Author Topic: Does it help anyone?  (Read 5190 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Does it help anyone?
« on: June 23, 2005, 01:31:00 PM »
I have a kid who graduated HLA last year. She was completely out of control and after trying everything, HLA was a last resort for us.

I think it did help her face many of the issues she was dealing with but was too afraid to face. Getting and staying sober was what she needed to do to really look into herself.  They really did help her with that.

I also think there is ALOT wrong with the place.  There were some amazing counselors there. I'm hearing that many of the really good ones are gone now and there are lots of changes in management, etc.  It almost seems like the counsellors are "beaten down" and not allowed to do what they are hired to do, so they get disgruntled and kind of give up and leave.

We sent our kid there because we had NO other alternative. And with all of its faults (and there were many of them) it managed to help her.  I don't know whether at this point I would recommend the place to other desparate parents.

It's really kind of sad, because this place had alot of promise. Did it just change or was it always like that?  I know that none of the kids liked it there and I don't expect them to.  They don't get sent there to have fun.

But if there any parents out there who have had any positve experiences I'd be interested.  I'm not interested in hearing any more bashing.  I've heard all that and I agree with alot of it.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
Does it help anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 01:44:00 PM »
(Removed)[ This Message was edited by: OverLordd on 2006-01-17 12:20 ]
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Does it help anyone?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 04:20:00 PM »
I'll ignore the part about "loving my child" because  I don't want to get into a big fight, like what I've   seen over and over in this place.  If I didn't love her enough to try everything, including sending her there, she'd be dead.  You just have to trust me on that. Or not. Whatever.  As I said, she came back better than when she left.

The bad things were that there was too much staff turnover, which made for little continuity in the kids' treatment.  The academics were not as good as they could have been (no real SAT prep for kids taking the SATs) and they had the same rules for 14 year old kids that they did for 18 year old kids, which I thought was inappropriate.  

My daughter was never abused. She's pretty normal now, in college and adjusting well.    If you know of anyone who was abused, I would expect that you would report the school and warn others against it.

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
Does it help anyone?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 04:35:00 PM »
(Removed)[ This Message was edited by: OverLordd on 2006-01-17 12:21 ]

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Does it help anyone?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 05:51:00 PM »
I worked there. Im from Dahlonega. Are you going to North Georgia?Did you work at HLA?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Does it help anyone?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 06:31:00 PM »
You must have had a horrible experience there.  What  did they do to you?????

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
Does it help anyone?
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 07:13:00 PM »

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Does it help anyone?
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 08:15:00 AM »
There's plenty of information on the HLA threads to wade through - good and bad.  I suggest that you comb through those threads, as I'm sure you'll find them helpful.

I worked at HLA when they opened their doors in 1994.  It's the same now as it was then, just wrapped up in a prettier package (thanks to millions of dollars in revenue from duped parents).

They are a one-size-fits-all treatment center that treats all kids as "oppositional/defiant" regardless of their actual diagnosis (which, by the way, HLA does NOT PERFORM ANY PSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATION WHATSOEVER before "diagnosing" residents as "oppositional/defiant").

They are not properly licensed by the State of Georgia.  They employ techniques proven beyond doubt to harm developing children, including withholding of food as punishment and sleep deprivation.  Their "break-'em-down-'n-build-'em -up" philosophy sounds nice until one realizes no kid has ever been "built back up," but rather just horribly abused mentally and sometimes physically.

The staff turns over in its entirety often.  There are only two staff members currently at HLA from when I worked there, neither of whom are counselors.  

The original staff was from CEDU, a known abusive cult-like facility now closed due to its being properly exposed to the public and sueed out of business.  The people from CEDU included the headmaster, Rudy Bentz, who struck and killed a pedestrian while driving under the influence of alcohol (what would now be charged, at least in my state, as "vehicular manslaughter"), and who has been accused of assaulting children in his care and who has been fired from HLA and Swift River Academy for various innapropriate/abusive episodes with kids.  His wife, Jill, also worked at HLA and was also fired for much the same reasons.  There were two more CEDUites, Dean and Lauralyn, who ran the (still) unlicensed "wilderness" part of the "program," also both long since shitcanned from HLA.  But this gives an idea of where the philosophy came from.

The bottom line: HLA is a Behavior Modification Warehouse for kids to be held captive against their will, abused, neglected, denigrated and humiliated, all for ENORMOUS PROFIT.

Please go back through the other HLA threads to see what other former employees and inmates have said about HLA.  I think you'll find it educational at the very least.

Abusing kids for fun and profit the HLA way...
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
Does it help anyone?
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 09:04:00 AM »

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Does it help anyone?
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 10:52:00 AM »
Visit the website for HLA for directions.  No armed guards.  Have fun!
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
Does it help anyone?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 10:59:00 AM »
(Removed)[ This Message was edited by: OverLordd on 2006-01-17 12:22 ]

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Does it help anyone?
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 11:43:00 AM »
hope you have a good lawyer :smokin:

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
Does it help anyone?
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 11:55:00 AM »

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline SHH Anon Classics

• View Profile
    • http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?topic=13488&forum=41&start=34#165552
Does it help anyone?
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 12:08:00 PM »
Hidden Lake Academy is private property and unless you are delivering mail, or a UPS driver, a delivery service, or invited, you can be arrested for going onto their campus, just like any other private school. You should check with a lawyer before doing anything "questionable" in the eyes of the law.

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
Does it help anyone?
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 12:10:00 PM »

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.