Author Topic: Three Springs Alumni  (Read 14228 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Three Springs Alumni
« on: July 07, 2005, 12:37:00 PM »
Welcome

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
--Anonymous

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Three Springs Alumni
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 01:35:00 PM »
Three Springs Waygookin,

Thanks for your post!  Your pointers need a tread of their own.  Hope you don't mind me starting one.

1) Programs are no substitute for parenting skills.

2) GO visit the Program unnannounced.

3) Here are a list of things I would look for myself:

1) Appearance of Facility. Do you want your child in a hobo village?

2) Quality of food. The food at Three Springs was not even fit for farm animals.

3) Overall Appearance of Residents. Does it look like their physical needs are being taken care of? Do they have clean, and maintained clothing? Does it look like their medical needs are being attended to in a proper manner? Some facilites are so understaffed this can be a real issue. Make sure at the very minimum the program has an onsite nurse. Even then some nurses are incompetent buffons. Look the kids over carefully, see if you can detect a perponderance of minor medical issues that do not appear to be attended to properly.

4) Require to see documentation about the number of physical restraints conducted monthly at the facility. If that number is higher than 2 or 3 for a program of 60, then start demanding answers. Is it all one kid? If it is whats being done? Is it a bunch of kids? Whats being done? If you do not like the answers, then LEAVE!

5) Look over the theraputic enviroment of the facility. As a counselor I had no problem making my kids work when they were acting silly. However, I do regret making them do pointless work as a consquence. Group Process is not a bad thing when conducted properly. If a group is acting poorly and they are suffering from their own lack of good behaviors, then they are feeling natural consquences. Now if the staff is imposing consquences, then ask how are they LOGICAL? How does it connect the poor behaviors, with the consquence? How does the consquence help the kid move onward in the program, and in life?

6) Last DO NOT TRUST EDUCATIONAL CONSULTANTS with the future of your child. They are money grubbing leaches who we used to jazz the place up for on a regular basis. The Three Springs head honchos used to love my campsite, because I was so adamant about it being clean. Programs will bend over backwards to kiss a EC's butt. GO visit the place yourself!!!

7) Alot of kids have issues that can not really be fully dealt with by the individual groups treatment models. Check to see if they have more specific treatment opprotunities availiable. Honestly, would you expect a kid who was molested to want to talk about it with a group of his peers? Is not going to happen. Not in the beginning anyway, so make sure that the facilites have the resources to help your kid deal with these issues.

Last thing long term residential programs are a serious step. Not one is needed for every kid. Sometimes kids just really do need parents.

PARENTS CHECK YOURSELVES OUT BEFORE YOU CHECK YOUR KID INTO SOME WILDERNESS, OR RESIDENTIAL HELL HOLE. YOU REALLY MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM AND NOT THE KID!

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Three Springs Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 10:56:00 PM »
//I have other thoughts to post on them as well.//

And I hope you'll post them.
IMO - this is what we need a lot more of - Ex-Staff willing to speak up and speak out.

I am so glad you took the time and effort to post your thoughts.

Offline Couture

• View Profile
Three Springs Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 03:21:00 PM »
Hey.....  Three springs caught my eye.  I graduated from Auldern Academy.  Did you have any contact with the people there?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Three Springs Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 06:40:00 PM »
That was a chilling read, thanks for writing it out.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Three Springs Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 03:15:00 PM »
What is really telling about this story is the fact the employees are educated, semmingly normal people.

I have  a few questions if you dont mind:

I'm curious did you know about these programs before you got a job there?

What was your general impression of the parents who sent their kids there from you personal interaction?

In your opinion, did you ever get the chance to actually 'help' any teenagers, overcoming problems or something else?

Did you form close relationships with the kids?

Have any kids contacted you since they have become adults and left the programs?

Are you shocked at how common restraints are when you first arrive? Do you get used to this?

thanks

Offline taylor

• View Profile
Three Springs Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 05:34:00 PM »
Were you a counselor at three springs?

Offline taylor

• View Profile
Three Springs Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 05:37:00 PM »
Can any x-three spring employees get in touch with me?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Three Springs Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 05:28:00 PM »
Do you know anything good or bad about Auldern Academy.  I need a good, very structured girls boarding school for my daughter, I need a place that she will succeed and be monitored and her have good wholesome fur while meeting some self esteem issues and being encouraged to excellence.  Help :smile:  :smile:  :smile:Lacey

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Three Springs Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 10:00:00 AM »
Do you know anything good or bad about Auldern Academy. I need a good, very structured girls boarding school for my daughter, I need a place that she will succeed and be monitored and her have good wholesome fur while meeting some self esteem issues and being encouraged to excellence. Help   Lacey

Here's two pieces of advice...
1. please dont jack a thread asking for advice for you when this is about Three Springs. Or, for that matter... threadjack at all. Its trollish.

2. Before you say you need a program in some form, why not start off with:
a. the problems she has, and proof of those problems (not program rhetoric or bullshit non-issues such as the wrong crowd or 'talking back', being 'unmotivatd', etc)
b. what youve done to help
c. why you need a program, and how it could possibly help.

If you want help with her self esteem, why not take her to get a makeover and some icecream? BTW, the words structured, succeed, monitored, wholesome, self esteem, issues, encouraged, and excellence reek of brochures and vague, generalized bullshit.

Everyone wants that for all their kids, blah blah blah. If she doesnt have an actual problem, she belongs at home, unless youre trying to abdicate parental responsibility.

Oh and you might want to keep in mind Ive yet to see a program that didnt use coersion, humiliation, LGA seminars, physical brutality or corporal punishment in some form or another (generally called 'restraint) that wasnt simply a mislabeled SCHOOL, and only a school, and that bootcamps, programs, et all that rely on those methods don't work! The NIMH has found the recidivism is not reduced.

It is the absolute right of the state to supervise the formation of public opinion.

--Joseph Goebbels

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Three Springs Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 08:25:00 AM »
On 2005-10-01 07:00:00, Nihilanthic wrote:

"
Do you know anything good or bad about Auldern Academy. I need a good, very structured girls boarding school for my daughter, I need a place that she will succeed and be monitored and her have good wholesome fur while meeting some self esteem issues and being encouraged to excellence. Help   Lacey

Here's two pieces of advice...

1. please dont jack a thread asking for advice for you when this is about Three Springs. Or, for that matter... threadjack at all. Its trollish.

2. Before you say you need a program in some form, why not start off with:

a. the problems she has, and proof of those problems (not program rhetoric or bullshit non-issues such as the wrong crowd or 'talking back', being 'unmotivatd', etc)

b. what youve done to help

c. why you need a program, and how it could possibly help.

If you want help with her self esteem, why not take her to get a makeover and some icecream? BTW, the words structured, succeed, monitored, wholesome, self esteem, issues, encouraged, and excellence reek of brochures and vague, generalized bullshit.

Everyone wants that for all their kids, blah blah blah. If she doesnt have an actual problem, she belongs at home, unless youre trying to abdicate parental responsibility.

Oh and you might want to keep in mind Ive yet to see a program that didnt use coersion, humiliation, LGA seminars, physical brutality or corporal punishment in some form or another (generally called 'restraint) that wasnt simply a mislabeled SCHOOL, and only a school, and that bootcamps, programs, et all that rely on those methods don't work! The NIMH has found the recidivism is not reduced.

It is the absolute right of the state to supervise the formation of public opinion.

--Joseph Goebbels

"

So that's your solution to low self-esteem?  Take her for a makeover and an ice cream?!?!?!?!

Of course, there appears to be more "show" than actually knowledge in what you say. Seems you have impressed some with 'fluff'......but how much experience do you really have with ANY program? When you say, "you have yet to see a program", does that mean anything you have read on the internet that agrees with what you want to believe, ignoring anything else and discounting anyone with a differing opinion?

I certainly hope that a poster with a child suffering for low self-esteem doesn't take your advice for a makeover and ice cream.  I hope they get the child therapy, counseling, or whatever is needed to help the child. What's your advice for a depressed child - take them to see a funny movie?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Three Springs Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 08:33:00 AM »
On 2005-09-29 14:28:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Do you know anything good or bad about Auldern Academy.  I need a good, very structured girls boarding school for my daughter, I need a place that she will succeed and be monitored and her have good wholesome fur while meeting some self esteem issues and being encouraged to excellence.  Help :smile:  :smile:  :smile:Lacey "

If you want to improve your daughter's self esteem, do not send her to a program. Most programs use a highly confrontational approach in order to break down the child, and re-mold them into an obedient little zombie.

Many of these programs pretend to do the exact opposite. Program salespeople will often tell you all kinds of tales about "empowering", "motivating", etc. etc. Don't fall for that. If you want your daughter to have any kind of self esteem, keep her out of the programs.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Three Springs Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 08:40:00 AM »
Nihil- go take your meds and stop spewing bullshit.
To the person inquiring about Auldern- this is not the place for accurate information.  This is the place for you to be blasted by pyscho-zealots for even considering doing something for your child.

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
Three Springs Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2005, 09:07:00 AM »

So that's your solution to low self-esteem?  Take her for a makeover and an ice cream?!?!?!?!

I think a huge point sailed right over your head. In this scenario of a girl-child with low self esteem - the kid gives a clue to the parent that she feels like she might be ugly, and the parent takes the reigns and involves themselves in that kids life in something directly aimed at the "I think I'm ugly" problem.  

Of course, if she felt fat, you'd probably pass by the ice cream shoppe, and head for a salad bar, while chit-chatting about how to make low fat and low calorie less boring.

I think Niles was describing the first step in parental involvement.  Of course there's more to it than a makeover and ice cream.  But living a normal life while working these things out like normal people builds self esteem from within, not in some artifically crafted emo-dome.

Possibly the worst thing for this type of kid is to isolate them from the rest of the world, while they're worked over by a peer group whose very nature is to wear down self esteem, and rebuild in it the image OF The Program, which is generally incongruent with normal society.

What happens to the thin veneer of self esteem then?

I certainly hope that a poster with a child suffering for low self-esteem doesn't take your advice for a makeover and ice cream.  I hope they get the child therapy, counseling, or whatever is needed to help the child. What's your advice for a depressed child - take them to see a funny movie?

Why is it that the first thing you want to do is make a generic teen malady into psychiatric emergency?  EVERY TEEN AT SOME POINT Goes through self esteem problems, depression, anger, generalized pissiness.

What's your advice to a kid with zits?  Plastic Surgery?
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Three Springs Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 10:01:00 AM »
On 2005-10-02 06:07:00, Helena Handbasket wrote:

"

I think a huge point sailed right over your head. In this scenario of a girl-child with low self esteem - the kid gives a clue to the parent that she feels like she might be ugly, and the parent takes the reigns and involves themselves in that kids life in something directly aimed at the "I think I'm ugly" problem.  

Of course, if she felt fat, you'd probably pass by the ice cream shoppe, and head for a salad bar, while chit-chatting about how to make low fat and low calorie less boring.

I think Niles was describing the first step in parental involvement.  Of course there's more to it than a makeover and ice cream.  But living a normal life while working these things out like normal people builds self esteem from within, not in some artifically crafted emo-dome.

Possibly the worst thing for this type of kid is to isolate them from the rest of the world, while they're worked over by a peer group whose very nature is to wear down self esteem, and rebuild in it the image OF The Program, which is generally incongruent with normal society.

What happens to the thin veneer of self esteem then?

Why is it that the first thing you want to do is make a generic teen malady into psychiatric emergency?  EVERY TEEN AT SOME POINT Goes through self esteem problems, depression, anger, generalized pissiness.

What's your advice to a kid with zits?  Plastic Surgery?"

You certainly seemed to have read more into the simpleton advice that was there.  So I assume you think the "makeover and ice cream" is fantastic advice??  Oh wait, you are going to act as interpreter and tell us what Niles REALLY meant to say.

Gee - ever stop and think when you take a child who thinks they are ugly to get a "makeover", you are confirming in their mind that you think they ARE ugly and need a makeover???  Ever think that going to the salad bar with a kid that thinks they are fat may be reenforcing that thought?  Ever think that if the kid IS fat, it may (or may not be) a symptom of something else, and not just a love of Oreos?

And how did you make the flying leap to isolating the kid?  or a psychiatric emergency? I never came CLOSE to saying anything like that. I believe if you READ my post, you will see I said "therapy, counseling, or whatever is needed to help the child"."  

Amazing how you can twist Niles' words into something that sounds a little more reasonable (at least on the surfact), but take mine and twist them into something outlandish.