Author Topic: Brat Camp  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
Brat Camp
« on: July 04, 2005, 11:04:00 AM »
I am not one to "get active", that doesn't imply I won't speak when disgusted.  ::puke::  

Last night I saw a trailer for a new "Reality Series" on a ABC network channel. I am not fond of "Reality Series" concept nor am I an ABC fan. So the idea of putting this show on the air only infuriates/disgusts me even more.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/bratcamp/show.html
 ::puke::
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Brat Camp
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 11:39:00 AM »
ya I saw the trailer too recently on ABC. This show looks stupid. I am wondering, will they soften it up because of the tv crew, and people will think its all cool and shit.. and send more kids to these stupid 'wilderness' camps. who thinks these things actually help? its such a scam. stupid fuckers. the show looks like it will suck, maybe they expect ratings on the sheer stupidity and shock factor. the music playing in the trailer made it seem like a 'journey' for some 'troubled' young teens. barf. this is trash.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Brat Camp
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 02:48:00 PM »
Have you all written to ABC and told them NOT TO AIR THIS PROGRAM "BRAT CAMP?"

I did.  If enough people write to them, perhaps they will not air this show.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Brat Camp
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 02:58:00 PM »
No, if you want to have an impact, write to the advertisers. After that, post those mails along w/ prominent logos and invite a boycott.

Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw.
--Bastard Administrator

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
Brat Camp
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 06:42:00 AM »
I couldn't help myself, I had to watch the premiere. Disturbing to say the least.

My significant other kinda saw them as a buncha brats that needed to be there. I saw a undercurrents of history. Parents saying they were at wits end, staff (with stupid "earth names") saying that Sage Walk was thier last hope. Please!

These kids were freaking out because they had 40 days in the desert/wilderness. But the also had time period of 40 days. Unlike Straight, which for me was indiffinite, with no idea when I would be released. These kids could see thier "graduation". I could not see mine.

Most disturbing comment was made by a parent, he said, "I know your mad at me now, whats important to me is what you think of me 5, 10 or 15 years from now"...My guess is that he has no idea what he is in for 5, 10, or 15 years from now.
 ::puke::
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Brat Camp
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 10:17:00 AM »
Yeah, the "Earth Names" was really retarded---maybe there's more to it though, than just stupid New Agery--maybe they realize the kids will be pissed later on and don't want to be easily identified and tracked down. [Miller and Ruth Ann Newton can be contacted at (727)392-3437]

The whole group of kids seemed to have lame, lazy, ineffective parents who couldn't deal with normal adolescent rebellion and teen angst.  I felt particularly bad for the girl who was molested by a family friend years prior---it's like she's being punished for it (blame the victim, anyone?).

It is truly disgusting and indicative of our fuckeed up culture that this is being marketed as "entertainment".  Probably the beginning of some social engineering expirament to make this type of shit more palatable to the population at large---"Straight--it's not just for druggies anymore".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Brat Camp
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 03:38:00 AM »
On 2005-07-14 07:17:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Yeah, the "Earth Names" was really retarded---maybe there's more to it though, than just stupid New Agery--maybe they realize the kids will be pissed later on and don't want to be easily identified and tracked down. [Miller and Ruth Ann Newton can be contacted at (727)392-3437]

The whole group of kids seemed to have lame, lazy, ineffective parents who couldn't deal with normal adolescent rebellion and teen angst.  I felt particularly bad for the girl who was molested by a family friend years prior---it's like she's being punished for it (blame the victim, anyone?).

It is truly disgusting and indicative of our fuckeed up culture that this is being marketed as "entertainment".  Probably the beginning of some social engineering expirament to make this type of shit more palatable to the population at large---"Straight--it's not just for druggies anymore"."

Anon ... you hit the nail on the head. Teen Helpers are Assembly Line Workers ... producing behaviorally correct teenagers.  It's a fucking nightmare what's happening in this country to our youth whether it happens in private programs or in compulsatory education (zero tolerance for non-compliance). Systematically, childhood is being erased. Welcome to the brave new world of one-size-fits-all behavior modification programs.

BRENT FACER (WWASPS) Interview with Rocky Mountain News:

Q. Is training in adolescent psychology, behavioral science or related fields necessary for staff members dealing with troubled teens?

FACER: No. Automakers learned a long time ago that if the right system is engineered , everyone who works on the assembly line is not required to be an engineer themselves. These programs have been carefully engineered by many professionals in the field, who not only have extensive educational backgrounds but also have scores of years of experience. The programs have been so carefully outlined in specific detail by these professionals that they can be easily followed and administered by properly trained individuals, according to their job description. The programs are continually monitored on a daily basis to insure that the designed outline is being followed. Again, the results that these programs are getting speak for themselves.

http://www.denver-rmn.com/desperate/sit ... rate.shtml

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
Brat Camp
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 04:00:00 PM »
I am really horrified, and sickened by this new show.  

my fear, which of course will become reality is that enrollment in wilderness programs will increase dramatically

they of course are showed a watered down version of what really happens at those places and now more children will be hiked to death out in the middle of nowhere.

ABC is now sacrficing children for ratings...wish I could pretend to be suprised.

I told all four that there are going to be some times where we don't
agree with each other, but that's OK. If this were a dictatorship, it
would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
--GW Büsh, CNN.com, December 18, 2000

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Brat Camp
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 06:41:00 PM »
hi kaydee, the other version of your quote that i have heard is "never explain yourself. your friends don't need it, and your enemies wouldn't believe it."

Is your email still the same? I just sent you one.

Offline PerfectStraightling

• View Profile
Brat Camp
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 02:31:00 PM »
Is the show coming on tonight? I watched it last time, kept switching the channel and switching it back. It was really disturbing, also I know that just because the "counselors" weren't yelling or calling them names people are going to think it's all OK. It's really disturbing. Yet, I will probably watch it again for some reason.  :???: It's like watching a trainwreck.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Brat Camp
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 02:43:00 PM »
Yeah, it's on again tonight.  The previews indicate that a kid is going to try to 'cop out'.  I bet you they catch him and bring him back on camera.  It's a propaganda technique designed to illustrate the 'futility of resistance'.  The Nazis did it in WWII, showing battlefield footage to the Dutch, Belgians, and others that depicted the Wehrmacht in action, but would NEVER show German soldiers being killed or German planes being shot down.  Selectively editing what the camera picks up is a common technique--notice how on say, 'Cops', you never see a policeman getting shot or even a successful elusion by a suspect?  The counselors will probably say some bullshit like "Johnny is having a hard time facing up to his feelings about being such a no-good (druggie/etc.) teen brat, that's why he ran.  We're going to help him through this...."  Kinda like in Straight, when someone would "misbehave" during Open Meetings, the staff would say something like "Billy thinks it's OK to try to hurt himself or others, but we're not going to let him because we care about him, right, Group?" to which the group would respond in unison, "Right, Staff"!  By keeping what's REALLY happening out of sight, it never enters into the mind of the observer.  On shows like Brat Camp, you're not even getting HALF the story--only the prepackaged, sanitized version.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Brat Camp
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 03:45:00 PM »
My listing says it's a repeat of part 2.

...the people have a right to keep and bear arms.
-- Patrick Henry and George Mason Debates

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Brat Camp
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 04:24:00 PM »
Someone please list the commerical sponsors as I am not able to watch that trash.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.