Author Topic: What critics say  (Read 8757 times)

Offline Cidsa

• View Profile
    • http://cidsa.blackmage.org/
What critics say
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2005, 05:27:00 AM »
I'm curious as to how much the program had to cover up in order to show it on television.
Plus, how much are they intruding on the kids? The kids didn't ask to be there and I really doubt they wanted to talk about their issues in front of even a small group of people, let alone MILLIONS.

This show is awful, was ABC paid off in order to get more parents sucked into this bullshit? I suppose this gives you guys a little bit of sway now..

You can refer to this television program and how awful it was and say that these programs are like this but just a hundred times worse and explain how they were lessening it for the cameras.

Since people have actually viewed it for themselves, the things you have to say to them might have a lot more staying power than just your words alone.

That's the only semi-positive side to this show. What a terrible program! After nice shows like Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, I have to really really wonder. I still think it's because the network was paid off...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Cidsa

• View Profile
    • http://cidsa.blackmage.org/
What critics say
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2005, 05:39:00 AM »
On 2005-07-14 11:04:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Your post tells the whole story and you still don't get it.

People in this country---parents, media types, CPS, whoever---just don't buy the line you're selling that putting limits on a kid is abuse.  

It's just a few malcontents like yourself who think that putting a defiant drug abusing kid in a program is abuse.

Oh you may find a scum bag lawyer here and there who will try to trump up a case in certain circumstances but without enough stupid gullible people on the jury, that case is going to go nowhere

Bottom line: reason there is virtually no criticism of Brat Camp (which btw I think should NOT have been televised  because these kids deserved privacy in working out their problems) is because the country (except for some posters here apparently) has collectively grown up and is no longer willing to let adolescents run wild and ruin their lives in the name of unguided self-expression"

Although everyone has already totally disproved your comments, I had to add in my two cents.

Personally, I feel that enrolling a child into any kind of program is a form of abandonment and thus abuse. If you can't handle your kid, you don't just stick them some place..that's terrible parenting right there.
Teenagers will rebel, they will do things that you don't like, they will feel all the emotions that you do. Just because they are not an adult, doesn't mean they don't feel the same things that you feel.

A defiant, drug-abusing kid is trying to COMMUNICATE something to you! They aren't trying to get you to ship them off and forget about them. They want you to love them, pay attention to them, UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY ARE GOING TROUGH. You were a teenager once, I'm sure you know how hard it is!

And as far as I'm concerned, those "scumbag" lawyers are damned heroes. They don't want to just suck out your money, I think they genuinely want to help. Just because they are a lawyer doesn't make them a rotten scumbag.

Ignoramuses like yourself make me sick. How can you even say those kinds of things without feeling any remorse? You obviously don't understand a thing about this issue or anything about kids.

I really hope that you don't have children yourself, if you do, I hope they get the hell away from you.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2005, 05:41:00 AM »
:nworthy:  :nworthy:

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
--Philosopher, Blaise Pascal

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2005, 10:04:00 AM »
Actually, I was heartened by the large amount of criticism I found in the press. Go to Google, choose news at the top, type in Brat Camp, and press Search. Most reviews thought the show disgraceful in that the kids were coerced and they should not be allowed to parade minor's emotional issues out on national TV.

What bothered me was that only a couple of articles mention the abusive industry as a whole and attempt to warn parents away.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
What critics say
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2005, 01:05:00 PM »
On 2005-07-16 02:39:00, Cidsa wrote:

I really hope that you don't have children yourself, if you do, I hope they get the hell away from you.

Think about that for just a moment. . . .

I hold out the same hope for children cursed w/ sadistic parents like these. My mom was a true, blue Nancy Reagan wannabe. Actually, more than that; she was a dedicated stepcraft practitioner and toughlove martyr a full decade before the Reagan admin. even began.

When I "acted out" (ya' know, by trying to look attractive to the opposite sex, taking an interest in activities that did not include my mother or church... the usual 'signs' of troubled youth) I was NOT trying to gain more attention from my mother! That was the LAST thing I ever wanted, believe me! What I was trying to do was just as you suggest above; I was trying to escape. And that was the unforgivable sin.

Oh, and BTW, according to industry watchers, the entire industry only has around 10k teenagers incarcerated at any one time. So, being generous, lets assume they get their sanctamonious, money grubbing paws on around 60k teenagers over the course of the 6 years between the ages of 12 and 18 (or one generation of teenagers). The total US population of ppl in that age group is roughly 26 million. So only around 1/500 families in this country are gullible enough to buy into this industry. And, evidently, they're delusional enough to sincerely believe they represent the vast majority.

One born every minute...

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
--Thomas Jefferson, U.S. President, author, scientist, architect, educator, and diplomat

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2005, 03:57:00 AM »
On 2005-07-14 10:17:00, Anonymous wrote:

"
sex addiction

Would it be called that if they were adult?"

Children and Teens if have problems such as this it is called sexually reactive.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2005, 06:12:00 AM »
Having a libido isnt a disorder. WTF is "sexually reactive"?

There is something feeble and contemptible about a man who cannot face life without the help of comfortable myths.
--Bertrand Russell, British philosopher, educator, mathemetician, and social critic

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2005, 10:30:00 AM »
Are all wilderness programs co-ed? Is this really where one would/should put their 'sexually addicted' teen.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's all bullshit. But using  their own reasoning, it still makes no sense.  :???:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2005, 10:32:00 AM »
On 2005-07-16 07:04:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Actually, I was heartened by the large amount of criticism I found in the press. Go to Google, choose news at the top, type in Brat Camp, and press Search. Most reviews thought the show disgraceful in that the kids were coerced and they should not be allowed to parade minor's emotional issues out on national TV.

What bothered me was that only a couple of articles mention the abusive industry as a whole and attempt to warn parents away."

I agree. Most of the reviews I read were of morbid curiosity and overall shock and disgust for the entire show's format. I guess that is what brings in the ratings these days... no mention of the industry at large though. I don't many people even know about it. One of those things you don't find out about until you are in it.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2005, 11:36:00 AM »
MSNBC.com
?Brat Camp? makes kids face up to their messes
But did they really have to be so literal about it?

COMMENTARY
By Linda Holmes
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 1:26 p.m. ET July 22, 2005

What was ABC to do with the former "Dancing With The Stars" slot? Another frothy, celebrity-filled romp? Perhaps this time John O'Hurley could learn to play the pennywhistle.

No, the spot went to "Brat Camp" (Wednesdays, 9 p.m. ET), which follows nine teenagers sent to a boot-camp program to recover from the sins of youth, from drugs to compulsive lying. Guided by counselors and purified by eating unadorned oats for breakfast, the kids brave November in the Oregon wilderness and learn about getting up early, cleaning up after themselves, and a "no low talking" rule.

In Wednesday's premiere, each camper was introduced with cheesy and unconvincing "candid" debauchery footage. To remind viewers who "Steals From Mom" and who has the "Violent Temper," captions are provided, just as "Pharmaceutical Representative" or "Waiter" is listed under the name of a "Survivor" contestant.

Even for a seasoned reality-show viewer, this "Extreme Makeover: Juvenile Delinquent Edition" premise is squirm-inducing. But perhaps no single moment was stranger than the discovery that someone had failed to use the latrine as directed, instead leaving ? well, a health hazard lurking in the bushes.

The hunt for the culprit led to a somber moment in which all the kids were gathered together to stare at the evidence. Say what you will about accountability and respect ? a bunch of kids forced to form a circle around someone else's "phantom dook," as the counselors labeled it, is ? weird.

The counselors would say their point was made when Jada ("Compulsive Liar") owned up. But still, it was likely not lost on the audience that there was a creepy metaphor in the revelation that maybe standing around in a big circle and staring at other people's messes isn't the healthiest thing any of us could be doing.

Linda Holmes is a writer in Bloomington, Minn.

© 2005 MSNBC Interactive
© 2005 MSNBC.com

URL: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8586591/

Education is that which remains, if one has forgotten everything he learned in school.
--Albert Einstein, Out of My Later Years, 1950

Offline YuckFou

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2005, 01:16:00 PM »
The counselors would say their point was made when Jada ("Compulsive Liar") owned up. But still, it was likely not lost on the audience that there was a creepy metaphor in the revelation that maybe standing around in a big circle and staring at other people's messes isn't the healthiest thing any of us could be doing.

:roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2005, 04:33:00 PM »
"NIH Panel Finds that Scare Tactics for Violence Prevention are Harmful -- Good news is that positive approaches show promise"

The NIH study found that these are better alternatives than using scare tactics and the like:

http://www.fftinc.com/model.php

and

http://www.mstservices.com/text/treatment.html
and see this for a list of programs in different states:
http://www.mstservices.com/text/licensed_agencies.htm

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2005, 08:41:00 PM »
On 2005-07-23 08:36:00, Antigen wrote:

"The hunt for the culprit led to a somber moment in which all the kids were gathered together to stare at the evidence. Say what you will about accountability and respect ? a bunch of kids forced to form a circle around someone else's "phantom dook," as the counselors labeled it, is ? weird.

Linda Holmes is a writer in Bloomington, Minn.

© 2005 MSNBC Interactive

© 2005 MSNBC.com

URL: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8586591/ "

I expected the reviews to be like this. Kind of like, 'what the fuck is this?' kind of review. It was just so weird.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2005, 07:27:00 PM »
How do they make the desert animals dig latrines?

Penalties against possession of a drug should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself
--Jimmy Carter