's their goal and what these sorts of places are designed to do. We know what it is because we've been there.

How did you get your opinion on the place?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Typical Day at Sagewalk
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2005, 05:03:00 PM »
Yeah since when did brainwashing people become synonymous with Love. Yeah...I love my boyfriend so much that whenever he does things that aren't good, I simply lock him in the house, only feed him a slice of bread a day, tell him over and over how "bad" he is and how much I love him, and make him talk about how he feels. When he starts talking about how sorry he is for everything, then I start to give him some more bread. After all, he's really earned it. He's worked hard and is starting to realize what true Love is. After a time, I let him out in the backyard, but only under close supervision. You see, he is still fairly "bad" and must be monitored. It's for his own good. He is slowly starting to realize just how much I love him, and becomes more thankful for my close and loving attention. He starts to agree with me more. I let him in the front yard. One day, I let him write in his diary, although I go later while he is asleep and read the entry. I read all about how grateful he is for my loving care. How much he has grown and how he hopes one day to be able to earn my trust. The next day I reward him with a tuna sandwich. He is delighted!! We both have a great day.

ETC....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Typical Day at Sagewalk
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2005, 05:45:00 PM »
On 2005-07-26 14:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Yeah since when did brainwashing people become synonymous with Love. Yeah...I love my boyfriend so much that whenever he does things that aren't good, I simply lock him in the house, only feed him a slice of bread a day, tell him over and over how "bad" he is and how much I love him, and make him talk about how he feels. When he starts talking about how sorry he is for everything, then I start to give him some more bread. After all, he's really earned it. He's worked hard and is starting to realize what true Love is. After a time, I let him out in the backyard, but only under close supervision. You see, he is still fairly "bad" and must be monitored. It's for his own good. He is slowly starting to realize just how much I love him, and becomes more thankful for my close and loving attention. He starts to agree with me more. I let him in the front yard. One day, I let him write in his diary, although I go later while he is asleep and read the entry. I read all about how grateful he is for my loving care. How much he has grown and how he hopes one day to be able to earn my trust. The next day I reward him with a tuna sandwich. He is delighted!! We both have a great day.

ETC...."

Yep, and to think some parents think they can actually buy their kid's love and respect for $40k.

Just re-engineer their hearts and minds.  

Yep, that'll do the trick.

I'll get a brand new teen.  One that thinks and acts like Mommy and Daddy's little boy.

How many times have we heard this lunatic parents say ... "I GOT MY LITTLE BOY/GIRL BACK" ???

This behavior mod training is regressive.

Strips kids of their critical thinking skills and leaves them hungry for any kind of attention at all.

Sick heads!

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Typical Day at Sagewalk
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2005, 06:38:00 PM »
Sorry, not legal for any child caring facility to be 'spartan' when it comes to food, hygiene, and such.

The 'one who was in the program' doesn't realize that what he experienced is considered abuse by most resonable people and licensing agencies.
His parents would no longer have custody if they'd subjected him to the very same 'treatment' and go caught.

Kids who are beat with belts think they're just being disciplined too, cause that's how they'be been taught to perceive it. And that they deserve it. And that's it's the only way to discipline.

Why don't you stick with the specific points anon? Why limited calories, and unpleasant choices, and no variety? There are so many other ways in which they could torture. Or would they be as effective if the kids weren't starved or puking from being forced to eat crap?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Typical Day at Sagewalk
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2005, 08:31:00 PM »
On 2005-07-26 12:50:00, Deborah wrote:

"

Doug,

You can find the Oregon Regulations for Wilderness here:

http://www.wilderness-programs.org/Regu ... Oregon.htm

Compared to other states I?ve read (Utah, Ga, Tx) they are particularly lame. Leaves a lot of decisions and policies to the program owner. On many issues, which the state would normally dictate, it has been left to the program to ?create and implement? its own policies.

FOOD:

The narrator on BC said the teens ?must? consume 1800 calories- used as an excuse to justify forcing the kid to eat oat mush until he puked.  USDA and Oregon Regs state 3,000 given their level of physical exertion and cold weather. That means you provide a minimum of 3,000 calories and have extra on hand. It would not allow for ?rationing? to denying food as punishment.

Based on the ?menu? you provided: 2c dry oats, 1c dry milk, raisins, 2c granola, 1c rice, 1c lentils-  we?re talking 1300 calories, at best.  A long way from 3,000. Not even half of what?s recommended.

And WHO eats plain, dry oats? Followed by a quart of water? That?s going to expand in the gut. It certainly will give one a sense of fullness, and could cause anyone to puke.

You mentioned that lunch was optional. If so, then why force feed them 2c dry oats and a quart of water at breakfast?  And why force them to eat all they prepare? Especially early on. I?m sure they have no idea that the rice, oats and lentils are going to double or triple in volume after cooked. What kind of spice made you vomit?  FYI, it would never be considered appropriate to force children to eat in any child caring institution or situation, and certainly inappropriate to take away any meal as punishment, as you say was the case with lunch. How could they begin to consider taking away any meal when they as so far below the caloric recommendations to begin with?

I don?t think you understand how unconscionable this ?treatment? is.  And unnecessary. This would not fly anywhere but a program.  It flies because the owners of the programs in Oregon had a hand in the creation of the regulations.  

Imagine this:  a group of daycare owners dictating to the state the rules they will be subject to. Ha! Would never happen. And a daycare owner would be out of business if s/he did any of these things.

You can teach teens how to ?take care of themselves?, even in the wilderness, without going to such austere and extreme measures. There is another MO operating here- deprivation/ submission.

And what if you didn?t find firewood? How would you prepare rice/lentils and/or stay warm at night?

Hygiene:  You wash in the same cup you eat from? Same rag everyday?

And clean your cup after eating, with mud? Nowhere else would this be allowed.

What provisions were there for wash your hands after visiting the latrine?

Packs: You weighted 115# and carried an 80# pack? They aren?t supposed to exceed 30% of the participant?s weight (38# in your case). Plus water jugs- 10-20#? Plus rocks for cussing?

I hope someone in Oregon who can act on the information you provided, and the BC series, is paying attention.

"

The amounts I described were bare minimums. You could eat anywhere from 2 cups to a full cup (5 cups). Yes, most kids during the first couple of days out will puke at least once, but not because they're forced to eat too much but rather because it just doesn't taste very well. No "force feeding" happens, you just sit there until the food is consumed. As for rationing, if you run out of a luxury (brown sugar, raisins, granola, cheese, sausage, powdered milk etc), you're out of luck, but for R/L and Oats, they will supply you with more.

I don't know where your calorie assumptions are coming from, but I know for a fact that there is much more than 1,300 calories consumed a day. Did you notice a theme with all the base foods, Oats, Granola and R/L? All are high-carbohydrate foods.

Oats were not eaten plain and dry, oats were supplemented with water, powdered milk, brown sugar and raisins (assuming you had rationed well, which really wasn't difficult). The oats were my favorite meal by the end of the program. I liked the granola a lot at the beginning of the program but by the end, it tasted *too sweet*, go figure :grin:. Oats did not expand in the stomach, never had that problem, nor did anyone else. Uncooked R/L hurt like a ($*#(* though.

The requirement of oats in the morning was to ensure some calories/energy. Why force them to eat everything they prepare? Well technically, we don't have anywhere to throw the food away. If the food was discarded, it would easily attract many scavengers. That and its just principle, why waste?

The counselors explicitly told new kids to the program to start with 2 cups of R/L and this was also reiterated by other campers heavily. There was no attempt to deceive me into eating more. I can't remember all the spices that I put into the R/L I had that night, but I know I had put some salt and garlic powder in there. I know there was more in there, and I put too much in.

I believe there was only one night we did not have firewood, we had hiked a long ways to a new camp, it was after dark by the time we reached the campsite, so before we did camp setup, we ate oats instead of the R/L and then setup and slept.

As for the whole temperature factor. I experienced everywhere from 80 degrees at thebeginning of my program in October at the High desert site to -16 one night in the mountains in Decemeber. I know what these kids on BC are experiencing. If they're complaining about being cold, it's because they're too damn whiny.  We were issued sleeping bags that are rated -20 degrees F. These puppies kept me frickin' blazing despite the below zero temperatures. That and we were given more damned winter clothing than I have ever owned in my entire life, and I live in Minnesota! Nothing pisses me off more than hearing people complain about the weather! At my program, it was *only* the girls that complained. One guy's sleeping bag was torn and became ineffective during a cold streak. The counselors were unable to get him a sleeping bag that night (too late). So what did he do? Him and 2 other guys created a burrito and kept his ass warm throughout the night, no complaints. Now that's %*#$(*ing camaraderie!

Yes, we ate from the same cup we washed with, cups  and rags were both cleaned and checked prior to food consumption.

Mud was used to clean cups. Extremely effective cleaner, as it can get char off the side of the cups from the fire. Sounds unsanitary but it really isn't. Mud was rinsed from cup after cleaning and required a check-off.

We were given Purell anti-bacterial stuff after we used the latrine.

About the packs, in retrospect, the packs were definitely not 80 pounds, I can't remember where I got that number, but thinking about it, it was not that much. It was definitely at least 50 though. Water jugs were carried by hand, not on the pack itself, and rocks were usually carried in pockets, not the pack.

Still not seeing how this amounts to mistreatment. Seems fairly tough, but it is doable for anybody. And if anything, it builds character. The reason I stumbled upon this forum was an attempt to get ahold of another kid that I attended the program with. We both actually *wanted* by the end of our programs to go camping very similar to what we had done at SW (sans time-limits and R/L, LOL).

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
Typical Day at Sagewalk
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2005, 08:37:00 PM »
This is a great thread despite tempers flaring. I like hearing both sides and now for my own two cents.

I went through a 'wilderness challenge' when I was fifteen. This was in 1976 and I guess the rules and perceptions were different.

Doug, we were not required to eat food we did not like. We were not forced to run 'fire drill' routines against the clock. We were allowed to cuss (which was cool since school and home forbade it). Drugs, cigarettes, sex, and weapons were forbidden. Some kids actually complained about not being allowed to smoke. No one took my three inch pocket knife away.

Instead of wasting time with this negative, spirit breaking stuff, we engaged in cool activities like trust falls, trust walks, making and crossing rope bridges, navigating obstacle courses where many obstacles required us to work as a team to get the whole team across. We went rock climbing and rapelling (sp?). It was fun. No body tried to escape; not even those who were court ordered to be there.

We did the same kind of therapy you descibe, but we had no 'impact letters.' Instead we made our own (list things you wish to change about yourself and what you can do to make that change). We laughed, cried, hugged, and had a great time and grew close.

And it worked just as well if not better than these, 'whip the kids into shape' nonsense activities.

One funny story is that at the beginning of the trip, I snuck two, one-pound cans of Dinty Moore beef stew into my pack. Later, when I got caught, a counselor said, 'If you can carry it, you can keep it.' I shared it with everyone (counselors, too) around a snowy campsite one night and was a hero.

I look back at the experience with fondness. That is how it should be.

I object to the treatment of the kids not because of specific abuses, but because of the lack of respect for the individual it shows. You don't teach people to be independent and responsible by riding them every minute, making them eat food, making them perform minor routines against the clock (and their will) and forcing them to agree to an ideology they just don't agree with. This only results in anger and resentment or situational adaptation. It doesn't work and the NIH did a years long study that concluded it doesn't work.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Typical Day at Sagewalk
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2005, 09:34:00 PM »
Deborah is either a soft pampered type who thinks that anything out of her pampered world is "torture"--- or she is a disingenuous fake person who is trying to make any kind of rigorous demanding program sound the same as beating a kid with a belt to use her example just because she hates any program and wants to tear them all down

Mighty glad I'm not her kid, bet her kid is messed up plenty, not cuz of any program, but cuz she's his parent

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Typical Day at Sagewalk
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2005, 10:33:00 PM »
On 2005-07-26 17:37:00, AtomicAnt wrote:

"This is a great thread despite tempers flaring. I like hearing both sides and now for my own two cents.

I went through a 'wilderness challenge' when I was fifteen. This was in 1976 and I guess the rules and perceptions were different.

Doug, we were not required to eat food we did not like. We were not forced to run 'fire drill' routines against the clock. We were allowed to cuss (which was cool since school and home forbade it). Drugs, cigarettes, sex, and weapons were forbidden. Some kids actually complained about not being allowed to smoke. No one took my three inch pocket knife away.

Instead of wasting time with this negative, spirit breaking stuff, we engaged in cool activities like trust falls, trust walks, making and crossing rope bridges, navigating obstacle courses where many obstacles required us to work as a team to get the whole team across. We went rock climbing and rapelling (sp?). It was fun. No body tried to escape; not even those who were court ordered to be there.

We did the same kind of therapy you descibe, but we had no 'impact letters.' Instead we made our own (list things you wish to change about yourself and what you can do to make that change). We laughed, cried, hugged, and had a great time and grew close.

And it worked just as well if not better than these, 'whip the kids into shape' nonsense activities.

One funny story is that at the beginning of the trip, I snuck two, one-pound cans of Dinty Moore beef stew into my pack. Later, when I got caught, a counselor said, 'If you can carry it, you can keep it.' I shared it with everyone (counselors, too) around a snowy campsite one night and was a hero.

I look back at the experience with fondness. That is how it should be.

I object to the treatment of the kids not because of specific abuses, but because of the lack of respect for the individual it shows. You don't teach people to be independent and responsible by riding them every minute, making them eat food, making them perform minor routines against the clock (and their will) and forcing them to agree to an ideology they just don't agree with. This only results in anger and resentment or situational adaptation. It doesn't work and the NIH did a years long study that concluded it doesn't work."

Well said!

Can you tell us the name of your program and also, post a link to the NIH study?

I think Outward Bound is a great program but they are highly selective of the kids they take (none by force, for example) and they are not punitive nor exploitive.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Typical Day at Sagewalk
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2005, 10:52:00 PM »
Doug,
I beg to differ with you. I saw on national TV a staff member standing over a kid making him eat burned oat mush that looked like crap. The kid was gagging. Staff told him that if he threw up he?d have to ?dig a new hole?. Whatever that means. The narrator calmly explained that they ?must eat 1800 calories per day?, justifying force.  

You contradict yourself later by saying that they were forced to eat all they prepared, to avoid critters and waste. For future reference, a really good way to discard unwanted food is to dig a hole and bury it, then pee on it.

FYI, I wasn?t implying that they were attempting to deceive you into eating more. I saw the very real possibility and likelihood of a kid cooking way more than they could consume, due to ignorance, and then being forced to eat it.

As for the calories, you can calculate them yourself using the USDA calorie chart:
http://adam.about.com/care/weightloss/w ... chart.html
Yes, I noticed that all the food was hi-carb. How about some nuts and seeds?
It may not have been a problem for you but, all grain and beans expand in water. How did you choke down uncooked rice and lentils? And why would you? I?d imagine that they would be damn near impossible to digest.

Regarding the temperature. A lot of kids are from warmer climates. It can take years to acclimate to a different climate. Some, who make radical moves never fully acclimate. How whiny would you have been if they had sent you to the blazing desert in Utah or Arizona, hiking in 90-100* temperatures. Might?ve been a wee bit warmer than you are accustomed. Not surprising that the girls were the ones to complain.

And speaking of girls? and you may not know the answer, but perhaps there is a female amongst us that does. Where and how did they dispose of their used FH products? I mean, talk about attracting predators.

I can appreciate your comments regarding camaraderie. Both my sons were in programs 4 years apart (against my wishes) and their only fond members are of a few people they met there. Doesn?t excuse the abuse.  Why are you searching for your comrades on the internet? Why don?t these programs allow the kids to exchange contact info?

The whole washing in the same cup you eat from is just not sanitary, and I have to wonder how many of the vomiting incidents were due to unsanitary conditions rather than bland food.

I feel certain the kids are carrying more weight than they should. Compare what you said with Utah Regs (not that the programs in Utah necessary comply):
Regs state that packs: shall not exceed 20 percent of the consumer's body weight. If the consumer is required to carry other items, the total of all weight carried shall not exceed 30% of the consumer's body weight.

Under Utah Regs your pack should not have weighed more than 23# and total weight of everything, including water and rocks, should not have exceeded 35#.

Sounds like you made the best of a bad situation. Good that you didn?t leave with a negative association- hating nature.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Typical Day at Sagewalk
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2005, 11:10:00 PM »
"I saw on national TV...", this sums up Deborah.

"It can take years to acclimate to a different  climate." Oh grow up----you relentlessly silly woman---people---especially young people---are a lot more resilient than you try to make them out to be--

And here you are, apparently worried about sanitary napkins that might be found by predators...and choking on uncooked lentils for God's sake...I think the camp people can handle all this City Girl

News flash, Deborah: these kids in the Brat Camp programs---nd the various othe programs you try to drum up complaints against---are NOT YOUR CHILDREN

Their own parents will make the determination of what is needed in their lives. It's not your business--so get a hobby or something to fill your days

Seems to me that this is all about avoiding how badly you managed the upbringing of your own children---by concentrating in things outside of that central issue(yeah I hear that you didn't want your kids in program--but why did your husband--and/or the courts---put them there: you obviously hadn't done a stellar job in bringing them up to be productive citizens)

These programs are doing good---leave them alone---what good are you doing with your endless, detailed clueless posts that transparently try to portray evil and danger where there is really possibility and potential???

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Typical Day at Sagewalk
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2005, 11:24:00 PM »
On 2005-07-26 20:10:00, Anonymous wrote:

""I saw on national TV...", this sums up Deborah.

"It can take years to acclimate to a different  climate." Oh grow up----you relentlessly silly woman---people---especially young people---are a lot more resilient than you try to make them out to be--

And here you are, apparently worried about sanitary napkins that might be found by predators...and choking on uncooked lentils for God's sake...I think the camp people can handle all this City Girl

News flash, Deborah: these kids in the Brat Camp programs---nd the various othe programs you try to drum up complaints against---are NOT YOUR CHILDREN

Their own parents will make the determination of what is needed in their lives. It's not your business--so get a hobby or something to fill your days

Seems to me that this is all about avoiding how badly you managed the upbringing of your own children---by concentrating in things outside of that central issue(yeah I hear that you didn't want your kids in program--but why did your husband--and/or the courts---put them there: you obviously hadn't done a stellar job in bringing them up to be productive citizens)

These programs are doing good---leave them alone---what good are you doing with your endless, detailed clueless posts that transparently try to portray evil and danger where there is really possibility and potential???

"

Jeez, looks like Deborah is a real thorn in your side Anon.  That's good.  Maybe you can try arguing facts instead of relying on personal attacks?

The question about FH, was a legitmate one. In fact, it was a damn good question.

Got an answer????

:silly:

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
Typical Day at Sagewalk
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2005, 12:07:00 AM »
I don't think your tone is constructive.

I have read dozens of articles on this subject and consulted with friends and family. My sister has a PHD in adolecsent psycology, my wife is a board certified psychiatrist. My wife has worked in drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs, in prisons, and with the homeless. She pointed out the success ratios these programs claim are insane. If they use follow-up at all, they use unreliable self surveys. A kid is not going to risk going back by telling the company that runs his program that he has fallen back into his old habits.

Both my wife and sister informed me about something called 'situational adaptation.' It is a problem in almost all rehabilition programs. It is basically similar to Stockholm Syndrome. The patient in the rehab program will genuinely change their psycology to reduce the negative stresses the programs place on them. They are not faking it, and so appear to be helped. but when the program is over, the adopted behavour doesn't stick. Thus coercive programs usually don't work. A person has to want to change. They cannot be forced.

I won't pretend to be an expert on the subject, but there are just too many bad stories out there to ignore.

To me it is simply unconscionable to place a child in a situation where they are isolated and in the hands of strangers. If abuse does occur, they have no recourse and no one will believe them. I would not let my children go to SW anymore than I would let them sleep in Michael Jackson's bed. I don't care if he was aquitted, it just ain't right.

The program I attended was called simply Wildnerness Challenge. I don't know much of the details because I never looked into it, but it was not a for profit affair. It was sponsored by the school district. The director was reputed to be a survivalist expert who had trekked to the N. Pole. The groups were chaperoned, yup, along with our guides/counselors we had chaperons. In my group, our chaperons included my eighth grade english teacher and the principal to the school where I attended sixth grade. I had adults I knew and trusted with me.

The program was offered through the high school. I don't know how all the kids were recruited. I was convinced to go by a friendly 'intervention' of kids and teachers I knew. They talked me into it. It was only after the program that I was informed by one of the kids that they had been instructed not to let me leave the room until I agreed. That stung a bit.

Of the eight kids in my group, three of them were my classmates. The program was essentially, community based. I remember how it made me feel good to know these people all cared about me.

Oh, I was just told to add the following:

These for profit programs don't find fault with the parents because they want their money. Therefore, they place all the blame on the kids. This allows the parents to feel less guilty by shipping the problem child away instead of dealing with him/her as a family. The child may change, but is returned to an unchanged family and any gains will be either reversed, or suppressed due to the child's new found fear. These repressed problems will come out with a vengeance once the child becomes an adult and moves out.