Author Topic: What critics say  (Read 8807 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 03:55:00 PM »
***BTW any therapist that thinks their clients are brats are in the wrong profession. Shame on you for working in a place like this!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, when the staff (Glacier) referred to some of the kids as 'punks' and 'brats', I wondered how many people would appreciate their therapist- the person who is supposed to understand that distressed people act in socially inappropriate ways- judging them with a derogatory label. How could you possibly 'help' anyone that you felt so much disdain for?

I also wondered how many thousands of people were watching who would now believe that they knew all there is to know about wilderness and begin to sell the program to any desperate parent who crossed their path.

The war on teens is disgusting and pathetic.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 03:56:00 PM »
How stupid were those psudo-names. Even the therapists didn't give their real name. Not a very trusting environment when someone won't even tell you there name. I agree, staff have wised up and finally figured out they might run into us one day, and we DO grow up!  :skull:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »
The therapists react thoughtfully but firmly.

Therapists, by whose definition?  Do they actually have and credentials?

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline iCare

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 02:19:00 AM »
This is the best post in this category. The tough love approach has gone out of control in the hands of power trippers like these sadistic hippy wanna bes. I'm the type who feels that kids need discipline but these camps go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond that. There's discipline, then there's psychological torture.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2005, 05:14:00 AM »
yeah we need to get tough on today's youth, because otherwise they might prove to be smarter and quicker and more intuitive than the rest of us, and they'll take over and we'll all be locked in old folks homes having to listen to their hipping-hopping rock and roll with the baggy pants and the bling, god help us.

Give me a break.  Just because the 45-55 babyboomer age group is the largest demographic, doesn't mean the kids don't exist.  It's their world too and life is short.

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 08:25:00 AM »
See the thing is we are smarter, faster, more physically fit, more tech compatable. We are better than they are, and they are scared of that.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 01:55:00 PM »
For me, the problem is the assumption that these are "bad" kids that need to be "fixed".  Does anyone know what their home life is like or even care?  I'm tired of crappy parents who don't know what they're doing, screwing up kids and then sending them away because they're tired of dealing with them.  Even if they have some kind of 'breakthough', I doubt it'll last once they have to deal with their home environment.  Did anyone from this show make sure they aren't being emotionally/physically abused at home?  Doubt it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2005, 06:01:00 PM »
Wednesday, July 20 at 9/8c

After the kids plot their escape and Isaiah runs off, tough new field instructors -- Aspen and Fire Shaper -- are brought in to help regain control. And the kids are taken on a hike through the snow... which turns into a raging blizzard.

Can't wait  :???:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2005, 10:07:00 PM »
Deborah--aren't you the psych school reject---now giving advice to counseling programs LOL?

Sounds like you're mighty hung up on language honey--so what if the counsellors say "punk" or "brats" maybe some of these kids thinks that's complementery.  That's the relative nature of language, something a concrete thinker like you can't get

The population has gone beyond you babe---and from what I hear--- the day after Brat Camp aired there was a flood of calls to two wilderness programs I know of, don't know about the dozens where I don't know anyone.

See maybe the TV program didn't give a full picture of wilderness programs (most TV programs don't give an adequate protrayl of much)---but what was on there was obviously a lot more compelling and interesting and real than the whining and raving and generally complaining that comes out of you and your compatriots here

Brat Camp is going to marginalize this scummy site even further

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
What critics say
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2005, 10:34:00 PM »
Thanks for showing your true colors, you sadistic bitch! Thank god your self isolated little circle of "friends" are the only ones who view this site as marginal.

Monthly Statistics for July 2005

Total Hits 821821
Total Files 564255
Total Pages 88651
Total Visits 27070

The weavers of linen and hempen cloth, ... may exercise their trades without paying any fine.
-- Adam Smith in The Wealth of Nations (chapter X, part II) notes:

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2005, 10:37:00 PM »
On 2005-07-15 10:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

I'm tired of crappy parents who don't know what they're doing, screwing up kids and then sending them away because they're tired of dealing with them.

You seem to assume that the kids must all be legitimately screwed up to begin with. Please google the terms "troubled teen signs" and read over the criteria by which this industry damns a kid to thought reform. You'll find that the "signs" of trouble describe your fairly typical teenager. It's the parents who are troubled. And, judging by broader responses to the program that just the industry buffs who land up here, it looks like only pretty screwed up parents ever fall for it.

Kids are pretty resilient. Even if their home life is not perfect, most people turn out ok. Even those of us who have been through a program manage to shake it off and get our acts together most of the time. The trouble is that the public perception seems to be that we're better off than those who didn't get the "benefit" of treatment. That's such a sad joke to anyone w/ any real basis for an opinion.

The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.
Anonymity Anonymous
return undef() if /coercion/i;

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2005, 12:10:00 AM »
I suppose it is an issue of perception. I didn?t see punks and brats. I saw teens from broken and/or ?dysfunctional? families who were grieving, who were fearful to the point of rage and/or self destruction, who were confused, hopeless, and helpless ('spoiled'). I saw teens in reaction to possibly never having had their real needs met, to having never been taught anything useful. To refer to them as brats and punks is disrespectful and mocks the real challenges and deficits they have to deal with. It was unethical and wouldn?t fly under any other circumstances.

How might the viewing public have felt and reacted if it had been the parents there and one of the ?staff/counselors? referred to a mom as a hysterical bitch with a shopping addiction? Or one of the fathers as a narcissistic adulterous bastard ? I?m imagining that wouldn?t have gone over real well. The staff with licenses should have them revoked for colluding with this so-called ?therapy?.

If that's not clear enough, how about this scenerio. You're sitting in the therapists office and s/he tells you that you are a selfish bitch and need to get over it. You might not feel like that person has your best interest at heart.

The term was in no way intended to be endearing or complimentary, nothing ?relative? about it. Only in the mind of someone desperately seeking justification. One might expect to hear these terms used by wardens at juvie, but in a 'therapeutic' setting? They have to use derogatory terms in order to justify the austere treatment of these young human beings, both unethical.

How many people were talking about the brats and punks and liars and thieves at the office on Thur? All gathered around the water cooler supporting each other?s sadistic view of the world. Hopefully there was an occasional sane person present to present a different perspective.
And that is why I can say, No, the population hasn?t gone beyond me. In fact, the masses have made little to no movement on this issue. I am not surprised in the least that the phones are ringing off the wall. American generally approved of this form of 'treatment'. And parents are getting more ignorant, and stretched, and lazy, and apathetic. You/they will be capitalizing on that for a while to come, unfortunately. Revel in the sadistic glory honey.

And to add insult to injury, they are tortured, punished, humiliated, and exploited for being who they were conditioned (taught) to be.  

FYI, I wasn't a reject. I was on the National Dean's Honor List and dropped out because I grew tired of memorizing and regurgitating useless rhetoric and theories. NOT TO MENTION, I had a son just home from a program who often needed to be 'counseled' til the wee hours of the morning due to the abuse he endured there. The psych industry bundles all his distresses into a nice package called PTSD. He trusted no one, so I became his 'counselor', and he'd tell you that I did a damn fine job. For that alone I should receive an honorary degree.  ::deal::
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2005, 12:41:00 AM »
On 2005-07-15 19:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Deborah--aren't you the psych school reject---now giving advice to counseling programs LOL?

Sounds like you're mighty hung up on language honey--so what if the counsellors say "punk" or "brats" maybe some of these kids thinks that's complementery.  That's the relative nature of language, something a concrete thinker like you can't get

The population has gone beyond you babe---and from what I hear--- the day after Brat Camp aired there was a flood of calls to two wilderness programs I know of, don't know about the dozens where I don't know anyone.

See maybe the TV program didn't give a full picture of wilderness programs (most TV programs don't give an adequate protrayl of much)---but what was on there was obviously a lot more compelling and interesting and real than the whining and raving and generally complaining that comes out of you and your compatriots here

Brat Camp is going to marginalize this scummy site even further

"

It's no surprise that someone that supports this garbage on TV would come here and belittle someone. It's quite disturbing that any parent would put their child in the hands of persons that speak like you.

So what if Deb doesn't have the "credentials" you think she should have. What a low blow to insult someone about lack of a college education. Not everyone has to take that path, nor does it make anyone less intelligent for not going to college. There are many ways for a person to learn and college is just one of the ways. A lot of people these days simply go to college because the job market is so competitve, not because they are trying to grow.

As long as I'm alive I'll keep speaking out about locking kids away. You can call it whining all you want, but I have a conscience and prior experience that makes me qualified to use my voice.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
What critics say
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2005, 01:53:00 AM »
On 2005-07-15 21:10:00, Deborah wrote:

How many people were talking about the brats and punks and liars and thieves at the office on Thur? All gathered around the water cooler supporting each other?s sadistic view of the world.

Flashback:

In 1993, I was working in an obscure corner of cubeland in Boca Raton, Florida. The Waco story was that day's Blue Dress, OJ trial or Michael Jackson story. I guess, based on documentary evidence, that the date is April 19th.

So, I'm in my office doing my cubeland run around, when I notice that half the office is cheering in the break room like the Dolphins just won the Super Bowl. Everything stops. The Branch Davidian compound has just caught fire. The ATF has had them under seige for untold days already. The people I work w/ day after day are cheering this event like... well, as above, like it's a goddamned football game!

I was digusted! I had been in a cult. As much as I hated it and would enjoy news of some of the leaders' suffering, there were children in there! How could anyone cheer about children being burned out?!

They just don't get it, Deb. I don't know how to explain it. They're not bad people to begin with. But they just don't get it.

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake when you make it again.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search?tag=circlofmiamithem&keyword=mark+twain&mode=books' target='_new'>Mark Twain